Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-08-2016, 08:10 PM   #1
carwant.com.au
carwant.com.au

Default What is the Quickest 0-100 Time Theoretically Possible on Street Tires?

According to the video on the below web link, it is 2.05 seconds....

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...time-possible/

Just yesterday, Tesla announced the Model S P100D, which it claims can hit 60 mph in a scant 2.5 seconds. If true, that would make it quicker than every other car on the road other than the Ferrari LaFerrari and Porsche 918. For a family sedan, that's insane.

You have to wonder, though. Are we reaching the limit of how quick a car can be on street tires? Obviously, there are Top Fuel drag racers that can hit 60 mph in less than half the time Tesla claims it would take the Model S P100D. But those cars use tires that are radically different from what's used on street cars.

To figure that out, our favorite car nerd at Engineering Explained decided to do the math. Give his latest video a look to see what figure he came up with. It's a fascinating exercise, but the answer's also likely to change as street tire technology advances.

And who knows, when Bugatti finally releases performance figures for the 1500-horsepower Chiron, it could be even quicker.
carwant.com.au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2016, 10:41 PM   #2
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Default Re: What is the Quickest 0-100 Time Theoretically Possible on Street Tires?

Ken Block does 1.9 seconds.
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2016, 11:01 AM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: What is the Quickest 0-100 Time Theoretically Possible on Street Tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Ms View Post
Ken Block does 1.9 seconds.
On street tyres?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2016, 02:49 PM   #4
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
On street tyres?
Also define street tyres. There's a big difference between Pirelli/Continental flagship tyres and the povo package Neuton NT8000s I run.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-08-2016, 03:02 PM   #5
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does the Tesla do that on the stock tyres or are they drag tyres?

Apparently this is what Block uses on his 600hp Fiesta that does the 1.8
http://toyotires.com.au/tyres/passen.../2-proxes-r1r1

I'd guess street tyres would be tyres you can legally drive on the road with, which I believe is different from country to country.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2016, 04:09 PM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwant.com.au View Post
According to the video on the below web link, it is 2.05 seconds....

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...time-possible/

Just yesterday, Tesla announced the Model S P100D, which it claims can hit 60 mph in a scant 2.5 seconds. If true, that would make it quicker than every other car on the road other than the Ferrari LaFerrari and Porsche 918. For a family sedan, that's insane.

You have to wonder, though. Are we reaching the limit of how quick a car can be on street tires? Obviously, there are Top Fuel drag racers that can hit 60 mph in less than half the time Tesla claims it would take the Model S P100D. But those cars use tires that are radically different from what's used on street cars.

To figure that out, our favorite car nerd at Engineering Explained decided to do the math. Give his latest video a look to see what figure he came up with. It's a fascinating exercise, but the answer's also likely to change as street tire technology advances.

And who knows, when Bugatti finally releases performance figures for the 1500-horsepower Chiron, it could be even quicker.
No not reaching the physical limits , only reaching the the limits of how much you want to spend doing it .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2016, 04:37 PM   #7
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
Does the Tesla do that on the stock tyres or are they drag tyres?

Apparently this is what Block uses on his 600hp Fiesta that does the 1.8
http://toyotires.com.au/tyres/passen.../2-proxes-r1r1

I'd guess street tyres would be tyres you can legally drive on the road with, which I believe is different from country to country.
Sticky as but it has a very limited size range with a 265/35RZ18 the biggest they show on the product data sheet.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2016, 06:23 PM   #8
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd assume a powerful electric engine with sophisticated controls would have a significant advantage that power could be feed slowly to compensate for tyre spin, and the fact the electric engine is instanteous torque would mean that tyres are not as critical .. i.e. dont need to get it up in the revs on the torque curve to take off?
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2016, 06:16 PM   #9
Juicy330

Semi slicks are legal to drive on in WA so all comes down to how hard core you wanna go In street tyres

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Juicy330 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post