Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-10-2017, 10:23 AM   #1
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Imports and Asbestos ; what's the current status?

Wondering what has been peoples experiences with the current historic vehicle import situation (particularly from the USA) with the fixation on asbestos by Customs?

Is stuff still getting though OK? Have the number of imports dropped off?

My Uncle has been looking for an A-model coupe in the USA for a couple of years but now given up as he's been given many stories about problems getting stuff in. The issue is the unknown .. that IF you get pulled up (even after removing brakes, manifold gaskets, clutches etc) the unplanned cost could be crippling for many like him.

I've also been looking at a number of USA cars, but am in the same mindset ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2017, 04:36 PM   #2
Cheech
HELL YES

Default Re: Imports and Asbestos ; what's the current status?

Read the content within the following as well as the embedded links:

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...ining-asbestos

Basically, its a bunfight if you have any asbestos components.

2019 Ssangyong Rexton fourby (the daily driver, tow pig & snowmobile)
Cheech is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2017, 07:54 PM   #3
roKWiz
Cabover nut

No more imports of second hand trucks after 2018. All ages.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2017, 11:38 PM   #4
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been looking at a vintage British bike from the UK or Europe. I am thinking of giving up as it will be a punt on it getting busted for Asbestos here. No way will I be doing a full rebuild OS before shipping to enesure its Asbestos free. Fcukers have stuffed up imports.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2017, 12:23 PM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Several years ago they found asbestos parts in one of the NEW Chinese models being imported.

I recall they still let them in with a slap on the wrist. Go figure...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-10-2017, 10:57 PM   #6
mr_h._simpson

Anyone used an importer recently and got a car in from the US without asbestos issues? If so, can you please tell me who you used? There is a 63 Galaxie I'm keen on.

Thanks.
Andrew
mr_h._simpson is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2017, 12:08 AM   #7
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I sourced a concours Talladega earlier for a mate and he imported it via a Gold Coast importer who I used for all my six imports over the years. It arrived three weeks ago and no asbestos checks were made on the Talladega or any of the other cars in the shipment. As you are NSW South Coast I'd suggest checking out Sydney based importers.

If you want to PM me some info on your Galaxie I might be able to give you some clues on importing. And no - I'm not looking to pinch it from you. LOL
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2017, 08:39 AM   #8
mr_h._simpson

Thanks Pedro.

PM sent
mr_h._simpson is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2017, 11:52 AM   #9
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

.. I have heard that how anal they get also depends on the port it is shipped into ..
Old 10-10-2017, 09:41 PM   #10
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin View Post
.. I have heard that how anal they get also depends on the port it is shipped into ..
Whats the good oil on where to aim for?
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2018, 08:54 AM   #11
9triton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: A valued contributor to those hard to answer questions regarding classic falcons. A wealth of knowledge. 

seems if you bring your car in from overseas for a show -and are taking it back out again -

still not immune from border force:

Maserati global gathering

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...eratis-111746/

Quote:
Visiting Maserati owners caught up in asbestos crackdown

Australian Border Patrol officers have nabbed a number of visiting Maseratis.

Up to nine Maserati owners, who have travelled from around the world to attend this week’s Maserati Global Gathering 1400km club run, have been sidelined by Australian customs which has impounded the vehicles.
9triton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2018, 11:13 AM   #12
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9triton View Post
seems if you bring your car in from overseas for a show -and are taking it back out again -

still not immune from border force:

Maserati global gathering

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...eratis-111746/
Right ... so based on responses here of "no issues" and then this, it's pretty much a crapshoot if you get done for $30K fine/work or not. Not exactly inspiring ...
Old 23-03-2018, 11:41 AM   #13
9triton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: A valued contributor to those hard to answer questions regarding classic falcons. A wealth of knowledge. 

there s a recent mightycarmods episode on you tube- they bought in a Datsun 240z - less engine gearbox/exhaust and brakes to ensure no problems.

think they were doing an engine /box conversion anyways so maybe not a concern- but they did mention timescale and cost as being the factors
2 users like this post:
Old 23-03-2018, 03:12 PM   #14
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's not that hard to get a declaration done before it leaves the source country.

As I posted in an other thread, I have personal knowledge of this - in fact, it's 3 cars in the last 2 months, one a '54 Chev my bro-in-law brought in, another a late 90s Corvette, and the last one an export of a Commodore to the USA. None had issues at all with asbestos, because of the following:

1. Brakes in the '54 were fitted with non-asbestos shoes before shipping, and the mechanic signed a declaration for it. Same deal with the clutch. Engine had clearly been fitted with a modern metal manifold gasket. No problems with asbestos at all, but heaps with quarantine who weren't happy with a tiny spec of mud, bug guts on the screen, and the brake fluid. Funny how he had to pay a fortune for a "complete underbody steam clean" and there was a huge (dormant, luckily) wasps nest up beside the master cylinder...

2. The Corvette was new enough to have supporting documentation from service manuals to say none of its components contained asbestos. A simple declaration, and copies of those pages, was all they needed to clear it.

3. The Commodore was in the same boat as the corvette - supporting documentation from service manuals, along with a simple declaration, and the US had no problems.

I would suggest these guys with the Maseratis didn't think about any of this before planning this jaunt. Same deal applies if you want to send something to the US - we're not the only country doing it.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-03-2018, 08:54 PM   #15
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really, really hate what the world has become. I'm not saying I wanna bathe in it, but Jesus. You know one thing that doesn't give you cancer?
Me neither
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2018, 02:22 PM   #16
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Re Asbestos in brakes, gaskets etc

It can also be found in body panels, underbody sealant, lots and lots of places

Read a story of a bloke who had wire brushed all the underbody sealant off himself as part of a cars resto.
He was then informed by an expert in the field that there was a high % of asbestos in that sealant: he'd exposed himself to asbestos big time and was devastated at the thought of his health being compromised

Be extremely careful/vigilant prior to purchase and do your homework
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2018, 03:36 PM   #17
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has anyone every contracted asbestosis through contact with an asbestos based head gasket?? No didn,t think so
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2018, 06:31 PM   #18
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably yes, same as through exposure to brake material containing asbestos
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2018, 09:30 PM   #19
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Taken from the link posted by 9triton...
Quote:
Update, March 23, 2018: Australian Border Force has responded to this story, and the statement issued is reproduced below, in full:

The ABF did not conduct asbestos testing on any of the vehicles and there was no damage to any of the vehicles. Two of the vehicles did not have the required import approval from the Australian Government and were therefore held at the border. It is the responsibility of the importer to ensure that Vehicle Import Approval is in place prior to importing cars to Australia.

The other six vehicles were identified as potentially containing asbestos and the importer could not provide appropriate assurances that they did not. The importer declined to have the vehicles tested for asbestos. The importer was given permission to export the vehicles.

The ABF is not responsible for granting permission to import goods containing asbestos. This can only be done by applying to the Minister for Small and Family Business, the Workplace and Deregulation.

The ABF recommends all classic car importers ensure their vehicles don’t contain asbestos before they arrive in Australia. Any suspect parts should be removed before transport to Australia to minimise costs, delays and impacts on vehicles.

The removal and testing of any components is undertaken by qualified independent hygienists not ABF officers. Testing can be avoided if importers provide sufficient assurance to demonstrate that imported goods do not contain asbestos or that suspect parts have been removed before import.

Australia’s ban on asbestos is not new and the significant health risks of asbestos are well known. We don’t want to unduly penalise classic car importers, but asbestos can kill and we have an obligation to protect the community from any asbestos coming into the country.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2018, 12:40 AM   #20
9triton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the original article must of struck a raw nerve with border force for them to respond . read the commemts on that article - not one positive one
Old 25-03-2018, 01:35 AM   #21
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Modern brakes contain fine silica dust. Twice as many Australians die from Silicosis as they do from Asbestosis/Mesothelioma. Silica dust is in thousands of products, i.e. brake pads, concrete, gyprock, fibre cement, mortar, bricks, etc, etc. If they banned products that caused cancer when breathed in, then we would be living in mud and stick huts.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post