Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-10-2017, 11:39 PM   #1
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default VIC : Penalties for breach of tow capacity?

I know someone who has started towing massively overweight. Ute is rated at 2000kg braked and 500kg unbraked and he is hauling 2500kg unbraked. Any police or otherwise on here who can tell me how the penalties work in Vic? After a quick google the max penalty I could find on vicroads was between 15-20% with 10 demerit points and $1536 fine, not sure if that is correct. Considering he is towing waaaaaaaaay over that, do the fines aggregate? I.e. For ever 20% he is over he will cop another fine or is it off to court for such a big breach? Yeah alright, maybe a stupid question but I am curious how the penalties stack up for being that far over the limit.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2017, 12:39 AM   #2
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: VIC : Penalties for breach of tow capacity?

His biggest problem will come if he has an accident, and finds his insurance won't cover him.

Like many things, there are degrees of difficulty. Towing a well-balanced load, at moderate speeds, on good roads, in fine weather, over short distances, whilst super-attentive, is probably ok. Towing a massive van, on winding country rods, in a cross-wind, maybe not so much.
And it also depends on the quality of the setup.
The biggest problem towing with a Ute, is that if the tail starts to wag the dog, there's not enough weight over the rear-axle.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2017, 12:50 AM   #3
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
His biggest problem will come if he has an accident, and finds his insurance won't cover him.

Like many things, there are degrees of difficulty. Towing a well-balanced load, at moderate speeds, on good roads, in fine weather, over short distances, whilst super-attentive, is probably ok. Towing a massive van, on winding country rods, in a cross-wind, maybe not so much.
And it also depends on the quality of the setup.
The biggest problem towing with a Ute, is that if the tail starts to wag the dog, there's not enough weight over the rear-axle.
Increased braking distance is my main concern. Vehicle has no ABS. Someone drives out in front of him or a kid rides his bike out, even in the back streets doing 60kph and he'll go straight through them. He's an experienced driver but accidents happen. Logic doesn't work with this guy, he always knows best until **** hits the fan. The only thing I reckon that will make him think twice is the threat of a filthy big fine.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2017, 10:09 AM   #4
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

In Victoria, it is $800 and 4 demerit points currently but the chances of actually getting caught are stupidly low unless there is another joint VicRoads / VicPol blitz like they ran earlier this year which scarily found 58% overweight in one of the three measurements and 7% over by more than 20% as well as a large number of dual cab utes well over their GCM.

Most also didn't have a clue what their ATM / GTM or ball loading weight were.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-10-2017, 11:04 AM   #5
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Biggest problem is manufacturers fudge weights. Manufacturers must be held accountable for correct ATM. My van was overweight i had to remove a gas bottle and dump 75% of water. To get it under ATM.That was with minimal clothing, food etc. Queensland Caravan Association has free weigh days.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:43 AM   #6
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
In Victoria, it is $800 and 4 demerit points currently but the chances of actually getting caught are stupidly low unless there is another joint VicRoads / VicPol blitz like they ran earlier this year which scarily found 58% overweight in one of the three measurements and 7% over by more than 20% as well as a large number of dual cab utes well over their GCM.

Most also didn't have a clue what their ATM / GTM or ball loading weight were.

Cheers
Russ
When they run a blitz, they don't give warnings.
A few years back I was done for not displaying oversize signs on my Boat, but there was no checking on weights.
That Blitz was the following week.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post