Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-09-2017, 09:20 PM   #31
comfortablynumb

Default Re: Fuel bowsers tallying a few more litres more than usual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
Sorry, had a busy couple of days and sort of forgot about my thread!

Thanks, that's good to know. I've heard lots of people say lots of things like there is debris that collects at the bottom, and then also heard from others that there's foam in the tank so it doesn't matter, and then also heard that the pump needs fuel and letting it run low can affect it, and a few other things I've heard here and there.

I run it down to 10KM estimate here and there but I've been caught out 4 times in 10 years and run it all the way down to zero. So yeah, turns out that zero isn't actually zero. No idea how much leeway there is but I made it 4KM past the point of 0 before I made it to a garage so it's at least 4KM in a BA falcon!

Also good to know. I'm moving to a diesel soon and just when I think I'm comfortable-ish with understanding how a petrol engine works (or doesn't work), I have to start all over again with a diesel.

I'm told that I also can't ever get lazy with oil changes with a diesel and they absolutely must be done regularly, is that true?
My BA falcon burns through so much oil (long story) that I'm constantly filling it up and if I forget for a few months, it burns itself near dry. Hearing the tap tap is sometimes the only thing that reminds me but I do have to say that falcons are incredibly tolerant. It just keeps going, even when semi-crippled it still seems to want to keep going.

But I hear that diesels just aren't as forgiving? Granted, the diesel doesn't have damage that will result in burning a lot of oil either.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for next time. I did actually go and talk to the attendant as I thought I'd give him a heads up but the guy just exploded into a rage at the mere mention that I thought the tank registered more fuel than what my tank should have taken.

My biggest suspicion is what happens in the event of a flood? If those tanks are underground, are they water tight so that nothing can get in? Or does water/debris end up in there during a flood? If it's possible, are there any regulations that require underground tanks to be drained and cleaned after floods?

The one thing that I DO do (perhaps naively) is avoid petrol stations if there's currently a tanker there delivering fuel. My layman mind thinks that it makes sense that if there is debris in there, it's more likely to be stirred up when the tank is getting filled? Maybe in reality they are filling a separate tank and let it settle before allowing people to pump fuel out of it, who knows.

You have any idea how many stories those guys hear every day? How many cars come in with no nunber plate, or some mud convieniently smeared? Not to mention excuses about how they can't pay. Or shouldn't have to? "I forgot my wallet"....after you just watched them take it from their back pocket and toss it through the open window onto the passenger seat. It's endless.

Most modern servo's have monitoring equipment to keep an eye on water levels. They don't have to be that new either. And it's not that hard to do. Water is heavier than fuel and so sits on the bottom of the tank. Water can also get in from groundwater (if there is any). Especially so if the tank is older. Had that in a new servo locally. Thankfully at a servo that I personally don't use.

Entirely possible. Keep in mind larger servo's have multiple tanks keeping different grades (91,95,98, E10) and of course diesel. Often multiple tanks of the most popular grades. Who knows what is actually filling at any given time. Tankers have compartments, so one tanker can theoretically carry multiple grades too. Each compartment could also be going to different servo's. Or not.
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2017, 10:59 PM   #32
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post

You have any idea how many stories those guys hear every day? How many cars come in with no nunber plate, or some mud convieniently smeared? Not to mention excuses about how they can't pay. Or shouldn't have to? "I forgot my wallet"....after you just watched them take it from their back pocket and toss it through the open window onto the passenger seat. It's endless.
Oh my bad. I didn't realise that having a bad day due to x% of the population giving those guys a hard time was a justified reason to be a crunt to the remaining 100-x% of the population during general conversation.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2017, 11:09 PM   #33
comfortablynumb

Quote:
Oh my bad. I didn't realise that having a bad day due to x% of the population giving those guys a hard time was a justified reason to be a crunt to the remaining 100-x% of the population during general conversation.
Well it wasn't just general conversation was it?

Here you were, spinning the same yarn as a dozen others have done that day, trying to justify not paying.

Not that you know that, but what do you expect? Stand behind the counter (any counter, really) and find out what the general public actually think of you. Lower than a ****house rat. Walk a mile, huh?

Personally speaking, I would last about a week before I was sacked for throat punching one of the arrogant pricks.
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2017, 11:28 PM   #34
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Well it wasn't just general conversation was it?

Here you were, spinning the same yarn as a dozen others have done that day, trying to justify not paying.
Who says I was trying to justify not paying? I was just trying to give the guy a heads up that I think his bowser might need to be calibrated. It really was nothing more than a general conversation.

Quote:
Stand behind the counter (any counter, really) and find out what the general public actually think of you. Lower than a ****house rat. Walk a mile, huh?
Act like a ****, get treated like a ****. It works both ways, no? The message that I've taken away from the encounter is that service station attendants are equally as ****y as the general public and should now be treated like so. Bad behaviour perpetuates bad behaviour.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-09-2017, 07:26 AM   #35
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
My biggest suspicion is what happens in the event of a flood? If those tanks are underground, are they water tight so that nothing can get in? Or does water/debris end up in there during a flood? If it's possible, are there any regulations that require underground tanks to be drained and cleaned after floods?

The one thing that I DO do (perhaps naively) is avoid petrol stations if there's currently a tanker there delivering fuel. My layman mind thinks that it makes sense that if there is debris in there, it's more likely to be stirred up when the tank is getting filled? Maybe in reality they are filling a separate tank and let it settle before allowing people to pump fuel out of it, who knows.
The tanks are not water tight and do have water entering in one way or another. There are two common ways. One is as you suspected, following heavy rain or flood. Two (only for older tanks) through the pours of the concrete.

Every servo tank (except brand new ones) have water in them!

Exactly right, I have heard this rule also. There is no intermediary tank.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2017, 08:32 AM   #36
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO View Post
The tanks are not water tight and do have water entering in one way or another. There are two common ways. One is as you suspected, following heavy rain or flood. Two (only for older tanks) through the pours of the concrete.

Every servo tank (except brand new ones) have water in them!

Exactly right, I have heard this rule also. There is no intermediary tank.
Most reasonably modern tanks the fuel take off point is quite a way up from the bottom allowing room for sediment for example a 50,000l tank will stop pumping with 2-3000l left in it
water sits on the bottom , most tanks are regularly checked with water finding paste smeered on the dipstick it changes colour when waters present and being on the dipstick you can tell how much is present

pumps have to be regularly calibrated and certified , the most likely time you would get an erratic pump reading is when the tank starts running out and the pump starts sucking air and giving false readings on whats coming out....but i think this only happened on old pumps

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2017, 07:05 AM   #37
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzman View Post
Most reasonably modern tanks the fuel take off point is quite a way up from the bottom allowing room for sediment for example a 50,000l tank will stop pumping with 2-3000l left in it
water sits on the bottom , most tanks are regularly checked with water finding paste smeered on the dipstick it changes colour when waters present and being on the dipstick you can tell how much is present

pumps have to be regularly calibrated and certified , the most likely time you would get an erratic pump reading is when the tank starts running out and the pump starts sucking air and giving false readings on whats coming out....but i think this only happened on old pumps
Yeah I know..
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post