Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-09-2017, 11:51 PM   #31
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: Burnout incident at Alice Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8235 View Post
I'm with you Dr methanol very hard to see in the day and very blue with a tinge of orange at night.

Looks he has some sort of exhaust sprayer in that car. If it was like the summernats video the flames would have kept going but the fire went out.
Cheers
What it is is the car is on the limiter that cuts spark but not fuel. Being on methanol yeah that burns almost clear but the rest of the crap thrown up and about doesn't. So whilst the car is banging the limiter it's dumping fuel into the exhaust which ignites, the contaminants being thrown up are the cause of ignition which starts the tyre fire. It's sort of but not really like a silo explosion or somebody creating an explosion by using a regular vaccum without the particulate filter to clean out a photocopier and creating a fire ball. The reason alot of the top guys run straight pipes well past the back of the cars is to prevent it happening but it's not always the case. The reason they run methanol is that whilst you use more it burns colder so whilst power is to be made its harder to overheat the motor.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2017, 03:13 AM   #32
KBC

It wont be long before something major does happen, was not too long ago a competitor had a fire which almost caused an explosion. His fuel cell was blown up like a balloon.

I too am a qualified mechanic with not only old but new cars as well. I do compete in these events but I build and repair my own cars. Engines, diffs and gearboxes all rebuilt myself, I also do my own panel and paint. I am not a fan of some of these guys who go out on purpose to destroy their cars by fire let alone the speed of some of the tip ins, again not my cup of tea. I have seen too many cars written off hitting barriers/walls from high speed tip ins.

I wish I had the money some of these guys spend repairing their cars let alone build them.

Burnouts at this level are a little harder than just dropping your clutch and heel toeing it. Different pads have different amounts of traction, size, run up, obstacles ie walls/barriers etc. Throw in ambient temperatures, oil or water/coolant from previous cars, keeping constant car motion, constant wheel movement, constant smoke, engine revs, keeping an eye on gauges do call for a fair amount of concentration.

But some guys have no care or concerns for their cars or safety which will throw a dampener on the sport when something very bad goes wrong. This then has a potential to have a ripple effect on the rest of car scene, be it small or large depends on which way you look at it. Be it attendance numbers at events, price hikes for entrants, performance parts prices increasing etc etc.
XD Fairmont 5.8
XB GS Coupe, no engine, future project
VG Transit, AU 5.0
TC Cortina ute, finish 1 day

I need to find a hobby
KBC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-09-2017, 10:09 PM   #33
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV0002 View Post
I don't understand why people spend tens of thousands of dollars on a car to purposely push it to the point of destruction, damage the engine, ruin paint and panel and purposely catch it on fire just for a couple of minutes of entertainment for themselves and a few ****ed d1ckheads... totally lost me why???
Drug dealers have to spend their money on something.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2017, 10:33 PM   #34
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith View Post
Drug dealers have to spend their money on something.
You spelt conceil wrong. It doesn't start with an s.
This user likes this post:
Old 06-09-2017, 10:36 PM   #35
FPV0002
FPV0002

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV0002 View Post
I don't understand why people spend tens of thousands of dollars on a car to purposely push it to the point of destruction, damage the engine, ruin paint and panel and purposely catch it on fire just for a couple of minutes of entertainment for themselves and a few ****ed d1ckheads... totally lost me why???
I didn't say I'm a hater of burnouts, sure they aren't my thing and I'm not the type of bloke who could sit and watch for hours but I don't understand why people would spend so much $$ and build a beautiful car then basically destroy it within minutes. Surely it is possible to do a burnout without completely wrecking a car? I'm assuming as the level and showmanship increases so does the need for a more visually spectacular 'burnout'. Unfortunately with intense heat, flames and flying rubber and belts spectators are going to risk injury, there are risks at all Motorsport. I am amazed at events like Summernats you can have joe public enter his car and do a static burnout with huge crowds lining the streets either side and have nobody get hurt. IMO when you attend stuff like this you know the risk, weigh it up against the reward and occasionally stuff happens unfortunately.
FPV0002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2017, 11:53 PM   #36
DOOZIE DAISY

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
You spelt conceil wrong. It doesn't start with an s.
Conceal
DOOZIE DAISY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2017, 12:05 AM   #37
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOZIE DAISY View Post
Conceal
Yeah spelling is not my fortè