Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #61
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 
Default Re: Vf ss - xr6t - g6et

i was hunting for an FG G6ET in white for a while a couple of years back, hard to come by but look great - plans for a sunroof?
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-11-2013, 12:35 AM   #62
xr gr8
Winter White Weapon

White FG's are my weakness!
God damn beautiful ride for the bucks
Enjoy her!
xr gr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #63
Struggo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
i was hunting for an FG G6ET in white for a while a couple of years back, hard to come by but look great - plans for a sunroof?

You know what I had not considered one, but they do look good.

http://www.webasto.com.au/home/ena/html/8212.html

http://www.webasto.com.au/home/graph...esentation.pdf
Struggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #64
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Glad some of you have been getting great deals. Here in Newcastle the salespeople I have visited are simply not interested in selling me a Falcon. I have been to Klosters, Highway Ford, Lake Ford so far. Even one salesperson went on to say how ugly they are and cant wait to see the last N/A one leave the showroom!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #65
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I ended up buying a new SS Commodore Auto Sedan in Fantale for $42k driveaway with sports mats and tint. It will shortly be a sad day when I leave the Ford fraternity after owning them for so many years but the blame for this is the un-helpful and useless dealer network. At the VF is a great product (and I thought I would never say this!)
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #66
Rodge
Banned

Estern Automotive in Auckland here have two VF SS's for their directors, one a VF SS-V and the other a VF SS-V Redline.

They ran them up stock on their dyno, before starting their mods projects and they made 199 and 203 rwkw's respectivly. How does that compare to a G6ET ?
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #67
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most FG turbos (not F6) range btw 225 and 245rwkw standard I believe
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #68
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

yeah most FG turbos i've seen dyno'd hit about 225-230
Old 01-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #69
Rodge
Banned

Thanks, makes you wonder a bit doesn't it, although both those examples were auto's so officially rated at 260 Kw's with their cylinder de-activation technology, how come they're about 30 rwkw's south of a stock G6ET when in theory if both vehicles lose about 20% through the driveline the SS should come up only about 8 rwkw's south of a G6ET? (270-260) x 80%.

Ford understating their engines outputs as usual or Holden over-stating their's or Holden's drivelines are horribly inefficient, or most likely a combination of one opr two of those factors. Any way you slice and dice it, a G6ET isn't going to have any trouble dispensing with a VF SS in the performance stakes, not that it ever has with earlier models either
Old 01-12-2013, 06:56 PM   #70
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
a G6ET isn't going to have any trouble dispensing with a VF SS in the performance stakes, not that it ever has with earlier models either
it's all luck of the draw really, and depends on the test and the day, options on the car, how worn in it is blah blah. This test shows both the FG2 XRT and the VF (auto) SS pulling the same 13.1 1/4 time in ideal conditions. Seems a little slow for the turbo to me, but as i said it depends on many factors. The XRT did 4.9 to 100 and the SS did 5.0

who knows though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwye94Q7PtQ
2 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #71
stevz
Banned

Would it have anything to do with the fact that the V8's power output is linear, whereas the turbo produces power in a sudden burst which could result in a spike on the dyno?
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #72
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

on a stock setup yes it might
Old 01-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #73
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Having owned both I'll comment. With the small-turbo cars (XR6T/G6ET) the party is in the mid range and they start to run out of puff up top. The V8 loves revs. It will never compete with the torque that the I6T makes low down when the turbo is spooled, but it makes up for it by punching hard off the mark and getting stronger and stronger as it reaches the limiter. Above 4000, I can't tell them apart.

A quick note on the low down power of the I6T that many people seem to get slightly confused over- the monumental torque figures quoted from ~2000rpm onwards only mean something if the turbo is spooled. Off the mark, with next to no boost at extremely low revs, the I6T is like a low comp N/A I6 (well, without the turbo that's exactly what it is), it's not making all of that torque at 2 grand when you launch- so it does have some catching up to do (which it does when all the torque does hit). The small turbo does an excellent job when it comes to turbo lag, particularly on the roll the FG I6T almost feels like a naturally aspirated motor. Off the mark though, there is a slight hesitation before all hell breaks loose and that's where the SS can cheat a little.

Also, it's relevant to note that while they use the same drivetrain, the VF is a quicker car than the VE. Firstly it's a lighter car with better aero up front (the fender flares have been smoothed out significantly and it's less of a brick overall, although still not ideal compared to the sleeker Falcon). It's also no longer driving a hydraulic power steering pump. It all adds up to a slightly brisker car. From 0-120, it would be extremely close with an XR6T. Past that (3rd gear) the T has the advantage. It's right where it needs to be in the rev range at full boost and the SS's torque deficit at similar revs starts to hurt it. The SS's 13.1 in the Drive drag race at WSID is impressive- for an SS. In fact that's the best time recorded in history for a factory SS. 13.1 is an average time for an FG turbo and they've been dipping into the 12s since 2008.

Also, as far as dyno sheets go, I think it's a waste of time looking at them. Unless you run them on the same day, same conditions preferably with a hub dyno, there's no point. There's a video on youtube of a VF pulling 234rwkw on a mainline, who cares? At the end of the day, an XR6T is ultimately going to be quicker over 400m and the VF will be quicker with anything involving corners.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #74
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

yeah nice writeup there, while taking off slowly the XRT is a bit doughey and docile.. but i like that as you can drive it smooth as silk if you want to. It certainly highlights the effect of the lower compression setup. Which makes all-hell breaking out even more entertaining.

and then when you tune it.. all hell breaks out in a completely different way.

i am having a lot of trouble holding back from tuning.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #75
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Also, it's relevant to note that while they use the same drivetrain, the VF is a quicker car than the VE. Firstly it's a lighter car with better aero up front (the fender flares have been smoothed out significantly and it's less of a brick overall, although still not ideal compared to the sleeker Falcon). It's also no longer driving a hydraulic power steering pump. It all adds up to a slightly brisker car. From 0-120, it would be extremely close with an XR6T. Past that (3rd gear) the T has the advantage. It's right where it needs to be in the rev range at full boost and the SS's torque deficit at similar revs starts to hurt it. The SS's 13.1 in the Drive drag race at WSID is impressive- for an SS. In fact that's the best time recorded in history for a factory SS. 13.1 is an average time for an FG turbo and they've been dipping into the 12s since 2008.

Also, as far as dyno sheets go, I think it's a waste of time looking at them. Unless you run them on the same day, same conditions preferably with a hub dyno, there's no point. There's a video on youtube of a VF pulling 234rwkw on a mainline, who cares? At the end of the day, an XR6T is ultimately going to be quicker over 400m and the VF will be quicker with anything involving corners.
Great write-up. Just curious how the real world fuel economy compares between the 2. Does the SS need 95 Octane or 91 ? Also how do the brakes compare ? (I think the G6ET brakes are woefully inadequate but I don't want to put words in your mouth).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
it's all luck of the draw really, and depends on the test and the day, options on the car, how worn in it is blah blah. This test shows both the FG2 XRT and the VF (auto) SS pulling the same 13.1 1/4 time in ideal conditions. Seems a little slow for the turbo to me, but as i said it depends on many factors. The XRT did 4.9 to 100 and the SS did 5.0

who knows though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwye94Q7PtQ
Thanks, that's a bit of an eye-opener as I thought the turbo Falc would have comfortably had the SS's measure. I can see why the SS-V Redline with all its kit is so popular.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #76
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Funny how the Commondoor is always quicker than a Ford with Drivel reviews.....regardless of which is actually the quicker.
stevefreestyle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #77
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefreestyle View Post
Funny how the Commondoor is always quicker than a Ford with Drivel reviews.....regardless of which is actually the quicker.
I'd normally agree with you regarding Drivel with their well known bias towards anything Holden but seeing as it was a dead heat and isn't the SS wearing wider rubber ? maybe this time it was a fair fight ?
Old 02-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #78
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who buys a stock standard 4 door family sedan for it's 0-100? Throw a few dollars at either one and it's quite clear who the winner will be.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #79
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Having owned both I'll comment. With the small-turbo cars (XR6T/G6ET) the party is in the mid range and they start to run out of puff up top. The V8 loves revs. It will never compete with the torque that the I6T makes low down when the turbo is spooled, but it makes up for it by punching hard off the mark and getting stronger and stronger as it reaches the limiter. Above 4000, I can't tell them apart.

A quick note on the low down power of the I6T that many people seem to get slightly confused over- the monumental torque figures quoted from ~2000rpm onwards only mean something if the turbo is spooled. Off the mark, with next to no boost at extremely low revs, the I6T is like a low comp N/A I6 (well, without the turbo that's exactly what it is), it's not making all of that torque at 2 grand when you launch- so it does have some catching up to do (which it does when all the torque does hit). The small turbo does an excellent job when it comes to turbo lag, particularly on the roll the FG I6T almost feels like a naturally aspirated motor. Off the mark though, there is a slight hesitation before all hell breaks loose and that's where the SS can cheat a little.

First question, when did you buy an SS???? What happened to the XR6T?

You're right, the little turbo XR does run out of puff beyond 5000rpm (well sort of). But comparing it to the manual SS sitting in my driveway is easy: the XR is faster/quicker than the SS across the board (1900rpm and up). Yes the SS does have that linear power delivery which masks the amount of torque it does have but the fact that the XR pins one into the seat from 2000-5500rpm is something the SS can't match. My XR feels quicker again through the twisty stuff (that is due to the suspension, Bilstein and Daniels diff bushes), but as Adrenaline said, in OEM guise, the SS is better through the corners.

PS. My SS is a loaner
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #80
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Thanks, that's a bit of an eye-opener as I thought the turbo Falc would have comfortably had the SS's measure. I can see why the SS-V Redline with all its kit is so popular.
to be honest i've never had an SS stay with me but those conditions were ideal and who knows how accurate the test was. They never showed a long shot of the whole race, just the closeups then a wide angle shot. I don't see why they'd bother editing it to make them the same but there ya go. Either way the XRT was the faster one to 100, and the XR had 19's which are a tad heavier.

as far as fuel, not sure about the SS but the turbo runs on 91 according to the manual. I have run mine strictly on V-Power since day 1 and will continue to and while it's more expensive at least i feel better about it lol.

all things considered i reckon my AU would have the XR off the line for about 1 metre then it'd be all over. V8's are always going to punch hard from the start (unless it's a 4A BA XR8, shocking off the line) but the 6T grabs you and throws you around like a rag doll and it's so addictive that i wouldn't care if it was slower than the SS. This is coming from a very v8ish person. It's also beautifully balanced through the hills in comparison with any other Falcmont i've ever owned, turns in very well compared with the BF XR i owned and anything before it.

In regards to the brakes, the bigger fronts on the XRT are not immediately obvious until you get into them. They're brakes that have a lot of feel and need a bit of force to make them work, and i like that. I'm sick of modern "binary brakes" i call them, it's either on or off.. can't stand them. That's why i like this setup. And trust me, when you need to stop, they'll stop.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #81
Rodge
Banned

^^ No question mate the inline six Ford engine is a legend in its own right and when forced the mid range torque is very addictive.

It'll be interesting to see if Ford can tweak the old Grandpa's axe, (and I mean that in an affectionate way), one more time for the FH, maybe squeeze a little bit more power / torque and efficiency out of her. That said Holden are due credit for the very comprehensive kit they've fitted to the VF Holden especially in SSV- Redline configuration.

We're spoiled for choice...for a little while longer.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #82
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

congrats on the new g6et
ive seen bugger all in white

looks alright i reckon
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #83
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
We're spoiled for choice...for a little while longer.
True that. I love the driveline up to just before the tailshaft lol - the rest of it and the build quality is a let down but i love the car as will the OP here love their new G6ET.

as far as getting a bit more out of the 6 for the FH, there's a good logical chance the XR6T will get the F6 motor or similar and the XR8 will get the blown 5L like you have or maybe in GS tune.

then maybe they'll release an XR8 HO lol!
Old 02-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #84
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
True that. I love the driveline up to just before the tailshaft lol - the rest of it and the build quality is a let down but i love the car as will the OP here love their new G6ET.

as far as getting a bit more out of the 6 for the FH, there's a good logical chance the XR6T will get the F6 motor or similar and the XR8 will get the blown 5L like you have or maybe in GS tune.

then maybe they'll release an XR8 HO lol!
Yeah that diff...lets just say one needs to drive with a fair amount of mechanical sympathy if you want it to go the distance

Wouldn't surprise me at all mate. Ford are lining up loyal FPV enthusiasts like me for a "milking" with the last FPV, trouble is many of us have refined our BS metres to the point where we can smell it coming from a mile off and are wary of an XR8 with much the same kit for far less money and of course there's always the chance you've suggested of a final milking with a HO SC 5.0. XR8.

I'm getting to the point in my 50's where I just don't know anymore whether I can be bothered getting whacked for one king hit after another in terms of depreciation every time I change. What's the point, impress the Jones's, who gives a **** what the neighbour's think.

I'll probably just settle back with some new B6 Bilsteins, (if I can get clearance from the dragon...maybe I should just tell her my shocks are stuffed, bloody Ford's ...necessary repairs Love), and watch the final show unfold from the sidelines, with plenty of popcorn on hand, of course

Last edited by Rodge; 02-12-2013 at 02:50 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #85
Struggo

Quick snap with the iPhone,

5 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #86
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Nice !! Car almost looks silver in that pic.

Are the wheels the 19's?
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #87
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

yes they are the 19's
Old 04-12-2013, 01:28 AM   #88
Struggo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260 View Post
Nice !! Car almost looks silver in that pic.

Are the wheels the 19's?
Yeah it does look a little silver, its because I used an app called camera + to increase clarity, nice effect me thinks

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/camera-plus/id330803072
Old 18-05-2018, 11:52 PM   #89
Struggo

4.5 years later and I still love this car.

I small bingle before Xmas saw an opportunity to paint the rear diffuser gloss black and repaint the front bonnet. Accidental damage to the bonnet whilst car was being serviced a few months later saw another respray, this time the inclusion of an XR8 bonnet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G6ET XR8 Bonnet (1).jpg (53.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg G6ET XR8 Bonnet Black Rear Diffuser.jpg (47.0 KB, 44 views)
Old 19-05-2018, 01:57 AM   #90
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struggo View Post
4.5 years later and I still love this car.

I small bingle before Xmas saw an opportunity to paint the rear diffuser gloss black and repaint the front bonnet. Accidental damage to the bonnet whilst car was being serviced a few months later saw another respray, this time the inclusion of an XR8 bonnet.
Looks fantastic with the bonnet
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post