Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-01-2019, 12:27 AM   #1
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Exclamation Ford To Cut Thousands Of European Jobs, Close Factories In "Major Restructuring"

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...-restructuring

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2019, 10:03 AM   #2
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford To Cut Thousands Of European Jobs, Close Factories In "Major Restructuring"

Wonder if Mondeo will survive. They will be fine though, there commercial vehicles make a money hand over fist

Last edited by Brazen; 11-01-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2019, 10:40 AM   #3
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: Ford To Cut Thousands Of European Jobs, Close Factories In "Major Restructuring"

Motor vehicle manufacture is changing in front of us ..

Things will never quite be the same ..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2019, 12:25 PM   #4
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Motor vehicle manufacture is changing in front of us ..

Things will never quite be the same ..
Yep. Every car made by someone in Asia working for a bowl of rice a day.

Fast forward 150 years and it’ll be us working for that bowl of rice per day.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2019, 12:32 PM   #5
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post

Compared to Australian wages and cost of living it is but in each country some are considered on above average wages, so not really that bad for them.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:41 PM   #6
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm getting the feeling that the autonomous/electric future and 70% reduction in the size of the total car industry predicted by futurists is beginning.

If any of you like a particular type of car, grab it now and cherish it. Going to be very different in the future. My biggest curiosity is what happens if someone vomits in one of the ride sharing autonomous electric cars, how is that dealt with? Vomit sensors?
Old 11-01-2019, 04:33 PM   #7
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2019, 11:26 PM   #8
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Welcome to the new world of Globalization.
Blue Roo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-01-2019, 08:36 AM   #9
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Roo View Post
Welcome to the new world of Globalization.
Yes and the worry is, what will Australia’s contribution to globalisation be?

We pretty much don’t manufacture anything to export. We survive off coal and livestock. Yet are a country so concerned with pollution that I don’t know how long our coal industry even has.

As for the farming industry? China is busy buying up our farms, and greenies are busy banning live exports (not a bad thing, but certainly not good for the economy)
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2019, 08:43 AM   #10
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Every Ford employee is a negative cost to Profit. Therefore with the elimination of Ford’s entire workforce all that will remain is 100% profit. Simple plan, what could go wrong...
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2019, 10:59 AM   #11
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

My take is this,
outside of Ranger, Transit, Transit Connect, almost all of Ford Europe's products could be outsourced
to VW in LHD and RHD. Ford Asia pacific could seek a RHD alliance with Mazda and source it's own
versions of Mazda 3, CX-3 and CX-5 from the alliance plant in Thailand Even though Ford and Mazda's
partnering is ending, it may make economic sense to both continue in our region..

All of that thinking could be BS but in any regard, we're about to see a massive shake up as Ford.
We either get vehicles that better suit Ford's Aussie customers or just walk away from more sales.

Last edited by jpd80; 12-01-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:00 PM   #12
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So you don't think Ford Australia vehicles suit their customers...

Ecosport agree CX3 is better
Focus currently courtesy new model is better than Mazda 3.
Escape versus CX5 even and not even.

CX8 better than Endura probably.

Mondeo better than Maz 6 maybe.

Maybe Ford,s marketing is just utter crap!

Apart from people logging onto this and whirlpool forums and car advice /motoring.com etc for instance who would even know there is a new model Focus out and it even has new variants!
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2019, 01:20 PM   #13
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

You mean a bowl of Soylent green.

roKWiz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2019, 01:44 PM   #14
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Maybe Ford,s marketing is just utter crap!

The Ford brand is toxic.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2019, 02:10 PM   #15
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
So you don't think Ford Australia vehicles suit their customers...
Yes.
Ford knows that advertising them is futile, that's why you don't see commercials for new Focus or New Endura

Marketing is different to advertising, marketing asks who buys our product and why.
Advertising is based on optimism that someone will buy your products if told about them..
Old 12-01-2019, 05:15 PM   #16
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Yes.
Ford knows that advertising them is futile, that's why you don't see commercials for new Focus or New Endura

Marketing is different to advertising, marketing asks who buys our product and why.
Advertising is based on optimism that someone will buy your products if told about them..
Yes that's why the only advertising campaign I ever ran failed dismally.

So if Endura is a secret how will anyone know about it unless it is advertised?
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2019, 06:24 PM   #17
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cos people love to find out secrets
Old 12-01-2019, 08:05 PM   #18
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe they will do a three-way SUV ad with Escape, Endura and Everest
Old 13-01-2019, 01:24 AM   #19
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think we will see drastic consolidation across the car industry, there are too many models being made. Does Ford need cars like a Fiesta or Focus or Mondeo? Or would they be better off focusing on performance, trucks and SUVs. These massive lineups of cars with billions in development and multiple factories are not sustainable. Lots of volume capacity will probably need to be cut across the entire industry.

Cars will also become more expensive in the process, but will be offset by lower whole of life costs as brands transition to EVs

I think the days of car makers filling every single segment will stop. Brands will pull out of segments they are not strong in and focus on core models. So we will see the end of a dozen competitors in a single segment (such as small hatches) but instead will have three or four big players.

Last edited by Brazen; 13-01-2019 at 01:35 AM.
Old 13-01-2019, 02:17 PM   #20
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
The Ford brand is toxic.
This.

To anyone other than those who want a tough looking ute or the only iconic sportscar on offer.

Actually, to suggest Ford is toxic on a forum dedicated to the brand is not going to be received well so the best thing to do is ask the question....

Why i'snt the Ford brand toxic..?
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2019, 03:49 PM   #21
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I'm looking over stateside and the Ford brand certainly does not look toxic at all. There's new platforms, aluminium (al-oo-min-um) saving large amounts of weight; there's new economical petrol turbo motors; Lincoln is firing with great interiors; there's consistent SUV and truck design language that looks modern and appealing, while the chrome and straight lines suggest the bling and beauty of the 1960s. Same inside, perhaps better than the 1960s.

Please for the love of Henry bring all that here. I'd go Lincoln over Range Rover in a heartbeat.

We do have Mustang which has been a runaway success. Build on it. The only thing that could knock Landcruiser off it's perch as king of the bush would be an onslaught of massive, blinged Ford AWD SUVs and mighty big F Series utes, which they incidentally have in production and looking quite fine indeed. I mean, we've just swapped the Leopards for Abrams tanks so Uncle Sam does have some precedent in the bush...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLizogKBO0Q

Last edited by Sprintey; 13-01-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2019, 04:38 PM   #22
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
This.

To anyone other than those who want a tough looking ute or the only iconic sportscar on offer.

Actually, to suggest Ford is toxic on a forum dedicated to the brand is not going to be received well so the best thing to do is ask the question....

Why i'snt the Ford brand toxic..?
Counterpoint,
It's doesn't even get to toxic, it's more like completely off the radar.

...as most non-Ford buyers are happy with the vehicles they have now
and therefore, zero reason to even consider a Ford car or SUV.

I believe that the market is very forgiving and if Ford begins to offer something,
anything that buyers are interested in then maybe sales will start to increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Well I'm looking over stateside and the Ford brand certainly does not look toxic at all. There's new platforms, aluminium (al-oo-min-um) saving large amounts of weight; there's new economical petrol turbo motors; Lincoln is firing with great interiors; there's consistent SUV and truck design language that looks modern and appealing, while the chrome and straight lines suggest the bling and beauty of the 1960s. Same inside, perhaps better than the 1960s.

Please for the love of Henry bring all that here. I'd go Lincoln over Range Rover in a heartbeat.
The only thing we get out of North America is Endura and even then it's a modified UK version.
No, everything planned for us is somebody else's RHD vehicles that may or may not work here.

Last edited by jpd80; 13-01-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Old 13-01-2019, 04:48 PM   #23
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post

We do have Mustang which has been a runaway success. Build on it. The only thing that could knock Landcruiser off it's perch as king of the bush would be an onslaught of massive, blinged Ford AWD SUVs and mighty big F Series utes, which they incidentally have in production and looking quite fine indeed. I mean, we've just swapped the Leopards for Abrams tanks so Uncle Sam does have some precedent in the bush...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLizogKBO0Q
An American company in a patriotic land, who'd have thought.

That doesnt cut it around the rest of the world.

I'll give them credit their offerings are quite often better than the competitors, what does that suggest..

From my perspective, Ford, in Australia atleast, have an identity problem in that they want to be seen as an upmarket company focussing on high end product but the people they entrust to provide customer service dont reflect these values.
People with warranty concerns shouldnt have to jump through hoops to get satisfaction, especially when many people are just looking for a reason to be offended and have every opportunity to let the world know about it.
Old 13-01-2019, 04:58 PM   #24
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford Aus is chained to terrible global products, until that changes, nothing else will.
The pace of change on that front is glacial due to big problems with Ford Europe.

New Focus is here finally but will it change the way buyers feel about it...
New Edge is here but at $49K will it sell at anything more than a few hundred a month

New Focus is still too far off, Ecosport/ Fiesta/Mondeo? who knows or even cares now..

I guess we should all roll over and put Toyota shirts on or maybe go buy discounted Holdens...

Last edited by jpd80; 13-01-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Old 13-01-2019, 05:03 PM   #25
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Counterpoint,
It's doesn't even get to toxic, it's more like completely off the radar.

...as most non-Ford buyers are happy with the vehicles they have now
and therefore, zero reason to even consider a Ford car or SUV.

I believe that the market is very forgiving and if Ford begins to offer something,
anything that buyers are interested in then maybe sales will start to increase.
Fair call but personally i believe Ford have an excellent range of products right now, they look cutting edge, the problem is people dont look twice regardless, the question is, why?
Theres two ways to increase market share in any sector, you either offer something the people would want and increase your numbers or your competitors leave the segment.
You cant rely on the latter and the former is in showrooms right now, so whats keeping the punters away.

I'll give you a clue, it starts with R and ends with eputation.
Old 13-01-2019, 05:07 PM   #26
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There really isn’t a dud in the Ford Range, they are all great cars. The biggest issue with the passenger cars in Australia is the styling, the blobby body with catfish front design language should of died 5 years ago, but they keep peddling it out. Lucky Mustang and Ranger have their unique looks in the Ford lineup

It would of been great to see the Australian or American design studios design the latest generation of Fiesta and Focus, rather than the yawn-o-ramas that Ford of Europe are good at putting out.

Last edited by Brazen; 13-01-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 13-01-2019, 05:23 PM   #27
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
I guess we should all roll over and put Toyota shirts on or maybe go buy discounted Holdens...
Now you're just being silly, why wouldnt you just buy a Kia and have 7 years of trouble free motoring..

You could buy a Picanto or Rio for your Daughter at sub $20k, a Cerato or Sportage for the little lady for sub $30k and a Stinger for your weekender.
You wouldn't even need to throw out your old blue oval shirts, just paint the emblem black

Makes perfect sense.

Last edited by BENT_8; 13-01-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Old 13-01-2019, 05:34 PM   #28
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Supplies of Focus and Endura are just beginning, so probably a bit early to judge how this will plays out.
It may be just a case of Ford putting their heads down and start "selling" what they have.
Old 13-01-2019, 05:38 PM   #29
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Supplies of Focus and Endura are just beginning, so probably a bit early to judge how this will plays out.
It may be just a case of Ford putting their heads down and start "selling" what they have
My local Dealer has the new Focus ST Line on the lot, looks awesome.

Obviously the initial wave will include Dealer registered demo's so we'll have to wait a good 6 months to see what the punters think.
Old 13-01-2019, 05:40 PM   #30
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's no plants hanging by a thread on what Ford does or doesn't sell so it's easy to tailor supplies to demand.
I'm curious about Focus and the Active variant may give them a quasi player in the compact crossovers for now,
station wagon is interesting, i wonder who signed off on that one....

ALL-NEW FORD FOCUS MLP
All-new Ford Focus Trend Hatch 8-speed AT $25,990
All-new Ford Focus ST-Line Hatch 8-speed AT $28,990
All-new Ford Focus ST-Line Wagon 8-speed AT $30,990
All-new Ford Focus Titanium Hatch 8-speed AT $34,490

They will need some decent numbers of Demos to build interest, not too many but enough to catch walk ins..

They do look nice...

Reputation begins with selling good products and standing by them....

Last edited by jpd80; 13-01-2019 at 05:47 PM.