Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-11-2018, 09:23 AM   #1
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default 2020 Ford Explorer shows its face

Quote:
2020 Ford Explorer Shows Its Face – And We’re Getting A Highlander Vibe
BY JOHN HALAS
NOVEMBER 20, 2018

carscoops.com

With the countdown already on for the reveal of the 2020 Explorer, we get our best look yet at the Blue Oval’s popular large SUV.

Looks Familiar, Doesn’t It?

We wouldn’t blame you if the overall silhouette fooled you into thinking that it’s only facelift, but it’s a truly new model. That’s mostly evident from the re-imagined front end, which bears a passing resemblance to an older version of one of its most prominent competitors, the (facelifted) 2011 Toyota Highlander.

Beyond the face and the different proportions, which we’ll explain below, the next generation Explorer also gets a tighter greenhouse with a more aggressively sloped D-pillar, and more angular design elements for the rear, including the more compact three-dimensional taillights.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

Americans recon it has a Highlander (Kluger) vibe but to me very reminiscent of our dear departed Territory..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2018, 09:31 AM   #2
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2020 Ford Explorer shows its face

I wish it could come here. We just lost our Terri, written off when we got t-boned recently.
Old 25-11-2018, 09:41 AM   #3
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Old 25-11-2018, 12:19 PM   #4
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm guessing this is a low spec variant. Obviously hard to judge but it seems to have lost the low wide front look of the current model with more it's vertical/ features, slimmer grill etc.. Maybe it's also the lower driving lights as the seem more inboard then the current model. When I was in NYC in Jan whenever I spotted an Explorer, especially in the darker colours it was very Range Rover-esque and good looking. The Lincoln Aviator definitely got the "better looking" genes as expected. At least the rear says Ecoboost AWD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Americans recon it has a Highlander (Kluger) vibe but to me very reminiscent of our dear departed Territory..
If the Americans actually saw it next to an SZ they would probably agree with you.

Hey jpd80, I heard someone (non-Ford employee) mention recently the 3.0L V6 tdi Lion cannot fit in an SZ engine bay, do you now if this is true?

Last edited by Dr Smith; 25-11-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2018, 01:37 PM   #5
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Hey jpd80, I heard someone (non-Ford employee) mention recently the 3.0L V6 tdi Lion cannot fit in an SZ engine bay, do you now if this is true?
First I've heard of it, unless accessories hanging off the engine foul something.
The later series has two turbos so maybe that has something to do with it.
Old 25-11-2018, 03:18 PM   #6
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
First I've heard of it, unless accessories hanging off the engine foul something.
The later series has two turbos so maybe that has something to do with it.
It came in single and twin turbo.

Apparently the ST version of this Explorer will have the 300 kw / 540 Nm 3.0L EcoBoost V6. 10 speed auto, RWD bias... should be kinda fun.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2018, 04:44 PM   #7
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
It came in single and twin turbo.

Apparently the ST version of this Explorer will have the 300 kw / 540 Nm 3.0L EcoBoost V6. 10 speed auto, RWD bias... should be kinda fun.
It's also likely that the latest 2.7 EB's PFDI will be added to the 3.0 EB and Lincoln 3.0TT for even more torque,
Probably around the 380HP/440 lb ft of the previous gen 3.5 Ecoboost in Navigator.

There's also a 3.0 EB PHEV version floating around...probably Aviator exclusive for now but not always.
Also a 3.3 V6 Hybrid, maybe an alternative to diesel...
Old 25-11-2018, 07:04 PM   #8
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Are they doing these in RHD? Exactly what ford needs for Australia, whack on trrritory badges and call it a day, and retire the junk Everest and too-small Endura
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2018, 09:36 PM   #9
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Are they doing these in RHD? Exactly what ford needs for Australia, whack on trrritory badges and call it a day, and retire the junk Everest and too-small Endura
What do those two models have to do with Explorer...? Two different cars...
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2018, 11:06 AM   #10
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The new 6th gen explorer is apparently going to be a bit bigger than previous about 10 inches (254mm) longer

http://fordauthority.com/fmc/ford/fo...ford-explorer/

I'm not surprised by this as it moves back to an inline mount engine from transverse in the 5th Gen.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2018, 03:10 PM   #11
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
The Everest is Ford's 3rd best seller, and has grown year over year since launch. And is very profitable. Why would they ditch it?

Especially considering it is a proper ladder frame off roader, not a soft roader monocoque like the Explorer. 2 different vehicles.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 27-11-2018, 10:17 PM   #12
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Doesn't look much different, but I like it. I don't think it's an Everest competitor it's completely different.
I'm pretty certain we will never, ever see it here.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2018, 11:05 PM   #13
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that rear 3/4 C pillar looks like the Territory

So, north-south motor, RWD bias, has ecoboost (petrol, that is) AWD

where do I sign - this is a Territory replacement

hopefully it handles
Old 28-11-2018, 01:07 AM   #14
superfly
Go the Hogster!

We had one of these in September as a rent-a-car. It was a big car. We had waaaay too much stuff and is swallowed the whole lot in the boot! And the boot even housed 2 more seats (these fold automatically under the floor). Not sure what sort of engine it had but it went pretty well. We drove it around LA, Hollywood and Las Vegas.

It wasn't until we got back to Oz that I realised that the Explorer is not the same as the Everest we have here. Personally I think the Explorer looks heaps better. Ours even had 20" wheels

Last edited by superfly; 28-11-2018 at 01:17 AM.
superfly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2018, 08:16 AM   #15
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
The Everest is Ford's 3rd best seller, and has grown year over year since launch. And is very profitable. Why would they ditch it?

Especially considering it is a proper ladder frame off roader, not a soft roader monocoque like the Explorer. 2 different vehicles.
Third best seller just in Australia? No huge achievement, it’s only because Ford doesn’t have too many models other than Ranger and Mustang worth buying.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2018, 12:27 PM   #16
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post

hopefully it handles
It will look feel and almost certainly handle like the much bigger car its is than the Territory.
Old 28-11-2018, 02:07 PM   #17
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Third best seller just in Australia? No huge achievement, it’s only because Ford doesn’t have too many models other than Ranger and Mustang worth buying.
So you hate Everest and Ranger Raptor. Is there anything else that you hate from Ford to add to your list ?

Endura ?

Escape ?

Focus ?
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2018, 03:09 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey

hopefully it handles
In terms of layout yes, in terms of size no. Much bigger vehicle than Territory.

Have seen the current Explorer next to a Territory and it dwarf's it easily. New one will be much the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx
So you're just going to gloss over the part about it being highly profitable? Might only sell 500 a month but it's 3rd in class in sales. And it sells for a significantly higher price than the 2 above it, the MUX and Pajero Sport.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-11-2018, 10:48 PM   #19
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. If anything, I'd upgrade the Terry smaller as our kids have grown up.

Which leaves me in the 'medium SUV' market - looking at reviews now and there isn't a great deal to get excited about... Only one proper AWD version (Suby, and it's 60/40 rather than the 50/50AWD you might imagine) too... Wonder if the new hybrid RAV4 will be using all wheels all the time?
Old 29-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #20
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Ah, thanks for pointing that out. If anything, I'd upgrade the Terry smaller as our kids have grown up.

Which leaves me in the 'medium SUV' market - looking at reviews now and there isn't a great deal to get excited about... Only one proper AWD version (Suby, and it's 60/40 rather than the 50/50AWD you might imagine) too... Wonder if the new hybrid RAV4 will be using all wheels all the time?
Whats the importance of how the AWD works? most don't even need AWD..
Besides having a split that favours the rear normally results in better driving characteristics
for instance RWD Territorys are reported to be a better drive.
Old 29-11-2018, 11:13 AM   #21
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Whats the importance of how the AWD works? most don't even need AWD..
Besides having a split that favours the rear normally results in better driving characteristics
for instance RWD Territorys are reported to be a better drive.
It will have a front axle disconnect also, to mitigate parasitic loss
Old 29-11-2018, 11:22 AM   #22
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The importance is having all four wheels with motive power at the moment of the car experiencing slip on one or more wheels.

If you watch an early gen CRV encounter sand and wheelspin begin to occur, it takes some time before it decides to send any torque to the back wheels, in this time the front has dug itself into the sand. So you are basically going in with 2wd.

Or similarly, in snow and ice, the non driven wheels only get their motive power once the driven wheels lose traction and begin to slip, by this time trouble could well be on the way. In a sliding-into-an-ice-wall kind of way. A car with motive power to all four wheels already has 3 others with drive and traction when this occurs. A haldex system will wait for slip to occur before it apportions any drive backward, as it brakes the slipping (often front) wheel, it sends torque back. So before this braking, and sending of torque, it appears the car has one wheel with motive power, not ideal! That there is no manual ability for the driver to over-ride the Haldex and engage all 4 wheels at the moment they anticipate conditions will get slippery is a pity, for this would be most useful on Alpine road conditions. This is probably why Subaru are so popular in Tasmania: there's 4 wheels driving before the black ice appears. There are some really good US based SUV tests on youtube, where they take all of them through snow and slip, and they all have a delay before they send torque back.

On gravel, the grip of full time AWD gives a much greater feeling of stability, was driving on this coming home last night. Ruts can grab our manual RWD and oscillate it sideways while the AWD sails through them. A reason the full time AWD Prado and Landcruiser are so popular in the bush.

One of the joys of the petrol AWD Territory was this constant split of torque front and rear. The RWD certainly did handle better. But the AWD still outhandled the Subys around the corners, and had this constant traction that made it a very stable, safe platform. My 2c anyway.
Old 29-11-2018, 01:30 PM   #23
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I think for those purposes you might be better looking at an Everest.
Explorer uses intelligent four-wheel drive with Terrain Management System as Chevy says it will disconnect the front and drive as a RWD most of the time.

Dont rule out the Endura before it get here though as its smart system will operate as a FWD but for claims it can react to an ice surface in 10 milliseconds and change to AWD
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/09/12/...-drive-665932/
Old 29-11-2018, 02:57 PM   #24
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No worries, thanks for the recommendation. The Everest/Fortuner/Prado ladder frame chassis type might not be the handler on those alpine or Gt Ocean Rd twisties that a Terry or a BMW X5 might be (have owned some of these in the past and very 'boat like') They will be more capable in the truly 4wd environment however so that's a plus, but I don't do to much of that anymore. The Terry is hard to replace, at the price!
Jag F-Pace is 10/90 front to rear split AWD, X5 again, um, the Rangies are full time AWD except for Evoke iirc. Maybe the Porsche SUVs fit this brief too. Not too many of them in the 40K-50K price bracket...
Old 30-11-2018, 10:31 AM   #25
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nope you wont see another Territory like car for the price.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2019, 08:39 PM   #26
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

https://www.caradvice.com.au/715963/...orer-revealed/

"There’s no plan for a RHD Explorer to join the new Endura, Everest, Escape and EcoSport in Australian showrooms".

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2019, 11:09 PM   #27
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

6 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2019, 11:10 PM   #28
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2020 Explorer Tech Specs - PDF

DIMENSIONS (INCHES UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED)

Exterior
Wheelbase 119.1
Length 198.8
Width, excluding mirrors 78.9
Width, including mirrors 89.3
Width, mirrors folded 82.7
Height 69.9 AWD 70.2
Track, front curb 66.9
Track, rear curb 66.9
Front overhang 33.7
Rear overhang 46.0
Approach angle 20.1 degrees AWD 21.0 degrees
Departure angle 22.0 degrees AWD 22.3 degrees
Ramp breakover angle, curb 17.1 degrees AWD 17.7 degrees
Minimum running ground clearance 7.9 AWD 8.2

Interior
Seating capacity Seven

First-row headroom 40.7
First-row legroom 43.0
First-row shoulder room 61.8
First-row hip room 59.2
Second-row headroom 40.5
Second-row legroom 39.0
Second-row shoulder room 61.9
Second-row hip room 59.1
Third-row headroom 38.9
Third-row legroom 32.2

For editorial use only. Information correct at time of publication. Check media.ford.com for updates.
Third-row shoulder room 54.6
Third-row hip room 40.9

Weights and Capacities
Total passenger volume 152.7 cu. ft. AWD 146.8 cu. ft.
Cargo volume behind first row 87.8 cu. ft.
Cargo volume behind second row 47.9 cu. ft.
Cargo volume behind third row 18.2 cu. ft.
Base curb weight 4,345 lbs. AWD 4,727 lb
Old 11-01-2019, 07:58 AM   #29
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post

"There’s no plan for a RHD Explorer to join the new Endura, Everest, Escape and EcoSport in Australian showrooms".

“One Ford” is working just great, isn’t it?
3 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2019, 08:18 AM   #30
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post

Well, that is disappointing news.