Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-03-2022, 10:20 AM   #61
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default Re: Announcement 6pm 29th March - F100 Is Coming to Australia

I'd love to see them bring the Lightning here. Really has the potential to get some big sales. Although government policy is a set back.
Old 30-03-2022, 10:23 AM   #62
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Lightning is outselling all expectations in the US so that will still be the first market to benefit if they increase production, but hopefully it will come here eventually
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2022, 10:28 AM   #63
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz
Yeah, throw that in the who gives a rats bucket.

The whole basis for the F-Series popularity in the USA (Historically) is that they have offered an inexpensive, powerful, practical vehicle, to millions of hard-working folk in "Middle America."
Selling a couple of thousand of ridiculously overpriced conversions here, to a bunch of CUBs with TPS (Tiny-***** Syndrome), is pretty irrelevant.

Rather than a step forward, I see this as yet another sign of Ford retreating from the market, content to market a few niche vehicles.

I wonder what plans they have to Screw up the Ranger? They must surely be working on something, as it has been too successful for too long already.

Sad to think that within my Lifetime, Ford was at one point the number one selling brand in Australia, and built the number one selling car of all time.
And now they have the no2 selling vehicle. Such a massive fall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Its going to be interesting to see, as its main competitors all have V8's as noted previously....how many RAM/Silverado sales were people who used to buy XR8/SS?

With 3.5 only it smells a bit of the Raptor with a 4 pot but I guess we will see.

Lots of questions but glad they are giving it a crack, I too could see a Lightning in the stable.
The 3.5 EB is a cracker. It kills the V8 in every area bar the exhaust note. There's a reason it's the most popular engine choice in F-series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
I'd love to see them bring the Lightning here. Really has the potential to get some big sales. Although government policy is a set back.
It's simply not going to happen until Ford's new Kentucky Battery Plant comes on line within the next 2 or so years. The demand in the US for Lightning is just too great to be able to get any excess supply. It will probably come at some point down the track, but only when they can build enough of them.

The good thing is they haven't ruled anything out, and they want to get it all up and running with the 2 variants, and then go from there. Eventually the range will fill out with other models once it's all been worked out.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2022, 10:29 AM   #64
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Yeah sure why not, if you want to prove a product and give it its best chance why not offer what the market seems to be asking for, not the half/half option?

The EB isnt a bad engine, but at this price point people want clout and all the NM's in the world wont sound like an 8.

Im sure they have done their research and I do hope it works out.
The EB is a great engine, and if it powers along at only 12L/100 all the better!

but your are correct - the sound means a lot to some.

Though personally despite my love of a V8 sound I've never owned one - practicality always gets in the way.

and as such I think Ranger will still sell a lot better than these F150s, especially if the price tag is what im Guessing it will be.

but there will be enough on our Roads to notice them, well they will be hard to miss
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2022, 10:32 AM   #65
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz
Yeah, throw that in the who gives a rats bucket.

The whole basis for the F-Series popularity in the USA (Historically) is that they have offered an inexpensive, powerful, practical vehicle, to millions of hard-working folk in "Middle America."
Selling a couple of thousand of ridiculously overpriced conversions here, to a bunch of CUBs with TPS is pretty irrelevant.

Rather than a step forward, I see this as yet another sign of Ford retreating from the market, content to market a few niche vehicles.

I wonder what plans they have to Screw up the Ranger? They must surely be working on something, as it has been too successful for too long already.
How about you do us all a favour and got haunt some other forum that gives a rats about your negative opinions about everything. In fact, how about I help you make that decision and just give us a break from you.

It's a good decision even if the volumes will be low with the only gotcha being the high cost of the unique to our version parts because of the low volumes but the RAM/Silverado have the same issues.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2022, 10:35 AM   #66
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
I think by the time we could potentially get it, there could be an electric Ranger.
I recon that would sell better anyway.

Perhaps add a 2 door to mimic the same sizing as the previous Lightings
Old 30-03-2022, 10:49 AM   #67
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
The EB is a great engine, and if it powers along at only 12L/100 all the better!

but your are correct - the sound means a lot to some.

Though personally despite my love of a V8 sound I've never owned one - practicality always gets in the way.

and as such I think Ranger will still sell a lot better than these F150s, especially if the price tag is what im Guessing it will be.

but there will be enough on our Roads to notice them, well they will be hard to miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8

The 3.5 EB is a cracker. It kills the V8 in every area bar the exhaust note. There's a reason it's the most popular engine choice in F-series.
Again no doubt the engine is the business, but unless I just see a different demographic most of the people buying these things are not that analytical.

If they can get some volume from the EB then well played, I fear its not going to get the same level of love simply because the others are V8...then throw in the Cummins factor for some.

The F series has a strong name so its got every chance to do well if they play it smart.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2022, 11:24 AM   #68
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Again no doubt the engine is the business, but unless I just see a different demographic most of the people buying these things are not that analytical.
I kind of agree, with the high purchase price the buyers are not worried about Fuel consumption, just like the top end Euros.

Ford made this call based on the much larger US market, and they still sell well there.

I guess the are not pandering to the complaints on social media "oh no V8 count me out" said by the guy driving a 20 year old XR8
This user likes this post:
Old 30-03-2022, 11:29 AM   #69
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
How about you do us all a favour and got haunt some other forum that gives a rats about your negative opinions about everything. In fact, how about I help you make that decision and just give us a break from you.

It's a good decision even if the volumes will be low with the only gotcha being the high cost of the unique to our version parts because of the low volumes but the RAM/Silverado have the same issues.
My favourite feature on this Forum Russell is “Ignore”.

Nuffies and Nutjobs get that beautiful flag against their username, it’s glorious
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2022, 11:44 AM   #70
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Its going to be interesting to see, as its main competitors all have V8's as noted previously....how many RAM/Silverado sales were people who used to buy XR8/SS?

With 3.5 only it smells a bit of the Raptor with a 4 pot but I guess we will see.

Lots of questions but glad they are giving it a crack, I too could see a Lightning in the stable.

Drive one!!
(Doesn’t smell in the least)
The ecoboost is an amazing bit of tech..
This thing totally blew me away…

Also driven most versions of Ram here… Both V8 & Cummins powered diesels..
The Ford is seriously streets ahead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2022, 11:46 AM   #71
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Good news storey - happy to see and in RHD wins hands down no matter the engine in the big picture.
It will not only pick up new incremental sales but some from the RAM/Silverado buyer for they'll always be RHD conversions, nothing beats a ex factory product.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2022, 11:51 AM   #72
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Drive one!!

The 3.5L Ecoboost was also good enough as the basis for the Ford GT also. It definitely has the pedigree and is no slouch.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2022, 12:49 PM   #73
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

If they can get some volume from the EB then well played, I fear its not going to get the same level of love simply because the others are V8...then throw in the Cummins factor for some.

The F series has a strong name so its got every chance to do well if they play it smart.
If the V6EB outsells the V8 comfortably in the good old USA, the home of the V8, then I don't see why it wouldn't be the same here.

And there is nothing stopping them introducing it later anyway. As they have said, they just want to get established and get vehicles out there, then they can worry about other variants later if the demand is there. Just having the 2 variants with the same driveline will significantly reduce complexity during start up.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2022, 01:29 PM   #74
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

Default Re: Announcement 6pm 29th March - F150 Is Coming to Australia

This news is sure to make everyone happy

https://www.ford.com.au/showroom/fut...3529_523767849
pwr4ce is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2022, 02:16 PM   #75
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
If the V6EB outsells the V8 comfortably in the good old USA, the home of the V8, then I don't see why it wouldn't be the same here.
Yeah but the markets are nothing alike, this is a pretty niche product here currently unless Ford thinks there is steady growth in the segment.

IMO there are people moving away from the LC70 and still old time XR8/SS buyers who will always want to have the top dog. FPV's own fortunes with the Barra vs the 5.4 show that logic doesnt always equate to sales but I guess we will see. I just hope they are not undercutting their own business case.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 30-03-2022 at 02:27 PM.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2022, 04:24 PM   #76
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 
Default Re: announcement 6pm 29th March

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post

Sad to think that within my Lifetime, Ford was at one point the number one selling brand in Australia, and built the number one selling car of all time.
Ford are still investing in this smallish market of ours, that's a good thing. Honestly didn't think we'd ever see an OEM supporting manufacturing of any type in this country again. Imagine the tug of war with the accountants to get a remanufacturing facility based out of Melbourne and not Thailand.

Retreating is what GM and Toyota did, as far as it relates to their Australian manufacturing/engineering operations anyway. In hindsight Ford have done well, they successfully pivoted from Falcon to Ranger and are a regular at the top of the monthly sales charts, they've given us bogans the only affordable V8 sports car on the market, they're supporting an Australian remanufacturing operation in addition to retaining a significant engineering base here. Not sure what more people want from this brand.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2022, 04:35 PM   #77
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post

Retreating is what GM and Toyota did, as far as it relates to their Australian manufacturing/engineering operations anyway. In hindsight Ford have done well, they successfully pivoted from Falcon to Ranger and are a regular at the top of the monthly sales charts, they've given us bogans the only affordable V8 sports car on the market, they're supporting an Australian remanufacturing operation in addition to retaining a significant engineering base here. Not sure what more people want from this brand.
Toyota didn't retreat at all, they moved from manufacturing (which was a token effort at best) simply because the cost to do so wasn't worth the effort once Ford and Holden closed.

They have kept their Port Melbourne (corporate and R&D) and Altona sites, they spent over $110m developing Altona to a full on R&D centre, with a focus on Hydrogen; they set up centre of excellence there. The have built a test track as well onsite to continue the R&D.
They have not closed shop, they are continuing work just like Ford.
Old 30-03-2022, 04:39 PM   #78
Hulsty

Toyota also have production lines in Australia, not like years past but still a decent operation, their engineering and R&D presence in Australia is significant.
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2022, 04:41 PM   #79
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Toyota didn't retreat at all, they moved from manufacturing (which was a token effort at best) simply because the cost to do so wasn't worth the effort once Ford and Holden closed.

They have kept their Port Melbourne (corporate and R&D) and Altona sites, they spent over $110m developing Altona to a full on R&D centre, with a focus on Hydrogen; they set up centre of excellence there. The have built a test track as well onsite to continue the R&D.
They have not closed shop, they are continuing work just like Ford.
Oh right, stand corrected on Toyota if that's the case. Haven't heard much about them lately.

Anyway, point is that Ford are still neck deep in this market and certainly not backing away.
3 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2022, 04:52 PM   #80
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Oh right, stand corrected on Toyota if that's the case. Haven't heard much about them lately.

Anyway, point is that Ford are still neck deep in this market and certainly not backing away.
Exactly, I think both organisations see the outcomes from AU based R&D. We're a bright bunch. If it wasn't for Australia there'd be no ute and the Landcruiser would be what it is today.

I am not sure about Ford, but within Toyota the R&D centre on Bertie St (soon to be relocated to Altona) is treated with the white gloves. They are the money maker in AU. To bid for jobs within the greater Toyota world the standards (security + technology) they must meet are pretty high. I only worked with Toyota for 3 years but it opened my eyes to the behind the scenes work.
Old 30-03-2022, 05:10 PM   #81
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden/ Daewoo / Opel or GM whatever you want to call them - not so active here anymore
Old 30-03-2022, 05:30 PM   #82
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah but the markets are nothing alike, this is a pretty niche product here currently unless Ford thinks there is steady growth in the segment.

IMO there are people moving away from the LC70 and still old time XR8/SS buyers who will always want to have the top dog. FPV's own fortunes with the Barra vs the 5.4 show that logic doesnt always equate to sales but I guess we will see. I just hope they are not undercutting their own business case.
To be fair, no one have Ranger Raptor a chance with the 2.0, worked out quite well in the end.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this works out well that they expand the range going forward, V8’s included.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2022, 06:28 PM   #83
Dave R

Quote:
Exactly, I think both organisations see the outcomes from AU based R&D. We're a bright bunch. If it wasn't for Australia there'd be no ute and the Landcruiser would be what it is today.

I am not sure about Ford, but within Toyota the R&D centre on Bertie St (soon to be relocated to Altona) is treated with the white gloves. They are the money maker in AU. To bid for jobs within the greater Toyota world the standards (security + technology) they must meet are pretty high. I only worked with Toyota for 3 years but it opened my eyes to the behind the scenes work.
Reminds me of circa '04 when Ford Australia introduced the Territory, then a year later Ford US launched a similar new product being the Freestyle. Lots of talk at that time about how the Australian designers and engineers had shown up their US counterparts - and likely on a smaller budget. Incredible talent in this country, Toyota are wise to have held onto it.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2022, 08:40 PM   #84
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
There’s no convincing some, the reason Ford made this happen is because enough people yelled loud enough and pointed to Ram sales

Quote:

Absolutely, they take to a drive in drive out tune that would make a Ram owner green with envy…

Quote:

It's simply not going to happen until Ford's new Kentucky Battery Plant comes on line within the next 2 or so years. The demand in the US for Lightning is just too great to be able to get any excess supply. It will probably come at some point down the track, but only when they can build enough of them.

The good thing is they haven't ruled anything out, and they want to get it all up and running with the 2 variants, and then go from there. Eventually the range will fill out with other models once it's all been worked out.
Forward orders of Lightning are massive, I think Aussies will be waiting years to get access to anything like decent BEV supplies of anything.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2022, 08:48 PM   #85
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:

And there is nothing stopping them introducing it later anyway. As they have said, they just want to get established and get vehicles out there, then they can worry about other variants later if the demand is there. Just having the 2 variants with the same driveline will significantly reduce complexity during start up.
This was my though also, get to the market with the most impressive engine, then evaluate other introductions later on.

While Ford have left the V8 for now, some might see this as a bad move considering the RAM and GM are V8's, on the other hand it could give them a point of difference. A V6 might appeal to those who don't want a V8 for the real or perceived fuel consumption penalty.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2022, 09:43 PM   #86
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Let the American Public iron out the kinks with the Lightning.
By the time it gets here in 2-3 years it will have better batteries and motors ect.
I wouldn't mind one that looked something like this.

CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2022, 10:34 PM   #87
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

F250 with the 7.3 Godzilla, please and thank you Mr Ford.
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2022, 02:05 AM   #88
blue sleeper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Drive one!!

How does it go off-road out of interest?

Have: 1JZ Soarer dump pipe, exhaust, coilovers , 17" mags
blue sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2022, 04:58 AM   #89
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
At around $100k might give the Thai Raptor a bit of a biffing
Raptor a Sports off road vehicle, F150 more of a workhorse with a lot bigger towing capacity.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2022, 05:10 AM   #90
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue sleeper View Post
How does it go off-road out of interest?
Off the highway here, practically all the “roads” are dirt and river rocks..
Drove it up my 5km dirt stretch.. Quite steep and it rode better than my Rhino side by side that has full gas suspension and 12” travel..
Drive our RAV4 daily up and down, and shakes the hell out of you at more than 15-20 kph.. The Rhino I can do 50 comfortably, the Raptor I did 50 effortlessly!
Not my vehicle so didn’t push it harder… The torque.. Terrific, but the Fox suspension was the really impressive bit… For such a huge (to me) vehicle.. Incredible! (If we were staying, I’d buy it in a heartbeat.. asking US$68k)
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post