Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 25-03-2022, 05:37 PM   #1
Fermenter
Starter Motor

Default Buying a late Mondeo - any advice?

Hi Mondeo owners,

A dealer near me has a late 2018 Ambiente wagon (turbo diesel auto) that I like the look of. I've also been considering low km 2016/17 examples.

Obviously the big thing that comes up when googling these is the auto trannie, but I haven't really been able to grasp the detail. Was it only the dry clutch version that had issues? Was it fixed in later models? Any clues I can look for on the forecourt?

I'm planning to visit this one next week so I'll be able to check the log book and also get the trannie codes etc, but any tips you can offer so I can shop around with my eyes open would be fantastic!
Fermenter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2022, 05:57 PM   #2
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Buying a late Mondeo - any advice?

Good Cars
Very well equipped (at least on the upper models) and underrated

Almost bought one a couple of times. (just missed out on a couple of Titaniums)

And yes, the problems were mostly with the smaller dry-clutch boxes.
If you go back to an MC model, I think the diesels still had a conventional auto.
Given all the powershart nightmares, which mostly occurred prior, I think they would have continued with the conventional box if the bigger DSGs had problems too.

Last edited by Crazy Dazz; 25-03-2022 at 06:04 PM.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2022, 08:35 PM   #3
thebigd

Hey Fermenter.
I would support Crazy's comments above.
We have a dozen MD's in our fleet with a couple at around 200,000 K's. None of our reps have reported gearbox issues.
IMO, keep it serviced, use the correct oil and you'll enjoy the ride.
Since we run diesels, we choose to service them every 10K, not 15K as per the service book.
Mine is an 18.75 Trend Hatch, and I absolutely love it. That's coming from someone that's had XR6 company cars for the last 20 years.
Good luck !

Last edited by thebigd; 25-03-2022 at 08:47 PM.
thebigd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2022, 09:11 PM   #4
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The MC and some late MB's had Powershift. From other's experience, it appears the early transmissions are the most likely to have problems.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
Old 25-03-2022, 10:39 PM   #5
Mondaveo

Thumbs down Re: Buying a late Mondeo - any advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6 View Post
The MC and some late MB's had Powershift. From other's experience, it appears the early transmissions are the most likely to have problems.
"Early" being specifically 2010 & 2011-built examples that were prone to a semi-common defect. From (some point in) 2012 onwards it seems they resolved that issue and we basically don't hear about failures any more.

It was the "dry" clutch Powershift gearbox fitted to the smaller cars that garnered a reputation as an absolute dog (and deservedly so), but the Mondeo only ran the "wet" clutch, which was basically robust but has suffered being lumbered with the same name.

If they're maintained and working well, they're a lovely thing to drive. The DCT shifts sharp but smooth, and I adore how the turbo-diesel engine has so much torque it basically doesn't notice how loaded up the car might be (as I frequently do with a family). The only thing I don't love is the lag in power delivery when taking off from a standstill, it's very doughy for a second until it spools up and then it gets you moving, so that's just something you have to learn to drive around.

Servicing can get a bit expensive. The wet-clutch Powershift requires a fluid and filter change every 4 years or 60,000km under normal operation according to the booklet for my MC. The DCT fluid typically runs anywhere from $20 to $50 a litre, and you'll need between 6 and 7 litres of it to fill your transmission. That will tend to eat into any savings you might realise from the supposed fuel efficiency gains over a conventional auto (although considering the direction bowser prices are headed, maybe not!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2022, 11:56 PM   #6
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6 View Post
The MC and some late MB's had Powershift
Sorry, my bad.

Wagons stayed popular in Australia, perhaps more so than other markets. (Although I think they still sell in Europe?)
But probably not as popular as SUVs
But in any event the Mondeos were one of the few affordable Wagon options remaining, and the only Ford after they pensioned off the BuF.

And the combination of torque and economy from the TD, made then very popular in some segments. Local Governments especially seemed to like them

If you're serious, you should check out Pickles and other ex-govt auctions, as there should still be some of the last Mondeos coming onto the market.

I understand that towards the end, FoA cut down on the number of trim levels, which was long overdue, and might be a good thing as they may have featured better levels of equipment.

Ultimately the reason I didn't end up with a Mondeo, is that the base-model interior was deliberately cheap (especially in the MC) so I was always on the hunt for a Titanium. But the good ones just got snapped up too quick.
Old 26-03-2022, 09:49 AM   #7
Fermenter
Starter Motor

Thanks for all the good info.

The poverty pack Ambiente will probably do me fine (in fact the bigger rubber and simpler suspension may even be a plus for me) and there are a lot more of them around so I should be able to find a great one in my budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondaveo View Post
The only thing I don't love is the lag in power delivery when taking off from a standstill, it's very doughy for a second until it spools up and then it gets you moving, so that's just something you have to learn to drive around
It sounds like you're describing my partner's diesel Focus (2012ish) - I hated it when I first started driving it, but you do get used to it pretty quickly. Besides, I have a 30km highway commute to a town with no traffic lights, so I really only 'take off' twice a day anyway
This user likes this post:
Old 26-03-2022, 03:30 PM   #8
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermenter View Post
The poverty pack Ambiente will probably do me fine (in fact the bigger rubber and simpler suspension may even be a plus for me) and there are a lot more of them around so I should be able to find a great one in my budget.l
When I was looking, it was mostly at the MC, and the pov pack interior was just nasty.
But the MD looks a lot better, and was better equipt.
If you are able to stretch to a later model, FoA actually cut the other trim levels, and added extra features to the base Ambiente.
Quote:
the 2020 Mondeo line-up will feature automatic high-beam, speed limit warnings, lane-keeping assist and lane-departure warning, and autonomous emergency braking with pedestrian detection.
It will also ride on new 17-inch alloy wheels as standard.
Quote:
It sounds like you're describing my partner's diesel Focus (2012ish) - I hated it when I first started driving it, but you do get used to it pretty quickly. Besides, I have a 30km highway commute to a town with no traffic lights, so I really only 'take off' twice a day anyway
Depends on your driving style
Basically it is the same engine, although the Mondeo versions were generally more powerful.
Personally I find the low-end torque of the diesel to be a good compromise.
The car I drive most at the moment is a heavyish SUV with a woefully small TD. If you're looking to win any traffic-light drags, then this aint the car for it.
On the other hand, it will cruise at 100kph, pulling 1,500rpm in 6th gear, and using 3L/100km
Old 26-03-2022, 10:13 PM   #9
Fermenter
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Personally I find the low-end torque of the diesel to be a good compromise.
The car I drive most at the moment is a heavyish SUV with a woefully small TD. If you're looking to win any traffic-light drags, then this aint the car for it.
On the other hand, it will cruise at 100kph, pulling 1,500rpm in 6th gear, and using 3L/100km
Wow, 3L/100km? Really?!

I have a 2008 Rodeo 4WD with an Isuzu 3.0 TDi. It's been off the road a bit lately, and I've realised how stuffed I am without a vehicle. I had been dreaming of an upgrade to a 200 series cruiser, but I think a better plan is to keep the Rodeo as a workhorse and the Mondeo will make a nicer (and cheaper) ride for the commute and occasional interstate trips. Traffic light drags aren't real high on my list
Old 28-03-2022, 08:09 PM   #10
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Wow, 3L/100km? Really?!
I don't tend to do much driving in heavy traffic, so overall consumption is around 5.5. But yes, when cruising at a steady speed, it drops right off.
100kph is actually a pretty sweet spot. At 90, I can just get it into top-gear, but at the slightest rise, it needs to kick-down.
Old 29-03-2022, 12:25 AM   #11
Fermenter
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
when cruising at a steady speed, it drops right off.
100kph is actually a pretty sweet spot. At 90, I can just get it into top-gear, but at the slightest rise, it needs to kick-down.
That sounds perfect! Pretty much all my driving is at 100
Old 31-03-2022, 02:57 AM   #12
Fermenter
Starter Motor

Hi all, just following up - I'm definitely looking at an MD in Ambiente spec. Can anyone give me a quick rundown of the different MD updates?

I'm weighing up an older model (eg 2016) with lower kms vs a newer model (2018) with higher kms. I realise I'd be getting SYNC2 in the older model vs SYNC3 in the newer. The wagons all had 17" wheels I believe, so that's the same. Anything else I should be aware of? Did the cargo area (barriers etc) change at all throughout the MD run?
Old 31-03-2022, 09:17 AM   #13
frankie86
Sprinting Everywhere!

Quote:
Hi all, just following up - I'm definitely looking at an MD in Ambiente spec. Can anyone give me a quick rundown of the different MD updates?

I'm weighing up an older model (eg 2016) with lower kms vs a newer model (2018) with higher kms. I realise I'd be getting SYNC2 in the older model vs SYNC3 in the newer. The wagons all had 17" wheels I believe, so that's the same. Anything else I should be aware of? Did the cargo area (barriers etc) change at all throughout the MD run?
You wont regret a MD mondeo, I've had a lifetime of falcons (incl a sprint), my daily is a MY17.5 ambiente wagon and hand on heart it leaves falcons for dead.

there is usually small differences, I found when i was looking the 16 plate wagons had a big middle rear headrest which hindered rear vision, the 17's had a flush headrest which keeps vision out the back clear, MY17.5 doesn't have a gloss black centre console trim which I like better, the gloss black ones had micro scratches that show up so easily, and apart from sync2 and sync3 not too much difference, I'd try shoot for a sync3 car personally.

You'll probably also find on MY18 ambiente's they had an addition of passenger front seat lumber support & also i'm sure they had the handbrake switch moved to the RH side of the console

Cargo area's are all the same on MD's

Hope you end up with the mondeo they are really underrated
frankie86 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2022, 01:53 PM   #14
Fermenter
Starter Motor

Well it's done. I met a bloke driving a BMW with an orange stripe and Australia Day strobes while driving home from work this morning (no cruise control, I'm using a mate's old farm ute as mine's been in the shop for weeks). I decided it was an omen.

I went with the older/lower km option. It's an immaculate MD Ambiente, November 2016 build, just 22k on the clock. A later model would have been a bit nicer but I couldn't go past the low k's. The next scheduled service will be the 60k - which will include the transmission - so that'll be done by 25k. Should have a good few years in it!

I pick it up next week. Thanks for all the good info, it's been a great help!
2 users like this post: