Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-09-2007, 12:06 AM   #1
Mondie
Firm member

Default Giocattolo Group B - just bought one. Possibly Australia's ultimate supercar.

Back in 1988 when 17 l remember walking through the entry gates at World Expo 88 held in Brisbane and being awestruck by a pair of exotic cars on display. l had no idea what they were but l knew they were the horniest cars l had ever laid eyes on. There was a red and yellow car on display plus a large glass cabinet containing an engine/transaxle which looked like something out of a science fiction movie to a mechanically inept 17yo. l had no idea what l was looking at nor how to pronounce their name "Giocattolo" But l knew that one day l would own one.

And as of this weekend, l do. Here she is, less than 5000kms on the clock, 2 owners, original tyres, Logbooks and in absolutely brand new condition. The Giocattolo runs a mid mounted VL Walkinshaw 304 V8 through a 5 spd ZF transaxle and features F! type suspension, Magnesium Brembo brakes, extensive use of Kevlar and weighs in at only 1085kg. Stock the cars had 230kw, mine has been stroked out to 355 and now has 300kw. It is absolutely exhilarating to drive, the acceleration is lethal and the noise with that engine sitting right behind you like nothing l have ever experienced. However the handling is what really makes this car extra special, the Giocattolo feels welded to the road. The mid mount engine and perfect 40/60 weight distribution combined with the huge rubber really does make it feel like a road registered go kart.

Only 3 prototypes and 12 production cars were ever made. Selling these at $90k+ in the late 80's as the economy headed into meltdown proved to be too hard. The Giocattolo was so far ahead of its time, remember this car was released at the same time as the VN Commodore!!

If anybody has any old magazines or other information on the Giocattolo, please drop me a PM as l am chasing down as much history and background on these cars as l can. There are only a couple of pages on the net and not much else l can find so any help would be appreciated,

Here's some pics ....

Mondie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 12:13 AM   #2
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Awesome car mate, i remember them well and saw them at the motor show at that time.

Hard to believe someone would make one of those out of an Alfa romeo!!!!
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 12:19 AM   #3
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

I loved those in the 80's.....

Where the hell did you find one in such good nick?
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 12:28 AM   #4
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

mate thats friggin awsome!!!!!

pitty theyre a holden engine though :P

nah great car mate, would love some videos of it! (though you might want to change the wheels if you intend to keep driving it around alot!)
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 12:31 AM   #5
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

well very different, i quite like it sits in bout the same boat as the deloran i think very nice find and looks in mint condition too

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 12:42 AM   #6
cowboy
Cowboy

Sweeeeet. Like a go kart with a lunar rocket attached!
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 12:44 AM   #7
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Fantastic! Incredible that the car only has 5000km - why would you own one & almost never drive it??? Good for you though of course.

I can help with some magazine scans - I have some Motor mags with Giocattolo articles as Barry Lake was quite keen on it, and there was also a review in Aust Muscle Car mag which gave the story of why the venture closed down.

Originally the cars were going to have an Alfa V6 but obviously a bit more grunt is never a bad thing. The biggest obstacles were that they had to go through the same approval process as Ford & Holden - there weren't any low-volume concessions back then as there are these days, and also they had to pay import duty on all components which made the ZF transaxle ridiculously expensive ($25k from memory!) for one example.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 12:47 AM   #8
Sick EB
ORSM Ford Cruisers

jeez thats pritty tough. where did u get it from?

1993 EB2 Gli---->Build Thread
2008 FG XR8 SEDAN 300RWKW N/A

2008 FG XR6 TURBO-UTE>>> SOLD
2002 AU3 XLS UTE>>>SOLD
Sick EB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 12:57 AM   #9
Mondie
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCSEDAN
though you might want to change the wheels if you intend to keep driving it around alot!
Your not wrong there, the tyres seem very hard but suprisngly it grips ok. Getting my hands on a pair of 285/40/15's for the rear is proving very difficult though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
I can help with some magazine scans - I have some Motor mags with Giocattolo articles as Barry Lake was quite keen on it, and there was also a review in Aust Muscle Car mag which gave the story of why the venture closed down.
That would be great, l am buying mags as they come up on ebay but so far l have only managed to find a May 87 Wheels, a couple of Sports Car World Mags and an Australian Clasic Car mag that have Giocattolo articles. Do you know what issue of Australian Muscle car mag these got a mention in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick EB
jeez thats pritty tough. where did u get it from?
l bought it from Bob Roman in Sydney, he had owned it for about 8 yrs and originally got it from the 1st owner.

Cheers Mondie
Mondie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 01:05 AM   #10
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

I am jealous.

That thing is amazing, i remember then when they were new, congrats on an awesome purchase.
Old 24-09-2007, 01:05 AM   #11
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

wow that is an awesome buy congrats on the purchase and enjoy it! imho a much better buy than the 5, 6, 700,000$+ gtho's

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 01:12 AM   #12
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondie
Your not wrong there, the tyres seem very hard but suprisngly it grips ok. Getting my hands on a pair of 285/40/15's for the rear is proving very difficult though.
i'd be interested to see where you get those tires mate!
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 01:15 AM   #13
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Wicked car, congrats on the purchase.
Will you be driving it much and was the insurance easy to set-up?

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 01:15 AM   #14
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Reminds me of Aus's other supercar, the Detomaso Pantera.

What a pearler indeed, reminds me of the yellow one in the shannons ad.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 01:47 AM   #15
carnutt

"Bluddy Beeutiful" Mondie , you only 1 chance in a lifetime to find a car like that . Sure it's done 5,000 k's , looks more like 500 k's :

(Keep it like that or "I'll Rip Your Bluddy Arms Orff)

Congrat's , mate

carnutt

(PM sent)
carnutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 05:22 AM   #16
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

on the yokohama site you can get the radial 352 in 295/50/15 about the closest i could find

even google searching the size you want doesn't show up much lol
seems the de-tomaso pantera had that same tyre http://www.pim.net/28.1pim.html
Old 24-09-2007, 08:33 AM   #17
colossus
Secret Sleuth

That is one cool car. Do you mind saying a ballpark figure on what it set you back?
Old 24-09-2007, 09:23 AM   #18
Ringo
I see you....

Excellent pick up!

I know that one of these bit the dust at Eastern Creeka few years back. I'm sure someone knows more about it than I do.

Some wealthy computer programmer guy put twin turbos on his engine and was at eastern creek taking part in a track day. Something wnet wrong and he didn't turn left and the end of the main straight and ended up in the wall at some horrendous speed and died.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 09:25 AM   #19
BadMac
I still have both eyes

Great buy. I also saw them at Expo in 88 as a wide eyed 20 year old.

Street machine had an article at design and prototype time following all the history and the various turns and troubles (Alfa wouldn't sell them the body only so they were buying whole cars and stripping them). Anyway I don;t remember which issues it was, but it had a yellow one on the front cover. Would have been 87/88/89 sometime.
BadMac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 09:53 AM   #20
ratman
krunch krunch hsv 4 lunch

Good stuff mate, used to be a yellow 1 here in Canberra, awesome machine - any pics of the tool kit? that was a classic with the shot glasses.
ratman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 09:55 AM   #21
cowboy
Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo
Excellent pick up!

I know that one of these bit the dust at Eastern Creeka few years back. I'm sure someone knows more about it than I do.

Some wealthy computer programmer guy put twin turbos on his engine and was at eastern creek taking part in a track day. Something wnet wrong and he didn't turn left and the end of the main straight and ended up in the wall at some horrendous speed and died.
His name was Todd Wilkes. The engine was the twin turbo stroker from his VS ute/showcar, had a true 1000hp. Could smoke the tyres at 100kph apparently. From memory I think he was running the circuit in reverse for some reason and missed the turn at the end of the straight due to a slight downhill slope. ie braked late. Was a beautiful car, yellow. So there's one less Giacottolo in the world. Was a sad day for the car world to lose the car and a man like Todd.
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 10:10 AM   #22
BROCKYB8
YEAH IT IS A FORD

yeah it was todd willkes and he was doing a display of power on the day . IT was a early version of what we now call powercruise. I had my 302 cortina at the event . He hit the wall at about 150km ph . THat car however i believe was modified the hell out of . THey had to rip alot out. There was a write up on them in street machine b4 and after his death at eastern creek .

THe main problem that said was that he had a standard seat belt and he went throught the window when the accident happened.