Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2022, 02:00 PM   #61
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Vfacts april 2022

I'm not convinced on CVT, but I guess thats pretty obvious
3 users like this post:
Old 09-05-2022, 05:53 PM   #62
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I'm not convinced on CVT, but I guess thats pretty obvious
The one exception I can think of is the E-CVT in the Ford FWD based hybrids, it’s basically a modified Auto casing that uses the engine and two electric motors to balance ICE to electric drive and another motor that turns to change the gear ratio.
Old 09-05-2022, 07:46 PM   #63
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
I've only driven a couple of CVTs
I a pathfinder it was horrid, kept in high revs all the time its like the Vehicle is too heavy for it.

In a Corolla, it was perfect, kept the little car at low revs so used little fuel and was quiet so really didn't notice the one gear feeling.

I think a lot of anti CVT stems from people who want a Manual anyway.
but.. Manuals are disappearing, new Fords have 10 speeds so will feel like a CVT anyway as a good auto you wont feel any shift

or you could end up drive an EV with no gear changes anyway..
Similar experiences to you, we had a 2013 Outlander with the 2.0l and CVT, horrible bloody thing that required you to rev the ring out of it to go anywhere even with the lightest loads.
Took it to Mitsubishi to enquire as to whether it could be recalibrated as I wasnt sure if it was an adaptive system that was still holding gears from learned behavior, got told no, it is what it is, we soon gave the bloody thing to my Wifes parents as we hated it, that was 4 and a half years ago and they still have it and its still going strong with 170k's on the clock.

Fast forward to late 2020 and my Wife bought a current model ASX with same driveline, completely different car with less weight to shift and rarely saw it revving hard for general use.

Had a Corolla hire car with the CVT, same thing, drove well, probably better than the ASX again.
I think the CVT has a place but only in light weight applications.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-05-2022, 08:03 PM   #64
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Similar experiences to you, we had a 2013 Outlander with the 2.0l and CVT, horrible bloody thing that required you to rev the ring out of it to go anywhere even with the lightest loads.
Took it to Mitsubishi to enquire as to whether it could be recalibrated as I wasnt sure if it was an adaptive system that was still holding gears from learned behavior, got told no, it is what it is, we soon gave the bloody thing to my Wifes parents as we hated it, that was 4 and a half years ago and they still have it and its still going strong with 170k's on the clock.

Fast forward to late 2020 and my Wife bought a current model ASX with same driveline, completely different car with less weight to shift and rarely saw it revving hard for general use.

Had a Corolla hire car with the CVT, same thing, drove well, probably better than the ASX again.
I have driven a couple of Corolla's and Subaru's with CVT's. For what sort of car they are and the sort of driving then do, they were fine.

The best case scenario for a CVT is in sedate cruising or city driving. In such situations, you are using light throttle pressure and the CVT does its thing to keep the revs low. They are perfectly suited to that sort of driving and that sort of driver.

Move beyond those parameters, and CVT's are horrible. The percentage of drivers who would be concerned about unpleasant constant high revs under heavy throttle applications would be in the single figures though on cars like the Corolla, Camry or ASX. In a performance car like the Subaru WRX, they really let the side down.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
5 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2022, 07:12 AM   #65
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
The one exception I can think of is the E-CVT in the Ford FWD based hybrids, it’s basically a modified Auto casing that uses the engine and two electric motors to balance ICE to electric drive and another motor that turns to change the gear ratio.
Honda has a E CVT, they are not a ‘traditional’ CVT in that they do not have the belt & pulley system.Instead it has a lock up clutch(pack) which connects to the trans @ speeds over 80kph or when sudden acceleration is required.It is only a one speed gearbox & holds the revs until the throttle is released.
Old 10-05-2022, 10:00 AM   #66
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Same experience in that I felt the car was just revving high and wasn't fun. In theory, it should be more fuel efficient with infinite number of gears so to speak but it felt weird coming from traditional Autos. Supposed to keep the car in its sweet spot longer in theory. Also, when you mash the pedal, it takes longer for the band to get to the right point/ratio.

The 10 speed still gives you those kickdowns that people have come to love. I do agree they feel a bit CVT hunting for the right ratio and revs all over the shop). I personally hate All Automatics (I'm one of those who just love Manuals). EVs are the only "automatics" that I like that aren't really automatics.
You Cannot get more automatic than a straight drive EV no different than a golf cart IMO
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Old 10-05-2022, 10:04 AM   #67
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post

I forgot I recently drove an ASX too, not for long but really wasn't that noticeable being a CVT I suppose that's good? the Corolla works great, Toyotas biggest seller I guess they would get it right.

noting both are smallish cars
This user likes this post:
Old 10-05-2022, 10:06 AM   #68
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I have driven a couple of Corolla's and Subaru's with CVT's. For what sort of car they are and the sort of driving then do, they were fine.

The best case scenario for a CVT is in sedate cruising or city driving. In such situations, you are using light throttle pressure and the CVT does its thing to keep the revs low. They are perfectly suited to that sort of driving and that sort of driver.

Move beyond those parameters, and CVT's are horrible. The percentage of drivers who would be concerned about unpleasant constant high revs under heavy throttle applications would be in the single figures though on cars like the Corolla, Camry or ASX. In a performance car like the Subaru WRX, they really let the side down.
they put a CVT in a WRX! you see that's where it all goes wrong..

I agree with your assessment above
This user likes this post:
Old 10-05-2022, 10:32 AM   #69
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
You Cannot get more automatic than a straight drive EV no different than a golf cart IMO
Automatic means to change gears automatically. Manual, you change gears manually. When there are no gears, it can't be an automatic anymore. If anything, it's a single speed clutchless manual cause you do shift it once and once alone.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2022, 10:40 AM   #70
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Automatic means to change gears automatically. Manual, you change gears manually. When there are no gears, it can't be an automatic anymore. If anything, it's a single speed clutchless manual cause you do shift it once and once alone.

Thanks for the lesson.... my comment still stands
Old 10-05-2022, 10:41 AM   #71
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Thanks for the lesson.... my comment still stands
I don't think it ever did. But we can agree to disagree. Lighten up, it's just a bit of fun. I even put a smiley to say it's just funny.

Old 10-05-2022, 10:52 AM   #72
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LOL you Can't take a joke, and had to send me some sort of lesson.

But given your response I suggest you look up the definition of Automatic in the dictionary.

(of a device or process) working by itself with little or no direct human control.
done or occurring spontaneously, without conscious thought or attention.
Old 10-05-2022, 10:56 AM   #73
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
LOL you Can't take a joke, and had to send me some sort of lesson.

But given your response I suggest you look up the definition of Automatic in the dictionary.

(of a device or process) working by itself with little or no direct human control.
done or occurring spontaneously, without conscious thought or attention.
Sorry you saw that as a lesson. I was laughing whilst writing it.

Anyway, I did do what you suggested... and dictionary.com agrees with my take as does most. But you are right wrt the Taycan. Only EV with an Automatic (2 speed).

Old 10-05-2022, 11:20 AM   #74
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see you googled "Automatic Transmission"

would you like a bigger shovel

I'm still laugh about this

I personally hate All Automatics (I'm one of those who just love Manuals). EVs are the only "automatics" that I like that aren't really automatics.
Closed Thread