Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 05-06-2006, 09:11 PM   #1
ozzyjim

Default tailgate up or down? (mythbusters)

Hi all,
not sure if this should be here but here goes anyway. I just watched on mythbusters an episode about driving with the tailgate up causes more drag than with it down. They both drive some sort of pickups which were identical with the same amount of fuel etc..

The results were suprising to say the least, the pick up with the tailgate down ran out of fuel before the tailgate up pickup did which ran a further 30 miles before running out. Then they use some form of wind tunnel (water actually), and found that the pickup model with the tailgate down caused more drag then the pickup with it up.

The pickup with the tailgate up caused a bubble of water in the bed and this in turn caused the faster moving water to glide over the bubble and pickup, where the tailgate down bursted this bubble causing the water to push down on the tailgate and cause more drag.

So basicly, what do you ute drag racer think? i know a lot of you put it down, have you guys tested this? I just this was an interesting show and would like to see your thoughts on it

Cheers
Jim

Old 05-06-2006, 09:24 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

phew glad I did a search.

I just caught the end of it.very interesting indeed as most drag people seem to think that it makes a difference having it down...anyone have any TIMED runs up and down?

The only thing stopping their theory with drag racing is the speeds. I dont think they measured how fast the flow was in the tank? There might be a critical speed where it actually makes a difference in a drag race.

ie - for the first half its not going that quick, but towards the end it might make a differnce.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2006, 11:16 PM   #3
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

Thats exactly what i thought would hapen if the tail gatewas left in, i gess what drag racers would do it for woul be to save some weight, not really aerodynamics.

Very interesting stuff though.
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2006, 11:49 PM   #4
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyjim
Hi all,
not sure if this should be here but here goes anyway. I just watched on mythbusters an episode about driving with the tailgate up causes more drag than with it down. They both drive some sort of pickups which were identical with the same amount of fuel etc..

The results were suprising to say the least, the pick up with the tailgate down ran out of fuel before the tailgate up pickup did which ran a further 30 miles before running out. Then they use some form of wind tunnel (water actually), and found that the pickup model with the tailgate down caused more drag then the pickup with it up.

The pickup with the tailgate up caused a bubble of water in the bed and this in turn caused the faster moving water to glide over the bubble and pickup, where the tailgate down bursted this bubble causing the water to push down on the tailgate and cause more drag.

So basicly, what do you ute drag racer think? i know a lot of you put it down, have you guys tested this? I just this was an interesting show and would like to see your thoughts on it

Cheers
Jim
I have tried it and i rekon it makes about 5/100ths difference, it definatly stops a kind of "vortex" happening when it is down.
Taking it off is the best option, both for weight saving and aerodynamics
Old 06-06-2006, 01:04 AM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Cam, I dont know if I am reading your post wrong but they say flow is better when its up, with the vortex.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 06-06-2006, 03:34 AM   #6
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

I always raced with mine down, Hamo now does the same... interesting discussion.
What type of Utes were they?

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2006, 01:12 PM   #7
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Cam, I dont know if I am reading your post wrong but they say flow is better when its up, with the vortex.
I have found slightly better results with it down !!!
But .05 seconds could also be any variable, maybe my imagination too.lol
Old 06-06-2006, 01:30 PM   #8
turboute
turboute

It also will move 50?kg of weight 20-30cm's back wich could give a bit more weight leverage for traction over the back wheels (maybe could help)

Judging by the amount of depression in my tonneu cover when I travel at 100km/hr I would guess that over 100km/hr it would be good keeping it down - I can actually feel the downforce this generates on the end of my ute - probably the evivalent to over 50kgs in the back of the tray at least.
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2006, 01:46 PM   #9
ozzyjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
I always raced with mine down, Hamo now does the same... interesting discussion.
What type of Utes were they?
All i know is that were big pickups US style.

Cheers
Jim
Old 06-06-2006, 02:41 PM   #10
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

which generally have the same tray style as our utes.

perhaps with drag racing it makes bugger all difference, but general highway cruising I think it woudl improve economy having it up.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 06-06-2006, 04:14 PM   #11
dazzle260

in my ute (which i had to sell for an extending family) there was a huge depression in the torneau cover right at the back suggesting the tailgate(and or tub) was stopping air from exeting cleanly. im assuming it would depend on speeds and exactly the shape of the ute also.
dazzle260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2006, 07:02 PM   #12
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboute
It also will move 50?kg of weight 20-30cm's back wich could give a bit more weight leverage for traction over the back wheels (maybe could help)
Tailgate weighs 25kg and power to weight is what you want, sticky tyres will fix the traction problems.

With tailgate up the air flows over the roof down onto the tray hitting the tailgate spiraling back creating a eddy of air which is creating drag, dropping the tailgate the air goes over the roof down through the tray and out the back no drag.

Myself always run with tailgate down even better off.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2006, 07:05 PM   #13
LUXO_8
windsor user

they were new F150's....

was very interesting i'll say....
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2006, 07:18 PM   #14
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

If you run with the tailgate down it should be less resistance, but added bonus is..............

the paint chips you get in the tailgate will result in less weight, any one know how much a paint chip would weigh????

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2006, 08:17 PM   #15
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

but more drag if its down
Old 06-06-2006, 08:50 PM   #16
rapidxr6
AS IT SAYS.....

The test on myth busters concluded that with the tail gate up the 'vortex' of slow moving air was created in the rear allowing the faster moving air to glide over it aerodynamically. With the tail gate down there was no or little vortex however the faster moving air puhed right down on the rear of vehicle, as a result excess force was generated to the rear axles making the car not as "efficient" due to this.
The purpose of the test was to find out which was more efficent, up or down in an open road environment.
However ...Drag racing ...well the extra down force on the rear axle with the tail gate down=quicker times to me.
So each purpose to its own gain. : _2:
rapidxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2006, 10:02 PM   #17
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidxr6
The test on myth busters concluded that with the tail gate up the 'vortex' of slow moving air was created in the rear allowing the faster moving air to glide over it aerodynamically. With the tail gate down there was no or little vortex however the faster moving air puhed right down on the rear of vehicle, as a result excess force was generated to the rear axles making the car not as "efficient" due to this.
The purpose of the test was to find out which was more efficent, up or down in an open road environment.
However ...Drag racing ...well the extra down force on the rear axle with the tail gate down=quicker times to me.
So each purpose to its own gain. : _2:
Makes sense that it creates downward pressure on the laid down tailgate, as it is similar to what doorslammers use with those big flat sheetmetal wings on the back for downforce on the rear tyres for extra traction. More downforce usually means more drag.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2006, 10:17 PM   #18
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has given endless help in the cleveland section over the years. Knows his stuff and happily tests on the track and gives no fuss results. 

Their trucks were also dual cabs with only a short rear tray. It would have been better to see how a traditional long tray would go as the aerodynamics would be slightly different.

Would be intersting too see separate results with torneau or hard cover.

I think they ended up driving 600 miles (almost 1000km) to run the fuel tanks dry and then there was only about 30-40 miles difference. So on a quick 1/4 mile squirt, I reckon there wouldn't be much in it.

TruBlu351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2006, 12:01 AM   #19
ozzyjim

So maybe it comes down to this, keep the tailgate up for less drag VS keeping it down for better traction.

Im guessing you ute owners would opt for the traction??

Cheers
Jim
ps. would like to see some back to back timed runs.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:07 AM   #20
rodderz

I used to race mine with the tarp on, never tried the tailgate trick as everyone was getting stones flicked up on the return road from sticky tyres
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2006, 01:37 PM   #21
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

What if you had a "variable" tailgate (ala Porsche Whaletail) that changed angle according to speed? (just watch your fingies when it closes automatically)
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 08:31 PM   #22
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowride260
Tailgate weighs 25kg and power to weight is what you want, sticky tyres will fix the traction problems.

With tailgate up the air flows over the roof down onto the tray hitting the tailgate spiraling back creating a eddy of air which is creating drag, dropping the tailgate the air goes over the roof down through the tray and out the back no drag.

Myself always run with tailgate down even better off.
Agree with Wade here, remove it!
Old 10-06-2006, 01:09 PM   #23
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Why not keep the hardcover fitted?

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2006, 01:27 PM   #24
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_EF8
Why not keep the hardcover fitted?
becuase they are real heavy

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2006, 01:35 PM   #25
ReVd_uP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

has anyone ever compared the difference running with and without the hard cover??
ReVd_uP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2006, 02:40 PM   #26
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVd_uP
has anyone ever compared the difference running with and without the hard cover??
Go by the weight of a hard cover (40-60kg) you would expect atleast 1-1.5 tenths improvement without it, power to weight is everthing.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2006, 06:50 PM   #27
ReVd_uP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think if i ever get to running my ute down the strip id leave it on, just so i get an idication of what id run in full street trim, probably leave the motorbike ramp kit and tie down kit bolted inside the tub too,... mainly coz id be too lazy to pull them out,...
Old 10-06-2006, 08:41 PM   #28
MIEF9640

congratulations lowride is exactly for that reason is reccomended that the tailgate be dropped nothing to do with traction if stone chips are a problem slow down on the return has been like that for 20 years and will never change if that is a problem lift the gate before returning oxford scholar not required for that idea power to weight is great idea for super stock but these are all street cars prostreet is illegal here unfortunately also on going through scrutineering it should be told to you that the tailgate is normally down during the run it's the same principal as windows are to be up also these issues are all to do with RULES OF RACING if that is understood....also if that bike rack is not secured to the floor you would be pulling it out before you got anywhere near the track let alone run down it .... : :eclipsee_

Last edited by MIEF9640; 10-06-2006 at 08:45 PM. Reason: forgot part
MIEF9640 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 11:18 PM   #29
ReVd_uP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dunno if you've ever seen the factory motorbike ramp kit, but the mount point for the bikes front wheels stays bolted to the front of the tub, the actual ramp stays in my garage....
Old 12-06-2006, 11:35 AM   #30
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

I saw most of the segment, typical mythbusters really. As Trublu351 mentioned above they were big F150 crew cab utes which would minimise any tailgate effect (high cab and short bed compared to our utes). I remember seeing a concept truck years ago that was a hybrid or similar, it had a hard cover on the rear half of the bed for aero reasons which would contradict the mythbusters findings.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post