Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-08-2005, 01:59 PM   #1
Aussie Pete

Default Programming CB SCanners for 'Emergency Services'

decided to step up and get a CB that is programmable to also get Police channels. Anyone have a listing of channels based on the Hume Hwy, particularly in Vic? A list of chennel versus location would be great.

Before you go and tell me the obvious I realise it will be limited because many country revenue raisers use VHF, but something is better than nothing. Ideally I'd like the full 'fax machine' under the dash but room is an issue as well as aerials.

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2005, 02:34 PM   #2
AUII_Forte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try this site http://www.aca.gov.au/pls/radcom/***...e.range_search

Just enter the postcode and it'll bring up a listing of all the freq's registered in that area, then you just have to pick out the ones you want.

Pacemaker 4490 Extractors
2.5" Exhaust
High Flow Cat
SS Inductions "Growler" CAI
Underdrive Pulley
Mal Wood H/D Clutch
Custom Tune
18" XHP Sabre's
12" Kicker Sub
169.2 rwkw
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2005, 02:38 PM   #3
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

No point listening to the police channels to get the location of the "revenue raisers". Better off listening to truckies. Traffic police basically never give their location over the radio. There's no need for them to.
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2005, 02:45 PM   #4
AUII_Forte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In NSW they call "off" when ever they are out of their vehicle.

I.E. a HWP Officer nabbing people would say: "Orana 202 (or whatever the vehicles callsign is) going off on ***** St, cross of ***** St, in *****, re lidar duties".

Pacemaker 4490 Extractors
2.5" Exhaust
High Flow Cat
SS Inductions "Growler" CAI
Underdrive Pulley
Mal Wood H/D Clutch
Custom Tune
18" XHP Sabre's
12" Kicker Sub
169.2 rwkw
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2005, 02:53 PM   #5
Aussie Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA_Turbs
No point listening to the police channels to get the location of the "revenue raisers". Better off listening to truckies. Traffic police basically never give their location over the radio. There's no need for them to.
Being a truckie I learnt a long time ago most 'first' spots occur care of a scanner. I've had better experience using the fax machine south of Vic/NSW border than the UHF. Truckie advice tends to be wholly reliant on volume of traffic and some truckie company drivers are notorious for not calling out the bad guys. Like my 'friends' at Greenfreight who I passed near Albury - they had a HWP sitting between them travelling in the same direction yet they never warned anyone coming towards them.
Old 22-08-2005, 06:07 PM   #6
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What frequnecies do cops in Aussie use? A CB would be totally useless in NZ, CB frequency is 26MHz (27MHz in Australia I believe) but cops use VHF (~100 - 170 MHz) and UHF (~390 - 470 MHz) radios over here. What exactly is a CB scanner anyway?
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2005, 06:16 PM   #7
BlackLS

Aren't Sydney cops going digital with the possibility of encrypted?
Old 22-08-2005, 07:42 PM   #8
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonEF
Aren't Sydney cops going digital with the possibility of encrypted?
Half of them are already on digital, places like Liverpool, Macquarie Fields etc are still on the old analog system.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2005, 11:06 AM   #9
Aussie Pete

26/27MHz is going the way of the dinosaur. Current AUS CB freqs range around 477MHz. After looking at the hassles I'll just stick with the 3200 and buy a separate scanner.
Old 23-08-2005, 04:48 PM   #10
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are bugger all truckies using UHF CBs over here, all 26MHz. Same with the guys at the port, and pretty much everywhere. UHF CBs are still not common in NZ.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2005, 05:02 PM   #11
Trevor 57
is now there

I have always wondered why people NEED to listen to emergency service radios. Can someone please explain it to me, and BTW I was involved with an emergency service for 13 years and used to get scanner-listeners following us to road accidents - interesting eh?????
Old 24-08-2005, 09:07 PM   #12
SileNceR
02/90 EA II Fairmont

some people can't think of anything to do with their time... I got one for the novelty but rarely use it...
Old 25-08-2005, 03:01 PM   #13
Aussie Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev
I have always wondered why people NEED to listen to emergency service radios. Can someone please explain it to me, and BTW I was involved with an emergency service for 13 years and used to get scanner-listeners following us to road accidents - interesting eh?????
That's because you stick to the rules over there Trev... LOL I push the boundaries because at 3 or 4 in the morning my biggest threat is falling asleep on the Hume Hwy in Vic. hence, push it up a bit on the scales and arrive safer and alert.

On 27MHz (AM Band) I believe this spectrum will be shutdown for CB in the future. I don't use it anymore because there's stuff all traffic on it anymore anyhow. Should sell the GME 27MHz now I think of it....
Old 25-08-2005, 07:50 PM   #14
Bobman
Regulator

What life do you live if you don't go check out action from time to time?
Humans are naturally curious about what's happening in their town and if something big happens obviously you want to have a look, unless your a boring sod...

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2005, 09:57 AM   #15
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Pete
That's because you stick to the rules over there Trev... LOL I push the boundaries because at 3 or 4 in the morning my biggest threat is falling asleep on the Hume Hwy in Vic. hence, push it up a bit on the scales and arrive safer and alert.
Been there, done that
Quote:

On 27MHz (AM Band) I believe this spectrum will be shutdown for CB in the future. I don't use it anymore because there's stuff all traffic on it anymore anyhow. Should sell the GME 27MHz now I think of it....
I hope they don't shut it down, I have a 27mHz Unit with Upper & Lower sideband I still use, and reckon is the best in Outback Aussie, but I have to admit the technology is a bit ancient now, what with Sat Phones, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked
What life do you live if you don't go check out action from time to time?
Humans are naturally curious about what's happening in their town and if something big happens obviously you want to have a look, unless your a boring sod...
Call me a boring sod, been there, done that
Old 26-08-2005, 03:47 PM   #16
ShallowCrossing
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Pete
decided to step up and get a CB that is programmable to also get Police channels. Anyone have a listing of channels based on the Hume Hwy, particularly in Vic? A list of chennel versus location would be great.
My understanding is the country cops are already using the digital SMR network and their city counterparts will be doing the same thing prior to the 2006 Commonwealth Games. Scanners don't pick up digital freq's as far as I'm aware. out:
ShallowCrossing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2005, 09:43 PM   #17
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev

It's good when all you can find on FM is ad's and nova...

-Stu
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2005, 10:32 PM   #18
irsa76
Snoopping

There are times when you need to know that the highway is closed and will be for hours due to a fatal and you can't get anything on the radio. Likewise I should get a scanner in the work van so I can avoid security incidents at parliament and embassies. A lockdown can really stuff your day if you're a courier, thankfully I'm fulltime not subbie.
irsa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2005, 10:47 AM   #19
FPV GT
I Like To Shake It

The majority of Sydney Local Area Commands (LAC) have gone digital. Some areas are using an analogue link and can be still heard.
Digital scanners are available, no retail sale in Aus yet, they can be imported, and work fine here.

Why The Need For A Scanner ???????
Imagine this scenario, you are driving somewhere, an important meeting, a job interview, even a hot date. You are on a road / freeway that has very few exits or in section of road that has no crossovers. There is an accident etc up ahead, and you get caught in the middle. Its possible that you may be delayed for a period of time.
I have had scanners for nearly 20 years, and "touch wood" have driven around every accident that has occured up ahead of me. On one occasion a colleague was following me and got caught up for three hours.
I am also a firefighter and it is good to know when the crew is slaving away.

Regards
Paul

2016 S550 TY GT Coupe....some loud bits and some glass bits

I like My GT SHAKEN, and Blown
Happiness is a TY S550, a 1911 semi automatic, and the Lovey Lizzie by my side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely Lizzie
whilst looking at man riding a pee wee 50
"That sure does nothing for his masculinity"
FPV GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2005, 08:08 PM   #20
Black S

I've got NSW channels
Black S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2005, 08:13 PM   #21
Black S

http://au.geocities.com/melbournemetroscan/police1.html