Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-08-2005, 03:56 AM   #1
Biggoggs
Rider on the storm

Default Sedan vs wagon dynamics

Hey guys, I've been trying to decide how the wagons perform dynamically in comparison to their sedan counterparts. Despite being 20cm longer, 45cm higher, and have ~22cm longer wheelbase, they're only 90kg heavier, the same as having a chunky passenger. Psychologically, a wagon would feel much bigger and heavier as a sedan is more an enclosed space, and the rear leaf wouldn't be as independant as a coil, but aside from that I can't see any major differences in performance.

I don't see how they're apparently 40cm thinner in width though. According to the stats I'm going on, it has the same interior room (although more front & back headroom), must be something with the bodywork.

Biggoggs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 09:23 AM   #2
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you should look at the stats that this site has, the figures your quoting are miles out. There's never been more that 100mm difference between the sedan and wagon's wheelbase, the height is only a few cm apart.

Having owned an EF sedan and wagon at the same time I can say that the wagon was sloppy compared to the sedan. It was all over the place at the rear. But now owning an AUII fairmont wagon with the tickford suspension and 17" wheels and driving AU Wagons and Sedans in back to back track comparisons I'd say that the wagon was at least as good as the watt's link rear of most AU sedans. I'm not comparing the Independant Rear End's on the AU XR's, Ghia (and the BA's) as I've only ever driven one of those many years ago.
aquahead2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 11:17 AM   #3
neb
hibernating

I don't think they handle as good at the sedans do. But i've got superlow springs and gt gas shockers in mine riding on 16inch rims with good tyres and i'm really happy with how it handles. I can fly into corners without worry... !

Just the next thing I want to do suspension wise is get a camber kit in it since my camber can't be adjusted enough. And also upgrading sway bars.. I've got an svo 28mm swaybar to go in the front... and I think I might buy a rear one from whiteline.
neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 03:37 PM   #4
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggoggs
I don't see how they're apparently 40cm thinner in width though. According to the stats I'm going on, it has the same interior room (although more front & back headroom), must be something with the bodywork.
Width and height figures for the wagon are reversed, width is the same and height is 84mm higher
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 05:58 PM   #5
RUQ1KA
Formerly mad_ed_wagon

my wagon compared to my ghia is miles away, the back flies around like nothing and it handles like a boat around corners, where as the ghia (on ef springs) is much more ighter around corners and tends to rock less

Build thread coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerCordia
I had two cordias but recently i sold one of them so that leaves me with one cordia which i have now but i wouldve had two if i havent sold the other one.
RUQ1KA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 06:02 PM   #6
niko
likes falcon's

stock suspension sux regardless, it is a super comfy ride, i must admit, but u feel like your goign to tip over 1st corner, even going at reasonable speeds.

my sedans lowered has good shox and superlows, handles supurbly

ive also noticed, wenever i have driven behind neb, that theres noticable amounts of body roll, but it still nice compared to stoko's
Old 31-08-2005, 10:48 PM   #7
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

The suspension on the Falcon wagon has always been second place (at least) to the sedan version, the BA is a lot tighter. The EA's to EL always seemed to have that body roll, you just had to take corners a bit slower!

Aftermarket alterations could only make the world of difference on a wagon!
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 11:35 PM   #8
MRJUCY
Fordless

A wagon by design has less torsional stiffness which would effect handling even if they did have the same suspension layout they'd also have a higher center of gravity over the rear
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2005, 02:25 PM   #9
Biggoggs
Rider on the storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Just the next thing I want to do suspension wise is get a camber kit in it since my camber can't be adjusted enough. And also upgrading sway bars.. I've got an svo 28mm swaybar to go in the front... and I think I might buy a rear one from whiteline.
I don't seem to get a huge amount of sway on mine- it's lower and harder than stock but still on the stock S-pack 15's (contemplating 16s, but the snowflakes look good, until I have to clean them). Instead of more camber, couldn't you use the sway bars and stiffen it, perhaps add some bigger wheels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquahead2001
Width and height figures for the wagon are reversed, width is the same and height is 84mm higher
Ah, thanks for pointing that out. I guess the few cm of extra headroom at the back has to go somewhere. While on the same topic, it seems the wagons have 5 1/2cm more rear headroom than their Fairlane counterparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny
The suspension on the Falcon wagon has always been second place (at least) to the sedan version, the BA is a lot tighter. The EA's to EL always seemed to have that body roll, you just had to take corners a bit slower!
I guess you have to make some sacrifices for utility, but I wouldn't think it was a great deal. My EA wgn corners better than my ol man's EF2 fmt wgn, but his cruises smoother. Would it be possible a wagon with better suspension would out-corner a sedan with stock suspension?
Biggoggs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2005, 02:44 PM   #10
neb
hibernating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggoggs
Would it be possible a wagon with better suspension would out-corner a sedan with stock suspension?
Yeah I'm sure my wagon handles better than a sedan with stock suspension. It does have a bit of body roll but nothing major, I'm thinking a rear swaybar will help heaps with the body roll I want to get one in pretty soon.
neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post