Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 24-10-2005, 07:37 PM   #1
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

Default 1993 TX5 Ghia

Hey guys
A friend of mine is looking at buying a 1993 TX5 Telstar Ghia and I was wondering what the pro's and cons of this car are.

Its a 2.5L V6 5 speed manual with low k's

Any comments would be greatly appreciated

Old 04-11-2005, 04:21 PM   #2
catloverpang
92 AX Telstar TX5 V6

Cool

It's a good lovely car.

If you are driving enthusiasts, would suggest upgrade the suspension which I am planning at the moment

Engine is good .. although not having ultimate power, but strong enough for our normal road use ... Although the engine is powerful, it runs very quiet, which is quite special.

I heard someone says the car consume quite a lot of petrol, but for me, it's about 9.6L/100km on highway, and 11 L/100km in city driving. I would recommend using Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 fully synthetic engine oil, which really helps to improve the engine performance and fuel economy.

A weak point may be its suspension. It's a bit too soft for me, so it rolls quite a bit in the corners, and that's why I suggest upgrading the suspension. I am still planning for it, and comparing the price though ................

Cheers
Bryan
catloverpang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2005, 04:27 PM   #3
AUII_Forte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a 92 TX5 Ghia and it was a great car. Had 260000k's on it and still ran like clockwork. They have plenty of stick for a 2.5L!! Mine beat stock 5L commodores comfortably.

The main downside is the cost of parts. A set of leads cost me $180 trade price from Repco. Don't even think about going genuine for anything!

Pacemaker 4490 Extractors
2.5" Exhaust
High Flow Cat
SS Inductions "Growler" CAI
Underdrive Pulley
Mal Wood H/D Clutch
Custom Tune
18" XHP Sabre's
12" Kicker Sub
169.2 rwkw
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2005, 05:14 PM   #4
catloverpang
92 AX Telstar TX5 V6

Cool Fog Light

Hey AUII Forte,
Do you know what type of bulb we used for the fog light (92 TX5 2.5 V6)?

After a drive to Blue Mountain, one of the fog light is damaged, can I just replace the glass cover without the whole set? I am thinking to change a brighter bulb as well .... I am not sure, but thinking it's H3 12V 55W .....

Any good after market fog light recommend? Like Helia, Bosch, etc .... Want one with white light ....

By the way, your car has run some 260,000 KM, which engine oil are you running?

Cheers

Bryan
catloverpang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2006, 11:11 PM   #5
Philaddis

Be very wary of these V6's now unless they have a very thorough service history, especially regular coolant changes.

The all alloy heads on them are very prone to corrosion and without the proper service attention and the fixit job is very very expensive due to the layout of the motor and intake and the scarcity and expense of parts.

The auto gearboxes are prone to failure (shouldn't be a problem for your mate if he buys a manual) and again, the fixit is super expensive.

A few people I know have had big dramas with seemingly great examples of these cars and have almost spent more than the purchase price on maintenance.

Check out the parts prices ie leads, water pump, radiators etc for an indicator of the potential costs.
Sprint 16's
Ghia Interior
AUIII XR8 Windsor
T-56 6 sp
3.7:1's
258.6 rwhp
Philaddis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post