Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 25-04-2015, 04:29 PM   #61
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: My FGX XR8 denied warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempy311 View Post
The car was denied warranty on the supercharger based solely on that it had been down the drag strip and this then therefore adds to my character and manor of my driving. Even thou it is unrelated as this was month and months ago.
I assumed it had let go when at the drags and thought fair enough...didn't know it was 6000 odd km and several months later.

So they are saying the drag racing didn't cause it but the fact that you took it to the drags means you are hard on the equipment? Steer clear of GT-F 017 as you would assume no warranty given the seller's character and manner of driving...I hear he used to be in to motorsport. In fact, I am surprised they gifted that car to someone who Ford can only assume is going to mis-treat it (that is Ford's assumption, not mine)

Last edited by Iggle Piggle; 25-04-2015 at 04:37 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old 25-04-2015, 04:30 PM   #62
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlivverFord View Post
Well imo if Ford took a stock one down the 1/4 mile strip, it could well be considered normal usage if the public does it!
IF it's stock WITH NO mods.
Old 25-04-2015, 04:33 PM   #63
BIONIC MAN
Two turning.. two burning

If I understand what you said, the car has done over 6000km since you took it to the drags and allegedly caused all this damage to it?!
If it broke while at the track, or soon after... Or it was a driveline related failure you would be have a harder job proving your case.
But seriously, how can it have ANY effect on the supercharger by driving down a drag strip, the charger just spins, it has no more load on it than any full throttle use on the road, and it's top speed of rotation is limited by the tune and engine rpm limiter, which has not been touched. Blower didn't know you were on a track?!?
This is bull. Don't give up on this mate ,I think there is a lot in your favour... But you are up against Ford.
As for running in, he followed the break in period as specified by FPV and I guess now Ford. He had double the kms on it when he went to the drags.
Hell, mine only had 700km on it when I went to powercruise!

BLOWN, 2013 FPV GS UTE
TURBO TERRITORY GHIA
545ci XB GS UTE
Daily, 2006 F250 crew cab
BA2 Fairmont Ghia
Old 25-04-2015, 04:53 PM   #64
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
FORD "Go Further"

I would have thought further than 8000kms....
Holden 'Go Better', Ford 'Go Further'.. Ford Post 2016 'Go Home'
Old 25-04-2015, 05:03 PM   #65
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned View Post
Sell it and buy a GTS! Sorry I had to say it!
Interesting comment, considering this poster is on his second VF because of problems with the first.

Sorry, I had to say it
Old 25-04-2015, 05:06 PM   #66
Spurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 Concorde View Post
This would be good evidence in Court.
I would agree. I read every word & watched the clips.
I would advice you, Kempy351, to download a copy of those videos if you havn't already.

My only question after watching the clips is directed to forum members Falcon Coupe & Flappist.
My question is, how many kilometres had the gold FGX XR8 done when you first jumped in at the beginning of the media launch?...

...'cause you promptly tramped it on the motorkhana course!
Old 25-04-2015, 05:18 PM   #67
Warrenk

Now you were at a test and tune day ( that is what they are called isn't it), why would Ford tell you were at a motorsport event. Test "N" Tune is an event where like minded people get together and this case a drag strip, to test and tune if needed. They also carry out advanced driving courses at drag strips and race tracks. Are advanced driving course then classed as motorsport?

As has been said before, go talk to a solicitor and don't use the words motorsport or drags in any of you conversions.

Warren
Old 25-04-2015, 05:22 PM   #68
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What does it matter what Ford does with its press cars. It's their car and they can do what they please with it as they pay to fix it. look at it from Fords perspective. They have a car that has been to the drags and now it's broken And wants a warranty claim. as if that doesn't look suss...!
2 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2015, 05:23 PM   #69
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
I would agree. I read every word & watched the clips.
I would advice you, Kempy351, to download a copy of those videos if you havn't already.

My only question after watching the clips is directed to forum members Falcon Coupe & Flappist.
My question is, how many kilometres had the gold FGX XR8 done when you first jumped in at the beginning of the media launch?...

...'cause you promptly tramped it on the motorkhana course!
I went back through my cabin pics and they do not show with the ignition off unfortunately. I cannot remember.

I do know the cars were driven hard all day and didn't miss a beat nor show any heat sink effects.
If they were void of warranty afterwards I would have snapped one up for a substantial discount given half a chance.
Old 25-04-2015, 05:24 PM   #70
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah nothing should be taken away from the cars themselves. This does sound like an isolated incident.
Old 25-04-2015, 05:26 PM   #71
Spurious

Furthermore, (via the links to the media launch) the FGX XR8 leaves the factory with 4 pot Brembo brakes, an R-spec suspension & launch control.

I'm pretty certain they're designed for performance purposes!

The vehicle has failed some 4000klm AFTER the track event that Ford claims did the damage...potentially.

What an absolute crock of horse manure. They (ford) have used your "presumed character" ie: "track day hero", to void a warranty.
That's potentially slanderous.

I will hereby presume your character to not be one prone to "hoon" behaviour as you chose to take your vehicle to a sanctioned event that is within the law...as opposed to flogging it through back streets.

The fact that the ford rep' actually produced & has possession of those "warranty voiding" images, proves beyond any reasonable doubt that you are a responsible driver.

You have a hard road ahead Kepmy, but take 'em to the bank mate!
Old 25-04-2015, 05:28 PM   #72
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The vehicle has failed some 4000klm AFTER the track event that Ford claims did the damage...potentially.
I believe it was 6000km after?
2 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2015, 05:31 PM   #73
Spurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe View Post
I went back through my cabin pics and they do not show with the ignition off unfortunately. I cannot remember.

I do know the cars were driven hard all day and didn't miss a beat nor show any heat sink effects.
If they were void of warranty afterwards I would have snapped one up for a substantial discount given half a chance.
If you can, ask around those other drivers who were at the media event. Perhaps one of them will recall an odometer reading.
I seriously doubt they ALL (the cars) would've had more than a few thousand K's on the clock at the time.
Old 25-04-2015, 05:32 PM   #74
Spurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
I believe it was 6000km after?
Yeh' you're right, sorry bout that
Old 25-04-2015, 05:33 PM   #75
Spurious

C'mon, chant with me guys...kempy kempy KEMPY !!!
Old 25-04-2015, 05:41 PM   #76
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's a reason car makers do not warrant cars for motoring events ,
despite some here saying it was designed for it , there's driving them hard, and then there's driving them really really hard beyond what the vehicle is designed for .
Not saying that's the case here, but it does happen and then warranty is expected when something breaks .
Old 25-04-2015, 05:44 PM   #77
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can the OP confirm Ford's argument is not that the damage was a result of that day at the drags, rather their stance is that day at the drags proves you mis-treat vehicles and as such they will not honour the warranty?

If that is the case then does that mean if the OP also had say a Mondeo for a daily drive then they would not honour warranty on that either based on how he drives his XR8?

And for how long after that day at the drags will the OP be blacklisted with Ford? If he goes and buys another XR8 later this year will they honour warranty on that?

For how long after going to the drags is it presumed you have an unsatisfactory driving manner?

Wouldn't be wise to put their hand up right now but how many members here would fall into this 'not-covered' classification? How many are pulling photos and PM'ing mods to delete ETs etc
7 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2015, 05:47 PM   #78
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I'm with Iggy, what exactly did they say was the problem? Have you received something in writing?

To not warrant car car based on what someone might do is not right...nor does it sound anywhere near legal. Where is the proof? Ford do worse to these cars, the press burn rubber with them half the time which would be worse for the car than a couple of drag runs....

have we got the full story?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 25-04-2015, 05:49 PM   #79
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
Can the OP confirm Ford's argument is not that the damage was a result of that day at the drags, rather their stance is that day at the drags proves you mis-treat vehicles and as such they will not honour the warranty?

If that is the case then does that mean if the OP also had say a Mondeo for a daily drive then they would not honour warranty on that either based on how he drives his XR8?

And for how long after that day at the drags will the OP be blacklisted with Ford? If he goes and buys another XR8 later this year will they honour warranty on that?

For how long after going to the drags is it presumed you have an unsatisfactory driving manner?

Wouldn't be wise to put their hand up right now but how many members here would fall into this 'not-covered' classification? How many are pulling photos and PM'ing mods to delete ETs etc
Mods to ECU enough said.
Old 25-04-2015, 05:56 PM   #80
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8 View Post
Mods to ECU enough said.
Provide proof of said mods.
4 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2015, 06:03 PM   #81
JG33

I feel for the OP but this is a hard lesson to learn, once you make mods on a car with new car warranty you're playing with fire. Ford can even void your warranty completely especially mods to the ECU. I would get advice from ACCC and see where you stand, even better, a lawyer if you can afford one but it ain't looking good.

Unless you don't care about voiding the warranty, mods should be done after it expires.

Last edited by JG33; 25-04-2015 at 06:22 PM.
Old 25-04-2015, 06:05 PM   #82
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeah I thought he said it wasn't tuned.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
3 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2015, 06:06 PM   #83
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenk View Post
Now you were at a test and tune day ( that is what they are called isn't it), why would Ford tell you were at a motorsport event. Test "N" Tune is an event where like minded people get together and this case a drag strip, to test and tune if needed. They also carry out advanced driving courses at drag strips and race tracks. Are advanced driving course then classed as motorsport?

As has been said before, go talk to a solicitor and don't use the words motorsport or drags in any of you conversions.

Warren
This is bad advice. You always disclose the full facts to your lawyers, and it is up to them to weigh up the facts as against the law. Trying to hide things from your lawyer always ends up badly. No point- the dealer/Ford will raise those facts.

Barra says ecu tune done. You appear to say no tune. Same applies to this critical issue.

If that was the case and the dealer/ford have proof of ecu tune, no point putting head in sand and pretending did not happen. Engage with that reality if it is factually the truth.

If a tune was done, I think you will have problems pursuing Ford under the manufacturers warranty, and I do not thing the federal/statutory warranties will engage.

Anyway, as has been said, if you mod engine, and have fun, expect to self warranty.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
2 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2015, 06:07 PM   #84
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Provide proof of said mods.
I believe he is a employee of Ford Au?
2 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2015, 06:07 PM   #85
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

As far as we know he claims it wasn't tuned.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2015, 06:10 PM   #86
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its all pretty confusing though as Ford gave him that manner and behaviour reason and produced photos from this forum of an event that happened 6000km earlier.
Old 25-04-2015, 06:20 PM   #87
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Going back to the OP he says quite clearly the only mod was an air filter - NO TUNE!
Old 25-04-2015, 06:22 PM   #88
BIONIC MAN
Two turning.. two burning

What if Ford gets photos of how I treat my OTHER cars!?! Ooohhh nooo.
Will I be asked to to sign a disclaimer upon purchase of any new car that my warranty is void based on this? (Mods please delete avitar )

All these people saying it was modified or tuned, please read the whole thread... Or tell us where your getting your info from.

BLOWN, 2013 FPV GS UTE
TURBO TERRITORY GHIA
545ci XB GS UTE
Daily, 2006 F250 crew cab
BA2 Fairmont Ghia
2 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2015, 06:36 PM   #89
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
there's driving them hard, and then there's driving them really really hard beyond what the vehicle is designed for . .
so i can flog the guts out of my Ford, and still get warranty so long as i don't hit the drag strip? I'm sure that's what happens for most Mondeos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT
You're behind the times....the people of Australia have already voted with their wallets and the falcon is already dead.
It's not the Falcon Motor Company. there's still Focus groups and Fiesta siestas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes
If it’s an expensive fix it may pay to speak to a consumer law specialist.
which will be more expensive, lawyers or replacement parts?

Quote:
... the part failed due to your negligence and using the vehicle for a purpose it’s not fit for and not due to a manufacturing fault.
if it doesn't specifically say 'motorsport', i'd still expect them to honor the warranty.
Old 25-04-2015, 06:36 PM   #90
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
As far as we know he claims it wasn't tuned.
Well, Barra says ECU tuned.

Therefore, Ford and dealer will have to prove tune, and if they have the computer files showing the tune in admissible form, it will be proved.

As I said, no point trying to be non candid- and hiding facts. Disclose all facts and engage.

The Ford warranty exclusions for modifications is pretty clear and wide, and would exclude a tune.

Likewise, the statutory warranties of fit for purpose will likely not apply as the car with tune is not what was produced and sold by Ford.

So- if there was no tune, I feel sorry for the user and the dealer should make good.

If a tune, engage with facts, be honest, suck it up and move your mods forward and self warrant.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
Closed Thread