Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #61
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Gen F HSV GTS Review, 0-100 in 4.4s

it doesn't surprise me and confirms what I had been saying all along too all the people that said the GT-R spec would have no chance against this thing in a straight line. its probably pumping about the same as the GT-R spec at the wheels. I did say if this thing is faster it would be by much as HSV and holden seem too lose a lot of power via driveline.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #62
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotGT View Post
I love reading opinions via this forum... it is actually quite humorous...

If that clunker had a Ford badge on it - the majority would be beating their chest about a 'sub 4.5s 0-100km/h' time...

Anyways, keep it up... it sure makes my friday arvo
To be fair my old Falcon GT was bloody quick at getting to the service department. I'd barely have driven it out of there and it was back in. ;)
Old 02-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #63
f6 boss

Going by the zl1 is the states, they trap 113 to 116 mph down the quarter. I'm not expecting hsv to be quicker.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #64
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6 boss View Post
Going by the zl1 is the states, they trap 113 to 116 mph down the quarter. I'm not expecting hsv to be quicker.
judging by tour sig, that's not bad for a showroom with warranty.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #65
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
I think people get too wrapped up in the straight line sprint. HSV have gone to the effort of making the GTS about much more than the age old "mine is two tenths quicker than yours" mentality that plagues Aussie car culture. It could have the 6.2 NA in it and I would still want one. My XR6T has only ever cracked 12s, but I enjoy it for all the suspension work I've done to it which has made it a great driver's car. Blasting through the mountains in a well set up package is about as much fun as you can have in a car. HSV is offering this experience straight out of the showroom, yet so many people are only looking at what it can do in a straight line. That's like buying a powerful computer just to play Hearts.

Recognising how good the GTS package is doesn't make you a Ford traitor, it just means you're a car enthusiast. As much as I'm attracted to the GTS, you could just as easily buy a 65 kay GT, spend $10k on springs/shocks/bushes/bars, wider rear wheels, good rubber and still be ahead of the GTS from a value standpoint. It's just impressive that HSV seems to have done it straight out of the box, with the addition of all the cooling which if you've ever pushed hard, you know the car needs around a circuit (or an extended mountain road), plus the torque vectoring which I'm yet to try but it sounds awesome.
Well said mate.

Personally, i like the GTS. Look likes a good all round package, has heaps of power/torque and from the limited reviews handles well too. Hasn't this been one of the complaints from many about Holden/Ford for years on end.

HSV have finally brought out what looks to be a fantastic overall package, and it's still not enough for some people.

People can compare the cars to each other, or even euro's all they like, but realistically the people who can afford them won't really give a rats. I doubt some one wanting a C63 will care if the GTS is a little quicker.

Anyway, it makes my decision a tough one next year... Tempted to go a low km GT, throw a tune, exhaust, injectors and intercooler at it plus some nice coilovers and have a great package.

On the other hand, i could pay 20-30k more and have a very nice overall package from the factory.

Lets not forget that the GTS also comes with a heap of tech. Some of it might be a bit of a w*nk, but none the less, it's there.

I'm really looking forward to when these are available and a few of the owners take them to the track and start tinkering with them.

I really hope that FPV produce one last GT next year, with an upgraded interior and similar tech to the GTS... Not holding my breath though!
2 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #66
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why do people have such an obsession with 0-100 times when in reality its mostly dependant on traction more than anything else.

A true indication of what kind of power a car is putting down is the 1/4mile, and even truer is the trap speed.
Id expect the GTS to hit near 200kmh in the traps on a drag strip.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
3 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #67
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh, the Caddy CTSV, which has the same drivetrain, does 12 flat at 118mph (190kmh)
It also does 0-60mph in 3.9.
And it weighs 100kg heavier than the GTS.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:14 PM   #68
BHDOGS
Banned

I wish they'd release the gts just so I don't have to hear about it anymore
3 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2013, 10:34 PM   #69
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

I'm impressed by the 0-100 time but I'm looking past that. I read the article as though I am in the market. I've got a 335 and love it. It's tuned, has Tein suspension with EDFC, ive put 20" wheels on it with better and wider tyres. ive fitted extractors, cats and exhaust and near $15k worth of stereo. I'm going to intercool it, do the injectors, smaller blower pulley, maybe the snout, upgrade the trans to handle the power, overhaul the diff to handle the extra power, tailshaft and I'm going to put a set of Harrop ultimate brakes on it.

Yes. My 335 will probably owe me $100k+ when I'm done.

You read all the things HSV have done with this car, down to upgraded thicker half shafts, a 9.75" diff centre, the size of the brakes etc. These are all UNIQUE to this particular model of car- not even an option on the others. They have built what appears to be a no compromise performance car.

I'm a Ford man through and through, but I'm not ignorant enough to ignore a fair bloody effort. This thing will be a weapon and honestly I'm impressed. I wouldnt sell anything I have to have one in its place, but I tip my hat to HSV.

If this was Ford or fpv with exactly the same car we'd be singing like it was the return of the messiah...

Seriously, we don't have to bag it because its not a Ford. Fpv's GT is responsible for raising the bar for HSV to counter and they've had a fair crack. The GTS is the goods and if Ford hadn't done such a good job the HSV loyalists would have a new GTS with another token 5-10kw for a model change.

This, however, is a significant improvement and is a serious competitor. Ford don't have a car where they've gone to these lengths, despite how good the donor car for THAT car would be if they did...
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
14 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2013, 10:56 PM   #70
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS View Post
I wish they'd release the gts just so I don't have to hear about it anymore
Well I wish FPV/Ford would release the damn HO so I didn't have to hear about THAT anymore...

At least this thing was always going to exist...
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
2 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2013, 10:57 PM   #71
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Which ever way you look at it the HSV is going to be a great car with that amount of power.

2000 posts

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
Old 03-08-2013, 02:09 AM   #72
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
I'd usually count on 18-20% loss through the driveline, so 340-350kW at the treads should be about right.
hmm...you forgot the supercharger parasitic losses...make it 25%+
Old 03-08-2013, 03:36 AM   #73
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

A 6.2 litre and its intercooled pfffft, braging rites have always been about 1/4 mile times and 0 - 100 times, the HSV is undoubtably the best all round car ever built in Australia but I'd rather a W427 myself, but you really have to hand it to FPV, they haven't had the luxury of picking a crate motor from the states like HSV have always done, imagine if they intercooled the Miami ? As it is it gives away 1.2 litres in displacement and doesn't have a IC.
And we haven't even mentioned the F6, both the F6 and GT will be right up there in straight line performance.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #74
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt3te50 View Post
I'm impressed by the 0-100 time but I'm looking past that. I read the article as though I am in the market. I've got a 335 and love it. It's tuned, has Tein suspension with EDFC, ive put 20" wheels on it with better and wider tyres. ive fitted extractors, cats and exhaust and near $15k worth of stereo. I'm going to intercool it, do the injectors, smaller blower pulley, maybe the snout, upgrade the trans to handle the power, overhaul the diff to handle the extra power, tailshaft and I'm going to put a set of Harrop ultimate brakes on it.

Yes. My 335 will probably owe me $100k+ when I'm done.

You read all the things HSV have done with this car, down to upgraded thicker half shafts, a 9.75" diff centre, the size of the brakes etc. These are all UNIQUE to this particular model of car- not even an option on the others. They have built what appears to be a no compromise performance car.

I'm a Ford man through and through, but I'm not ignorant enough to ignore a fair bloody effort. This thing will be a weapon and honestly I'm impressed. I wouldnt sell anything I have to have one in its place, but I tip my hat to HSV.

If this was Ford or fpv with exactly the same car we'd be singing like it was the return of the messiah...

Seriously, we don't have to bag it because its not a Ford. Fpv's GT is responsible for raising the bar for HSV to counter and they've had a fair crack. The GTS is the goods and if Ford hadn't done such a good job the HSV loyalists would have a new GTS with another token 5-10kw for a model change.

This, however, is a significant improvement and is a serious competitor. Ford don't have a car where they've gone to these lengths, despite how good the donor car for THAT car would be if they did...
Well said mate. On top of that, the GTS has a heap of tech, and standard features that aren't on the GT. Hell, even the SSV redline has a lot more standard features and tech than the GT. Does the GT even come with leather has standard these days? If the redline had the LS3 it would be a serious competitor to the GT... Just goes to show how far Holden have pushed things with the VF, they've done an amazing job. It's a real shame that Ford Aus will be shutting down, as i would have loved to see their response with the next bout of GT's, you'd have to assume it would be an absolute cracker.

Having said that, i'm still leaning towards a GT next year, if for no other reason than to keep 30k in my pocket... However, if the GTS was closer to 80k, i don't think i'd be so loyal!

By the time i do the mods i want on the GT (intercooler, tune, suspension, brakes, etc), it will probably owe me 85k, so that makes the GTS a 15k difference, so it's very tempting.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #75
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

It's easy to dwell on the features and gaps of high series cars but in the big picture,
sales of GTS is going to be a rather low percentage of the overall HSV sales, the main
goal for HSV is getting buyers back into entry and mid level Clubsport models,
which is their bread and butter..

I wonder about that and whether Holden's new pricing structure has dragged more would be
HSV buyers into SS-V and in particular the Redline version which is seriously good value
but in saying that, the HSV name carries a lot of prestige with their grass roots supporters...
This user likes this post:
Old 03-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #76
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyxr6t04 View Post
Will be interesting to see the real world figures. But i think 4.4 is pretty good. It's up there with the high end euros, provided it performs that time in the real world.

Considering the GT 335 is much more than 335kw, and probably closer to 400kw, and it does the 0-100 in about 4.9s, i think if the GTS can get to 4.4s in the real world, it'll be a good time.
I thought the R-specs were 4.5sec 0-100km and 12.5 quarters? and with a perceived nearly 100 killers difference an da fair whack off the price?
Old 03-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #77
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
Can you still buy an R Spec new? No... So everyone needs to shut up!

Least HSV actually has a product available that people want. My dealer has been allocated 40 between now and christmas and hes got a deposit on every single one!
Really? So I can go into a hsv dealer and buy a gts today can I? Flawed logic there...

Gts is a unicorn, and until (if) its here then the r spec deserves its place in the sun as Australia's fastest ever.
How dare people on a ford forum want to espouse the qualities of a ford over a yet to be seen Holden...
Old 03-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #78
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dash should just buy a Holden already and be done with it. Sick of seeing him bag out the Fords.
2011 SILHOUETTE FPV GS 315 #0275
20x10", 20x8.5" Lenso D1R's
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
Twin 3" Stainless Manta Catback
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
Final Drive Chromoly Tailshaft
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
BlueStreak Circle D Converter
900+ rwhp thanks to Xtreme Ford Tuning
4 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #79
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Really? So I can go into a hsv dealer and buy a gts today can I?
Yes you can, they are taking orders.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:19 PM   #80
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
why is everyone expecting 0~100 in 4's or 1/4 in 12~11?

for every 100kw will only yield 0.5 off the 1/4 and 0.1 off 0~100 times...
Because HSV were claiming a while ago it was going to run low 4's. They build the expectations, not us.
4 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2013, 10:59 PM   #81
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Yes you can, they are taking orders.
So I can't buy one.... Can only put down a deposit....
How many deposits did Holden take for that 7 litre monaro race car that never eventuated as a production car?

Fact is the same, the current king is the rspec, the gts can't claim that title until the bloody thing is actually here, and been tested by someone other than someone collecting a wage from hsv.
7 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2013, 12:57 AM   #82
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, you've got HSV sussed mate. Call their bluff and put down a deposit on a GTS, cause it will be refunded when GTS never eventuates.
2 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2013, 04:57 AM   #83
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
So I can't buy one.... Can only put down a deposit....
How many deposits did Holden take for that 7 litre monaro race car that never eventuated as a production car?

Fact is the same, the current king is the rspec, the gts can't claim that title until the bloody thing is actually here, and been tested by someone other than someone collecting a wage from hsv.
if you take the time to look at a HSV dealer the GTS 430 is on sale now,
central coast holden actually have a demo one.
there are three black one running around local..
Old 04-08-2013, 08:09 AM   #84
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Those 0-100 and quarter mile time while impressive may not tell the whole story,
you can't keep adding power to the back wheels with out increasing tyre width and grip.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #85
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezxr8man
I thought the R-specs were 4.5sec 0-100km and 12.5 quarters? and with a perceived nearly 100 killers difference an da fair whack off the price?
Yeah, the R-Spec is a good bit of kit. But, if i want to buy new then it's not really in the equation.

Regardless, whilst the GTS is more expensive, it also comes with a lot of 'standard' kit over and above any of the FPV cars. I'm just saying, there's more to the price than wider tyres, and fast times.

Whilst i may never use some of the features of the GTS, and they may seem like a gimmick, they are there none the less.

I can simply appreciate the effort that HSV have made with this car. It wasn't just a matter of dropping in a big crate motor, and charging a huge premium for.

I'm still leaning towards a GT though, 100k is a large chunk of money to give up on a new car... A low km GT or well priced new one with some mods, and then in a few years time i'll hopefully garage it for the kids. Hopefully by then i'll pick up a low km GTS, best of both worlds!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #86
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Look, there is no doubt with all the kit the GTS, it is probably the better car. Massive brakes, coolers, SC 6.2 engine, it has it all without mentioning it's interior kit, BUT.... At the end of the day & with all the hype, SO FAR, it's not the quickest Australian built car! Now I know in 2013 apparently that doesn't matter anymore but can someone remember why the Ph 3 was & still is held in so high reguard.
While I'm not one of the fortunate ones to own a GT rspec, if I did I would be feeling pretty proud right now.......
Old 04-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #87
The Monty
Just slidin'

Pretty sure it will be the quickest, but not the fastest, as this will be speed limited where the GTHOP3 was not.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #88
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
It's easy to dwell on the features and gaps of high series cars but in the big picture,
sales of GTS is going to be a rather low percentage of the overall HSV sales, the main
goal for HSV is getting buyers back into entry and mid level Clubsport models,
which is their bread and butter..

I wonder about that and whether Holden's new pricing structure has dragged more would be
HSV buyers into SS-V and in particular the Redline version which is seriously good value
but in saying that, the HSV name carries a lot of prestige with their grass roots supporters...
As we all know now, Holden's redline SSV has hit the price / equipment / perceived performance jackpot with buyers.
If Iw as a betting man i'd have a large wager that this car will seriously cannibalise Clubsports sales, especially considering the Redline has quite a bit of spec that's stripped out of the considerably more expensive Clubsport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Because HSV were claiming a while ago it was going to run low 4's. They build the expectations, not us.
Exactly...and nobody should be surprised when it doesn't meet HSV's claimed performance times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 18
Look, there is no doubt with all the kit the GTS, it is probably technically the better car, albeit the most ugly pimped Holden Epica we've ever seen. Massive brakes, coolers, SC 6.2 engine, it has it all without mentioning it's interior kit, BUT they charge a bloody fortune for that kit.and... At the end of the day & with all the hype, SO FAR, it's not the quickest Australian built car! Now I know in 2013 apparently that doesn't matter anymore but can someone remember why the Ph 3 was & still is held in so high reguard.
While I'm not one of the fortunate ones to own a GT rspec, if I did I would be feeling pretty proud right now.......
Fixed that for ya. Be proud of what you have mate, SC GT-P with its special sports seats and 6/4 Brembo's is a superb bit of kit and arguably the best all-round FPV ever made . R Spec is a great bit of kit but for normal roads and average use I think the standard FPV suspension kit is a fine ride / handling set-up. Fit some really good rubber like I'm about too and enjoy

Last edited by Rodge; 04-08-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #89
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
As we all know now, Holden's redline SSV has hit the price / equipment / perceived performance jackpot with buyers.
If I was a betting man i'd have a large wager that this car will seriously cannibalise Clubsports sales, especially considering the Redline has quite a bit of spec that's stripped out of the considerably more expensive Clubsport.
Or on the positive side, it draws out buyers wo whould normally consider HSV out of their price range,
could this open up an opportunity for Ford to supply an XR8 with an optional "Track Pack" that
consists of say, existing GT brakes suspension and handling set up, which then enabling a new GT
to have say, GTP interior, Brembos all round std Gt suspension or R-Spec suspension as option?

I think there's great opportunity for Ford to pick and choose which areas it wants to be in
without matching every single Holden or HSV variant......scales of economy and bang for bucks?

Quote:
Exactly...and nobody should be surprised when it doesn't meet HSV's claimed performance times.
It's a top end car that deserves praise whilst recognising the premium price will make it exclusive (limit sales)
Should HSV be focusing more on Clubsport being the bargain of a century than focusing on a showcase vehicle?
Or is this about getting in with a last hurrah.......We'll see..

Quote:
Fixed that for ya. Be proud of what you have mate, SC GT-P with its special sports seats and 6/4 Brembo's is a superb bit of kit and arguably the best all-round FPV ever made . R Spec is a great bit of kit but for normal roads and average use I think the standard FPV suspension kit is a fine ride / handling set-up. Fit some really good rubber like I'm about too and enjoy
It would be almost crazy for Ford not to capitalize of all of that precious FPV development work,
a great opportunity exists to rationalise the delivery of specific basic vehicles that match actual
buyer needs and expectations, I just hope Ford doesn't over think this in terms of return on investment.

Last edited by jpd80; 04-08-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #90
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
It's a top end car that deserves praise whilst recognising the premium price will make it exclusive (limit sales)
Should HSV be focusing more on Clubsport being the bargain of a century than focusing on a showcase vehicle?
Or is this about getting in with a last hurrah.......We'll see..
With wait lists as long as thery are it seems like demand for the GTS has caught the red team napping a bit. This surprises me as I would have thought that given the twilight phase the Australian Motor vehicle industry is so clearly in, they would have anticipated more demand for the top end model as the last hurrah.

I agree that logic suggests Ford will leverage the advantage conferred by bringing FPV ownership in-house. If they can't match the tech and kit in the GTS, (which appears most unlikely seeing as they've got stuff all R & D money), then doing a SC XR8 at a SSV Redline sort of price point is one of their few remaining cards to play. I just hope they don't insult people's intelligence and fit dangerously inadequate Ford "performance" brakes to it.
2 users like this post:
Closed Thread