Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-11-2009, 02:58 PM   #31
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
There was a bit of discussion about this in the following thread:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...=falcon+police

One vote here for Falcon underpinning GRWD, I think it's the best chance it has for survival long term (even if it means a variant being built in the US).
I'm glad you feel that way.

Unrelated to the above quote, does the term "seppo" really need to be used here? I'm good with "Yank" as it has been used by many other countries and doesn't necessarily have the same meaning as it does in Australia, if you've gotta use something derrogatory. I haven't used any defamatory slang when rerferring to Aussies......unless you don't care for Aussie?

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 03:09 PM   #32
samsy351
351XB - Underbelly II Car

"Seppo" is not meant to offend. It actually comes from the term "Septic Tank" , which is rhyming slang for "Yank." Aussies always use rhyming slang. eg: Bag of Fruit = suit,
Dog n Bone = Phone ..etc..
Old 15-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #33
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OhioXB,

You haven't properly made friends with an aussie until you get either called something derogatory (in a nice way) or get a one word nickname. Its just how we are.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 04:15 PM   #34
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The FG Falcon appears not overly suitable as a police vehicle, they are complained about all the time.

The problem is the seating position and doors.

When getting in or out of an FG equipment attached to the belt tends to drag on the pillar and occasionally detaches. I know of one event where an "austrian item" was not clipped and fell out onto the road. Lucky there was only one witness.
The seating position is also a bit unsuitable as cuffs, ext. batons etc. tend to dig into the waist.
The commies/aurions tend to be more favoured as they are easier to to get in and out of and more comfortable.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #35
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The FG Falcon appears not overly suitable as a police vehicle, they are complained about all the time.

The problem is the seating position and doors.

When getting in or out of an FG equipment attached to the belt tends to drag on the pillar and occasionally detaches. I know of one event where an "austrian item" was not clipped and fell out onto the road. Lucky there was only one witness.
The seating position is also a bit unsuitable as cuffs, ext. batons etc. tend to dig into the waist.
The commies/aurions tend to be more favoured as they are easier to to get in and out of and more comfortable.
And the problem with the FG as a HWP Car was the brakes - ford agreed to fit Brembo's for a low price, but still no FG's on the road as HWP as far as I know. Although some branches of police have typhoons (BF and FG) but you wont know its a traffic car until it pings you.........
The problems of seating with appointments and arms will remain regardless.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 05:24 PM   #36
G6ET8U
GTX Turbo & KB Blown

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: ALWAYS goes out of his way to help others in need, never posts rubbish only facts he has learnt the hard way or with success in his personal experiance. Takes the time to aid more junior members and overall is a solid contributor to AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2fairmont
OhioXB,

You haven't properly made friends with an aussie until you get either called something derogatory (in a nice way) or get a one word nickname. Its just how we are.
Couldn't agree more. My Norwegian mate just couldn't get his head around it for years... but he has come around now and gives his own 'Aussie' nicknames for people. It is true that it is the way we are... we shorten stuff. Or make it better it is in no way meant to offend, funnily enough it is meant to endear. It is the Australian way!

SNOW WHITE 2004 BA FPV PURSUIT
2.6L Kenne Bell
Brembos all round
Twin Screw Awesomeness

Supported, serviced and tuned by
BLUEPOWER RACING DEVELOPMENTS

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11354744
G6ET8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 12:09 AM   #37
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
hard to fathom the falcon or commy being "too small".
LWB Commo is perfect for them as it will allow a full criminal cage, while also still allowing full movement of the seat.
Remember a LWB VE has one of the most rear legroom of any production car (excluding the Rolls and the Maybach 6.2)
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 04:23 AM   #38
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPOG6
Couldn't agree more. My Norwegian mate just couldn't get his head around it for years... but he has come around now and gives his own 'Aussie' nicknames for people. It is true that it is the way we are... we shorten stuff. Or make it better it is in no way meant to offend, funnily enough it is meant to endear. It is the Australian way!

I already knew what "seppo" was short for. It's just pretty difficult to find the "endearment" in it. I've often joked around with the term "Yank" and I have no problem with that.

The seat accomodations for the equipment that the officers wear around their waste can easily be fixed by producing a "cop seat" for the car that makes room for the implements that they wear. I don't know what they would do about the pillar issue, unless the next gen Falcon is designed with that concern in mind.

Ford is actively working on a Global Rear Wheel Drive platform. Yes, it was shelved, but it's not shelved anymore.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 16-11-2009, 05:44 AM   #39
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I think if the boxy doors of the Crown Vic are the benchmark for comfort entering and exiting the vehicle, then any modern styled vehicle is going to come up short. Trying to modify an existing design to be more user friendly for the police is only going to be expensive as well.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 09:06 AM   #40
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Unless they use SUV type vehicle ??
Too many different platforms makes production expensive...
Good news about global Rwd !!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 10:00 AM   #41
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who cares if ford OZ has near no oz hwy cops cars in VIC(there are nearly no general use fgs either)? They are too fast!

Plus Ford are at capacity arent they? why would they want to sell at discounts to the govt? Dumb idea.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 12:34 PM   #42
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
Ford is actively working on a Global Rear Wheel Drive platform. Yes, it was shelved, but it's not shelved anymore. Steve
I'm loving the idea of GRWD being actively worked on. Hopefully they come to their senses and use the Falcon as the basis. Not being patriotic, but it is the best large car in the Ford world. Probably the best overall too.

As I said earlier in the thread, no use starting from scratch when they already have something so good. With Kuzak and Mullaly already very familiar with Falcon, hopefully it'll get the nod.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #43
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
I'm loving the idea of GRWD being actively worked on. Hopefully they come to their senses and use the Falcon as the basis. Not being patriotic, but it is the best large car in the Ford world. Probably the best overall too.

As I said earlier in the thread, no use starting from scratch when they already have something so good. With Kuzak and Mullaly already very familiar with Falcon, hopefully it'll get the nod.
right on there

we do have the best large cars in the ford world and i know it would be a great base for the grwd

not necessarily use the actual falcon but the rear wheel tech that we already have

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #44
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
Ford is actively working on a Global Rear Wheel Drive platform. Yes, it was shelved, but it's not shelved anymore.
Steve (or anyone for that matter),

Without giving the Nuke Codes away, do you know what, if any, involvement FoA is having in this?
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 04:27 PM   #45
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOTAXI
..... but still no FG's on the road as HWP as far as I know.
There was an orange XR6T FG at the end on Tom Uglys Bridge with a laser pointed to the southern end of the bridge.

GMH is sending a test Caprice LWB to the US not a Commodore.
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 05:07 PM   #46
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by imugli
Steve (or anyone for that matter),

Without giving the Nuke Codes away, do you know what, if any, involvement FoA is having in this?

*DISCLAIMER*

Any comment on this is purely my own conjecture based on what I have read and researched, heard and been told of which NONE has been specific to any vehicle. However, I have also been told the reasons why they have not said much about this program and I believe their philosophy is sound. Perhaps we will dig up this post in the future.

That being said...

I am unable to comment on that specific request at this time. There would be Nuke Codes involved, and then I would have to kill everyone here......if I am correct.

In an unrelated note, I typed "waste" in my last post when I should have typed "waist". Bummer.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 16-11-2009, 05:22 PM   #47
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

Send them some E series. and some snort kits. Solved.
Old 16-11-2009, 05:35 PM   #48
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

Around the South Carolina area, the Dodge Chargers are rapidly taking over as the police/state troopers car of choice. I had one of a month and can say that inside the size is generous and unlike Falcon where it wraps around the driver the Charger has relatively flat seats and is very wide.
Old 17-11-2009, 07:12 PM   #49
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Holden Caprice US police deal threatened by Ford’s new Taurus

http://www.caradvice.com.au/47973/ho...ds-new-taurus/

Quote:
Holden Caprice US police deal threatened by Ford’s new Taurus

November 17, 2009 by Matt Brogan

Holden’s opportunity to export its Caprice model to police in the US is under threat as Ford’s American division plans a replacement for the popular Crown Victoria.

Chevrolet last month unveiled the Caprice PPV (Police Pursuit Vehicle) and announced that it would aim to sell the long wheel-base Australian as a police-only vehicle from early 2011.

But Ford – who currently builds around 75 per cent of all US police vehicles – is due to showcase its new Police Interceptor in the first quarter of 2010 before its launch at the end of 2011.

Ford’s Crown Victoria successor is widely tipped to be the new Taurus, which is currently the only car it makes with similar dimensions.

Ford claims the Police Interceptor has been under development for 14 months with input from its “police advisory board” and will be built in the US with improvements to fuel efficiency, quality and durability.

The outgoing Crown Victoria is powered by an 186kW/402Nm 4.6-litre V8 and is equipped with fire suppression technology and bullet-proof door panels.

Ford says it sells around 45,000 as police vehicles each year.

The 2010 Taurus SHO with the EcoBoost V6 puts out 272kW and 495Nm and seems the best fit from the current Ford stable.

The Caprice with the 6.0-litre Gen 4 V8 compares relatively closely with 260kW and 517Nm of torque.

With around 70,000 police vehicles sold in the US each year there is still an opportunity for Holden to export close 25,000 Caprices each year.

Both new vehicles will be considered by police departments and emergency services when orders are taken next year.

by Tim Beissmann
Old 17-11-2009, 07:23 PM   #50
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF
$10 on it not being the Falcon.
'QFT'.
Old 18-11-2009, 09:49 AM   #51
irlewy86
Meep Meep

I wouldn't be 100% sure it will be a Taurus either.
Old 18-11-2009, 05:33 PM   #52
systema
Starter Motor

Why not send the BF pressings to US and let them tinker around with that (e.g. conversion to LHD, introduction of an US engine), similar to what Holden did with the VB or VN previously (slightly re-engineered Opel bodyshell and platform with a different drivetrain). This way, FoMoCo can say that it's engineered and produced in US.
systema is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 09:01 PM   #53
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual

Plus Ford are at capacity arent they? why would they want to sell at discounts to the govt? Dumb idea.
Not even close to capacity. Yes they are selling everything they can make ATM but thats only because its set up that way. If they wanted to they could probably double production.

They most they can build a day is around 550 vehicles, currently they are set up to make 270. If demand increase they can reconfigure the line to build more.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2010, 01:35 PM   #54
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/11/d...-taurus-based/

Quote:
DetNews: New Ford Police Interceptor to be Taurus-based
by Jonny Lieberman (RSS feed) on Mar 11th 2010 at 4:56PM

Just a quick note: The Detroit News is reporting that the next Ford Police Interceptor will be based on the same platform as the Taurus. For you platform geeks out there, that's the Ford D3 chassis that underpins everything from the the Lincoln MKS to the Volvo XC90 to the Ford Flex (though the Flex and the Lincoln MKT ride on a lengthened version called D4). Yesterday, we explained that a new Police Interceptor is showing up tomorrow (Friday, March 12) in Las Vegas and that it probably won't be riding on the Panther platform. Regardless, the concept will be unveiled at the Vegas Motor Speedway.

There's still no official word from Ford on the matter, however. However, if the new Interceptor is in fact Taurus-based, that means no rear-wheel drive Falcon in the United States. Which is a definite bummer. Also, while there are all-wheel drive variants of the D3 platform – and we think it's safe to assume that if the new Police Interceptor is D3-based it will be AWD – it lacks frame rails. Has Ford figured out a way to make a unibody car tough enough for police work? We shall see. And if the new PI is a Taurus, will it be based on a modified 365-horsepower SHO? We'd wager yes. Let's just hope they fit some bigger brakes for cop duty, eh?
Old 12-03-2010, 01:40 PM   #55
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

I'll be watching for the announcement tomorrow. I may even receive something in company email before the official announcement.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 12-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #56
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I dunno why FORD US doesnt let Aus turn FG into LHD.. Seriously would it cost that much money to do it?? wouldnt you just flipe components?? The Falcon is probably one of the best Ford cars ever made, just like Territory, but because of Ford US and their arrogance it just gets put in a corner...

If i had a cash cow just sitting there id wanna make use of it!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2010, 03:16 PM   #57
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just my guess work.....

I see a Taurus-based FWD police interceptor with a different body (or at least styling) and name. Stripped down but with beefed up suspension for curb-hopping and powered by the 227kW 3.7Litre V6. There could also possibly some trick 'torque-sensing' diff?

I could also see the possibility of a return of the Mustang SSP (Special Service Pack) for serious high speed work....

.....just my guesses :

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #58
XRFutura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That differs slightly from what Car Advice is saying.

Fords US cop car could underpin next falcon

Quote:
Ford US will next Friday unveil its new, purpose-built Police Interceptor to a select group of law enforcement fleet customers in Las Vegas.
The car’s underpinnings could be the strongest hint yet at Ford’s new global rear-wheel drive platform that may form the framework for the next-generation Australian-built Falcon.

The unveiling, which is not open to members of the media or general public, will showcase the vehicle Ford will use to replace the aging Crown Victoria, due to be superseded next year.

Though little is known about the upcoming vehicle, a report published in the Detroit News said Ford are unlikely to use a version of its new Taurus due to the concerns voiced by law enforcement agencies that the model’s more complex structure, engine technology and monocoque design make it undesirable for police work (believing a body-on-frame design is preferable for the additional strength and lower repair costs required).

The news follows GM’s response to a new Police Patrol Vehicle (PPV) last year when it displayed a Zeta platform-based, Holden-sourced Caprice at the 2009 Los Angeles Motor Show. Wearing a Chevrolet badge, the Caprice was offered with both V6 and V8 engines.

CarAdvice will keep you posted on any news as it comes to hand.
You got to love speculation.

Past Vehicles:
2015 Ford Territory TS MKII - diesel burner
2016 Ford FM Mustang GT - The Dream Car
2007 FPV BF MKII GT - popping the V8 cherry
1997 Ford EL Falcon Futura - 6 cylinders of fury
XRFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2010, 03:38 PM   #59
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

That CarAdvice is complete and utter rubbish, I just posted up on their site the actual article link at Detroit News and it says nothing like what CA are claiming is in the article!!!

This car will probably be a D3/Taurus based car, possibly a LWB (possibly not) but with suspension and brake components of the D3 based Explorer.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #60
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

I've seen pretty good evidence of this being Taurus based and that they have spawned 2 versions of it off Taurus platform so far.

We'll see.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post