Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-01-2020, 09:05 PM   #61
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 
Default Re: V8 ranger raptor

there are a lot of real design issues to make the Bronco RHD. Hopefully a remanufacturer will take on the job like for RAM
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2020, 09:09 PM   #62
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would like to see a slammed 2WD version also using the Raptor Body Shell.
It would look similar to the F150 Concept.

CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2020, 10:22 PM   #63
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
there are a lot of real design issues to make the Bronco RHD. Hopefully a remanufacturer will take on the job like for RAM
Can you elaborate Simon? Isn't it based off the Ranger platform? What would the issues be considering the Ranger is RHD?
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2020, 12:02 AM   #64
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
Can you elaborate Simon? Isn't it based off the Ranger platform? What would the issues be considering the Ranger is RHD?
It is the first vehicle on next gen T6, therefore,
there's a lot of unique structures to the top hat and equipment.

Without RHD preservation, the job of converting to RHD is much harder.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2020, 12:17 AM   #65
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
This is insane but in a good way.
Not so long ago, suggesting Ford would do a V8 Ranger would get you laughed off the boards.
Now we're seriously considering what power level V8 should Ranger have.
Why not:
Ranger Raptor....300kW and 500Nm (F150 V8 cheaper and easier fit than EB V6)
Ranger Raptor R Spec.......Mustang R Spec S/C 5.0 V8...for those terminally addicted.

Honestly, these three engines for Ranger and job done: 2.0 diesel, 3.0 diesel, 5.0 Coyote
Most HP buyers would love the V8 even if it was 300 Kw F150 version, the potential is huge.
All of a sudden the Ford Ranger suddenly meets the criteria for a huge group of people, you've got grey nomads, tradies, the 'outdoorsy' types, family car and then car enthusiasts.

5.0 V8 F150 version would put it on the map.

I wonder why they went to the effort of doing a V8 rather than 2.3L Ecoboost, surely the latter would have been tremendously easier and still satisfied the punters?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-01-2020, 12:23 AM   #66
Whistlr

Quote:
Not so long ago, suggesting Ford would do a V8 Ranger would get you laughed off the boards.
Why not:
Ranger Raptor R Spec.......Mustang R Spec S/C 5.0 V8...for those terminally addicted.

Honestly, these three engines for Ranger and job done: 2.0 diesel, 3.0 diesel, 5.0 Coyote
Most HP buyers would love the V8 even if it was 300 Kw F150 version, the potential is huge.
It's funny how one door closes and another opens

Something makes me think Ford Au are doing this because we're not getting Bronco.

(What would people prefer, a V8 Ranger Raptor, or an Ecoboost Bronco? Too many "bad boys" within the Bankstown region would flock to the former simply because it's loud and looks great)

I too would have laughed if I'm being honest. I didn't think it was possible, because firstly it seemed like everything was dictated by HQ who were like the fun police, and secondly, when they decided to give the Raptor an line 4 I thought it was because the bay wasn't designed to take a V. As it turns out it was just a huge screw up not to offer the Powerstroke 3.0. This is redemption.

But then there's the price. If adding a blower and suspension bits to a Mustang increases the price by $40k...what does a whole engine transplant cost? As great as it may sound the content needs to be reflected in the price.
Whistlr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2020, 12:25 AM   #67
Whistlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
All of a sudden the Ford Ranger suddenly meets the criteria for a huge group of people, you've got grey nomads, tradies, the 'outdoorsy' types, family car and then car enthusiasts.

5.0 V8 F150 version would put it on the map.

I wonder why they went to the effort of doing a V8 rather than 2.3L Ecoboost, surely the latter would have been tremendously easier and still satisfied the punters?
Because I suspect someone at Ford here has finally worked out what men want.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:18 AM   #68
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistlr View Post
It's funny how one door closes and another opens

Something makes me think Ford Au are doing this because we're not getting Bronco.

(What would people prefer, a V8 Ranger Raptor, or an Ecoboost Bronco? Too many "bad boys" within the Bankstown region would flock to the former simply because it's loud and looks great)

I too would have laughed if I'm being honest. I didn't think it was possible, because firstly it seemed like everything was dictated by HQ who were like the fun police, and secondly, when they decided to give the Raptor an line 4 I thought it was because the bay wasn't designed to take a V. As it turns out it was just a huge screw up not to offer the Powerstroke 3.0. This is redemption.

But then there's the price. If adding a blower and suspension bits to a Mustang increases the price by $40k...what does a whole engine transplant cost? As great as it may sound the content needs to be reflected in the price.
Makes me wonder if there's been a bit of "engineering help" to make a project like this more cost effective - thinking easier removal of bash bar and Radiator support panels, could that be designed as a big module that can can be removed "quickly"?

Also, could access to Ford's virtual crash protection software make this a more "sanctioned" project capable of meeting a lot of Ford's internal quality and reliability standards...

This V8 project would be great to add across both Ranger and Everest, I'm sure that the idea of a V8 Ford anything gets necks turning around....
Old 04-01-2020, 11:19 AM   #69
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is excellent, a V8 Raptor. It will certainly have appeal.
It's probably the most cost effective way of doing it too, having a secondary operation modify them. If you recall, this is how Tickford modified their Falcons in the 1990s.

Now, a base, detuned V8 in the Everest...

And with the smaller, lighter and more compact 7.3L block, fun times ahead. For now the Coyote with the big DOHC heads is fine, whatever you can do to get a V8 in it!
Old 04-01-2020, 11:24 AM   #70
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think they always knew but hands were tied by what parts sets were available.
The V8 adds the sizzle that was missing.....cha ching.

If T6 Bronco is completely ruled out now, perhaps clarity of purpose takes over
and the locals get to decide what's needed to really put the polish on local sales.

The changeover to do this is gonna be a lot less hours than converting a Camaro
or Ram Truck, so if a Ford sponsored project, maybe engine exchange is the ticket
so Ford gets this at a price that really takes it to the market.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:12 PM   #71
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
If this V8 Raptor becomes a reality, you would think it'd go straight into the Superutes category, then Holden would have to jump on the band wagon with Colorado to keep up, and then we'd have a real "market relevant" Red v Blue contest again that fans can get excited about. That in turn would lead to sales for both brands as well as making the Superutes instantly watchable and popular again. That in turn might take the pressure off Supercars to stay as market relevant without sacrificing the spectacle that is Supercars. As long as the Superutes and Supercars ran hand in hand I recon it would be a win win for everyone.

Can you imagine most of, if not all, the Supercar teams running a Superute program as well.... oh, the possibilities..
Holden aren’t doing anything but trying to get by. No special projects, and they are stuck with whatever gm give them. Ford Australia has the luxury of a fully functioning r&d division to do projects they see fit. Forget Holden, they are done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Quite honestly, it doesn't.
What they're talking about is a single business cost centre, there's talk that
the yanks will take back Ranger after this next product cycle which I hope
is wayyy off in the future.

Man there's no way you can design common frame parts for an F150 and Ranger
not unless the size gap between the two is narrowed considerably.
I have similar thoughts. Just can’t see how it’s possible to merge platforms for vehicles so disparate in size, weight and strength. If it was only ranger and f150 then maybe. But when you move to f250 and beyond they are considerably bigger and heavier duty. Without even mentioning the superdutys and the class 5 and 6 trucks.

I can see component sharing but not complete platforms. It’s just not realistic imo.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2020, 01:00 PM   #72
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Holden aren’t doing anything but trying to get by. No special projects, and they are stuck with whatever gm give them. Ford Australia has the luxury of a fully functioning r&d division to do projects they see fit. Forget Holden, they are done.
Something tells me that this won't be allowed to drift along indefinitely,
GM is all or nothing, they'll either close Holden or spend a bomb saving it.

Quote:
I have similar thoughts. Just can’t see how it’s possible to merge platforms for vehicles so disparate in size, weight and strength. If it was only ranger and f150 then maybe. But when you move to f250 and beyond they are considerably bigger and heavier duty. Without even mentioning the superdutys and the class 5 and 6 trucks.

I can see component sharing but not complete platforms. It’s just not realistic imo.
You may as well refer to architecture as a business cost centre or parts list
and forget the idea of stand alone platform projects - they'll still be specific
to the vehicle but done under the one shop/home room.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:14 PM   #73
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Something tells me that this won't be allowed to drift along indefinitely,
GM is all or nothing, they'll either close Holden or spend a bomb saving it.

GM were ruthless in cutting and running from markets much, much bigger than australia.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2020, 01:16 PM   #74
henry351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
There was a guy in queensland i think it was, that built his own coyote ranger a couple of years ago. From what i recall he said it took very little work to make it fit. The biggest issue he had was getting the electronics to work in tandem with the rangers. But the engine fit like a glove.
This looks like the one your talking about and it does look like a neat conversion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6Uuvj_Uz9o
Old 04-01-2020, 01:51 PM   #75
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is also being reported in some of the American Auto News Sites and is raising some eyebrows and want.
Finally we have a 'One Ford' for us and none for you. See how you likes them apples.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2020, 03:25 PM   #76
Whistlr

Quote:
I think they always knew but hands were tied by what parts sets were available.
The V8 adds the sizzle that was missing.....cha ching.

If T6 Bronco is completely ruled out now, perhaps clarity of purpose takes over
and the locals get to decide what's needed to really put the polish on local sales.

The changeover to do this is gonna be a lot less hours than converting a Camaro
or Ram Truck, so if a Ford sponsored project, maybe engine exchange is the ticket
so Ford gets this at a price that really takes it to the market.
I sure hope so. There's only so much people will pay for a "tarted up" Ranger because over $100k you're getting into the snob market. Don't get me wrong. All who've driven the 2 litre marvel about its manners on and off the road, and a V8 would be the icing in the cake - probably worth every penny if we are to size it up to the competition. Not that there are competitors with such chassis tuning.

I'm not sure about hands tied because of parts. Maybe I don't know what you mean by that but the Coyote has been around for quite a while. I think perhaps they were, and still are tied back from having a V8 in it as a full production/factory vehicle. The 2nd tier tie-up is still in some respects an aftermarket job. My comment regarding them finally understanding what people want is because they didn't pencil this in from the design stage.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:26 PM   #77
Whistlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
This is also being reported in some of the American Auto News Sites and is raising some eyebrows and want.
Finally we have a 'One Ford' for us and none for you. See how you likes them apples.
Haha they've turned green. In envy, not as in eco green.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:32 PM   #78
Whistlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
This is excellent, a V8 Raptor. It will certainly have appeal.
It's probably the most cost effective way of doing it too, having a secondary operation modify them. If you recall, this is how Tickford modified their Falcons in the 1990s.

Now, a base, detuned V8 in the Everest...

And with the smaller, lighter and more compact 7.3L block, fun times ahead. For now the Coyote with the big DOHC heads is fine, whatever you can do to get a V8 in it!
I love that Godzilla V8. The bore centres on that are mammoth. Serious potential with that engine. Imagine having that in a Ranger LOL. I don't like the chances.
It's cast iron so are you sure its lighter though?
Old 04-01-2020, 03:51 PM   #79
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Exactly. Ford have learnt not to listen to the inner city Melbourne soy latte sipping Green and ALP supporter.

I hope it comes optioned with a rifle rack in the front.
4 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2020, 05:36 PM   #80
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I sure hope so. There's only so much people will pay for a "tarted up" Ranger because over $100k you're getting into the snob market. Don't get me wrong. All who've driven the 2 litre marvel about its manners on and off the road, and a V8 would be the icing in the cake - probably worth every penny if we are to size it up to the competition. Not that there are competitors with such chassis tuning.
The V8 Colorado was something like a $44K added charge,
so a V8 Ranger Raptor should be around $100K if priced keenly.
Ford could then offer a Supercharger and ask a ton more.....

Quote:
I'm not sure about hands tied because of parts. Maybe I don't know what you mean by that but the Coyote has been around for quite a while. I think perhaps they were, and still are tied back from having a V8 in it as a full production/factory vehicle. The 2nd tier tie-up is still in some respects an aftermarket job. My comment regarding them finally understanding what people want is because they didn't pencil this in from the design stage.
From what I gather, the idea of a RR had been kicking around from get go
and suspect that in order to get a green light, the developers had to keep
with program engines / diesel to guarantee easy sales take up across the
Asia and other diesel centric regions.

Internally, I bet there was a big, "there I told you so" moment
when HP buyers pushed back.....

One thing is for sure, chipping away with over priced
"One Ford" FWD dog turds has failed miserably.

Last edited by jpd80; 04-01-2020 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:37 PM   #81
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Why not:

Well I'm delaying looking at swapping our Trafic Crewvan for a Transit Custom 320L Sport just to see if this V8 Ranger has some real legs.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2020, 05:47 PM   #82
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

So has someone actually read the article?
Old 04-01-2020, 06:50 PM   #83
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
So has someone actually read the article?
Pretty sure that it's real if Toby Hagon is putting his name to it.....
Old 04-01-2020, 08:00 PM   #84
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Full stomach and empty balls? Whats that got to do with cars?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2020, 08:10 PM   #85
xr8territory
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry351 View Post
This looks like the one your talking about and it does look like a neat conversion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6Uuvj_Uz9o
A question. I the current motor in a Mustang a 'coyote'? or is it different and if so, is it smaller, lighter etc.
Thanking those with any knowledge.
XW UTE, XW FAIRMONT, XT GT, XT Fairmont, EF XR8, XH XR8 UTE, XH XR8 UTE, AU UTE, Renault Scenic, XF UTE, BA XR8 UTE, TERRITORY, Chrysler Voyager, WS FIESTA ZETEC,TERRITORY TITANIUM, BA UTE, Nissan Pathfinder, AU Falcon Forte, BA XR8 UTE.
xr8territory is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2020, 08:35 PM   #86
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I love that Godzilla V8. The bore centres on that are mammoth. Serious potential with that engine. Imagine having that in a Ranger LOL. I don't like the chances.
It's cast iron so are you sure its lighter though?
I should be careful about saying stuff like it is lighter, I don't know, but recall in reading that it was lighter than the V10 and (maybe) that it was near the GM 6.2 in dimensions?? Time will tell.

In many ways they've gone and done with the 7.3 what was done with the original Windsor - a thin wall cast iron block of compact size that ended up being close to - or lighter than - and cheaper to make than - GM's alloy V8 of the early 1960s and then went on to power everything and win Lemans and Bathurst. That it's built in Windsor is the icing on the cake (so much icing for Ford at present!)

The engineers that built it, and the product development team, massive tip of the hat to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp
Love it! Have some apples for your pie.

Last edited by Sprintey; 04-01-2020 at 08:40 PM.
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2020, 08:39 PM   #87
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
Exactly. Ford have learnt not to listen to the inner city Melbourne soy latte sipping Green and ALP supporter.

I hope it comes optioned with a rifle rack in the front.
And we've got movies like 'Ford vs Ferrari' and 'Midway' being actually released by Hollywood, wth happened?? Is this an alternate reality, movies for men and 21st century pushrod big blocks all in one spacetime??
Old 04-01-2020, 08:58 PM   #88
Whistlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Full stomach and empty balls? Whats that got to do with cars?
Never mind.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:05 AM   #89
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
And we've got movies like 'Ford vs Ferrari' and 'Midway' being actually released by Hollywood, wth happened?? Is this an alternate reality, movies for men and 21st century pushrod big blocks all in one spacetime??
I was watching one YT video review of the new 7.3l XLT and the reviewer mentioned the handy storage area under the rear seat to stow your rifles and hunting gear. Quite American I'd say.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2020, 06:57 AM   #90
Whistlr

Despite being somewhat grunt deficient versus the boosted six, the upgraded V-8 has little trouble returning solid results at the test track. Propelling the 5284-pound pickup from zero to 60 mph required just 5.9 seconds, only 0.2 second slower than the last*2017 F-150 with the 3.5-liter EcoBoost*and 10-speed we tested. It’s also a 0.4-second improvement over*a 2016 F-150 SuperCrew 4x4*with that year’s less powerful V-8 and six-speed automatic. The 2018 V-8 also ran the quarter-mile in 14.4 seconds, matching the EcoBoost’s time precisely. It even cleared the traps doing 98 mph—1 mph faster than the EcoBoost. (The earlier V-8 truck ran the quarter in 14.9 seconds at 95 mph.)

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ercrew-review/

A V8 Raptor would be a few hundred kilos lighter than that ^... in other words it could be towing a caravan and still be quicker than the diesel Raptor.