Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-11-2009, 08:56 PM   #1
kocho
The Futuriser

Default (VIC) P's --> Full License.. quick question.

Hey guys,

Today I received a letter in the mail asking my to renew my drivers licence and obviously get a full lisence. It comes with a receipt that is valid for "up to 2 months from the payment date or until you receive your new card" and then theres 2 terms which I'm fine with.

I got my P's on the 27/11/2006 and my 18th birthday is a month and a bit before that. So, now I'm 21 (and haven't had my P's for the full 3 years) and still on my green P's.

So, what I'm not sure of is if I'm still on my P's or not? It says "Date of Prob Expiry" which is blank.

Can anyone who's very recently got off their P's confirm either way? If not, I'll just go to the Police station and ask them.

Thanks!

Previous 2003 BA Ford Futura.

CKGD - Freelance Graphic Designer

Last edited by kocho; 06-11-2009 at 09:04 PM.
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2009, 09:09 PM   #2
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

this is a total guess and may not answer your question anyway - i have been off my p's for 20 years

i assume you need your licence for 3 years to complete your probation. if you have not had it for 3 years, then you will still be on probation

i assume that the renewal is the document that has "date of prob expiry" blank. that would be because once renewed and valid, your probation has expired. of course the renewal can only be valid once you have held your licence for 3 years
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2009, 09:18 PM   #3
kocho
The Futuriser

gtxb67, I suspect you're right. I originally thought that I have to have my P's for the full 3 years. But, as time goes by, I thought I might have crossed wires so I tried to get out as much as they sent me as I could. Turns out, it doesn't really say much but they ask me if I want to be an organ donor through pamphlet and on the actual Licence renewal aswell (don't they have any confidence in my driving!)

The website also doesn't say much (unless I haven't looked hard enough) and prefers to tell me things about P1 and P2 which doesn't effect me because I got my licence before the time.

Ugh, who knows, I'll pay for it and ring and ask just to be 100% sure. But I'm 99% sure you're correct.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:21 PM   #4
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

I'd say you're off your P's on the 27 Nov. provided you're good before then and paid the licence renewal. I think you need to go to a Vicroads office to get your photo taken as well.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2009, 09:24 PM   #5
kocho
The Futuriser

Nah, the form says the photo is valid until 26/11/2011 so that's OK.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:34 PM   #6
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Used to be you just front up to Vicroads, pay your money, get the photo taken and they send the licence in the post, or get it there and then if its able to at the place you go to. Would be the easier option if theres a Vicroads office nearby.

see link: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...OrReplacement/

Says if you go to a Vicroads photopoint they take your photo again anyway.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2009, 07:04 PM   #7
quirdan

I got my letter a few weeks before I was due to qualify. I went straight from the letterbox to VicRoads to get it printed up in person right away instead of waiting for a new one in the post. I asked VicRoads about the 'uncertain' period and they said if you've been issued with a full licence, that is your licence and you may drive according to that (full) licence.

I never 'tested' it so to speak. I did drive with the P plates off though. Perhaps you can check online once you've renewed.
quirdan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2009, 08:24 PM   #8
schultzie
Just Images

your old licence is valid till the 27th and you are on your p's till that date, your new license will turn up before then..

my missus found out the same info, she comes off her p's on the 11th and that is what vic roads told her.