Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-09-2006, 10:24 PM   #1
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 
Question Career in Marketing

I'm currently in the process of looking for a new job and thought I would gather interest/advice from fellow FFAUian's.

Currently, I am working for a freight forwarder in Sydney, with my role being in Ocean Exports. I coordinate all LCL (less than a container load) shipments to any destination throughout the world. It can be a interesting job at times, and one that has strict daily deadlines that must be adhered to which always keeps you on your toes! I believe I am pretty competent in this role, but know that its not what I want to do for the rest of my life.

I've completed a Bach. of Bus. (Marketing) degree and am really passionate to develop my career in this industry. I've developed some great skills from my current role that will be a great asset to me within the marketing industry.

I currently live in the Sutherland Shire (south east Sydney) and would love to continue my career there, but if a great opportunity came up elsewhere I would definitely give it my consideration.

Although I've completed a uni degree, I'm not looking for instant riches or a walk in the park...I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, but would also like opportunities to move within an organisation in the future.

If anyone has advice or any other info that can assist me in securing a role within the marketing industry, please post here or PM me. Thanks

Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 10:03 AM   #2
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ask ford for a job apparently they need help in this field......

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 06:37 PM   #3
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCONSR
Ask ford for a job apparently they need help in this field......
They do!!

Ford, any offers?? _2:
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles

Old 18-09-2006, 02:55 PM   #4
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

If there is anyone who works in the marketing industry, your input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 18-09-2006, 03:58 PM   #5
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Product knowlege,product knowledge and more product knowledge. Ive ben in my industry for over 25 years and have been accepted as the Guru of our industry, and im still learning.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 04:00 PM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Ive also almost finished my marketing major aswell (bach of eng/com), and would like to know any info.

must say though that the eng salaries are a tad more appealing.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 05:33 PM   #7
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr
Product knowlege,product knowledge and more product knowledge. Ive ben in my industry for over 25 years and have been accepted as the Guru of our industry, and im still learning.
Thanks jcxr.
Any advice for getting into the industry, apart from knowing a company's products and the marketing issues associated with them?

One of my greatest hurdles is that I have lived most of my life in rural NSW, which makes networking very difficult. Also makes it difficult to get (even limited) experience in the industry.

Old 19-09-2006, 05:01 PM   #8
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I sort of came from the other direction. I had been working in radio for quite a few years but was starting to get bored with it. The one thing I did enjoy was promotional activities, meeting listeners etc. Thus at the age of 27 I decided to go to uni and do a B Bus (majoring in marketing).

From this I moved into promotions managers roles in radio as well as for a wine club. I am now marketing manager for a sporting goods retailer.

My tip would be to work with something you really like and enjoy. I know I could never do marketing for a pharmaceutical company or something like that because it just doesn't interest me. Decide what field you'd like to get into (retail, media, IT etc) and then work towards it. Maybe there's someone within that industry you can talk to to get a bit of insight or even do some "work experience" type things to build your skills.

Of course you could also take your current skills and qualifications and think about what similar (but still different) jobs they could suit without completely changing your direction?

Good luck with it all.
FASTXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2006, 09:58 PM   #9
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTXR
I sort of came from the other direction. I had been working in radio for quite a few years but was starting to get bored with it. The one thing I did enjoy was promotional activities, meeting listeners etc. Thus at the age of 27 I decided to go to uni and do a B Bus (majoring in marketing).

From this I moved into promotions managers roles in radio as well as for a wine club. I am now marketing manager for a sporting goods retailer.

My tip would be to work with something you really like and enjoy. I know I could never do marketing for a pharmaceutical company or something like that because it just doesn't interest me. Decide what field you'd like to get into (retail, media, IT etc) and then work towards it. Maybe there's someone within that industry you can talk to to get a bit of insight or even do some "work experience" type things to build your skills.

Of course you could also take your current skills and qualifications and think about what similar (but still different) jobs they could suit without completely changing your direction?

Good luck with it all.
Thanks for your advice FASTXR. As you would probably know, its getting your foot in the door that is usually the most difficult part, especially with the (lack of) direct exposure I've had to the role I envisage myself to be in, in the future.

I guess fingers crossed for my interview this Thursday...Assistant Product Manager Role would be a fantastic opportunity for me to get myself into the industry.

Old 15-10-2006, 04:36 PM   #10
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Bump

Anyone looking for an enthusiastic Mktg Grad to join their team/org., prepared to roll up his sleeves and work hard - PM me.

Last edited by #Russ#Es#; 15-10-2006 at 04:48 PM.