Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 27-08-2007, 01:05 AM   #31
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Adam, (off topic) has that ST170 fog connector arrived yet?
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2007, 09:30 AM   #32
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
Adam, (off topic) has that ST170 fog connector arrived yet?
6month waiting list for it!

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2007, 09:49 AM   #33
melbzetec

Aaaaah! Good things come to those who.........
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 27-08-2007, 10:00 AM   #34
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
Aaaaah! Good things come to those who.........
.............pay the extra and buy the kit from fordpartsuk.com? lol.

My mum always says, you cant buy cheap and save!

Old 27-08-2007, 10:32 AM   #35
whippet_zetec
Supes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dlvr
picked up a focus zetec, today. 3d hatch with all the goddies. 1 year rego and rdw, 30,000km, imc condition for $13,000, thats a bragin.
best thing about the car is the 5-speed manual.
ive done 140km in it allredy im loving it what can i say
thats a pretty decent price for an 04 LR Zetec with that many kms on it. No way would I be letting mine go at that price. Good colour "ink blue" but need to keep it clean becuase it shows up dirt as bad as black, and looking at your pic one quick and easy mod is your side repeaters - go white/clear son !
Old 27-08-2007, 10:46 AM   #36
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
6month waiting list for it!
Mate instead of being a post junkie and answering other peoples questions....I am now told it is a 6 week turn around for this part to be imported from the UK. But yes I can handle a little while without my ST170 fog lamps.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2007, 10:54 AM   #37
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOCUSonTHIS
Mate instead of being a post junkie and answering other peoples questions....I am now told it is a 6 week turn around for this part to be imported from the UK. But yes I can handle a little while without my ST170 fog lamps.
ooohhhhhh getting antsy pantsie arnnt we! :P

Old 27-08-2007, 12:05 PM   #38
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I saw your car advertised on Ebay I think it was. You have the 17" MP3 alloys, the factory bodykit and the Stability Control/Traction Control system, nice looking car indeed.

Pulling the foglight out one click puts on the front fog-lights, pulling it out a second time puts on the rear one also. NEVER EVER EVER use the rear fog light at night or day when it's clear. Only EVER use it in THICK fog, as it's a bastard of a thing to look at if you're behind the car. They're very bright and can be very dazzling - along with the fact they're illegal to use unless it's foggy. They're designed to make your car more visible from behind in fog, but we rarely see fog like that in Australia..

Given you've got the bodykit fitted, they used to take out the rear fog light and install a second reversing light so that the two lenses in the bottom bumper should now both be clear with a red reflector strip at the top. Normally the Focus without the bodykit comes with one reversing lamp and one rear fog lamp. Chances are now that you should have two reversing lamps and the rear fog light switch will turn on inside the car but will no longer be connected to anything. Try it out in the garage to check.

REdline is 6,800rpm Peak torque is at 5,500rpm so not really much need to go above 5,500rpm as the performance drops off a little. It'll run smoothly all the way to 6,800rpm if you wish, but every day driving it'll be happiest changing about 4,000rpm or so.

Fuel in the city you should get about 500-550km to a 55litre tank, meaning you'll average around 9.5 - 10.0l per 100km. Highway driving will drop this to mid/low 7's per 100km. Great little thing, plenty of power, sounds great, copes happily with passengers and is very economical to run.

The removable faceplate on the stereo is a security measure origianlly designed for Europe where weirdos still steal factory stereos... I used to remove it each night in a dark street and then you have the two flashing red lights in the interior, anything to hint that you have an alarm or extra security might just deter those kids looking for fun.

If it's a factory alarm, it should be located in the engine bay, there should be little keys provided with the car to enable.disable the alarm siren.

Other than that, little things you'll notice:

- When the wipers are on, if you engage reverse gear, the rear wiper will also come on momentarily
- Side mirrors are heated, they come on when you turn on the rear windscreen demister
- Stereo displays radio station names, thank the European stereo for that!!
- 2 cigarette lighters/chargers, perfect for phone AND Ipod (but no Ipod input). Second one is behind the two front seats, in the middle of the console.
- shopping bag hooks in the inside of both sides of the boot, the yellow plastic tabs. Brilliant!
- Windscreen wiper reservoir is 5 litres!! It is the central point for both fron and back washers.

The list goes on. Great little car, I miss mine and only getting a company car forced me to sell mine. I'd have kept it for another 5 years if not longer otherwise. Such a dream to drive!

True to form it takes me to be the most constructive and helpful... offering pages out of my book for those interested...

Last edited by zetec; 27-08-2007 at 12:14 PM.
zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2007, 01:04 PM   #39
photn
AFF Post NAZI

This is odd?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-Focus-Ze...QQcmdZViewItem

DAW i should of looked.. LOOK AT THIS!

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars...o=60&trecs=154

Last edited by photn; 27-08-2007 at 01:12 PM.
Old 27-08-2007, 01:48 PM   #40
melbzetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
!!
- - shopping bag hooks in the inside of both sides of the boot, the yellow plastic tabs. Brilliant!
Bloody hell. You learn something everyday about the Focus. I never knew that

Old 27-08-2007, 02:31 PM   #41
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I'm not just a pretty face...

And Sean, don't stress, you got a great deal!! That $13k is positively ridiculous, the owner clearly lost a lot of money (the vicinity of at least $3k) but if it was an emergency sale, it's her perogative.
Old 27-08-2007, 02:54 PM   #42
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
I'm not just a pretty face...

And Sean, don't stress, you got a great deal!! That $13k is positively ridiculous, the owner clearly lost a lot of money (the vicinity of at least $3k) but if it was an emergency sale, it's her perogative.
lol not fussed mate. Still loving the 700km range of the tank

DTE rocks. lol. hit the 700km mark the other day. Off 1 tank of fuel. lolz.

Old 27-08-2007, 06:19 PM   #43
zetec
Zoom Zoom

far out. That's something I never saw. Only did the one trip with the Trip computer fitted!!
Old 27-08-2007, 07:37 PM   #44
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
far out. That's something I never saw. Only did the one trip with the Trip computer fitted!!
thats what you get when getting 8.1-8.3 Ltr per 100km

Old 28-08-2007, 12:21 AM   #45
4dlvr
4dlvr

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/private/FORD/FOCUS/details.aspx?__Ns=pCar_PrivateSpecialFlag_Int32|1| |pCar_ImageCount_Int32|1||pCar_LastModifiedDate_Da teTime|1&Make=FORD&State=Victoria&PriceMax=15000&s tate_id=82&PriceMin=10000&__Dx=mode+matchany&trecs =5&Model=FOCUS&__Nne=20&__N=4294966463+82+391+410+ 4294966417+834+285+257&__Ntk=CarAll&silo=1003&keyw ords=zetec&__sid=11476989F698&Cr=4&distance=25&__D =zetec&seot=0&__Ntt=zetec&__Ntx=mode+matchallparti al&R=1501765
that was my car, i dropd the price down a whole grand
4dlvr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2007, 12:33 AM   #46
4dlvr
4dlvr

oh by the way zetec, thsanks for that info. ive got 2 reverse lights, heaps of things i didnt no about these cars..
i got 530km off that tank and still going, i think the fuel gauge is a bit on the safe side, ive been driving it on empty for about 60km and still going lol. its unbeliveable how economical these cars are even when giving them a thrashing
Old 28-08-2007, 11:57 AM   #47
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Welcome to owning a 4 cylinder!!
Old 28-08-2007, 07:29 PM   #48
4dlvr
4dlvr

well driving with you tank empty usually leads to the car eventually switching off, it happend on the way back from tafe lol, i achived 683km from a whole tank of regular unleaded, thats awsome. about 8l/100km with a good thrashing. my fairmont wouldnt give me 400km off a 68l tank.
man i love this car, still cant get over how good it is
Old 28-08-2007, 08:00 PM   #49
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
well driving with you tank empty usually leads to the car eventually switching off, it happend on the way back from tafe lol, i achived 683km from a whole tank of regular unleaded, thats awsome. about 8l/100km with a good thrashing. my fairmont wouldnt give me 400km off a 68l tank.
man i love this car, still cant get over how good it is
I just sold a 1.8l version. I used to average around 620 from 48 litres from my tank. Excellent car to own, fuel wise, it's efficient.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2007, 10:00 PM   #50
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also in the manual it recommends you not letting the car run empty.....so I dunno if that was a wise move there. Hope the engine is ok

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2007, 01:29 AM   #51
4dlvr
4dlvr

the cars still running fine, i dont think its bad, just not recomended lol.
i love the engine note, all my ,mates call it mini wrx, for some reason at 3000-6000rpm the engine gives off a nice wrx style gurgle
Old 29-08-2007, 01:30 AM   #52
Mick K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippet_zetec
thats a pretty decent price for an 04 LR Zetec with that many kms on it.
My thoughts exactly. Just shows much of a depreciating asset cars are these days!

With very low mileage and no log books, and knowing the LR Focus has had a few issues with dashboards (and odometers) being reset, I might be slightly concerned that the mileage might not be genuine, but it's still a great price for a great car anyway.

3 year old Focus Zetec vs brand new Kia Rio or Daewoo Barina? Hard choice.

Happy motoring.

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2007, 09:53 AM   #53
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I agree with Mick K, that price is almost too good to be true...

Just a note, under no circumstance should you be using Regular Unleaded 4dlvr... the car MUST be run on at least 95RON Premium unleaded or higher. Just about every LR Zetec owner here uses and highly recommends 98RON such as Caltex Vortex 98, BP Ultimate or Shell V-Power. IT turns out that we get better economy on 98 than on 95 Premium and as such it's actually cheaper to run on 98 RON!!!

The car has a requirement to run on at least 95 RON Premium as the enging has a higher compression ratio and more advanced timing than the regular model 1.8 and 2.0 Foci, meaning a higher grade of fuel is compulsory from the factory. If you look at the indise of the fuel flap when you open it, there's a sticker telling you 95+ Premium fuel is required. The LR Zetec model had 96kw as opposed to the 85kw in regular models, the tune for premium fuel is how the engine develops this extra 11kw.

When you give it some 98 RON, you'll go even further on a tank and get much better performance. Your engine will also last longer and run much cleaner!
Old 29-08-2007, 01:19 PM   #54
whippet_zetec
Supes

Quote:
I agree with Mick K, that price is almost too good to be true...
my point too, but the link to the carsales site gave a purchase price of $14,000 so it was genuine....be buggered if I'd be letting my LR Zetec go that cheap in the condition it is in today. (maybe in 12/18 months :P)
Old 30-08-2007, 01:01 AM   #55
4dlvr
4dlvr

the girl told me she need the money because she needed to go to europe, she was totaly cluless about selling cars, i rocked up with 13,000 threw it her and after much debating and argueing i got it for $13,000. i was laughing on the way home
Old 30-08-2007, 08:34 AM   #56
BlackLS

Quote:
i love the engine note, all my ,mates call it mini wrx, for some reason at 3000-6000rpm the engine gives off a nice wrx style gurgle
Not running on 3cyl by any chance :
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2007, 11:58 AM   #57
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
No probably pinging from the regular fuel... seriously need to run it on 98 as soon as possible. I wouldn't be surprised if the chick had been running it on regular all it's life...
Old 30-08-2007, 12:23 PM   #58
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
you and your pulsar days hahahaha

Old 30-08-2007, 11:51 PM   #59
4dlvr
4dlvr

i just put in some octane booster to compensate for the low ron fuel, i got the car checkd by my dad whos a machanic and he goes to me it looks very clean.
i purchased some clear side indicators, ill put them on tomoro and show some pictures
Old 30-08-2007, 11:53 PM   #60
4dlvr
4dlvr

BlackLS i wish my car is running on 3cyl, i cant imagen how much harder it will go using the other one aswell lol