Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 23-03-2006, 12:25 AM   #1
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Under the bonnet, trying to keep as clean as above!
Default Pete's complete rebuild (hope it works).

hi all. well as the title says what i'm doing i thought i might share it with you seeing as you have helped me heaps so far.

i'll start with why i am doin it. well one loverly saturday afternoon i had to pick up my brother. i stopped at his place and left the car idleing while i went in. bout 1 minute later we came out and i took off. i was doing about 40km/h when i heard a noise at the front of the car and then the engine stopped. i didn't have a clue what had happened but when i popped the hood i saw that the rocker cover was smashed right at the front. we came to the conclusion that the timing chain must have snapped. anyway after i got it back home and got what was left of the rocker cover off i saw that the bolt that holds the cam sprocket to the cam had snapped! anyway i got the head off and sent it to a machine shop. EVERY VALVE was bent. pistons were all marked, chain guides smashed and sent all through the motor and so on. so i decided this is my chance to make it fast! and beat me mates 5.0l 5spd commodore.

so this is where i am at. i got the motor and auto out. block sent away to get all cleaned up and board out 20 thou. fully balanced bottom end. new acl race series oversized pistons. i am not sure about the cam yet probably go with a stage 4 crow with springs, vernier gear and chip torque chip. i'll have to send the head back to get it ported and all that. getting a CAI, thermo fans and new pacemaker extractors (the better ones). i have had the alternator and starter motor all cleaned up and i'm waiting on a new power steering pump.

the btr auto is going to get all the valve body cleaned out with a few mods so it will throw it into gear a bit harder. i'm getting a stall made for it to suit the cam (not sure how high yet), davies craige oil cooler and maybe rebuilt. i'm getting a LSD centre probably a 3.7:1 ratio.

the engine bay is being all cleaned up at the moment and getting ready to get sanded back. goin to paint it in the next few weeks, and all new water/oil pipes.

so it's a pretty big project and tell me if i'm dreaming but i'm aiming at the 170rwkw area. if anyone has any tips on what i should do or what parts to get it would be very much appreciated. hopefully i can get some pics up to show you all how it is now and how it turns out.

thanks heaps for the tips so far and the ones still to come.

pete

EB Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 12:35 AM   #2
John_LS1

sounds interesting, pics would be good!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 12:37 AM   #3
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

probably do a search that would be your best option as it's been covered heaps before. As for power, 170kw should be achieveable if you choose the right gear. There are a few people on the forums running just over 170rwkw. It's all in the head/cam combination. Working the bottom end won't give you any extra power, but it will give you reliability. People seem to get good results with JMM Dev 5 cam and head work.

Good to see you don't beat around the bush and you just get stuck straight into it.
sphell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 12:47 AM   #4
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i just tryed to upload some pics off the computer but it just sat there saying "uploading pics please wait" so i'll see what i can do
Old 23-03-2006, 12:52 AM   #5
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

Your gonna need some sort of ecu tuning. A unichip or chiptorque may do it, but 170rwkw would most probably need either a Microtech, wolf3d or even an MS2 to take over ignition and injectors.

Youd be needing another fuel pump and some bigger injectors(prob around 36lb)...
19lb injectors will only flow 36rwhp each so maxing out at about 216rwhp. However with a fuel reg others have got quite a bit more than this. But id go the ecu root if you could afford it.

Sounds great though mate, you must be excited. 170rwkw NA would be a weapon.
- XB Coupe Project
BOOSTDEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 12:53 AM   #6
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i don't know about getting stuck into it. i just can't decide on the cam. i haven't got the block back yet so i'll have to make up me mind soon. yeah dev 5 seems good but i heard you can't get a stall made for the btr auto any higher than about 3000 grand
Old 23-03-2006, 01:07 AM   #7
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

3 grand stall will be plenty... tis all you will need for a road/strip car.
- XB Coupe Project
Old 23-03-2006, 01:25 AM   #8
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BOOSTDEF - about the injectors not flowing enough... i asked the same question to the guys at chiptorque, and they said mine are running fine... mine only putting out 162RWKW, but they said theres plenty of room left. I also have the standard fuel pressure reg...

i am interested to know who else has had a fuel problem when getting to 170+ RWKW... a figure i plan to get to in the near future...
Old 23-03-2006, 01:44 AM   #9
EDXR6T

good work ther mate

im going the N/A path ive desided to
hope it grab's the RWK's u want im hoping to get at that figure
EDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 02:34 PM   #10
Brent79

Good god! Ummm... did u figure out if it was the chain that snapped first or the cam bolt? Thats scarey ИИИИ!! how many Kms was on the engine?? Should i go and replace my cam chain before it breaks too???

Brent
Tickford Head and Wade 1004 cam
HP4 Chiptorque chip and XH intake

1992 DC LTD
5LTR DUEL FUEL
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 05:08 PM   #11
ea_boss_05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent79
Good god! Ummm... did u figure out if it was the chain that snapped first or the cam bolt? Thats scarey ИИИИ!! how many Kms was on the engine?? Should i go and replace my cam chain before it breaks too???

Brent
yes, why not get a hole rebuild just incase. it's not commen that a cam bolt snaps. most of the pressure is put on that little stub on the gear that holds the cam in place.
ea_boss_05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 06:58 PM   #12
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it had 226 on the clock. it was only the bolt that snapped. the chain was still together. me pics are to large. how do i shrink there file size?
Old 23-03-2006, 08:03 PM   #13
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OED666
BOOSTDEF - about the injectors not flowing enough... i asked the same question to the guys at chiptorque, and they said mine are running fine... mine only putting out 162RWKW, but they said theres plenty of room left. I also have the standard fuel pressure reg...

i am interested to know who else has had a fuel problem when getting to 170+ RWKW... a figure i plan to get to in the near future...
Yeh well i dont know how it works. Ive got 19lbs and a rising rate fuel reg and on 6psi boost mine was maxing out at 157rwkw, but had a very torquey curve. But yes, in theory going by what capacity the injectors are, 216rwhp (155rwkw) is what is supposedly the capacity.

Are you using a 5 speed? Tend to lose quite a few rwkw on the dyno with an auto so ive read??
- XB Coupe Project
Old 23-03-2006, 08:41 PM   #14
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i just got a second hand rocker setup to take a few bits off it and noticed that where the journals on the cam sit in it are rough as, compared to where the cam journals sit in the head. whys this?
Old 24-03-2006, 08:54 PM   #15
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well thanks to some people i can show you some pics.

i sanded most of the engine bay back today so i'm slowly getting there. still need some info from yas about what cam to get and what yas are using.thanks
Old 26-03-2006, 08:55 PM   #16
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hi all. i'm getting the block and bottom end back this week so i'll have to paint it all. anyone know what colour the block is? i think i'll go the crow stage 4, will the ms2 take care of it? and is it easy to tune if you know ИИИИ all about all that computer tuneing in cars? and how much would bigger injectors and fuel pump cost approx?

also what can i do to me auto? i'm getting all the valve body drilled out and was wondering what else can be done to make it a bit quicker? and what ratio diff centre should i run behind it? i was thinking about a 3.7:1.

another thing is what can i do to the intake manifold? 1st off all it's as dirty as in side so how would you clean that out? can you get it ported out and polished. i have also thought of a way to get some good cold air into it. is it illegal to cut into the bar across the front that the bonnet hooks into? i'll get some pics posted of the engine bay after it's all painted and the block. thanks for the help

pete
Old 26-03-2006, 11:15 PM   #17
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

3.7:1's will be pretty good... better off the line, and good for highway... 3.89's are even better, but a touch too high revving on the highway... i loved having 3.89's with an auto... surprised many ppl from the lights...

get some carby cleaner clean the manifold. to keep it cleaner you could fit an oil catch can... something i planned to do, but i dont have enough room to fit the one i bought... something i might look into later on.

why do you need bigger injectors for fuel pump... i am not sure on the cost, but if you were looking into another fuel pump maybe a bosch 044...