Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-01-2018, 10:04 PM   #31
leesa

Default Re: Insurance scams

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
Looking carefully at the video, the dashcam driver was not on the wrong side of the road though... But he took the turn too sharp on entering the carpark.

If the red car had not moved and obeyed the law... The dashcam driver might have had time to realise his mistake and stop in time or lessen the damage caused.
He cut the corner so sharp that he gave the red car nowhere to go. The red car couldn't have avoided that accident even if he had stop, but I don't think "give way" officially means you have to stop, it just means you have to give way. There was no way for that red car to have given way, the cam car cut the corner on red car's of the intersection.

Here's a snippet from the SA handbook
Quote:
If you enter an intersection:

if there are no markings and you are turning right into a multi-lane road, it is safest to turn into the lane on the new road closest to the middle of that road
when turning right, you should pass as near as you can to the right of the centre point of the intersection. Do not cut across the corner as you will risk a collision with a vehicle that is coming from the right - start your turn when you are close to the centre of the intersection (Example 10)
http://mylicence.sa.gov.au/road-rule...ndbook/signals

Last edited by leesa; 17-01-2018 at 10:18 PM.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-01-2018, 10:08 PM   #32
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I assume that you are inferring that this rule should apply to the dash cam driver in the 2nd video.

No... Because the dash cam driver did not have to give way to the red car.
It is the red car that should have given way to the dash cam driver.
Seeing as driver did not slow down at amber to red light and raced through it and did not bother seeing if safe to turn right into land

Mate I dunno what ya watching or whatnot, but simple and plain as day and even if red car was stopped to turn left, he would've been cleaned up

Anywayyyyyyyy

Evidence is there, road rules confirm

Unless there is a road rules that state driving not to condtions, driving through amber lights and not slowing and to turn right unsafely, then I'm done

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2018, 10:40 PM   #33
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniacidz View Post
1st one, rear end anyone and it's your fault
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsqKwl8JUy4

Dashcam drivers fault
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2018, 10:41 PM   #34
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dunno whether the give way rules even apply in carparks
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2018, 10:55 PM   #35
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Yes they do, all road rules do.
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2018, 10:55 PM   #36
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
But is does in this particular case because the red car was exiting onto a public road.

It's the same situation if are exiting from your own private driveway onto a public road..... You have to giveway to all traffic on that road.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2018, 11:28 PM   #37
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But is does in this particular case because the red car was exiting onto a public road.

It's the same situation if are exiting from your own private driveway onto a public road..... You have to giveway to all traffic on that road.
Is a lane in a carpark classed as a public road,because this happened in a supermarket carpark
Old 17-01-2018, 11:29 PM   #38
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Is a lane in a carpark classed as a public road,because this happened in a supermarket carpark
Yes....
Old 17-01-2018, 11:36 PM   #39
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Is the carpark public or privately owned?

But it does not matter... The red car was turning left into a public road.
The same road law would apply, whether the lane exiting the carpark was privately owned or public (council owned).

Same if you are exiting a McDonald's owned carpark, your private driveway, or private road from your farm onto a public road.

Lets take the example if you are driving your four wheel drive on a beach in the middle of no where...
Technically the beach is not a road... But the road rules still apply.
The police will still book you if you are drunk and over the limit, unlicenced or your vehicle is unregistered.

Last edited by GO FURTHER; 17-01-2018 at 11:57 PM.
Old 17-01-2018, 11:59 PM   #40
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The red car wasn,t turning onto a public road,it was turning onto a lane on the carpark.I know this because the carpark in question is off the main road in Mowbray
Old 18-01-2018, 12:04 AM   #41
Trump
bitch lasagne

It doesn't matter, if any private road connects to a public road and can be freely used by public vehicles, it is considered a road where the road rules apply.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2018, 12:06 AM   #42
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
The red car wasn,t turning onto a public road,it was turning onto a lane on the carpark.I know this because the carpark in question is off the main road in Mowbray
It still does not matter whether that particular road was public or private.

The Australian Road Rules (ARR) apply to ‘vehicles’ and ‘road users’ on ‘roads’ and ‘road-related areas’.

A road is “an area that is open to or used by the public, and is developed for, or has as one of its main uses, the driving or riding of motor vehicles”.

The car park at Woolies (or Coles, Aldi, IGA, or any supermarket) is a road.
Old 18-01-2018, 12:15 AM   #43
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
If you run up the back of a car in a car park you can be done for neg driving. The rules are the same in a public or private car park as they are on a public or private street
Old 18-01-2018, 12:38 AM   #44
yearby
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did anyone notice that the passenger in the vehicle hitting the red car asked the driver to

"just be careful Tibby, I just don't everything to go flying thankyou"

...... just seconds before the collision.

A case of careless driving, I would suggest.
yearby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2018, 12:55 AM   #45
stig_3754

Give way is not the same as a Stop sign. You don't need to come to a complete stop. It's just that other traffic have right of way when you're entering that road.

Based on the evidence shown, I think we're clutching at straws if we're going to let the idiot behind the wheel of the dash cam go because the red car was rolling. The red car was obviously looking to their right and saw that there was no one coming. I'm not sure how they could've anticipated old mate taking the racing line to enter a supermarket car park.

Past Rides:
1997 EL Ford Fairmont 4A - Navy Blue
2006 BK Mazda 3 SP23 5A - Carbon Grey
2010 LV Ford Focus XR5 Turbo 6M - Frozen White
2013 LW Ford Focus ST 6M - Panther Black
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2018, 01:49 AM   #46
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stig_3754 View Post
Based on the evidence shown, I think we're clutching at straws if we're going to let the idiot behind the wheel of the dash cam go because the red car was rolling. The red car was obviously looking to their right and saw that there was no one coming. I'm not sure how they could've anticipated old mate taking the racing line to enter a supermarket car park.
Exactly - the red car no doubt looked to his right, saw it was clear, and proceeded out into the correct lane. No way in hell could he have predicted some fool would come tearing down the road & hook in on the wrong side of the road (probably wanted to straddle the driveway to avoid scraping due to the speed he was doing).

If the red car wasn't going as quick as he was out of the carpark, he'd probably have a good argument, but the insurance company will pick the slightest fault as a reason to hit him with the excess, and will conveniently ignore the blatant disrespect for road rules & other users that the dashcam driver was clearly showing. Cops will tell you amber means stop unless it's totally unsafe to do so. Any cop who witnessed that effort would have written him a ticket (or several if you include other things), but they'll ignore that & pin it on the other guy.

With the one running up the back of the CR-V, it's been mentioned above, that driver took no evasive action at all, until it was too late. Regardless of a GPS speed, you can tell they didn't made any attempt to slow down or clear the area in front to avoid it, until the CR-V comes back across into the left lane. Where did they think it would end up, losing it on a right hand bend? If the dashcam driver had backed offand slowed when the CR-V first started losing it, hey would have been fine to stop.
And for the comment about towing a heavy trailer being an excuse - it isn't. I often tow a loaded car trailer, and adapt my driving to suit. Despite no evidence in the video of towing anything heavy (as evidenced by how sharply the dashcam car did manage to brake once the driver finally woke up to what was going on) if they did have a load on, then the driver should have been even more alert and allowed more space, and the trailer brakes would have helped slow it down too.

It's probably more likely the dashcam driver was daydreaming or playing with the radio.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2018, 08:52 AM   #47
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
If the red car wasn't going as quick as he was out of the carpark, he'd probably have a good argument
I don't think he was going fast at all. You can see him driving up to the exit a few seconds before the crash, before he comes around the corner. To me it just looks like an optical illusion that he was 'driving fast' because the cam car came upon him fast.
Old 18-01-2018, 09:12 AM   #48
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
Does anyone else watch the videos on the Dash Cam Australia facebook page?

I've seen two now where the insurer has declared someone at-fault when I (and many others) think they're the innocent party.

Dashcam car had their not-at-fault claim denied by NRMA, told to pay excess due to failing to maintain a safe distance behind a car without control.
https://www.facebook.com/DashCamOwne...6637200062580/

and here. Driver of red car is declared the at-fault driver by dashcam driver's insurer AAMI! Despite the dashcam driver talking on the phone while driving, gunning it to run the light, pulling in to the car park on the wrong side of the road and then hitting another car!
https://www.facebook.com/DashCamOwne...8510230208611/

What gives? Both the dashcam driver in the first video and the red car in the second video look innocent to me.
First video - driver ran into a stationary car - that's a clear "at fault" to him.

Second video - red car innocent.

Thanks
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2018, 09:21 AM   #49
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

All I want to know is, did the CR-V driver get a fine for failing to indicate whilst changing lanes?

Old 18-01-2018, 09:37 AM   #50
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
All I want to know is, did the CR-V driver get a fine for failing to indicate whilst changing lanes?

It's quite an interesting question, and one that has been tested by the Police in the past, with respect to self-filmed and posted "hoon behaviour".

In this case, I would say Johnny in the second incident is a fool (at the very best) for posting the video he did. One would think you would have the common sense to cut out all that occurred before running the traffic light!

I see the proliferation of dash-cams as producing a lot of holier-than-thou so-and-sos who think that;
1 their s#!t doesn't stink, and
2 that they can run into anyone who they believe is in the wrong (roundabouts are a prime case of this)/.

ps I think the red car was exiting a DRIVEWAY, NOT a T-intersection. Hard to get an interpretation of this from the web.
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2018, 09:54 AM   #51
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion65 View Post
It's quite an interesting question, and one that has been tested by the Police in the past, with respect to self-filmed and posted "hoon behaviour".

In this case, I would say Johnny in the second incident is a fool (at the very best) for posting the video he did. One would think you would have the common sense to cut out all that occurred before running the traffic light!

I see the proliferation of dash-cams as producing a lot of holier-than-thou so-and-sos who think that;
1 their s#!t doesn't stink, and
2 that they can run into anyone who they believe is in the wrong (roundabouts are a prime case of this)/.

ps I think the red car was exiting a DRIVEWAY, NOT a T-intersection. Hard to get an interpretation of this from the web.
The Red car was exiting a lane in a supermarket carpark,and turning into an entry/exit lane in same carpark
Old 18-01-2018, 11:30 AM   #52
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Amazing to me that there are so many bush lawyers on this forum who think that their view of the world is the only one that matters.

I get that we have have opinion about who is right or wrong, but it is all just that; opinion. The only way this can be resolved is to refer it to a subject matter expert, and even then that may need to be put to a court of law for an official ruling.

And whilst it is easy to quote certain laws that apply, I do know that there is a precedence of rules that apply. What I don't know is what rules take precedence others and when. For example, I recall a situation where a car was driving down the incorrect side of a road when a car turned left into the lane that the car was using illegally. However, the outcome of that was that the car turning left was at fault because it had a responsibility to give way to ANY cars on the main road (even if they were driving against a law that applied to that road).

I think, in the second video shown, that is why the red car was deemed to be at fault. But that is just my opinion based on what I know.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2018, 11:39 AM   #53
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion65 View Post
Funnily enough it wasn't Johnny who posted the video. Johnny sent it to his insurer.. who sent it to the driver of the red car.. who submitted it to DCA.

But still you'd think he'd at least get rid of all the incriminating stuff before the collision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
Amazing to me that there are so many bush lawyers on this forum who think that their view of the world is the only one that matters.

I get that we have have opinion about who is right or wrong, but it is all just that; opinion.

I think, in the second video shown, that is why the red car was deemed to be at fault. But that is just my opinion based on what I know.
I'm not sure who it is that you're referring to but why is it OK for you to share your opinion but when everyone else shares theirs, they're accused of being bush lawyers who think their view is the only one that matters?
Anything that I've said in any of my posts is also just my opinion but I'd like to hope that I don't have to add disclaimers to everything I write stating that it is just an opinion and I that I am not a lawyer.
Old 18-01-2018, 12:27 PM   #54
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
I'm not sure who it is that you're referring to but why is it OK for you to share your opinion but when everyone else shares theirs, they're accused of being bush lawyers who think their view is the only one that matters?
Anything that I've said in any of my posts is also just my opinion but I'd like to hope that I don't have to add disclaimers to everything I write stating that it is just an opinion and I that I am not a lawyer.
Hey leesa, I most certainly wasn't aiming my comments at you, and I apologise if it came across that way.

For the record, I have no problems with people voicing their opinion as exactly that (and as I have done). I just get frustrated when people represent their opinion or view as fact and that anyone who has a different opinion is wrong.

I actually like the discussion (as long as they are respectful to others) that posts like yours elicit, as it enables me to see how others view things and allows me to refine my own views.

Keep posting away!

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2018, 12:37 PM   #55
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I get that we have have opinion about who is right or wrong, but it is all just that; opinion. The only way this can be resolved is to refer it to a subject matter expert, and even then that may need to be put to a court of law for an official ruling.

And whilst it is easy to quote certain laws that apply, I do know that there is a precedence of rules that apply. What I don't know is what rules take precedence others and when. For example, I recall a situation where a car was driving down the incorrect side of a road when a car turned left into the lane that the car was using illegally. However, the outcome of that was that the car turning left was at fault because it had a responsibility to give way to ANY cars on the main road (even if they were driving against a law that applied to that road).

Yep

And at the end of the day, none of us was involved so no need to get worked up over spilt milk which wasnt ours anyway

And as for title, no scams
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2018, 12:47 PM   #56
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniacidz View Post
And as for title, no scams
Good point. Thread title is just click-bait.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2018, 02:10 PM   #57
leesa

Quote:
Hey leesa, I most certainly wasn't aiming my comments at you, and I apologise if it came across that way.

For the record, I have no problems with people voicing their opinion as exactly that (and as I have done). I just get frustrated when people represent their opinion or view as fact and that anyone who has a different opinion is wrong.

I actually like the discussion (as long as they are respectful to others) that posts like yours elicit, as it enables me to see how others view things and allows me to refine my own views.

Keep posting away!
No worries, psychobimbo. Thank you for the clarification, I did think it was directed at me but I'm glad to hear it wasn't. I try and make sure I don't ever make my opinions seem like facts but I do know what you mean as I reckon I've seen it from others!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Good point. Thread title is just click-bait.
Maybe it's not the generally accepted version of 'insurance scams' but I do think there's a bit of scamming going on by insurance companies! I'd feel scammed if I was the driver of that red car in the second video.
It could have been worse, I could have said "What happened to one of these drivers after this collision will SHOCK you..."
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2018, 11:43 PM   #58
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking of insurance company scams...

Allianz have just been hit with an order for $45 million to be repaid to Australian buyers.
Couldn't happen to a better bunch of pricks imo.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-17/allianz-suncorp-to-repay-$60m-over-useless-car-insurance/9336436?section=business
Edit.
Can't seem to link using a tablet. Use Google.....sorry.

Line up for your refunds folks.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post