Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 03-03-2016, 01:39 PM   #181
sparkle6856
Starter Motor

Default Re: LZ Focus (Thai Models)

Just wondering about other people's fuel consumption. Prior to this car (trend auto) I had a lw mk2 auto which was getting around 7.5, I reset all my odometer settings at every refill. With the lz I am currently only on my first tank of fuel, 1/2 a tank used and consumption is sitting at 11.5 😨. With the lz do u need to reset the settings every fuel refill or not. My dealer mentioned that you don't need to any more?
sparkle6856 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2016, 02:35 PM   #182
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle6856 View Post
With the lz do u need to reset the settings every fuel refill or not. My dealer mentioned that you don't need to any more?
Well, I am resetting after every fill, but only Trip Computer 1. If there's a way to zero the settings automatically, I'm not aware of it. (In my Honda settings reverted to zero each time you filled up.)

Your consumption figure is about right. Assuming you're driving in heaving stop/start traffic.
CatonaPC© is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2016, 06:49 PM   #183
Focii

Quote:
Just wondering about other people's fuel consumption. Prior to this car (trend auto) I had a lw mk2 auto which was getting around 7.5, I reset all my odometer settings at every refill. With the lz I am currently only on my first tank of fuel, 1/2 a tank used and consumption is sitting at 11.5 😨. With the lz do u need to reset the settings every fuel refill or not. My dealer mentioned that you don't need to any more?
A couple of people have mentioned varying fuel use so far. Driving conditions do play a part, so there is that. If the conditions are the same as the old Focus, then, it doesn't really fly being that high.

What fuel are you using? i.e. brand, RON etc.

Personally, my usage is 9.2L per 100km and conditions are probably about 70% city, 30% highway. I also reset my 'trip computer 1' every fill. I'm using BP Ultimate 98.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:48 PM   #184
NormM67

Quote:
Currently sitting around 1350km with a fuel consumption of 8.8 for my manual Trend. That's with a mix of 98, 95 and 91 (Premium pump was blocked last fill so threw in normal unleaded). That's probably with about 95% city driving on the M5 at around 30kmh.

Average consumption seems to be heading down so hope it keeps doing that. I've only reset the trip once (at around 300km) but can't be bothered anymore.
NormM67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2016, 08:08 PM   #185
4cyl_Turbo

Quote:
After 1600km, averaging about 8.5 (80% urban), reset each fill.

I have been trying a different driving style, requiring a more spirited attitude.
Bounced of the rev limiter the other day, just over 6000rpm. (Ridiculous manual shifting toggle)
Haven't seen much of a difference in the fuel use (via trip computer), will see how it went when I next fill up. Good fun though.
2018 Ford Focus SA Titanium - white (current)
4cyl_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2016, 09:19 PM   #186
Focii

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cyl_Turbo View Post
After 1600km, averaging about 8.5 (80% urban), reset each fill.

I have been trying a different driving style, requiring a more spirited attitude.
Bounced of the rev limiter the other day, just over 6000rpm. (Ridiculous manual shifting toggle)
Haven't seen much of a difference in the fuel use (via trip computer), will see how it went when I next fill up. Good fun though.
This is interesting.

The Titanium is listed on the Ford site as using slightly more fuel than the other models..

What fuel are you using?

When you say urban, does this involve stop start traffic, or just puttering around the suburbs?
Old 03-03-2016, 10:15 PM   #187
4cyl_Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focii View Post

What fuel are you using?

When you say urban, does this involve stop start traffic, or just puttering around the suburbs?
91 for 1st few tanks, 98 for current tank.

Urban being mainly 60km roads with only 16 sets of traffic lights on the 32km daily round trip commute.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:33 AM   #188
WindsorXR
FGII XR6, Focus Sport, XR

Our Focus sport is around 7.5 I think. It's a decent mix of highway and urban.

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

BA XR8 Build Thread (SOLD)
1966 XR Falcon Build Thread
WindsorXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2016, 05:33 PM   #189
to4garret
Starter Motor

Hi All, new LZ Focus Sport auto owner here.

We have done around 850 kms so far and we are averaging 9.7, thats with 2 adults and 2 sproglets in the back.

So far quite a nice car, i wish the drivers seat was height adjustable for the front and rear of the seat individually. I find it sits quite flat and personally i would like a bit more 'bucket' in it.

I do think we might have a slight issue with ours though, its very bumpy/lumpy/shakey on the first cold start of the day. You can see the tacho bouncing around 1500-1800rpm for the first minute or two. It feels like the engine is 'missing' until its warmed up. It feels very rough and you can really notice it in the cabin.

Does anyone else's do this?
to4garret is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2016, 09:45 PM   #190
4cyl_Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by to4garret View Post
I do think we might have a slight issue with ours though, its very bumpy/lumpy/shakey on the first cold start of the day. You can see the tacho bouncing around 1500-1800rpm for the first minute or two. It feels like the engine is 'missing' until its warmed up. It feels very rough and you can really notice it in the cabin.

Mine is also a little 'lumpy', when first started.
But as I then drive off soon after starting, hard to tell how long it lasts.

My last car was also the same on start up, I think it is designed that way,to get it to operating temp fast.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:04 PM   #191
frankie86
Sprinting Everywhere!

Quote:
Mine is also a little 'lumpy', when first started.
But as I then drive off soon after starting, hard to tell how long it lasts.

My last car was also the same on start up, I think it is designed that way,to get it to operating temp fast.
The missus titanium does the same thing i've noticed, sounds like it runs a little rough on start up for the first minute or so but sorts itself out, must be normal by the sounds of it
frankie86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2016, 02:18 PM   #192
Focii

Quote:

For me, the engine does sound (from the outside of the car) like it runs a bit rough on a cold start, but not protruding the cabin like you're getting. From the inside it feels completely normal and whisper quiet.

I'd just mention it at the 3000km service if it's still happening then.

I know it has some sort of trick computer controlled water pump to make sure the car reaches optimal temperature as soon as possible, so maybe the roughness has something to do / is a side effect of this process.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:05 PM   #193
rustyinsthoz
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focii View Post
For me, the engine does sound (from the outside of the car) like it runs a bit rough on a cold start, but not protruding the cabin like you're getting. From the inside it feels completely normal and whisper quiet.

I'd just mention it at the 3000km service if it's still happening then.

I know it has some sort of trick computer controlled water pump to make sure the car reaches optimal temperature as soon as possible, so maybe the roughness has something to do / is a side effect of this process.
I think it is a characteristic of direct injection engines. Assuming that it is direct injection? My golf sounded like a diesel when cold starting it.
rustyinsthoz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2016, 01:02 AM   #194
to4garret
Starter Motor

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Its not so much the sound, it shakes the car and the tacho bounces around like its struggling to idle for 30-60 seconds.

I made a youtube so you can see the tacho bouncing up and down until to stabilizes, while its bouncing you can feel miss fires and vibration in the car.

Is this how your cars are behaving?

It seems strange to me that in 2016 this would be normal cold start in an otherwise reasonably refined car.

Also, comparing it to my daily 2015 Fiesta ST, the Fiesta is smooth as silk on first start. Isnt the new Focus motor a derivative of the ST engine?

I will mention it to my local dealer in the next few days, but personally im not expecting much - i mean, a cold start issue that disappears after a few seconds...
Old 09-03-2016, 07:21 AM   #195
4cyl_Turbo

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Its not so much the sound, it shakes the car and the tacho bounces around like its struggling to idle for 30-60 seconds.

I made a youtube so you can see the tacho bouncing up and down until to stabilizes, while its bouncing you can feel miss fires and vibration in the car
I will check mine today and see if I get the same instantaneous fuel consumption during the first 30 secs.

As you can see fuel consumption gets up to 4L/100km, then slowly works it way down to the normal 1.5 at idle.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:13 AM   #196
CatonaPC©

I check mine at cold start up. Does exactly what this clip shows however, it's nice and smooth. If it's misfiring and spluttering, definitely get it checked.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:16 PM   #197
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Even my WT Fiesta does this, can't really feel it though.

You will have to leave it overnight at Ford for them to try it out. It doesn't look likes its changing in revs enough to make it be erratic and rough though.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:07 PM   #198
to4garret
Starter Motor

I went to the dealer and we started up a demo LZ Focus and it did the same thing, but not as rough so it must be normal'ish.

The Service manager mentioned its likely to do with the EURO 6 emissions and needed to heat the CAT up quickly.

Which could explain the difference compared to the Fiesta ST as it is EURO 5 compliant, not 6.

Anyhow, happy that it seems to be nothing sinister.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:28 PM   #199
CatonaPC©

Quote:
The Service manager mentioned its likely to do with the EURO 6 emissions and needed to heat the CAT up quickly.
The brochure on this car states Euro Stage 5. In Australia, Stage 6 Euro emissions don't need to take effect until April/July 2017. For that matter, Stage 5 isn't mandated until November 2016.

So, I am not sure what your service manager has stated is correct or not.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:28 PM   #200
to4garret
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatonaPC© View Post
So, I am not sure what your service manager has stated is correct or not.
Quite possible he was confused. He did think the Fiesta ST was a 2.0l and didnt know it was an EcoBoost engine.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:32 PM   #201
to4garret
Starter Motor

Actually, its more probable im confused, the LZ Focus is Euro 5 and the Fiesta ST is Euro 4. Thanks for pointing that out CatonaPC.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:51 PM   #202
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Although the mandate is not till later, the vehicles meet that emmision standard already..
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2016, 11:56 AM   #203
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
Although the mandate is not till later, the vehicles meet that emmision standard already..
Obviously any new car sold now will likely comply with Euro 5 at the very least. From November this year, I would not be surprised if we start seeing Euro Stage 6 compliant cars being sold.

We are really lagging in Australia. Euro 6 has been in effect since 2014 in Europe and the US have tougher emission laws than Euro 6. So, it's surprising a new model like the Focus is being sold here with a redundant emissions standard. Doesn't say much about the authorities here to allow such a lag in standards.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:56 PM   #204
NormM67

I checked mine this morning on startup and it was pretty smooth, just sat around the 1250 RPM mark for a minute before dropping down to around 1000 RPM.

My car is a manual so I wonder if autos behave differently?
NormM67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2016, 07:36 PM   #205
4cyl_Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatonaPC© View Post
We are really lagging in Australia. Euro 6 has been in effect since 2014 in Europe and the US have tougher emission laws than Euro 6.
Do you think it maybe related to the number of vehicles on the road in those countries/regions?

The U.S. has >220,000,000 registered cars and I expect Europe to have similar numbers. Australia wouldn't have 10% of those numbers.

China is the country that is hopefully aiming at tougher emission laws.
China may have by now passed the U.S. with the most registered cars, two years ago they were around 160,000,000 cars and 90,000,000 heavy vehicles.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:22 PM   #206
Muttley098
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormM67 View Post
I checked mine this morning on startup and it was pretty smooth, just sat around the 1250 RPM mark for a minute before dropping down to around 1000 RPM.

My auto idles the same as you describe. Never had any inconsistency.

My previous LW2 auto had an inconsistent idle and also when running it sometimes didn't hold steady revs and could see the rev needle bobbling around while driving. Dealer never found anything wrong with it. It was much smoother if I paused for a few seconds between putting ignition key to on before cranking the engine over, perhaps this allowed the fuel pump to charge the system before needing to inject fuel. My standard procedure when starting became key in, turn to on, put on seatbelt while hearing fuel pump spin up, then start engine.

Could low initial fuel pressure when starting be behind the rough idle for some cars? Or alternatively too rich? Obviously with a start button you don't get an option to treat it the way I described. I haven't checked if
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormM67 View Post

My auto idles the same as you describe. Never had any inconsistency.

My previous LW2 auto had an inconsistent idle and also when running it sometimes didn't hold steady revs and could see the rev needle bobbling around while driving. Dealer never found anything wrong with it. It was smoother if I paused between putting ignition key to on before cranking the engine over, perhaps this allowed the fuel pump to charge the system before needing to inject fuel. My standard starting routine became key to on, put on seatbelt while the fuel pump primed, then start engine.

Could that be behind the initial rough idle on some cars? With a start button on the LZ I'm not sure how that can be tested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2016, 09:24 PM   #207
Muttley098
Starter Motor

Oops, must have hit paste to create the double post...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2016, 12:19 AM   #208
Focii

I actually observed mine on cold start today and does the exact same thing as everyone else is describing (the revs Bob up and down a little).

I'd say it's perfectly normal ... unless, like some you're getting shuddering that protrudes into the cabin.

Got my windows tinted this week, so if I remember over the weekend I'll post some pics.
This user likes this post:
Old 12-03-2016, 11:03 AM   #209
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Do you think it maybe related to the number of vehicles on the road in those countries/regions?
I honestly don't know. My thinking if they're building Stage 6 engines for Europe now, why not be consistent across the board and put Stage 6 in Thai built cars?

My only theory may be that it's due to Australia still selling 91RON petrol which I am informed contains a higher sulfer content that 95RON. It's possible that when Euro Stage 6 emission cars do come here, owners will need to run them on 95RON minimum. But I'm just speculating.
Old 14-03-2016, 01:00 AM   #210
Focii

So I remembered to take some photos of the car after getting the tint done. I got Octane from Tint a Car which is darkest legal. IMHO it looks pretty good.

Last edited by Focii; 14-03-2016 at 01:19 AM. Reason: fixing photos
Focii is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: