Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 12-04-2016, 11:42 AM   #271
WindsorXR
FGII XR6, Focus Sport, XR

Default Re: LZ Focus (Thai Models)

Mine was a little delayed, but I ordered just before Christmas. They aren't too bad. Gets built reasonably quickly and shipped over. Ordered around the 22nd Dec, car arrived start of Feb.

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

BA XR8 Build Thread (SOLD)
1966 XR Falcon Build Thread
WindsorXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2016, 11:56 AM   #272
Focii

Something interesting I just noticed as Thailand are only now just getting the "LZ" facelift.. their 1.5 Ecoboost is able to run on e85 (and has Sync 3).

I wonder if the 2016 model coming soon here will get e85 compatibility? Does our LZ's currently have e85 compatibility (hardware wise) with some ECU changes?
Old 16-04-2016, 12:04 PM   #273
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focii View Post
Something interesting I just noticed as Thailand are only now just getting the "LZ" facelift.. their 1.5 Ecoboost is able to run on e85 (and has Sync 3).

I wonder if the 2016 model coming soon here will get e85 compatibility? Does our LZ's currently have e85 compatibility (hardware wise) with some ECU changes?
No e5 or e10 only, see exert from owners manual...

Use minimum 91 RON octane unleaded
gasoline that meets the specification
defined by EN 228 or the equivalent
national specification.
Your vehicle is suitable for use with ethanol
blends up to 10% (E5 and E10).
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2016, 12:32 PM   #274
Focii

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
No e5 or e10 only, see exert from owners manual...

Use minimum 91 RON octane unleaded
gasoline that meets the specification
defined by EN 228 or the equivalent
national specification.
Your vehicle is suitable for use with ethanol
blends up to 10% (E5 and E10).
I know that's what our manual says, but considering Thailand has e85 on their models and they come out of the same factory with the same engine... I thought there might be a possibility that we'll get it too\potentially already have it with some ECU changes.

If all the components in the fuel system and engine are the same, then I'd imainge it would come down to tuning to be able to run e85.

Maybe I'm missing something though?
Old 16-04-2016, 02:34 PM   #275
CatonaPC©

Quote:
If all the components in the fuel system and engine are the same, then I'd imainge it would come down to tuning to be able to run e85.
Not sure if you are asking a question or making a statement of fact. An engine designed to run on E85 could differ in some mechanical components and it may not be as simple as tweaking an ECU.

As an example (possibly poor one), the UK version gets two versions of 1.5L Ecoboost, 110kw and a 132kw. Could they be the same engine?
CatonaPC© is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2016, 03:09 PM   #276
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you can do it as simply as increasing turbo boost or using a higher octane rating fuel with a slightly different Engine computer tune but mechanically identical engine
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2016, 03:33 PM   #277
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99 View Post
you can do it as simply as increasing turbo boost or using a higher octane rating fuel with a slightly different Engine computer tune but mechanically identical engine
Okay, seems sound. But why do it? Why not offer just one engine power spec?
Old 16-04-2016, 03:52 PM   #278
WindsorXR

Quote:
I know that's what our manual says, but considering Thailand has e85 on their models and they come out of the same factory with the same engine... I thought there might be a possibility that we'll get it too\potentially already have it with some ECU changes.

Maybe I'm missing something though?
Maybe. Only time will tell whether they allow our future Focus models to take E85.

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

Old 16-04-2016, 05:12 PM   #279
Focii

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatonaPC© View Post
Okay, seems sound. But why do it? Why not offer just one engine power spec?
I believe the reason there are two different "tunes" in europe is due to carbon emission taxes. They offer a detuned version to meet lower co2 levels and hence less road tax.

The detuned version also has slightly better fuel consumption.
Old 18-04-2016, 07:57 PM   #280
NormM67

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatonaPC© View Post
Not sure if you are asking a question or making a statement of fact. An engine designed to run on E85 could differ in some mechanical components and it may not be as simple as tweaking an ECU.

As an example (possibly poor one), the UK version gets two versions of 1.5L Ecoboost, 110kw and a 132kw. Could they be the same engine?
To use E85 you basically need a Flex Fuel Sensor (measures the ethanol content in your fuel) and an ECU that can take advantage of the readings from that sensor (to adjusts fuel, ignition and boost settings).
NormM67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2016, 03:11 PM   #281
Steve7181
Starter Motor

Smile Re: LZ Focus (Thai Models)

Hi guys its been a great read flicking through this post.
About a week ago i put a deposit on an auto sport in magnetic with mats, premium plates, weather shields, tank of fuel and scuff plates for $28600.
Im really happy with the deal but did work extremely hard to get it and the coming update of sync 3 was my main bargaining tool. Ill definitely be dropping off a case of beer to the dealer for making his life so hard.
Looking forward to learning more about these cars and also interested in hearing about performance upgrades as im keen to hear what the little ecoboost can do safely.
Steve7181 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2016, 01:21 AM   #282
Focii

Does anyone have a rattle in/from their passenger seat headrest?

I seem to have one that is triggered by sharp bumps in the road (which around my area is most of the roads).

Last edited by Focii; 27-04-2016 at 01:23 AM. Reason: fixed spacing
Focii is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2016, 08:21 PM   #283
KosCo

Spoke to a dealer last week about getting a new Focus. He indicated that there was a supply problem at the moment and may take up to 3 months depending on what model you want. Also indicated that some potential customers are not waiting and going elsewhere.

Can anyone gives feedback on their recent experiences of getting a new car or confirm if there is a supply problem? Anyone know if the situation is likely to improve soon?
Thanks
KosCo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2016, 08:44 PM   #284
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by KosCo View Post
Spoke to a dealer last week about getting a new Focus. He indicated that there was a supply problem at the moment and may take up to 3 months depending on what model you want. Also indicated that some potential customers are not waiting and going elsewhere.
A dealer discouraging you from buying a car from them? My first instinct is to try another Ford dealer and see if they are more enthusiastic about selling you a car. (Oh! Maybe that's what the dealer meant - potential customers going to another Ford dealer?)

Seriously, sarcasm aside. The issue is if you want the Focus model of your choice and whether not you are prepared to wait. Three months is not a long time to wait even if there is a supply problem. Most owners, here, would probably suggest it is worth the wait; I know I would.

I would suggest that if you're getting such negative feedback from a dealer that you try another and see if the info is the same. More importantly though, is that you make the dealer aware that you are serious about signing on the dotted line for a car for them. Don't visit any dealer unless you are prepared to sign on the day and pay a deposit. They're good at sussing out dawdlers and wanna-be-owners. I'm not suggesting you are, but going by your post, it sounds like the dealer wasn't serious about you as a potential customer.

Wish you all the best, though. Don't give up. The Focus is worth it. So far there hasn't been too many negative comments. Owners seem very very happy with their car, as am I with my Trend.
Old 27-04-2016, 11:11 PM   #285
Focii

Quote:
My Sport Auto in white was quite hard for the dealer to track down (this was back in January). If I had to order it, it would have been about an 8 week wait at that time, so looks like popularity may have increased.

Quote:
Can anyone gives feedback on their recent experiences of getting a new car or confirm if there is a supply problem? Anyone know if the situation is likely to improve soon?
Thanks
It's interesting that there are supply issues, as the sales figures don't suggest a supply issue. It could be that there is another market the Thai factory supplies that is selling them like hotcakes and taking up our manufacturing allocation.

Thailand just launched the LZ facelift in their domestic market, so it could be that?

Speculation aside, I hope it comes down to strong demand here, because I absolutely love my car, and I would say it's worth the wait 100%.

What model are you looking at?
Old 27-04-2016, 11:24 PM   #286
Focii

Quote:

What model are you looking at?
I've actually seen you're after a Titanium from a previous post.. If you are pretty keen to get your hands on it... What the below?

I reckon considering they've announced the Sync 3 model, you'd be able to bargain this Titanium down by a good amount. Personally I really like the Titanium in Magnetic.

http://www.carsales.com.au/bncis/det...2659416/?Cr=32
Old 28-04-2016, 02:47 PM   #287
KosCo

Thanks for the feedback - I will be after a Focus Titanium. Will also be looking at the upgraded model with Sync 3 and the Technology pack. There may be some bargains on the outgoing Sync 2 model but have now decided to wait on the Sync 3 version.

I gather the Titaniums don't sell as many as some of the other models so the number imported are lower. Looks like I will probably place an order in July/August and aim to have it sometime around October.

Currently have a LW Titanium and like the car (except for the gearbox) and the only reason I am considering the LZ model is because its gone back to a conventional gearbox. So hope ithe LZ gearbox and motor are as good as some of you have indicated. Will be going for a test drive in an LZ soon to confirm this.
KosCo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2016, 06:15 PM   #288
WindsorXR

Yeah, we love our Focus Sport Auto. Just recently did a trip to Canberra and although we have only just clicked over to 3200kms, it keeps feeling better and better.
Better book it in for it's first service next week.

It's been a big change going from the BA XR8 manual to this, but I'll jump back into a manlier car later on. enjoying this right now.

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

Old 28-04-2016, 07:29 PM   #289
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback - I will be after a Focus Titanium. Will also be looking at the upgraded model with Sync 3 and the Technology pack. There may be some bargains on the outgoing Sync 2 model but have now decided to wait on the Sync 3 version.

I gather the Titaniums don't sell as many as some of the other models so the number imported are lower. Looks like I will probably place an order in July/August and aim to have it sometime around October.

Currently have a LW Titanium and like the car (except for the gearbox) and the only reason I am considering the LZ model is because its gone back to a conventional gearbox. So hope ithe LZ gearbox and motor are as good as some of you have indicated. Will be going for a test drive in an LZ soon to confirm this.
I have driven a LW and LZ Trend auto's back to back recently.

The LZ is so much better to drive with the traditional auto and the engine is much more powerful and doesn't need to revved to perform like the NA 2.0.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2016, 07:36 PM   #290
Focii

Quote:

Surely Ford dealers would take an order for the upgraded model now (probably without any discounting) to secure a sale and get you one of the first ones built with Sync 3... They'd start building them fairly soon I'd imagine (in ancitipiation).
Old 29-04-2016, 12:23 AM   #291
Steve7181
Starter Motor

Kosco although mine is a sport not titanium my dealer mentioned that it was hard to get anything but trend models and mentioned abit of a wait. Im off to Europe in a few weeks so i told him whichever colour he can source first between magnetic and blue (was handwritten on contract both colours). Im just south of sydney and last i had heard they found me a magnetic one they are bringing up from batemans bay (approx 6hrs south) for pickup this monday so approximately 3 weeks which is very reasonable yet the wait has still killed me lol. But just shows a dealer that wants your business will do the hard work for you.
Old 29-04-2016, 07:40 AM   #292
rustyinsthoz
Starter Motor

I have been waiting 3 months for a manual sport in winning blue. Due middle May. Could of had an auto sport straight a way. Sports and Titanium models seem to be in short supply.
rustyinsthoz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2016, 11:43 AM   #293
Steve7181
Starter Motor

Smile Re: LZ Focus (Thai Models)

Rusty the dealer i went to had a white manual sport (looked awesome in white) and he said it would have sold 5 times over if it were an auto. I went back 2 days later to show the misses the interior of the sport and it had a sold tag on it.
With the focus so far behind in sales figures it really surprises me they can't keep in stock the full range as if there were a titanium there to see i may have gone that way.
On another note there seems to be a few flash tuners starting to come out of the uk from reputable dealers showing a ballpark of an extra 25bhp and 50nm of torque on stock setups. It looks like there is plenty of potential to warm this little hatch up even further. 😆
Old 29-04-2016, 12:57 PM   #294
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds like ford forecasts were wrong again especially the mix between auto and manual.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2016, 02:15 PM   #295
D Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve7181 View Post
On another note there seems to be a few flash tuners starting to come out of the uk from reputable dealers showing a ballpark of an extra 25bhp and 50nm of torque on stock setups. It looks like there is plenty of potential to warm this little hatch up even further. 😆
Steve 7181 - I'd be interested in any info you have on tune upgrades on the 1.5 EB in the Focus as considering a manual sport but know I would need more power in no time at all ;) A tuned 1.5 EB Focus would be a great every day drive I reckon.
D Block is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2016, 03:07 PM   #296
Steve7181
Starter Motor

http://focusonperformance.com.au/sup...coboost-180ps/

Dblock this is the best sounding one ive found so far but yet to hear any reviews but from 182bhp to 203bhp and most importantly 254nm to 311nm of torque it sounds great and running off the bluefin handset means that as new maps are made to suit your mods they should be easy to obtain and $940 is an alright price imo. Pumaspeed also have a product out aswell but im hoping dreamscience makes something as they seemed to be really popular with the xr5.
This user likes this post:
Old 29-04-2016, 03:36 PM   #297
Steve7181
Starter Motor

I was planning on an st till the mrs decided we should just have 1 vehicle so i needed an auto and after dramas with our previous golf vw was off the table so it came down to the focus and sp25. The mazda was nice but the ford felt better and didn't have such an ugly long bonnet imo. The fact it was a turbo charged power plant is another huge bonus as anything with forced induction will respond better to small mods
Old 30-04-2016, 05:14 AM   #298
to4garret
Starter Motor

Do some research before buying from pumaspeed, their after sales service for international buyers isn't the best and they dabble in questionable business practices.
to4garret is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2016, 08:17 AM   #299
D Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve7181 View Post
http://focusonperformance.com.au/sup...coboost-180ps/

Dblock this is the best sounding one ive found so far but yet to hear any reviews but from 182bhp to 203bhp and most importantly 254nm to 311nm of torque it sounds great and running off the bluefin handset means that as new maps are made to suit your mods they should be easy to obtain and $940 is an alright price imo. Pumaspeed also have a product out aswell but im hoping dreamscience makes something as they seemed to be really popular with the xr5.
Thankyou. That's what I have been looking for. Signs of interest in the tuner world for this engine in the Focus.
A manual Sport with some Fifteen52 wheels and a tune...that'll do me.
D Block is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2016, 02:07 AM   #300
csfulton

Got some tips for you guys.
  • When washing the car leave the key inside the car. It will not lock or unlock while the key is inside the car.
  • You can close all the windows from the door handle. Just how like how you close all the windows using the lock on the key, you can do the same with the door handle. This doesn't work for opening the windows.
  • When traction control is off, the stability control is still on.
csfulton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post