Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-11-2011, 11:01 PM   #571
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Common Problems with the AU??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfghost
Au2 xr8 2001 model was missing at idle, not so noticable under revs. Had efi dude out to repair problem, said it was computer and afs sensor so soughted new afs and sent comp away for repair, unable to fault old computer, sent back, fitted parts same thing,, then said was O2 sensors, replaced them, same dilemma. didnt call him back. Sent car to new mechanic. explained problem, missing and a vacuum leak i cannot find.
After test they said i had a coil issue, said i replaced coils twice in 2 months wasted another 1000 dollars on there recommendation, and the idiot proceeded to tell me, that I dont have a CAMSHAFT SYNCHRONIZER (or sensor) because i have pushrods. I wont tell you what i thought and said. took home noticed harmonic balancer had slipped, replaced, still same issue.Camshaft synronizer is about to be replaced.

Replaced parts list for a miss
3 sets coil packs
2 sets leads
2 sets plugs
1 computer
1 air flow sensor
2 O2 sensors
1 Harmonic Balancer
full set intake gaskets, valley, planem, throttle body etc
plus labour at 104.00 p/h ( the joys of a mining town price but not working at a mine)

and annoying the wife by having to use her (corolla). been 8 weeks now and looks like it will be ongoing until i can find someone who is capable of diagnosing. will let you know when its running as it should
That ***** me sooo much, people just replacing things till its fixed. How about people spend more time diagnosing issues than just wasting peoples money or just be honest and say i don't know.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #572
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Frikkin fuel gauge and DTE reading in the Mrs' AU series 2 wagon is out to lunch. Conked out last night and was reading over a 1/4 tank but the bloody thing was empty. When you fill it, the needle jumps from empty to full all the time. What gives? Do I need to replace the sender unit?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 12:28 AM   #573
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

lol @ the windows sticking issue, my AU2 Ghia has only the drivers window working consistently - front passengers sticks down all the time so have disconnected the switch (is not the switch at fault). Rear left doesn't work at all and rear right is temperamental. Bloody annoying.

Had the IRS shock mounts replaced last year as they were cactus when i bought it. Rear right actuator replaced, climate control screen is fading, washer jets motor is stuffed, and i believe it needs new engine mounts. Has a miss at cruising speeds sometimes too. It's a v8.

I absolutely adore it though, best drivers car i've ever had.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #574
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Brake lights, intermitted, anyone advise please ?

Globes are fine, fuse's are good as well.
Fiddled with the thingy at the brake pedal, this seems to get them working off and on once moved around a little..
What is this part called as I assume this is the issue.
Thanks in advance guys.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #575
phr33k
Starter Motor

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAKE-LIG...1#ht_481wt_927

this is the part you need mate, should be an easy fix given fuse/wiring/globes are ok
phr33k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #576
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Damn, yer thats it - Thanks phr33k I'll get one later today.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #577
tim_pato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfghost View Post
Au2 xr8 2001 model was missing at idle, not so noticable under revs. Had efi dude out to repair problem, said it was computer and afs sensor so soughted new afs and sent comp away for repair, unable to fault old computer, sent back, fitted parts same thing,, then said was O2 sensors, replaced them, same dilemma. didnt call him back. Sent car to new mechanic. explained problem, missing and a vacuum leak i cannot find.
After test they said i had a coil issue, said i replaced coils twice in 2 months wasted another 1000 dollars on there recommendation, and the idiot proceeded to tell me, that I dont have a CAMSHAFT SYNCHRONIZER (or sensor) because i have pushrods. I wont tell you what i thought and said. took home noticed harmonic balancer had slipped, replaced, still same issue.Camshaft synronizer is about to be replaced.

3 sets coil packs
2 sets leads
2 sets plugs
1 computer
1 air flow sensor
2 O2 sensors
1 Harmonic Balancer
plus labour at 104.00 p/h ( the joys of a mining town price but not working at a mine)

and annoying the wife by having to use her (corolla). been 8 weeks now and looks like it will be ongoing until i can find someone who is capable of diagnosing. will let you know when its running as it should
have you checked all the vacum hosses to the air control switch? the is a fair bit of hosses behind the dash that control the cabben air.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #578
phr33k
Starter Motor

no worries mate, good to be of service :P

atleast its a half decent price considering how bad somethings can get
phr33k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #579
Woodsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfghost View Post

3 sets coil packs
2 sets leads
2 sets plugs
1 computer
1 air flow sensor
2 O2 sensors
1 Harmonic Balancer

Hey wolf ghost, my AU2 fairmont V8 had a similar problem. Turned out that a wire had worn through on the engine. I can have a look under the bonnet and find the wire I repaired if you like. Fixed it 100% after about two years of searching.

Mine would drive fine but on idle it would just drop revs like the ignition was cut then pickup again for no reason..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Woodsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #580
woohoo
Starter Motor

Smile Re: Common Problems with the AU??

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon75 View Post
Yer we had the same bloody problem with the same solution
Same here!
woohoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2013, 01:22 AM   #581
Wolfghost
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsa View Post
Hey wolf ghost, my AU2 fairmont V8 had a similar problem. Turned out that a wire had worn through on the engine. I can have a look under the bonnet and find the wire I repaired if you like. Fixed it 100% after about two years of searching.

Mine would drive fine but on idle it would just drop revs like the ignition was cut then pickup again for no reason..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I eventually found it, it was broken valve spring, but under a compression test was unable to fault, new set of valve springs and she's been running like a dream ever since
Wolfghost is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #582
gizmo302

just bought an au wagon 1999, ex taxi- 340000ks (work car) drove it about 50ks went perfect, then went to start it and it would wind over but not start, leave it for 5 mins and it will go, turn it off and again it wont start (will wind) left it for 10min and it went , went around the block all went fine, stopped it and again it wouldnt start, left for 2 hrs and started straight away
it has just had a new fuel pump in it, so im ruling that out, i tried a spark plug in it and wound it over to check spark (when it was hot) and it seemed to have spark but still woldnt start, any ideas?
gizmo302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #583
Wolfghost
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo302 View Post
just bought an au wagon 1999, ex taxi- 340000ks (work car) drove it about 50ks went perfect, then went to start it and it would wind over but not start, leave it for 5 mins and it will go, turn it off and again it wont start (will wind) left it for 10min and it went , went around the block all went fine, stopped it and again it wouldnt start, left for 2 hrs and started straight away
it has just had a new fuel pump in it, so im ruling that out, i tried a spark plug in it and wound it over to check spark (when it was hot) and it seemed to have spark but still woldnt start, any ideas?
First thing, is the smart lock turning off when your trying to start it, make sure the lights not on
Wolfghost is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2013, 11:31 PM   #584
muzza2
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylox View Post
All au 6 stack in dash head units
Completely pause quick fix keep pressing random buttoms turn on and off.
If under warranty get it replaced with another on that WILL do the same thing 6 months later.
If out of warranty buy a decent head unit.
What head unit do you recommend?
muzza2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #585
shell101
Starter Motor

Hi just wondering if any one could help me find a drivers side door mirror. Somebody broke it off the car over the weekend. So far all the ones I have come across are no good for vehicles with climate control or memory seats. I live in country Victoria so not to many wreckers about. My vehicle is a 2001 Ford Fairmont Tickford AU series 2 not sure of the colour possibly sparkling burgundy. Thank you heaps I have had my vehicle for over two years has been the best most reliable economical (lpg )vehicle I have ever owned.I will be passing it down to my daughter in the next few years as I know it will serve her well.
shell101 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #586
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

firstly is it a ghia? if it is, and it has memory seats, it's an AU3
Old 16-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #587
shell101
Starter Motor

Yes sorry it is a Ghia just got all the paperwork out says series 2
Old 16-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #588
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

does it have clear front indicators or orange? as in the lens of the indicator built into the headlight assembly?
Old 16-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #589
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Hey Prof, I've got a S2 (2000) with Memory Seats. It is a Fairlane, but just saying that it may have been optioned on the Fairmont Ghia S2.

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #590
shell101
Starter Motor

It has orange lenses I have no idea if it does have the memory seats but it definitely has climate control which is allowing me not to be able to purchase the standard mirrors on ebay etc
Old 16-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #591
shell101
Starter Motor

Hey this is a bit silly but my paper work says ghia no where on my vehicle does it say ghia. Any ways checked them out the difference between the two and mine only has wood grain on the dash and cloth seats where as the ghias have the wood grain in numerous other places and leather seats
Old 24-05-2013, 01:40 AM   #592
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR1STO View Post
Hey Prof, I've got a S2 (2000) with Memory Seats. It is a Fairlane, but just saying that it may have been optioned on the Fairmont Ghia S2.
yeah pretty sure that was only for fairlanes mate - the only Fairmont Ghia i couldn't be sure about is the 75th anniversary one, not sure if you could option memory seats on that. But i'm almost positive it was AU3 only for them.
Old 27-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #593
2002au
Define definitive

brought my 2002 xr6 3 years ago with 112,000 on it, now at 161,000. replaced the following

-clutch (very heavy, though this was the problem)
-clutch cable (better, but still not great)
-radiator (bottom tank slight leak)
-spark plugs, leads and coil pack (had a miss under load)
-inlet manifold gasket (as above)
-speedo drive o ring (very very slight drip)
-drivers side wheel bearing (noisy)
-auto belt tensioner (noisy pulley)
-firewall cracked right around the clutch cable. got the car back a few days ago, going much better and the clutch perfect now.

im sure theres more but that's all I can think of.

Then of course normal maintenance things like oil changes, coolant flush, battery etc, but all cars need that
BF F6 TYPHOON in NEO #718 ~ 356rwkw :
BF XR6 TURBO in SILHOUETTE
2002au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #594
dopeydazza

Hello
I bought mu AU2 at 350,500 km and was assured by Ford that they are bullet proof.
Nearly 3 years later, and I have just hit 410,900 km and so far both front wheel bearings were replaced at 390,000.
The exhaust rusted silly (lpg) replaced at 405,000 km, window switch as usual gets sticky (repaired due to previous post), front driver and rear passenger solenoid on auto door lock replaced at 360,000 km (aso repaired due to forum post).
This forum is great and thank you for the help.

All in all, I am very happy with my Beautiful swan (former ugly duckling)
dopeydazza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #595
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeydazza View Post
Hello
I bought mu AU2 at 350,500 km and was assured by Ford that they are bullet proof.
Nearly 3 years later, and I have just hit 410,900 km and so far both front wheel bearings were replaced at 390,000.
The exhaust rusted silly (lpg) replaced at 405,000 km, window switch as usual gets sticky (repaired due to previous post), front driver and rear passenger solenoid on auto door lock replaced at 360,000 km (aso repaired due to forum post).
This forum is great and thank you for the help.

All in all, I am very happy with my Beautiful swan (former ugly duckling)

Doing well at 400+ mate..
Is the car basically standard or is it modified..?
Either way. It's doing very well..!

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2013, 01:01 AM   #596
dopeydazza

Car AU2 is standard, originally a sales car from 2000 till 2008, private till 2010 when I got it.
It is all original, except for colour coded factory bullbar which I luckily found on Ebay and installed myself.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #597
colins
Starter Motor

Oiled all the moving parts in relation to the Ghia sticky drivers window jaming down. Oiled rubbers, cable and will update you in a month
colins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #598
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Oiled all the moving parts in relation to the Ghia sticky drivers window jaming down. Oiled rubbers, cable and will update you in a month
Silicon spray is your friend mate lol!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #599
wogboi91
Starter Motor

Hey guys/gals

I got a very strange problem I have been trying to fix for 2 weeks now.
My AU doesn't want to fire up after sitting in the garage for a week.
When I turn the key the engine cranks over a couple times then all of a sudden all the lights/power is cut off. I turn the key off and on again and the electrics are back on.

Cleaned and sanded battery terminals
Sanded every earth wire I could find
Bought a brand new battery last week
New spark Plugs
Cleaned TB
Cleaned CAS

I don't know where to go from here, any ideas would highly appreciated.

Thanks
wogboi91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2013, 11:45 PM   #600
dopeydazza

Does having flat or incorrectly coded keys allow car to turn over but not start? Look for smartshield icon on dash if stuck on.

Therefore I must be a potato.