Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-11-2015, 07:56 PM   #1
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 
Default Exhaust and CAT cleaning?

Hi all,

Being in another country (as I am), things are a little different to what we take for granted in Aus.

Long story short, I have a car (2006 Toyota) over here in Asia and yesterday it failed it's emissions test for rego renewal. It's a completely stock system. My best guess (knowing very little about Toyotas, especially ones not sold in Aus) is the Cats are pretty much at the end of their life.

But a few mechanics here suggest I just do a full exhaust clean. I've never heard of this before! They even think a new set of Cats would not be enough to make the car pass even though the cats are rated at the correct Euro IV level.

Has anyone ever heard of exhaust cleaning before relating to emissions and I've been living under a rock all these years, or is this another put a rabbits foot on your rear vision mirror for good luck situation?!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2015, 08:02 PM   #2
MR REKLAW
BF XR8 Ute
Donating Member3

Default Re: Exhaust and CAT cleaning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy View Post
Hi all,

Being in another country (as I am), things are a little different to what we take for granted in Aus.

Long story short, I have a car (2006 Toyota) over here in Asia and yesterday it failed it's emissions test for rego renewal. It's a completely stock system. My best guess (knowing very little about Toyotas, especially ones not sold in Aus) is the Cats are pretty much at the end of their life.

But a few mechanics here suggest I just do a full exhaust clean. I've never heard of this before! They even think a new set of Cats would not be enough to make the car pass even though the cats are rated at the correct Euro IV level.

Has anyone ever heard of exhaust cleaning before relating to emissions and I've been living under a rock all these years, or is this another put a rabbits foot on your rear vision mirror for good luck situation?!
Have a read of this,then draw your own conclusions.

http://exhaustsystemsguide.com/catal...erter-cleaner/
2006 BF MKII XR8 Ute,Shockwave Blue.

HERS 2003 LX Focus Sedan,Silver.

Past Rides:- XD Panel Van,XE Panel van,XF Wagon,ED Wagon,BA Fairmont.

Greetings Earthlings.
MR REKLAW is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-11-2015, 10:41 PM   #3
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Run some water injection through system.. Or water / meth kit ?
Have You checked 02 sensors, ignition , air meter , air cleaner etc
The exhaust just corrects any issues up front ..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-11-2015, 02:34 AM   #4
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Thanks guys. EB, I doubt I'll be able to find any water, water/method injection system in 10 days and get things fixed and passed (we have 15 days to sort it but we are coming home for a few weeks before hand).
Ignition system has partially been overhauled, not changed the O2s which I can't believe I didn't think of that (stupid brain, stupid brain). I was also wondering if the high flow air filter was contributing...

Cats are ordered, I'll look into getting O2s and swapping back the stock paper filter for the test.

If that doesn't work, I'll do the coil packs as well.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2015, 05:18 AM   #5
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Ahh what's wrong with washer bottle ?? just use a small hose or jet..
Turn it on 1800 rpm or so at WOT..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post