Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-11-2015, 02:47 AM   #61
Torque Talks
Starter Motor

Default Re: Would you trust a self driving car?

There are people who when I stop and think about it I dont feel comfortable trusting my life too but I'd trust them to drive me somewhere more than I would a robot as a person, even the biggest mook has the instinct of self preservation. It would be handy, but it doesn't seem like itd be relaxing.
Torque Talks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-11-2015, 08:17 AM   #62
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am also a cyclist so I do not trust dexter to drive a 2 ton vehicle next to me. Imagine a robot cleaning up your pride and joy, you cant even punch a robot lol.
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2015, 11:01 AM   #63
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Wow, so many from the tin foil hat brigade, are you aware that the hardware needed to run these autonomous cars is already on the road now, radar cruise, lane departure systems, blind spot monitoring, auto city braking all form part autonomous functionality with the final control by the human driver. Nope, none of it is perfect, but there will be a time when all cars are talking to each other so there will be no such thing as an out of control car veering into your lane without your own vehicle knowing that its coming.
I like your optimism.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2015, 11:21 AM   #64
whiteSY

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Wow, so many from the tin foil hat brigade, are you aware that the hardware needed to run these autonomous cars is already on the road now, radar cruise, lane departure systems, blind spot monitoring, auto city braking all form part autonomous functionality with the final control by the human driver. Nope, none of it is perfect, but there will be a time when all cars are talking to each other so there will be no such thing as an out of control car veering into your lane without your own vehicle knowing that its coming.
Whats wrong with a tin-foil hat?
It stops "them" from reading your thoughts . . . .
Previous Ride: 2007 SY TX Territory Winter White.
whiteSY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2015, 11:21 AM   #65
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
I like your optimism.
As Clarkson said some years back...self driving cars are a wonderful idea, but you just know that when one is second hand in a few years time it's going to be bought by someone named Kevin...and he's going to think he can "improve it" and start tinkering...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-11-2015, 12:10 PM   #66
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would be cool though if they are all programmed to get away from the lights in unison.

The moment the light goes green a line of about 20 compu-cars in the left lane all react immediately and take off at similar pace, with very slight reductions in acceleration rate from the first car through to the last to build their programmed gap by the time they reach the speed limit.

Meanwhile I am stuck in the right lane with some organic drivers, about 10th car back, and miss the green that myself and a few cars behind could have easily made if it weren't for all the numpties that have to wait for the car in front of them to pull away about 5 car lengths before they then slowly get moving.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-11-2015, 01:19 PM   #67
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
A little while ago I drove a truck with lane departure and blind spot monitoring.

The blind spot (left side front) was handy as used to tell me when I was going across a bridge.

I tried out the lane departure one night (remember this is out in the stix) and changed sides of the road.
The lane departure warning went off when I crossed the centre line but then stopped.

I could have driven on the wrong side of the road a long as I liked, it did however set it off again when I changed back to the correct side
So it worked as it should have then.
Lane departure Warning, not lane departure Control.

I see warning systems as different in that they are there to aid the driver (alarms, lights, some minor control), not to replace the driver. Self driving cars are not like the Tesla, or it's Auto Pilot at this point (it still requires you to be aware and ready to take control back!). These are aids, not replacements to being aware. But some of the systems do seem to cross over. Active cruise is another one, in that you can literally take your feet off the pedals and go (and stop). But it doesn't mean you cross your legs and switch off the brain!

Anytime control or the appearance of control is taken from people, it's always a hard sell, but whilst I can't see all cars on the roads being self driving in the future, the days coming fast when we will be sharing the roads with them. My biggest concern is if someone thinks the self drive car has cut them off, or is driving to slow (aka the speed limit), will flipping the bird at one give the same satisfaction, or worse, kick off road rage revenge from Skynet! ;)

In saying the above, I personally look forward to being carted around by our new tech overlords, but it's very early days and I don't see them becoming the norm for a long time.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2015, 01:40 PM   #68
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry I haven't read the first two pages but to me
what happens if the police flag the car down for RBT, will it pull in.
What happens when the road is being repaired - three scenarios
1 - around the suburbs and detour signs are put up but as the car doesn't have a driver it can't see the detour signs
2 - lollipop men/women
3 - In the bush there can be sidetracks because of road works

I am sure the programmers have thought of this but it would be interesting to know the solution.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2015, 01:45 PM   #69
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDS69 View Post
Sorry I haven't read the first two pages but to me
what happens if the police flag the car down for RBT, will it pull in.
What happens when the road is being repaired - three scenarios
1 - around the suburbs and detour signs are put up but as the car doesn't have a driver it can't see the detour signs
2 - lollipop men/women
3 - In the bush there can be sidetracks because of road works

I am sure the programmers have thought of this but it would be interesting to know the solution.
That's the thing, there's infinite variables when driving. You can't pre program for all of them. The only way self driving cars could work is if they can think, learn and improvise for themselves. Which probably means a fully functioning AI, which is a long way away.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2015, 08:35 PM   #70
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Will they be like our iPad and get slower each year you own them?
Old 16-11-2015, 09:56 PM   #71
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty321 View Post
That's the thing, there's infinite variables when driving. You can't pre program for all of them. The only way self driving cars could work is if they can think, learn and improvise for themselves. Which probably means a fully functioning AI, which is a long way away.
I agree.
Roadworks and detours are one thing.
What about a scenario like 15 people at a bus stop on one side, 20 standing at the bus stop on the other side and then a child runs on to the road directly in front of you - which choice will the car make?
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2015, 12:59 AM   #72
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
What about a scenario like 15 people at a bus stop on one side, 20 standing at the bus stop on the other side and then a child runs on to the road directly in front of you - which choice will the car make?

In Carmageddon you scored bonuses for taking them all out.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2015, 09:10 AM   #73
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
How many people on AFF fly? My brother, who is the captain of a Jetstar A320, tells me the planes fly themselves for most of the journey. If people trust self-flying planes then self-driving cars should be no reason for concern.
This is the point I was going to raise. But you did it.

Seeing as 90% of accidents are actually some moron at fault it would actually be safer out there. If it got rid of people who are more interested in doing something else rather then control their motor vehicle it would be a good thing.

As long as they don't make driving a car illegal then I'm all for it.
Old 17-11-2015, 10:00 AM   #74
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With a plane, if something goes wrong there is always the human element to at least try and rectify the situation.

I just pictured myself sitting in the back of a self driven car taking selfies in Kenworth territory just as the software decided to go to sleep.. no more KFC for me.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2015, 10:28 AM   #75
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Yep, they're trustworthy!!!

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/google-sel...o-slow-1243850
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2015, 10:52 AM   #76
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
In Carmageddon you scored bonuses for taking them all out.
I know it well. I can still hear the squishy sounds when you did exactly that.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: