Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: How would you finance purchasing a car?
Purchasing cars using finance and/or other forms of credit is sheer lunacy 22 37.93%
Using credit to fund new car purchases is the only way to go 11 18.97%
Shut up and make me a tasty sandwich 25 43.10%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-11-2015, 10:33 PM   #1
Trump
bitch lasagne

Default Buying cars using credit/finance...

Apologies for the Hulk-esque thread and poll, but after a lively discussion with some clients of mine, I thought I'd present the topic to the forum.

Which would you choose and why.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2015, 10:43 PM   #2
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Buying cars using credit/finance...

Don't do it! You'll end up paying much more than the cars worth. I've seen so many people get caught in this trap

The only credit you should ever get is a mortgage.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2015, 10:46 PM   #3
Trump
bitch lasagne

I'm in the if you can't pay for it outright, don't buy it at all camp. I've never borrowed money to pay for a car nor leased one.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:55 PM   #4
nstg8a

We just financed a 2012 Subaru, finance certainly has it's downfalls but if you do your research and don't be a complete nong it's not that bad.

We got a reasonable interest rate, and will have it paid off over three years. Iirc total cost of finance was 27k.
Of course it won't be worth half that by the time it's paid for, but at the end of the day we wanted a safe reliable economical car.
Having just built our first house our savings certainly couldnt spread to a new car lol.

Finance isn't ideal, but sometimes a necessary evil.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2015, 10:57 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
I'm in the if you can't pay for it outright, don't buy it at all camp. I've never borrowed money to pay for a car nor leased one.
Same here, all my toys are 100% owned by me.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2015, 11:03 PM   #6
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Always paid full amount for my cars, new and second hand. Never leased or borrowed money. My rule is if I can't pay the full price, I don't buy it.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-11-2015, 11:27 PM   #7
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
Always paid full amount for my cars, new and second hand. Never leased or borrowed money. My rule is if I can't pay the full price, I don't buy it.
Exactly. If you can't afford to pay full price, you can't afford the car. Don't even let financing it come into mind, just forget it even exists.

There are odd cases where finance is okay (leasing for your company cars etc.), but in general avoid it. Even if you think you're getting a good bargain, it's just a case of getting a black eye instead of a broken jaw. It's a "good bargain" relatively speaking, but you're still loosing.

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"

5 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2015, 11:35 PM   #8
Trump
bitch lasagne

I contend that corporate leasing is worse than personal finance. It encourages a mindless throwaway mentality when it comes to items that most considered a luxury not all that long ago that had to be earned.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:42 PM   #9
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty321 View Post
Don't do it! You'll end up paying much more than the cars worth. I've seen so many people get caught in this trap

The only credit you should ever get is a mortgage.
While I agree with this let's assume you have a mortgage.

You put in extra payments and then decide you want a car.

You pull out your redraw and buy the car outright. Isn't this a form of credit?

I've done this with all my cars. While I do see myself as mortgage free sooner than my loan says I think it isn't bad to borrow money from yourself as long as you were the one to put it into the loan in the first place.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2015, 12:29 AM   #10
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Financed. Chattel mortgage and I claim back 100% of the GST in the BAS quarter. All my vehicles are purchased through my business and are claimed for taxation purposes.

I'd never buy a car with my own money, let alone pay cash. Now that's mad. You may as well set fire to a pile of $100 notes.
3 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2015, 12:47 AM   #11
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 Concorde View Post
Financed. Chattel mortgage and I claim back 100% of the GST in the BAS quarter. All my vehicles are purchased through my business and are claimed for taxation purposes.

I'd never buy a car with my own money, let alone pay cash. Now that's mad. You may as well set fire to a pile of $100 notes.
Well- I paid cash for my FGX, but claim 88% of all costs through my business, depreciation, all running costs, and 88% of GST in BAS.

Done this on my last few cars -pay cash- and I consider it very logical and better than financing through the business. The cost/benefit is no finance interest versus loss of investment profit on purchase price by not having that sum to invest, which is not much given investment returns these days.....

I think there is no one truth fits all- depends on your own circumstances as what purchase model fits best.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender

Last edited by asagaai; 10-11-2015 at 01:04 AM.
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2015, 01:15 AM   #12
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Well- I paid cash for my FGX, but claim 88% of all costs through my business, depreciation, all running costs, and 88% of GST in BAS.

Done this on my last few cars -pay cash- and I consider it very logical and better than financing through the business. The cost/benefit is no finance interest versus loss of investment profit on purchase price by not having that sum to invest, which is not much given investment returns these days.....

I think there is no one truth fits all- depends on your own circumstances as what purchase model fits best.
It'd make a better case for outright purchase if the government increased the instant asset write-off value from $20k to maybe $50-75k, then I wouldn't bother financing.

It's difficult to get suppliers to split invoices, no dealer wants to do it :(
Old 10-11-2015, 01:33 AM   #13
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I didn't realise we were talking about business people. Once you have a company/business then everything stops being black and white as tax write off and fancy accounting jargon with loopholes etc. comes into play. However, for the average wage/salary bloke, finance is almost never the right answer.

To Yellow Festiva. Your right, that would technically be financing but you wouldn't be getting ripped off at all. You'd just be extending your mortgage, as if the car was part of the house purchase. But to answer that I'd say live within your means and get something you can afford without finance. But if you really wanted to extend the mortgage and get a car, it best be a new car, cause then atleast you can argue the savings in maintenance costs (it's new, it won't break. And there's warranty) would offset the interest. But financing a used car is almost always a mistake.
EDIT : I just realised your talking about taking out money that you put into the mortgage as extra payments. That's perfectly fine. You're just taking back the extra money you put in. I'd hardly call that financing.

Last edited by Qwerty321; 10-11-2015 at 01:41 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2015, 01:34 AM   #14
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

It's ok if it's either tax deductible and or you keep it 3 or 4 years after its paid off..
I save have saved two tax returns from negative gearing to purchase cars...
I don't work all those hours anymore ..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2015, 01:38 AM   #15
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Used to pay cash now I finance, interest rates are barely above inflation now so for my circumstances wouldn't waste my time saving up when I could be putting that money into other things. Everyone is different.

5% loan on a $30,000 car is 30 bucks a week interest (for the first year, interest decreases as you pay down the principal), lot of people spend more than that on cigarettes, or Foxtel, alcohol, coffee, parking or the crazies in the capital cities on toll roads.

Last edited by Brazen; 10-11-2015 at 01:49 AM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2015, 03:34 AM   #16
MattSAU2XR8

Probably also important to consider whether you can justify the total running cost rather than just the finance cost. I've had old cars cost nearly as much as new cars and finance per km over a few years. If for example you were starting out early in your career and had a reasonable take home and got an i30 for about 20k on finance and drive 300 kms a week and it was aroud $150 per week to run, then the finance as per above might be $20 per week. But if this meant no headaches and you could concentrate on your work it might be worth it. Different if you used a loan to buy a $50k car at that point...
MattSAU2XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2015, 08:04 AM   #17
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 Concorde View Post

This is my biggest gripe about leasing. The government incentivises debt by giving tax deductions; its insanity, a tax break because debt was chosen over outright purchase.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:21 AM   #18
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

If it's tax-deductible OK, if not keep walking and get some exercise until you have saved the readies.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2015, 09:21 AM   #19
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive always part financed, paid a large deposit then finance the balance to keep the loan below the rough value of the car. I use this safety net as I get bored quick and am always selling. The only exception was my rio 2 years ago, I paid 21K from my home loan, that cash is gone. If I had of financed, that money would still be in my offset reducing interest daily.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 10-11-2015, 09:40 AM   #20
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

This thread is funny. Its like a fuel economy thread (petrol vs Diesel).

If your that money savy you wouldn't be buying a new car at all, the deprecation will hurt you more then interest. You wouldn't buy anything performance....and the you wouldn't waste money on modding the car.

A house mortgage will ream you more in interest then taking out a 5 year term on a car.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:49 AM   #21
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

When I bought the GTE, they were selling for around the $50k mark plus.....I got it for 20% less than that, but didn't have the cash, so took a loan to pay for it. At the end of the loan term, principle plus interest would've still been less than the value of the car at the time - as it turns out, the car has now been paid out so the interest I paid was only for 18 months, which was less than one ford service. (not quite, but nearly).

vztrt's point is spot on too, and funny!
Mods: Tune, ShockWorks and GT335 replicas in 19 x 8.5 & 9.5 35p offset with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, FG 19” Lux packs with 245/35/19 Toyo and Pirelli tyres, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2015, 09:52 AM   #22
DK30RB

Those of you who take cash and pay for your car out of your mortgage are mad... You will pay interest on that money for the life of the loan. Not many people are disciplined enough to put extra payments into their loan to pay out the amount used on the car early. Effectively you are borrowing money at your mortgage interest rate over 25 - 30 years. (depending on how long you have to go). Crazy..

Put or leave all your cash into paying off your mortgage.

I have my own business, and have a chattel mortgage on my car. By the time i claim depreciation, interest, fees, running costs out of the business PRE TAX, there isn't too much of an advantage to paying for it outright when you can put the cash to better use.
DK30RB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2015, 11:14 AM   #23
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK30RB View Post
Those of you who take cash and pay for your car out of your mortgage are mad... You will pay interest on that money for the life of the loan. Not many people are disciplined enough to put extra payments into their loan to pay out the amount used on the car early. Effectively you are borrowing money at your mortgage interest rate over 25 - 30 years. (depending on how long you have to go). Crazy..

Put or leave all your cash into paying off your mortgage.

I have my own business, and have a chattel mortgage on my car. By the time i claim depreciation, interest, fees, running costs out of the business PRE TAX, there isn't too much of an advantage to paying for it outright when you can put the cash to better use.
Yes, but that is for the people who actually follow the terms of the loan. In that case they probably have minimal redraw anyway and will need to refinance to access equity.

I wonder what the percentage is for people who pay a mortgage as per the terms of the loan?

10%?? If that? If it was more than 10% I would be shocked actually!

I don't know anyone (including myself) that has kept a home loan longer than 3-4 years actually.

If you are using your own redraw than it obviously means that you have made an effort to chip away at the loan at a much faster rate than the terms that were agreed to.

If you use redraw you are using your own savings, bypassing a new credit application, bypassing higher insurance, bypassing fees and charges, bypassing your inability to negotiate a lower 'cash' price and allowing you to pay your car off at your own terms.

Serious question. Anyone here ever had a 25yr / 30yr / 20yr mortgage and actually pay the minimum and take the whole term?????

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2015, 11:37 AM   #24
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
This thread is funny. Its like a fuel economy thread (petrol vs Diesel).

If your that money savy you wouldn't be buying a new car at all, the deprecation will hurt you more then interest. You wouldn't buy anything performance....and the you wouldn't waste money on modding the car.

A house mortgage will ream you more in interest then taking out a 5 year term on a car.
You've got a point there. People like me would probably never buy a first car, just cause a part of me will always say "wait a couple years and get it way cheaper". That said, if I was pulling in a 6 digit salary and had money to literally throw away, I'm heading straight to that Ford Dealership and getting me a new GTP

Old 10-11-2015, 11:49 AM   #25
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Used to pay cash now I finance, interest rates are barely above inflation now so for my circumstances wouldn't waste my time saving up when I could be putting that money into other things. Everyone is different.

5% loan on a $30,000 car is 30 bucks a week interest (for the first year, interest decreases as you pay down the principal), lot of people spend more than that on cigarettes, or Foxtel, alcohol, coffee, parking or the crazies in the capital cities on toll roads.
Exactly what I think.
I know of some people who have got stupid things like 18% interest rates on car loan in the last few years, that's not a great decision. But with all the the low rates especially on new cars, it not that bad to finance.

You see these ads for 1-3% finance on new cars, I am currently getting almost 3% interest rate on my savings account.
Id rather have 30k earning interest in my savings while paying 1-2% interest on a 30k car loan, as long as there are no balloon payments at the end.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2015, 12:03 PM   #26
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Also owning an older car outright that has higher running costs is effectively the same thing, may as well have a new car.

I used to be of the opinion that yes, if you cant afford it then dont buy it; but its not that simple.

I too wouldnt throw it on the home loan unless you 100% dedicate funds to paying it off ASAP.

I know have a company car and it takes a % if my income, I am looking at returning it and leasing my own because id rather drive something I want and pay for it than be forced to take a POS Hilux.

I also used to think leasing was cheating, because some people would crow on about how they have so much cash when really they dont. But if it works from a Tax perspective then IMO play the game, thats why its there.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2015, 12:27 PM   #27
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is not one size fits all.

If you are in a high cashflow / volatile business you'd have to have rocks in your head to drop cash on a depreciating asset. Keep cash for emergency, lease car.

I'd imagine very few, if any, successfull business owners would buy cars outright (with exception to classic hobby cars)
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2015, 01:13 PM   #28
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What jobs are you people doing that you can have over a million saved in cash before you turn 20 to buy your first house?

I dont know anyone, or of anyone, who has bought their house outright.

I understand the thread is about cars, but people have said 'if you cant pay cash you cant afford it' etc
STEALTHY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2015, 02:25 PM   #29
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I dont buy new cars so i save the depriciation immediately, then i weigh up the situation as to wether finance is worth it.

I recently bought a BF Egas wagon, prior to that i had an 01 R50 Pathfinder which set me back $80pw in fuel and comprehensive insurance.

After carving out a deal with the dealer and my finance guy i got the wagon in the driveway for $60pw inc. insurance and its costing me $30pw for gas.

So in real world terms, its costing me $10pw more to own an 8 year younger car with 200k less kilometers.
Only difference is, instead of giving $40pw to BP im giving $50pw to a bank.

Having said all that, i considered flogging the R50 and just walking, i'd save a ******** of coin...then it rained.
True story!
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2015, 03:31 PM   #30
XG_Falcon

I would never buy a vehicle under finance but I understand why some people do. For example, my mate has just got a new Focus under finance because his wife is pregnant and her old Laser was a bit of a death trap.

In their case, it's almost like an investment because safety is the primary concern. It made sense for them as there was no way they could afford such a modern car outright. Something to consider I guess.
XG_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post