Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 09:35 AM   #31
The Monty
Just slidin'

Default Re: 0-100km/h what's considered fast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Seems to be around the 4.5 second mark.

Wow, what tyres are you running? that hooked nearly like an AWD? A tuned Coyote will have difficulty catching that due to extreme loss of traction on standard tyres. Seems the ZF 6HP26 has a one-second delay shifting, as it clearly lost momentum at around 60kph (1st to 2nd). Perhaps with a DSG gearbox, the Barra turbo could do 3.5 0-100kph.
Achilles 123S. 2.2 6ft, so only soft off the line. Once it gets to second its foot down and away we go! It was a pretty quick car 60-140.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:32 AM   #32
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I remember when HSV used to advertise "welcome to the 5 second club" and it wasn't all that long ago really. Quite mediocre by today's standards. In the last few years, 4 seconds seems to have replaced 5 seconds as the benchmark for a brisk sedan. Some of these new German flagships going sub-4 are incredible, although I doubt you'd repeat the numbers on your average street surface, AWD or not.

And generally I think 0-100 is an outdated measure. With cars as quick as they are today, you end up splitting hairs trying to compare them over such a small window. 0-160 (100mph) is a better base for comparison. Plenty of these rigs start to run out of puff beyond 100.
True not all companies are honest about the capabilities of their product and HSV is a good example of cars that are found wanting.

But if you get on the Forums for the German cars you’ll find that many of the factory stock times the manufacturers quote are replicated by their owners and in many cases even faster on prepared tracks.

In a nutshell the reason being is how well the Germans design their cars to deliver their power on acceleration.

Unlike some of the cheaper high performance cars that come with a lot of HP but tend to tear the tyres from the rims and won’t hook up unless you are highly skilled at launching them.

The same goes for the Germans ability to reach high speeds as they build in some aero to closer match the car’s performance capabilities.

That’s not to say cars like those from FPV and HSV are not powerful and quick as their in line power will blow some performance Euros away, it just a matter of the difference in the amount of money that is involved in their R&D.

These are some of the things your over inflated price tag pays for when purchasing German performance.

And as much as it may get up the nose of some people the 0-100 time is still a relevant selling factor for many manufacturers and it does indicate the engineering credentials of the vehicle if not the overall performance capabilities, much like being fast in a straight line doesn’t make you quick through a corner.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:34 PM   #33
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well it doesnt really show the overall performance capabilities , it really just shows the capability of getting 0 to a 100, over the years we have seen many cars make quick 0 to 100 then fall off as speed rises down the quarter mile.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:40 PM   #34
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Most Ranger owners seem to think around 10 seconds is fast.
5 users like this post:
Old 02-11-2015, 04:04 PM   #35
78xcgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Seems to be around the 4.5 second mark.

Wow, what tyres are you running? that hooked nearly like an AWD? A tuned Coyote will have difficulty catching that due to extreme loss of traction on standard tyres. Seems the ZF 6HP26 has a one-second delay shifting, as it clearly lost momentum at around 60kph (1st to 2nd). Perhaps with a DSG gearbox, the Barra turbo could do 3.5 0-100kph.

Definitely fast, i timed 3.9 secs. I reckon the ZF is best left in performance mode, does a better job that way.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:21 PM   #36
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
well it doesnt really show the overall performance capabilities , it really just shows the capability of getting 0 to a 100, over the years we have seen many cars make quick 0 to 100 then fall off as speed rises down the quarter mile.
What cars are you talking about?
Old 02-11-2015, 06:35 PM   #37
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
It is not bad for a 2t diesel.

Anything under 6sec i think isn't bad. Under 5 is proper modern day performance figures
Old 02-11-2015, 06:45 PM   #38
XG_Falcon

5 seconds... that's Aurion fast
Old 02-11-2015, 06:55 PM   #39
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Do people still use Go Pro's to check their 0-100 times or is there an app you can download?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 02-11-2015, 07:17 PM   #40
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Do people still use Go Pro's to check their 0-100 times or is there an app you can download?
Judging by the plethora of 3.5-4 second falcons and commodores you can use a watch from the $2 shop and a good eye.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
Old 02-11-2015, 07:39 PM   #41
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3 View Post
Judging by the plethora of 3.5-4 second falcons and commodores you can use a watch from the $2 shop and a good eye.
Wonder what these stop watches go for on Ebay?

I am just wondering if these times claimed on here are done properly with a specific gated setup similar to a rally car race, a go pro device or judged on a 'bumometer' and a mates stopwatch app on his phone?

Obviously everyone's answer will be dependent on the amount of salt grains I need to add to their claimed times.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 03-11-2015, 03:46 PM   #42
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
What cars are you talking about?
too many to name , but a very good example is too look at a lot of the performance cars over the years , look at their 0 to a 100 times then look at the quarter mile time and speed , it becomes very obvious that by comparing these that some cars make up an enormous amount of ground between 100 kph and terminal speed and getting off the mark was a big problem for them.
you can compare a sporty 4wd with a muscle car , and the muscle car may get killed to 100 kph , but by the quarters end the muscle has either completly caught up or passed the sporty 4wd drive............ and that shows full picture.

if i wanted too i could get my beat up 15 year old xr6 to do a 0 to a 100 in 4 seconds(maybe faster ) without any hotting up of the engine through better gearing big tyres and making it lighter , it would probably only do 80 mph and would probably break something in a short time , and would be shat upon by everything after that , but 0 to 100 would be very impressive , so you see what i mean , while 0 to 100 is a good indicator of a fast take off , on its own it really means richard.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:52 PM   #43
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
too many to name , but a very good example is too look at a lot of the performance cars over the years , look at their 0 to a 100 times then look at the quarter mile time and speed , it becomes very obvious that by comparing these that some cars make up an enormous amount of ground between 100 kph and terminal speed and getting off the mark was a big problem for them.
you can compare a sporty 4wd with a muscle car , and the muscle car may get killed to 100 kph , but by the quarters end the muscle has either completly caught up or passed the sporty 4wd drive............ and that shows full picture.

if i wanted too i could get my beat up 15 year old xr6 to do a 0 to a 100 in 4 seconds(maybe faster ) without any hotting up of the engine through better gearing big tyres and making it lighter , it would probably only do 80 mph and would probably break something in a short time , and would be shat upon by everything after that , but 0 to 100 would be very impressive , so you see what i mean , while 0 to 100 is a good indicator of a fast take off , on its own it really means richard.
I take an interest in cars and I’m scratching my head so with your too many to name a little help would be appreciated.

By the way your XR6 is not a performance car and therefore it’s understandable why it falls in a hole after take-off but we are not talking about mum’s grocery shopper modded with tyres, diff gears and lightened, most here are talking about proper performance cars that do have the power to go on with it and if you use some of those Euros that express listed as an example you aren’t honestly saying those quick launch times are going to be followed by a dud run.

Those cars are designed to launch and go, the Fords and Holdens are designed to go and usually need some aftermarket help to become good at launching as well.

I believe you’ve made a broad statement that no longer applies to many true performance sedans but if you can name some I’ll bow to your knowledge.

0 to 100 km/h may not be the is all and end all of true performance but it still plays a big part in reviews and marketing and in most cases it does give a good general indication of what level of performance you can expect from the car.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:18 PM   #44
1970galaxie
Fat 460

In my younger days in the mid '70s, I had an XW ute with a 3.6 and 3 speed with Impala shifter.
Thought it was pretty hot at the time, until I timed it with a stop watch to 60mph in Scarborough Beach carpark. Was around 14 seconds.
2003 BA XR8 Ute. Blood Orange. 5.4/5 speed.
2006 Territory Turbo. Silhouette. 4.0/6 speed auto.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:43 PM   #45
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

New ranger does 0-100 in 11 seconds. I thought that was pretty slow but punters seem to think they haul ***. The new Hilux is a slug at 13.0 but they'll still sell millions of them to ISIS.
3 users like this post:
Old 03-11-2015, 06:48 PM   #46
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
New ranger does 0-100 in 11 seconds. I thought that was pretty slow but punters seem to think they haul ***. The new Hilux is a slug at 13.0 but they'll still sell millions of them to ISIS.
I consider anything below 8 to be good/somewhat fast, anything sub 6 to be fast and below 4 is just amazing. Looking at all these times people are posting though, my scale might need an update
Old 03-11-2015, 06:52 PM   #47
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
I take an interest in cars and I’m scratching my head so with your too many to name a little help would be appreciated.

By the way your XR6 is not a performance car and therefore it’s understandable why it falls in a hole after take-off but we are not talking about mum’s grocery shopper modded with tyres, diff gears and lightened, most here are talking about proper performance cars that do have the power to go on with it and if you use some of those Euros that express listed as an example you aren’t honestly saying those quick launch times are going to be followed by a dud run.

Those cars are designed to launch and go, the Fords and Holdens are designed to go and usually need some aftermarket help to become good at launching as well.

I believe you’ve made a broad statement that no longer applies to many true performance sedans but if you can name some I’ll bow to your knowledge.

0 to 100 km/h may not be the is all and end all of true performance but it still plays a big part in reviews and marketing and in most cases it does give a good general indication of what level of performance you can expect from the car.
of course my xr6 is not in the race , it was merely an example showing that 0 to 100 is only a part of performance criteria and on its own greatly over used as a performance yard stick imo.
an easy example if my grey cells are still working, i think without even looking back through archives would be a wrx and any performance falcon , of the same era, the rex is quite quick over all and quick off the line , but the big horsepower of the henry in the higher speeds has it pegging him back .
it may not be as prominent now with these modern bangers having 7 and 8
speed gearboxes , but if you believe 0 to a 100 is the be all of performance , i will have to disagree, a lot of powerful cars dont really start to motor until they get over 100 kliks per hour.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:01 PM   #48
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
of course my xr6 is not in the race , it was merely an example showing that 0 to 100 is only a part of performance criteria and on its own greatly over used as a performance yard stick imo.

an easy example if my grey cells are still working, i think without even looking back through archives would be a wrx and any performance falcon , of the same era, the rex is quite quick over all and quick off the line , but the big horsepower of the henry in the higher speeds has it pegging him back .

it may not be as prominent now with these modern bangers having 7 and 8

speed gearboxes , but if you believe 0 to a 100 is the be all of performance , i will have to disagree, a lot of powerful cars dont really start to motor until they get over 100 kliks per hour.

Would you suggest 100-200 is a better gauge of performance? How Would your XR go in that race?
Old 03-11-2015, 07:12 PM   #49
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

TBH 100 is about the mark I would want to do a rolling start from. . .You know for traction problems.

#turbosixtorqueisboss

Friend has a R32 GTR that can effortlessly turn 4 wheels at 100-110 though .

As for the original OP I mean fast for who? Some of us will not find 0-100 fast until the 4-5 second bracket. Personally I think 4-5 is quick but as I can do it every day I guess I dont think its 'that quick' anymore? The 3-4 bracket requires sooo much more and IMO that is very very fast.

However others and majority of drivers will still think 5-7 seconds is pretty quick because in all honesty it is, its just are cars have developed so much that even a camry can almost squeeze in there.

Last edited by 99AUXR; 03-11-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:21 PM   #50
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR View Post
TBH 100 is about the mark I would want to do a rolling start from. . .You know for traction problems.

#turbosixtorqueisboss

Friend has a R32 GTR that can effortlessly turn 4 wheels at 100-110 though .

As for the original OP I mean fast for who? Some of us will not find 0-100 fast until the 4-5 second bracket. Personally I think 4-5 is quick but as I can do it every day I guess I dont think its 'that quick' anymore? The 3-4 bracket requires sooo much more and IMO that is very very fast.

However others and majority of drivers will still think 5-7 seconds is pretty quick because in all honesty it is, its just are cars have developed so much that even a AURION can almost squeeze in there.
Fixed

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
5 users like this post:
Old 03-11-2015, 08:05 PM   #51
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Would you suggest 100-200 is a better gauge of performance? How Would your XR go in that race?
0 - 160 is a familiar benchmark. You know that one?

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 03-11-2015, 08:22 PM   #52
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think it would because traction would be less of an issue,
my xr goes alright for a family hack, but it's a stock 15 year old 4 speed auto, so I have no delusions that it would be like my horse at the Melbourne cup.......... Still running. ; ).
Old 03-11-2015, 09:12 PM   #53
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Fixed
Cheers bro better you than hulk coming back from the grave to correct me
4 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2015, 01:48 PM   #54
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
Especially since they can only do 12-13 secs
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Old 04-11-2015, 08:30 PM   #55
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think it would because traction would be less of an issue,

my xr goes alright for a family hack, but it's a stock 15 year old 4 speed auto, so I have no delusions that it would be like my horse at the Melbourne cup.......... Still running. ; ).

You'd need a calendar to measure your cars 100-200 times. So I think 0-100 is plenty relevant for comparing real world performance.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:41 PM   #56
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You'd need a calendar to measure your cars 100-200 times. So I think 0-100 is plenty relevant for comparing real world performance.
yes i would need a calendar, but again i would totally disagree on the 0 to 100 being the only yard stick for performance, but hey ....... we will agree to disagree : ).
This user likes this post:
Old 04-11-2015, 08:58 PM   #57
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I never said it's the only yard stick. Only that it is relevant for a real world comparison.
You're just not happy with it because most rice burners will smoke your taxi.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:09 PM   #58
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I never said it's the only yard stick. Only that it is relevant for a real world comparison.
You're just not happy with it because most rice burners will smoke your taxi.
You seem to be trying to get a response from me because my taxi is slow ? which i fully admitted from the very first post, yes i know a camry with a flat tyre or hundai getz even without the canon tip would probably smoke my old taxi, no dispute from me,
however i still stick to my original opinion , that 0 to a hundred k`s is very much only half a performance comparison and at times quite misleading when looking at the full quarter or performance in top end.
I will leave it there .
This user likes this post:
Old 04-11-2015, 09:18 PM   #59
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you'd have the Getz covered. No so sure about the Camry sadly.
I think 0-100 is the most relevant comparison because I'm generally not accelerating past that speed and 0-100 gives you a good feel of how the car runs. I've driven thousands of cars and in 99.9% of cars the parties over at 100km/h.
But I haven't driven a super or hyper car.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:37 PM   #60
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Especially since they can only do 12-13 secs
yeah those 4 cylinder ones aren't the quickest thing on the road.
Closed Thread