Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-01-2017, 08:17 PM   #1
xr8cam

Default Oil filter tip.

Not often I remove the oil filter without spilling some so last time I put a plastic bag over the filter before removal. Use caution with hot oil.
xr8cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
10 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2017, 01:48 PM   #2
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 
Default Re: Oil filter tip.

Such a simple idea to save a lot of mess! Thank you!

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2017, 07:27 PM   #3
Aulpgute

Good tip. Another is with an upside down filter (where thread/seal face the ground and back of filter body faces up) is to use a screwdriver to punch a few holes in the top and leave it to drain dry whilst you drop the oil in the sump. By the time it's drained and finished dripping the filter should be dry and come off without dripping oil down it's mounting adaptor.
Aulpgute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-01-2017, 07:56 PM   #4
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulpgute View Post
Good tip. Another is with an upside down filter (where thread/seal face the ground and back of filter body faces up) is to use a screwdriver to punch a few holes in the top and leave it to drain dry whilst you drop the oil in the sump. By the time it's drained and finished dripping the filter should be dry and come off without dripping oil down it's mounting adaptor.
That sound like a good idea, thats the way the filter is in my boat and you get a small amount of oil end up in the bilge when you remove the filter after draining the rest. Getting the drain oil hose for the motor out of the bung hole (where the bung plugs go, nothing rude) isn't a fun job, but that's a tangent so I'll leave that there. If a filter is on tighter then you can get it off with even a tool and are desperate enough, it's messy, but if you belt a long screw driver through one side and out the other then use it as a lever, not ideal, but it works. I'm yet to have any leaks or issues with a smear on the gasket and hand tight on my filters.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2017, 11:25 AM   #5
vbvbvb088
vbvbvb088

Plus I place oil filler cap in bonnet latch grille area straight off so u cant close bonnet..reminder to put oil in.
vbvbvb088 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2017, 01:42 PM   #6
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

While we are on the subject of oil tips... Here's one for the dipstick ...

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...&postcount=106
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2017, 02:18 PM   #7
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbvbvb088 View Post
Plus I place oil filler cap in bonnet latch grille area straight off so u cant close bonnet..reminder to put oil in.
Except the bonnet stays up while you start the motor to allow the oil to fill the new filter and reach normal oil pressure, then after switching off you should check the oil level which normally requires more oil to be added to get it back up to the correct level. Also need to check for any leaks at the filter. So the bonnet isn't closed until all this is completed.

Better to put the keys well away from the car while working on it, so you can't start it inadvertently in the meantime.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2017, 05:51 PM   #8
vbvbvb088
vbvbvb088

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
Except the bonnet stays up while you start the motor to allow the oil to fill the new filter and reach normal oil pressure, then after switching off you should check the oil level which normally requires more oil to be added to get it back up to the correct level. Also need to check for any leaks at the filter. So the bonnet isn't closed until all this is completed.

Better to put the keys well away from the car while working on it, so you can't start it inadvertently in the meantime.
I agree...but at least you have done the initial fill which is safe.
vbvbvb088 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2017, 06:57 PM   #9
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I use a coke bottle, just cut the bottom off and then a section out of one side then loosen the filter, slip the bottle up over the filter and continue to turn it via the cut out section and all oil and filter will drop down into the bottle.
Then I undo the bottle lid and let it all drain out into an empty oil bottle from a previous service and its all good.
Then I just bag the filter at the end.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2017, 10:56 PM   #10
xr8cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I use a coke bottle, just cut the bottom off and then a section out of one side then loosen the filter, slip the bottle up over the filter and continue to turn it via the cut out section and all oil and filter will drop down into the bottle.
Then I undo the bottle lid and let it all drain out into an empty oil bottle from a previous service and its all good.
Then I just bag the filter at the end.
Now that's thinking!
Old 20-01-2017, 12:10 AM   #11
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXRSIX View Post
While we are on the subject of oil tips... Here's one for the dipstick ...

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...&postcount=106
I've done similar in the past, but filed a slight V in the edge of the dipstick at the low & full marks.

Some cars have neat little holes drilled to indicate min/max.

With the FG I've always angled it to get the reflected light off the shiny oil, and when holding it at this angle, the cross-hatching is quite clear - but I do have good eyesight (with glasses on).
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2017, 02:06 AM   #12
xr8cam

Yep...I'm waiting on my glasses atm (long sighted) and all of these fiddly things are now a pain. This is a great idea. You reckon the Ford sticks are bad, my wifes Subaru's stick is one dark colour with tiny holes drilled in it. two high & two low holes on the stick. A more contrived reading I couldn't think of.