Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 06-04-2014, 04:39 PM   #1
Misskit
Starter Motor

Smile 2008 TDCI 96KW v 2010 TDCI 120kw

Hello ,
Now my limited understanding from the research I have done , including asking my ford dealer service manager .. .(who had no idea), is that the difference between these two models is mere engine mapping..

My understanding is that this engine is decades old re design and in its initial offerring to australian buyers was at its one of its least stressed power formats..

in its next model update offering they update the engine ( no we won t ell you its just a computer management upgrade) and give it .,.. ooohh ahh 25% more power

so I want that ... do i go some 3rd party chip/module-- racechip / bluefin ... or go to ford and say remap my black beast mondeo with the later model map and voila 120 kw.. --

love some advice on experience and knowledge about this guys my premeptive thoughts are that im a sceptic about the chips/modules

my baby has 120000 klms, running potenza's (wear a little quickly)
around mid 5's per litre country (main k's )-- 6-7 ish city(low k'\s)

tks in advance
miss kit

Misskit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2014, 11:43 PM   #2
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Default Re: 2008 TDCI 96KW v 2010 TDCI 120kw

Hi misskit

It's not an easy just flash it to the later model and you're done kinda of affair, but there is already a good read about it on mondeo's:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ht=diesel+chip
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-04-2014, 06:26 PM   #3
burnz
VFII SS UTE

i'll take a guess, and say one had a 3000 RPM limit the other has 4000 RPM limit.

so it would be a governor, mechanical or software is the question.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-04-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
Misskit
Starter Motor

Thanks guys, my lap top has died an now im on a Mac... arggh almost like driving a holden ..

thread recommended to be honest has little merit - there are many threads on the web dealing with chips and none appear conclusive either way im afraid..

my simple understanding is that a full remap is likely to be the only difference between the models (though that may make a chip potentially all that is needed) -- otherwise where do i go to find out about the hardware changes the engine .... pistons , injectors, but I don't think they Ford invested or went that path... oh well sadly granpa has passed away and he was our ex formula one mechanic and I cant ask him .,. was worth a try .. take care all
Misskit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2016, 09:47 AM   #5
Binny

I was searching for something else and came across this.
Thought I would add to it in case anyone was looking for the difference between the 96 and 120kw versions.
It is definitely not just a different tune or mechanical limit. I'll look for it later as I don't have time now but one of the press releases when the 120 came out listed the changes as higher fuel pressure, different turbo, different shaped combustion chambers and I think the compression ratio was changed as well.
I know from experience that the 120 makes torque a lot lower as well. The 100kw version I had before was dead under 2000rpm whereas the 120 spools up a lot sooner.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:01 PM   #6
Binny

Here it is.
From http://www.themotorreport.com.au/502...-debut-planned