Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 17-05-2016, 09:50 AM   #1
manchu

Default Service and Inspection before Stat. Wty up.

I recently bought a MC TDCI (2012 Zetec Wagon, 72kkm) from a Mazda dealer which is now due for the 75kkm service. I'm wondering what to get done at the service considering history, and what extra I should ask to get looked at. I want to be confident any potential issues are caught before the Stat. Warranty on the car is up (15/6).

History:

- Oil & filter change by dealer @ 72,000km, pre delivery. Not sure of oil spec.

- Transmission fault @ 72,500km. Mechatronic unit was replaced by Ford and fluid changed.

- After purchase I spoke to the RACV service centre that did 45kkm (incl. brake fluid) & 60kkm service and was told that although book was stamped the owner requested bare minimum only. So I assume oil changes only.

- Water in fuel detected once @ 74,000km. Fuel Filter replaced asap by Mazda.

- Engine seems to have a light intermittent rattle under load in low gears.This is the only TDCI I've driven so this could be normal, so I'd like an expert opinion.

- Fuel consumption seems a little high. 7.4l/100km for my commute (10km med. traffic + 20km of clear freeway). I'm not particularly heavy footed and my previous car (maz 6) would give spot on published combined consumption. Wondering if this is sign of something not right.

Thoughts and questions:

- Oil/Filter. Should be OK to leave until 90kkm

- Air filter. May have been missed at 60kkm so should I ask to inspect and replace if necessary, or just ask to replace regardless?

- Glow Plugs. No idea. ('B' service mentions Spark plug renew).

- Do all other 'A' service checks. (except fuel filter drain & oil/filter change)

- Do 3yr AC system check

- Do 4yr Cooling system check

I've got an independent mechanic I've used for ~8yrs, but he's not overly familiar with Mondeos so I think it may be best to go to ford this time. Mostly because if Ford find a warranty issue the Mazda dealer is less likely to question.

Thanks for any advice. applogies for the long post
manchu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2016, 12:07 PM   #2
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Service and Inspection before Stat. Wty up.

Take your car to Ford for servicing, they are the experts...
Old 17-05-2016, 12:56 PM   #3
Trump
bitch lasagne

Whilst there are some good Ford dealers (both from a sales and service perspective), far too many of them come across as mouth breathing droolers.

As a rough guide, definitely change the oil and oil filter, along with the fuel filter and air filter element. Then have the EGR system checked (and cleaned if necessary). It can cause fuel economy and performance to suffer. This is what I'm referring to:

And a small article about EGR blockages:

http://www.hypermiler.co.uk/egr-valv...-valve-egr-faq

PS. Diesels don't have spark plugs.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2016, 01:38 PM   #4
manchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
Whilst there are some good Ford dealers (both from a sales and service perspective), far too many of them come across as mouth breathing droolers.

I've booked in to Courtney & Patterson in melb. Hopefully they're one of the good ones!. I took it to them briefly (for fault code check) when I had DCT issues and they seemed OK.

Quote:
As a rough guide, definitely change the oil and oil filter, along with the fuel filter and air filter element. Then have the EGR system checked
If oil changed 3000km ago was right spec then I reckon I'll wait until 90,000km to change again. By that time it'll be 18,000km between changes...should be fine?

Fuel filter done a few weeks ago

Air filter...not sure so I reckon I'll just get it done. Part cost from ford is $40 so if they open up to check they may aswell change it.

Thanks for the EGR system tip. Seems strange that it isn't mentioned in Service Guide (that I can see).

How about the cooling and AC system checks?

Quote:
PS. Diesels don't have spark plugs.
I do know that, but wasn't sure whether the glow plugs ever need replacing? They do have glow plugs right?

cheers
Old 17-05-2016, 01:56 PM   #5
Trump
bitch lasagne

Yes, they do have glow plugs

I would still change the oil and filter, simply for peace of mind. And the EGR should be a part of the maintenance schedule, having it cleaned every 30,000km as part of the service will save headaches later.
Old 17-05-2016, 02:01 PM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Perhaps change the oil and filter just to be safe? I would have personally left it a little longer if it is only 3,000km old.

Have you any documentation of the tranny work? They aint cheap to fix! I would get a receipt stating what was done and what warranty that repair holds.

My Focus (with the same engine)??? had coolant stated in the book as a 10 year item if memory serves.

Air filter - again your call. These are easy to inspect but if like the Focus you will need a tool to open the box, it has clips as well as small hex bolts.

Perhaps run some of that new fangled 'cleaning diesel' through a few tanks with a diesel injector cleaner??

I just got a quote from Mitsubishi to do some sort of diesel head cleaner - was near $300! Told em to leave it for the moment.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2016, 02:35 PM   #7
manchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Perhaps change the oil and filter just to be safe? I would have personally left it a little longer if it is only 3,000km old.

Have you any documentation of the tranny work? They aint cheap to fix! I would get a receipt stating what was done and what warranty that repair holds.
Probably will change oil/filter. Was tempted to leave the service a bit longer, but I want to stick to logbook intervals and want to get it looked over before the stat warranty is up in a month.

Yep..got a copy of the invoice that Ford gave Mazda for tranny work (1 x element & Gasket, 1 x mechatronic unit, 7L DCT fluid, lots o labour). Doesn't mentionswarranty on invoice but I've been told it's 1 yr.
Old 17-05-2016, 05:38 PM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchu View Post
Probably will change oil/filter. Was tempted to leave the service a bit longer, but I want to stick to logbook intervals and want to get it looked over before the stat warranty is up in a month.

Yep..got a copy of the invoice that Ford gave Mazda for tranny work (1 x element & Gasket, 1 x mechatronic unit, 7L DCT fluid, lots o labour). Doesn't mentionswarranty on invoice but I've been told it's 1 yr.
I wonder what the cost of that work would have been?!?!

With the oil - as soon as you change it it will be as black as what just came out.

I called Ford after returning home from a service and assumed they forgot to change the oil.

I wonder if there is any merit in dumping the oil, then putting in 5L of cheap stuff ($10) just to get it through the engine and dumping that before putting in whatever is needed.

A bottle of 'engine oil flush' costs about the same!

This user likes this post:
Old 17-05-2016, 05:43 PM   #9
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
I wonder what the cost of that work would have been?!?!

With the oil - as soon as you change it it will be as black as what just came out.

I called Ford after returning home from a service and assumed they forgot to change the oil.

I wonder if there is any merit in dumping the oil, then putting in 5L of cheap stuff ($10) just to get it through the engine and dumping that before putting in whatever is needed.

I reckon its the best way of cleaning out the oil galleries.
Old 17-05-2016, 05:46 PM   #10
manchu

Quote:
I wonder what the cost of that work would have been?
Parts $2050
Fluid $280
Labour $1000

Maybe some dealer to dealer mates rates in those prices though.
Old 17-05-2016, 08:24 PM   #11
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Probably get them if they are able to, to update any ECU/PCM firmware. Not many can or want to. But worth pushing. Get them to check steering/suspension/body/brakes. It's handy to know how much pad is left to give you a heads up in replacement orders.

Quote:

no need for that mucking around, and I'd like to know where this supposedly cheap stuff is, pretty much all 5W30 Low SAPS is up there in the price range. What's more beneficial is doing changes as per the service interval and no longer. They all have detergents and great holding/suspension properties so that when you've dropped the oil the bulk containments are gone with it.

I'd wait your 3K kms then do it. It's not like it's currently related to a problem. It's not like statute warranty covers servicing either. May as well wait.

One good tip: When the statute is up find a good workshop ( or DIY if capable) and begin your assault on fluids and oils systematically (when time/funds/other allows) refresh them all. Get on top of any maintenance from the get go. Should start you off on the right foot.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2016, 09:04 PM   #12
manchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrin View Post

I'd wait your 3K kms then do it. It's not like it's currently related to a problem. It's not like statute warranty covers servicing either. May as well wait.
I've hit 75kkm so service is actually due now. The oil change was pre delivery (3000km ago) when Mazda dealer got RWC done (standard for all their used cars apparently).

Sure, servicing isnt covered by stat warranty (I'm getting serviced at different dealer anyway) but thinking it's good to get done while still covered and get a thorough inspection in case there's any lurking issues that may be covered.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 18-05-2016, 10:38 AM   #13
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
no need for that mucking around, and I'd like to know where this supposedly cheap stuff is, pretty much all 5W30 Low SAPS is up there in the price range. What's more beneficial is doing changes as per the service interval and no longer. They all have detergents and great holding/suspension properties so that when you've dropped the oil the bulk containments are gone with it.
No, I don't think you understood what I meant. Use a cheaper oil as a flush while you are getting a service at the same time.

Put the car on the hoist, dump old oil, fill with cheap oil, get to temp then dump that before putting in whatever correct oil is specified.

SCA has Shell Helix HX5 15-40 on special for $14.88

Big W sells 5L of 20-50 for $15 normal price

Seen it cheaper still when there is a sale on.

Last edited by Yellow_Festiva; 18-05-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 18-05-2016, 03:07 PM   #14
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No, I don't think you understood what I meant. Use a cheaper oil as a flush while you are getting a service at the same time.

Put the car on the hoist, dump old oil, fill with cheap oil, get to temp then dump that before putting in whatever correct oil is specified.

SCA has Shell Helix HX5 15-40 on special for $14.88

Big W sells 5L of 20-50 for $15 normal price

Seen it cheaper still when there is a sale on.
For an MC Mondeo running with appropriate oil changed at the appropriate interval I'd say there's something very wrong if a flush with cheap oil removes anything more than the dregs of the previous oil.

Last edited by rondeo; 18-05-2016 at 03:28 PM. Reason: correction
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2016, 07:27 PM   #15
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Talking Re: Service and Inspection before Stat. Wty up.

Quote:
Manchu has a TDCI not petrol though.

On another note, Supercheap have a clearance sale on, 10L of Nulon low saps 5W30 is currently ~$93 (usually $109), I finally had an opportunity to use a $50 gift card I've been hoarding for 7mths. 2 containers should do for a while.

also found a 12-24V Single Slim usb socket (2.1A rated) for $13 I'm gonna chance it to hardwire my dashcam. Already have a quailty 2m usb cable (hopefully is enough length) and fuse tap, just need to find an earth which shouldn't be hard.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2016, 08:48 PM   #16
manchu

dealer has confirmed oil put in at 72kkm was 5W30, so I'm undecided whether to just leave it until 90kkm service, or get done now (approx 77kkm). Ford charge $115.
Old 18-05-2016, 10:53 PM   #17
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
dealer has confirmed oil put in at 72kkm was 5W30, so I'm undecided whether to just leave it until 90kkm service, or get done now (approx 77kkm). Ford charge $115.
I'd leave it in. I can't see any reason to dump $115 worth of perfectly good oil. The Ford Europe (and Ford NZ) service interval is 20,000 km, so leaving the oil in an "extra" 3000 km won't be an issue.
Old 18-05-2016, 11:09 PM   #18
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Manchu has a TDCI not petrol though.
I wish I still had the pic I took!

I'm referring to the TDCI, not the petrol.

With my diesel Focus, I checked the oil as soon as I got home after a service.

Black is an understatement. If you saw the picture you wouldn't believe it was that color after returning from an oil change.

All the diesel cars I've owned were under factory warranty. If I keep the one I have long term I will certainly try the oil flush with cheap oil idea I suggested to see if it actually does work.

I'll see what the oil in my Outlander looks like tomorrow. Was changed on Monday and have probably done 100km. Will probably be pitch black as well.

Old 18-05-2016, 11:22 PM   #19
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:

The service interval is 15k. Your next service is due at 77k.
Not rocket surgery.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2016, 12:13 AM   #20
manchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
The service interval is 15k. Your next service is due at 77k.
Not rocket surgery.
Do you mean 87k.
Old 19-05-2016, 08:06 AM   #21
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Mondeo has an oil monitoring system which will send a 'service oil' message based on a calculation using a number of parameters including distance and time since last oil change, duration of individual trips, temperature, vehicle speed. If I DIY the engine oil and deliberately fail to reset the system it sends the service message at 20kkm.

The system will send the message at any time earlier if it was not reset at the oil change or if the calculation parameters are unfavorable.

So no need to worry about forgetting an oil change. Ford calls it the 'intelligent oil monitoring system'. Unfortunately the details of its operation are not made generally available.
Old 19-05-2016, 08:33 PM   #22
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I wish I still had the pic I took!

I'm referring to the TDCI, not the petrol.

With my diesel Focus, I checked the oil as soon as I got home after a service.

Black is an understatement. If you saw the picture you wouldn't believe it was that color after returning from an oil change.

All the diesel cars I've owned were under factory warranty. If I keep the one I have long term I will certainly try the oil flush with cheap oil idea I suggested to see if it actually does work.

I'll see what the oil in my Outlander looks like tomorrow. Was changed on Monday and have probably done 100km. Will probably be pitch black as well.
Yes, I'm sure it will be black. Absolutely normal for a diesel engine. There's no point trying to flush the engine, as the oil is holding the soot in suspension so that the engine stays clean.
Old 31-05-2016, 02:09 PM   #23
manchu

My car is with Ford at the moment for service. I just got a call to say they recommend an injector service (flush and clean)...for $160.

I asked ford guy why it's nor mentioned anywhere in service book and was told it was needed due to crappy diesel quality in Australia.

Any opinions on whether this is necessary?
Old 31-05-2016, 04:07 PM   #24
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My car is with Ford at the moment for service. I just got a call to say they recommend an injector service (flush and clean)...for $160.

I asked ford guy why it's nor mentioned anywhere in service book and was told it was needed due to crappy diesel quality in Australia.

I'd be asking a few questions:

Is Australian diesel substandard?

Is anyone else getting the same recommendation?

Is there evidence the injectors require cleaning?

Is there evidence the cleaning method proposed is effective?

What product/substance is it proposed to use?

What are the symptoms of dirty injectors?

Do you find those symptoms with your car?

You may as well believe there's a little teapot orbiting Earth under its own steam if there are no answers.

Last edited by rondeo; 31-05-2016 at 04:35 PM. Reason: correction
This user likes this post:
Old 31-05-2016, 04:45 PM   #25
manchu

I asked how and what etc and got enough of a reply for me to decide not to do it.

Apparently they run one 'solution' through injectors (by disconnecting fuel line upstream of the pump), then put another 'solution' in the tank. So, doesn't sound quite as simple as a DIY additive, but not far off.
Old 31-05-2016, 08:00 PM   #26
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Last time I had my car serviced by the central city Ford dealership in Auckland, I got the same **** from them about an oil flush. Needless to say, I've never been back.

Any half decent local mechanic would do a better job at half the price than your average Ford service department.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:03 PM   #27
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Ford service system is great if you want to look and think like the guys and girls in the advertisements, or pretend you are booking a holiday somewhere, but I find it a bit fake.

Find an actual mechanic who can spare five minutes to answer questions.
4 users like this post: