Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 10-09-2009, 09:58 PM   #1
REDDYZ

Default Options for Cougar parts

Hi everyone,

Last week a Ford Mondeo (not the new model, old one) came to our workshop on a tow truck for transmission repair and I pulled transmission out of it. After a brief look inside out I found that its Cougar's cousin. I found the following parts exactly the same of Cougar's.

Inside:
-Center console
-Side mirror controls
-Indicators and wiper controls
-Ignition lock

Outside
-Antenna
-Wipers

Underbonnet:
-Brake booster, Master cylinder
-Coolant reservoir
-Powersteering reservoir and infact the whole rack, pinion, pump.
-Ofcourse Transmission
-A/C compressor
-Drive belt tensioner

Under car:
-Subframe
-Front and rear transmission mounts (the ones that sit on subframe)
-Front and rear shock absorbers
-Swaybars and links
-Rear control arms, brakes, discs, crossmember
-Front brakes, discs, (didnt notice drive shafts, I guess they should be the same)

All these parts are exactly the same that you see on Cougar, including the part numbers. Now you might wonder how this is going to help. Well, after taking the transmission out of the Mondeo, I found that the mounts were broken and we ordered new ones. Got both of them under $120. Most of them are cheap and you can find lot of Mondeos in the wreckers.

If you are looking for any part which is hard to find or expensive, let me know, I will ask my boss or workshop manager to find the best price for it.

Cheers

Yogi.

REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 10:36 AM   #2
bunter
F.T.F Member

interesting find yoga

Old Rides
White V8 EB Mont
Ebony Black 2000 V6 Ford Cougar
bunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 02:53 AM   #3
Crystal1987
Starter Motor

what about a fuel pump? the cheapest quote i have gotten so far is $2200 and up to 4 weeks wait...my cougar has been in the shop for 6 weeks already and aftermarket parts have not been sufficient? Apparently this is a common prob for the dear cougars! they are pretty and lovely to drive but terrible to get anything fixed (if they can determine the problem at all) Some bugger down in Wagga Wagga ripped off one of my windscreen wipers while I was having dinner-cost me $215 for a second hand one!!! yes just ONE! please any info would be great as this is the second mechanic to look at my 2001 Auto Cougar to no avail????
Crystal1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 03:42 PM   #4
Crack
Starter Motor

Hopefully this is the right section. Does anyone know if a Ford Cougar's seats fits a Probe?

Thanks in advance.
Crack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 10:32 PM   #5
professorsabre
NECO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal1987
what about a fuel pump? the cheapest quote i have gotten so far is $2200 and up to 4 weeks wait
Only place locally I can suggest is USA Ford Service Parts
Get the part numbers and make sure they match as some parts from the US differ from what's offered on our Cougars. The cost is AUD482.00 so a massive saving.
Hope this helps you.
professorsabre is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2009, 10:12 PM   #6
FumDuk

Hey, I have had a hell of a time with my a/c compressor, how sure are you that they are the same as the mondeo??? Would make my life a lot easier !!!
What year mondeo ?

Cheers
RicK
Old 19-12-2009, 12:21 AM   #7
REDDYZ

Year is 1997-2000. Mounts, brackets looked the same.. I didnt bother to take a close look at A/C comporessor. But now I will, coz I do have the same problem. I will let you know soon.

Yogi
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post