Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 15-07-2009, 11:15 PM   #1
REDDYZ

Talking Cougar Secrets

Hello friends, here are some tricks and secrets about Cougar.

Digital RPM: Press and hold units and reset buttons on dash and turn the ignition on. You will see the speedo & rpm dials moving up. Then start the car while holding the buttons. When car is started, release the buttons and press select until you see digital rpm. This mode is called demo mode and you will see lot more options than you see in normal mode by pressing select. You can also switch to digital speedo. Still trying to find how.

Coding Remote: Turn ignition on and off continuously 3 times within 30 seconds and press any key on the new remote to pair it with your car.
Warning:- When you turn the ignition on and off for 3 times in 30 seconds, the car will erase existing remore and all other ford compatible remotes (focus, jaguar, and more) which are in its range. If you press any botton on those remotes will program them to work on your car. ;)

Whistling Sound: If anyone experiencing whistling sound while idling or at low rpm, let me know, I will post a detailed procedure with pics to fix it. It is caused by idle bypass valve. It needs to be cleaned.

Traction Control Test: If you have a drive way which is in slope or very deep, try and drive your car up when the surface is wet. The car should drive back instead climbing up the driveway. If the car goes back instead forward, the traction control is working perfect on both wheels. The torque is taken off from both the wheels causing the car to loose drive.

Am still searching for more tricks. If anyone has more... please share.

Yogi.

REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2009, 11:10 PM   #2
REDDYZ

I bought a 7" double din touch screen dvd player for my cougar and today I pulled old head unit out of the dash. In this process I discovered that my cougar is all wired up for heated front screen. Fully optioned cougar comes with front heated screen. The swtich between rear demister and traction control switches is meant for front heated screen. Normally manufacturers leaves dummy switches. But in this case the switch was all wired up but locked. Means it works but cannot be operated. This wiring made me curious and I checked the fuse box under bonnet. The slot which is used for heated front screen relay was empty but its wired up too. Means you can hook up a relay. So here is the chance for those who are replacing windscreens to have a heated front screen. All you need is, unlock the switch, get a relay, replace windscreen with heated windscreen (you might have to import from USA or UK). I rang RACV windscreen service and they said they will have to ring ford dealer to find which windscreen will fit my car... normal or heated. And I didnt bother to call them back. Its easy to find whether you cougar is equipped with this option, look in the fuse box under bonnet and if you know how, check if the switch is wired. Also if any one is thinking to change the head unit, here is a hint. There is a hidden screw behind the traction control switches on the dash. Other than that the whole trim just pops out as it is just clipped in. Its a bit tricky to access the screw. I can post the procedure if anyone is interested. Its easy to break that screw. You can still hookup the dash trim as it is with the broken screw. However, you will notice slight rattle from dash when you drive on rough roads. Even if you are getting the job done by a professional there is a chance that he can assume that the dash trim is just clipped in and one strong pull will break the screw holder easily. So just advice him about the hidden screw behind the switches. Makes his job easy and most importantly keeps your kitty in tact.

Cheers

Yogi.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:51 AM   #3
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Hah! I wonder if the audio installers 'missed' that screw when my system went in a few years ago lol - but the Coug's got a few rattles here and there now so it makes next to no difference to me.

Thanks for the tips though, the heated windscreen sounds interesting, but I dread to think how much importing one would cost. I think a new standard screen from Ford is $1200 and that was a few years ago.

Dan
Old 10-10-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
bunter
F.T.F Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoga_hoops
I bought a 7" double din touch screen dvd player for my
did the 7" double din touch screen dvd player fit ok in the cougar?, as my wife wants to do the same, is there enuff room to open the screen to change cds/dvds.

Old Rides
White V8 EB Mont
Ebony Black 2000 V6 Ford Cougar
bunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #5
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

All you have to watch is how far the screen opens.

I have an older 6.5" screen which slides down and outwards and there's no problems opening with the gearshift in neutral/2/4/R.

With a short shifter there's no room for error if in 1/3/5 (who changes CD's in those gears anyway?) hehe. Not sure how it affects standard height shifters or autos.

Some of the other units fold forward and up (mostly single din units though), these ones might have problems with the clearance to the a/c controls unless a custom housing is made.

Dan
Old 10-10-2009, 11:35 PM   #6
bunter
F.T.F Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxas
All you have to watch is how far the screen opens.

I have an older 6.5" screen which slides down and outwards and there's no problems opening with the gearshift in neutral/2/4/R.

yer my wifes cougar is a auto and thats what worries me if there is room for the screen to move down if the Tbar is in 1st/ all the way back.

Old Rides
White V8 EB Mont
Ebony Black 2000 V6 Ford Cougar
bunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
REDDYZ

Quote:
Hah! I wonder if the audio installers 'missed' that screw when my system went in a few years ago lol - but the Coug's got a few rattles here and there now so it makes next to no difference to me.

Thanks for the tips though, the heated windscreen sounds interesting, but I dread to think how much importing one would cost. I think a new standard screen from Ford is $1200 and that was a few years ago.

Dan
Sorry guys, I was away on a holiday.
Dan - $1200 for a windscreen is way too expensive. I got mine changed for $225 which I thought was expensive and the same guy quoted around $500 for heated one.
Old 18-10-2009, 10:49 AM   #8
REDDYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunter
did the 7" double din touch screen dvd player fit ok in the cougar?, as my wife wants to do the same, is there enuff room to open the screen to change cds/dvds.
The one I bought is full 7" touch screen and it fits prefectly into the dash. It looks like factory fitted. The screen on my unit slides down and like Dan said cant open it in 1/3/5.

Yogi
Old 18-10-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
REDDYZ

When you import these units watch for dvd region restrictions. The one I bought is Soundstream VIR-7355NRBT. Spent $818 incl shipping. I planned to buy amp and sub as well but the sound is so good, its amazing. It has 3 levels or Loud setting which gives enough bass. Sound is crisp and clear. This unit has bluetooth with built in mic and also comes with external mic and is future proof with digital TV tuner ready and GPS ready. Need to buy appropriate accesories. It says region 1 but it plays all region dvds. I confirmed it before buying. These players are designed not to operate while driving. It took a while for me to crack this and now 7" shows video while driving too. If anyone has this problem I can help. This can be done without tampering any wires. You dont need to cut any wiring/sockets/plugs on cougars to install these units. (even to crack video playback while driving). Original plug can be used with any unit. This will keep you kitty in original condition. You can always refit original unit without any problem. I will post some pics soon.

Yogi
Old 18-10-2009, 09:25 PM   #10
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoga_hoops
Sorry guys, I was away on a holiday.
Dan - $1200 for a windscreen is way too expensive. I got mine changed for $225 which I thought was expensive and the same guy quoted around $500 for heated one.
If you don't mind letting me know, where did you get those quotes for the windscreen? Cos I'd pay that money for one compared to $1200 as long as it'll fit, has the 'hole' for the VIN number and doesn't have the tint strip across the top (not a fan of those and my current one doesn't have it).

My current windscreen has a 'star' stonechip on the passenger side and a long crack along the bottom of the drivers side.

Dan
Old 19-10-2009, 11:45 PM   #11
REDDYZ

Quote:
If you don't mind letting me know, where did you get those quotes for the windscreen? Cos I'd pay that money for one compared to $1200 as long as it'll fit, has the 'hole' for the VIN number and doesn't have the tint strip across the top (not a fan of those and my current one doesn't have it).

My current windscreen has a 'star' stonechip on the passenger side and a long crack along the bottom of the drivers side.

Dan

I live in Melbourne and there is a guy who does windscreens for our workshop. He is mobile and comes to your place to do the job. He did changed windscreen on my cougar. Even RACV windscreens quoted $245 which is just $20 more. I can get his number if you want.

Yogi