Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 08-12-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
KingRat
Starter Motor

Default A technical question about a clutch part name...

Hi all,

New here. Good to see a whole community of cougar lovers. Before I start... I'm a novice when it comes to mechanics of the car, so please bear with me.

I have a question about a part i'm looking for. My clutch is stuffed and the mechanics have told me its not really the clutch plates that have worn off...because I initially thought it was that. Its a twisty narrow little metallic pipe followed by a small rubber hose followed by another small 8 inch metallic narrow pipe. The whole thing would be about 3/ 3.5 feetlong.. the first pipe is about 2, 2.5 feet, then a small hose of about 6/7 inches and another pipe of about 8 inches... this whole thing apparently connects the firewall to the clutch plate (or something along those lines). Its situated on the right hand side of the end if ur facing the engine from the front and run around the back of engine.

Can someone tell me what this part is? A wrecker told me it might be the hydraulic clutch lines by the sounds of it... can someone tell me any good cougar wreckers that might have any manual cougars sitting there? or maybe a place I could order it from? would appreciate your help. Cheers.

KingRat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 09:36 AM   #2
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah, sounds like the hydraulic lines. strange he said that was the problem and not the master or slave cylinder (the things that each end of this like connects to...) if it's a line or cylinder problem the "mechanics" should be able to fix it surely...
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
KingRat
Starter Motor

He's told me he tried fixing it a few times but when they take it out for a test drive, it pipe or whatever just bursts or leaks, and we are back to square one... so he wants to replace the lines. So I was wondering where to find it.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:02 PM   #4
REDDYZ

Where are you located? there is a cougar in one of Melbourne's wreckers. Its easy to make new lines. Buy metal lines which come in straight line and bend it accordingly. Its easy for mechanics. Just FYI, in cougars slave cylinder is located inside the gearbox. Mounted around input shaft and part of thrust bearing. I wonder what made those lines bursting out. If its a wear and tear part like flexi rubber hoses, should replace with new ones. If it is just metal line then someone must have stuffed it while bleeding or doing other work around gear box.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 10:04 AM   #5
KingRat
Starter Motor

I'm in Melbourne yoga_hoops. Which wrecker are you talking about? and is it a manual?

I have a feeling it was stuffed up by the mechanic because I recently got my engine changed (long story and my own fault)... but then again, it ran fine for 2/3 weeks and then the clutch gave way... was told that the plates were weak (about 50%) while he was changing the engine.. but I didnt know where to lookand the new ones from Ford were 1400 bucks! which was ridiculous, so I decided to not change them...

After the clutch gave way,I took it back to the mechanics thinking the clutch plates are gone... but hes told me that its actually the lines... and he has tried to fix it a few times and cant, so wants to replace them... I think its his first time working on acougar, and I dont know, he might not be very experienced... but I didnt want to spend too much money on it atthe time and he seemed reasonably priced... should have got it done once and got it done properly.Anyways, so my dilemma is, I need those replacement lines... because thats what he thinks is the problem and wants to replace them.

The wreckers I have checked in melbourne so far have got cougars that are auto... need one from a manual.

the mechanic checked with ford and they dont make it anymore... so I need to find it somewhere else. Any websites? I checked rockauto but didnt really find it in the list for mercury and for ford cougar.

Does anyone know of a wrecked manual cougar? or some place I could order the part?

Cheers,
Oz
Old 10-12-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
thearrow

First thing I would do is get a second opinion it sounds like B/S to me. It sounds like he is guessing rather than kowing what is actually wrong with it.
thearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
KingRat
Starter Motor

thearrow... I would have liked to... but its just too big a hassle... Hes got bits and pieces out... then getting it towed... some other mechanic starting new.

He assures me its the clutch lines because he has apparently tried to fix it, they have taken it for test drives,,, its the lines thats burst open or give way and are apparently unrepairable... or he atleast doesnt know how to. I'm just taking his word for it... so I thought, OK, I'll try and find a manual cougar somewhere and get the lines out. It seems like most wreckers I have called are carrying autos.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:21 PM   #8
REDDYZ

Unfntly, its Auto. Its hard to find a new replacement part. In our workshop one of the mechanics is working on 1979 convertible Jaguar. Converting left hand drive to right hand drive. He had to make new brake lines by hand. Its pretty easy. You find out how much would a wrecker would charge you for a second hand part and I will ask him if he can make one for you for that price. He can use my car as sample. Before that I would like to see your car and see what the problem is. Dont worry I wont charge you for this. I live in Melbourne so its not a big deal. I have a feeling that your mechanic doesnt know how to bleed it and am pretty sure that cougars have internal slave cylinders within gearbox like VWs and Renaults. Never actually bothered to look at them. I will check that tomorrow just for my reference. If it is internal then either he doesnt know how to bleed it or must have stuffed the bleeder valve as it hard to reach them. So, let me know if I can help you. And clutch kit for cougar costs around $600. When you change them, you better change rear main seal too, even if its not leaking.

cheers

Yogi.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:15 PM   #9
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

The line can be made up by any brake place. All that is needed is the old line so they can get length and the fittings needed for it to bolt back together. It'll probably set you back about $30 or $40. Not in the hundreds.

As for this mechanic of yours. I'd steer clear of him. It's rather obvious he really doesn't know what he is doing, if he doesn't know how to go about getting a new one made up. Either that, or he's a parts book browser. In other words, if he can't find a listing in a book, he's stuffed.

My 2C worth
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2009, 11:20 PM   #10
REDDYZ

True. I think this would be the right option. The work will be done by the right people. No dramas.
Old 23-12-2009, 09:46 AM   #11
KingRat
Starter Motor

Thanks yoga, thats very generous of you to offer that. I'm running out of options with this guy so its time I showed it to someone that understands the car. Where in melbourne are you based? Since you own a cougar yourself and you seem to be quite into it, I think I would really like you to have a look. I'll have to tow the car to your workshop as its not driveable. Please do let me know whats a suitable time because I know its the holiday season and most places would be shut.

Cheers,
Oz
Old 07-01-2010, 02:00 PM   #12
KingRat
Starter Motor

Thanks yogi for all your help.

That car is back on the road and driving nicely.

Next target - getting the rear bumper fixed and a nice wash and polish!
Old 07-01-2010, 11:11 PM   #13
REDDYZ

You are welcome and good to see another Cougar back on road If I would have seen those lines before it comes to our workshop, I could have replaced them for you at no cost which could have saved labour charges coz its very easy to take it on or off. I was in the impression that it was all metal line with a plastic tip at the end, until I saw the lines when u got them. I couldnt see on my car as I have to take the air filter box off to see the clutch lines. Anyway its all good now. I waited for sometime to meet you yesterday while you pickup your car, but couldnt wait longer as I had someother work on the way home. I have driven your car and its smooth. I thought engine would be rough but its very smooth. It will get better as you drive. Clutch is fine too. Out of curiosity I replaced seals on the old lines and air tested with air blower and the joint was still leaking. Upon closer inspection I found that surface inside the joint was all burised, could have happened while trying to spilt those joints. Also, we have put die in the a/c system which seals any minor leaks and also acts as lubricant and in case if there is a leak, it can be traced by the die. I know what its like with leaking compressor. Its very hard to find compressors for cougars. They are very expensive. Anyway, If any problems in future feel free to call me and I will do my best.

cheers

Yogi
Old 09-01-2010, 08:40 AM   #14
KingRat
Starter Motor

Thanks Yogi. And sorry I wasnt able to come earlier. I was at work in the city and then got a mate to drive me to the workshop to pick it up. Dont worry about the labour costs. Its a business and its fair enough. Its better to pay extra but get it done once and get it done properly than the whole trial and error thing with no results. If I have an issue next time, I'll get your opinion before taking it to the workshop ;)

Yea the drive felt much nicer this time around. I guess driving a normal car and then driving a cougar makes you appreciate how good the drive is in it. Hopefully it will get better with time.

Have to get the rear bumper fixed now. Might start searching for a rear bumper. From memory, in the past I was quoted around the 330 - 350 -400 mark by various wreckers. I just hope I can find a grey one to match the car Any idea how much the paint job would cost?
Old 09-01-2010, 11:37 PM   #15
REDDYZ

There are some bug marks on the rear bumper on my car and the paint on spoiler was faded. So I got a quote from a panel beater near our workshop who fixed my previous car couple of times. He is the perfect guy for accident jobs, if you are not at fault. I think he quoted around $450 to paint the rear bumper and spoiler which is way too expensive. So I dropped. It should only cost around 100 to 150 dollars for a decent paint job. But this guy, though he charge more his job will be the best. He is only good for insurance jobs, not when you pay from your pocket. I will try and find other places and if you come across any good one let me know, we will get both of our cars done together. Also, forgot to tell you, there is no coolant in your car. Its only plain water. Make sure you get that replaced with coolant whenever u can and only with RED coolant. I noticed it lately otherwise I would have told u while car was in the workshop.