Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Coupe Club of Australia > Coupe Restoration & Build

Old 02-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #31
JG65TE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Bearmans Engine Rebuild

Be careful of relying on cable ties . I have trashed a gt bonnet thinking they would hold but one wind got under it........... Drop a rope thru it too dude.
JG65TE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #32
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytona1965 View Post
Craig,

Andrew from Competition Coatings in Coburg ( 9354 8021 )

great bloke and well priced ( he is always busy so book them in ).

He is a Ford guy to boot.

Rohan

P.S. Stu do you want a new friend I will be dropping my 351 and box out next weekend

Andrew ceramic coated my pacemaker extractors in the cast colour

Sadly they turned a rusty brown colour within a few days of driving

He offered to redo them....little help when it is such an effort to remove and refit them

He wont be getting my business or recommendation ever again
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #33
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman View Post

Some pics:

The electrical spaghetti. Hope Stu knows how it all goes back in 'cause I sure as hell don't!!

The NOS cross member to go in:
You can colour match the new paint against your plastic chairs!

Good luck with it Bear, can't wait to see the results at Echuca.
GT-GTF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #34
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG65TE View Post
Be careful of relying on cable ties . I have trashed a gt bonnet thinking they would hold but one wind got under it........... Drop a rope thru it too dude.
Thanks Doc, will do. Sounds like good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503

He offered to redo them....little help when it is such an effort to remove and refit them

Thanks George, much appreciated. I've ordered the extractors through Competition Engines in Springvale and are being supplied ceramic coated. No idea who they use but given they would do this in some volume I'd imagine they use someone good.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #35
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503 View Post

High performance coatings , the original and the best
They are an OEM to HSV so that may give you a little more comfort next time George
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #36
Bearman

Today was lots of running around. First up, the coupe was transported to the panel shop and unloaded. Had a chat to Paul and we went through what was happening. He's put a timeline of late Jan on it so that is better than I expected!!

Took Doc's advice and tied down the bonnet more thoroughly!!

Just before this I got a call from Ray to say my engine is finished. He needed all the bits to make it go brooommmm and it's off to be run in. After I'd finished with Paul I dropped of the carby, dizzy, fuel pump etc. I'll get it back with a baseline tune so I can get it in the car, turn the key and enjoy. Down the track I'll put some miles on it then take it for a chassis dyno.

Very excited!!

This will be a nice sweet street engine. Nothing exotic here but will be perfect for my needs. 351 crank, 302 rods and Hypertech?? pistons. 302 heads with some port work. Pistons dished to give a 10.5:1 comp ratio which should be perfect for pump fuel. Cam is a Crow Cams hydraulic flat tappet 234/244 .525 lift. Ray decided the solid cam he was originally going to use was a bit big and this one would be much better suited to me.

Can't wait!!

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #37
XC GXL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looking good Craig.

Wayne
XC GXL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #38
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing wrong with a "set n forget" cam Craig
Got a very similar set up in my new engine
Just saving the dollars so I can do the engine bay , underside etc
You know how it goes its never just an engine swap
Engine looks great Craig
Old 05-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #39
Bearman

The rest of my day was spent picking up and dropping off. Got my tailshaft all balanced up with new uni's. Got my clutch pressure plate tested and is holding 2,000lb clamping force so it's good to re-use. Left my Brake master cylinder and the clutch hydraulic components to be kitted and stainless sleeved.

Got a changeover power steering box. Mine seemed OK but the coupling was a bit iffy. Given what a hassle they are to change with the motor in I didn't want to chance re-using the existing one. The bloke told me they have had the original type couplings on back order for some time now and it doesn't look like they'll be getting them at all. He said to steer clear of the nylon ones as they just send vibrations up the steering column. He gave me a very good second hand coupling. If you have any decent original type couplings DON'T CHUCK THEM OUT!!

Dropped off my radiator to get an inspect and flush out. I don't expect any issues here as the old motor kept its cool very well, even in stinkin' hot weather.

Picked up a new starter motor and that was my day.

The budget is tracking OK but there's no room for any unexpected issues. It's the extras, ancillaries and add-on's that cost!! The engine so far accounts for about 55% of my expenditure so far!!

Old 05-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #40
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The rest of my day was spent picking up and dropping off. Got my tailshaft all balanced up with new uni's. Got my clutch pressure plate tested and is holding 2,000lb clamping force so it's good to re-use. Left my Brake master cylinder and the clutch hydraulic components to be kitted and stainless sleeved.

Got a changeover power steering box. Mine seemed OK but the coupling was a bit iffy. Given what a hassle they are to change with the motor in I didn't want to chance re-using the existing one. The bloke told me they have had the original type couplings on back order for some time now and it doesn't look like they'll be getting them at all. He said to steer clear of the nylon ones as they just send vibrations up the steering column. He gave me a very good second hand coupling. If you have any decent original type couplings DON'T CHUCK THEM OUT!!

Dropped off my radiator to get an inspect and flush out. I don't expect any issues here as the old motor kept its cool very well, even in stinkin' hot weather.

Picked up a new starter motor and that was my day.

The budget is tracking OK but there's no room for any unexpected issues. It's the extras, ancillaries and add-on's that cost!! The engine so far accounts for about 55% of my expenditure so far!!
Craig
Contact nation power steering in box street dandenong
That's where I got my coupling from ( not nylon)
They also did up my box & pump
They know their stuff
Cheers
Old 05-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #41
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptune blue View Post
Craig
Contact nation power steering in box street dandenong
That's where I got my coupling from ( not nylon)
They also did up my box & pump
They know their stuff
Cheers
Make that national power steering
Old 14-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #42
Bearman

Just a quick update but nothing much to report. Picked up my radiator, has been pulled apart and cleaned out. They reported it to be 10% blocked. It now has a clean bill of health.

Yesterday I picked up my new extractors from Competition Engines, all ceramic coated and ready for action. Also picked up my brake master, clutch master and slave cylinders all kitted out and stainless sleeved.

Also got myself some radiator mount rubbers and decided to spring for a 3/8" fuel sender all recoed and callibrated for my long range tank. Will be upgrading the fuel line to 3/8" all the way (standard is 5/16").

That's pretty much everything now. I'll probably get the motor next week and then until the body arrives back just cool my heels and clean up all the bits to re-use. Will be getting all my brackets and other visible engine bay stuff powder coated in the new year.

Will report back when the engine arrives.

Old 14-12-2012, 11:39 PM   #43
AllCoupedUp
Garage Dreaming...

Location: In the garage - waiting for the car to build itself!!

Great progress Craig.

Going to be big Jan / Feb for you when the car comes back - will it be ready for P@HRock?
AllCoupedUp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2012, 12:01 AM   #44
Bearman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCoupedUp View Post
Great progress Craig.

Going to be big Jan / Feb for you when the car comes back - will it be ready for P@HRock?
I doubt it. The panel shop put a late Jan timeline on it but these things always get delayed. I'd like to have it going for our display at Caribbean Gardens sometime in April.

The ultimate aim is to have it all bedded in and fully sorted for Echuca in September. Should be a shoe in unless there is a major catastrophe.

I'm already getting Toey!!

Old 15-12-2012, 01:07 AM   #45
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Timing is every thing Craig

If you were able to start the project 3 months ago she would have been right for the all ford day in Geelong
Old 15-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #46
Bearman

Hi Tony. Exactly right but I had to work in with Stu's availability as well. I'm not too bothered about not having it for the AFD, I'll just hitch a ride down and have a great day anyway. If it's ready for the Phillip Island historics in March or especially Caribbean in April that would be great but I'm not going to rush it. That's where mistakes happen.

Echuca is the ultimate goal and I'm really looking forward to being able to lift the bonnet and not die of embarrassment.

Old 15-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #47
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know how you feel !
Old 19-12-2012, 01:18 AM   #48
nt0351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Re: Bearmans Engine Rebuild

Quote:
Today was lots of running around. First up, the coupe was transported to the panel shop and unloaded. Had a chat to Paul and we went through what was happening. He's put a timeline of late Jan on it so that is better than I expected!!

Took Doc's advice and tied down the bonnet more thoroughly!!

Just before this I got a call from Ray to say my engine is finished. He needed all the bits to make it go brooommmm and it's off to be run in. After I'd finished with Paul I dropped of the carby, dizzy, fuel pump etc. I'll get it back with a baseline tune so I can get it in the car, turn the key and enjoy. Down the track I'll put some miles on it then take it for a chassis dyno.

Very excited!!

This will be a nice sweet street engine. Nothing exotic here but will be perfect for my needs. 351 crank, 302 rods and Hypertech?? pistons. 302 heads with some port work. Pistons dished to give a 10.5:1 comp ratio which should be perfect for pump fuel. Cam is a Crow Cams hydraulic flat tappet 234/244 .525 lift. Ray decided the solid cam he was originally going to use was a bit big and this one would be much better suited to me.

Can't wait!!
nice little combo , you will love it

i did the exact same 6'' rod combo except in a 4V ,...very similar cam specs too,..i used the crower cam ,wise move to go the hydraulic,..this motor will come alive with 3.5's in the rear
nt0351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #49
JG65TE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hey bear, what ya extractors cost ya , and what size primaries n final ?.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #50
Bearman

Hey Doc, can't remember off the top of my head the cost. I haven't measured them. I was told they'll flow up to 500hp which is well beyond what I'll have. Bit short on detail I know!!

Old 07-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #51
JG65TE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All good mate. Just havin a snoop. Some big differences around in prices.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #52
Bearman

No probs Doc. All the paperwork is at Stu's factory and he's away at the moment. Next time I'm there I'll see what the extractors were worth. They weren't cheap.

Things are at a standstill at the moment but hopefully I'll get a day in the factory next weekend to sort and clean stuff. I'll check on progress of the body in a couple of weeks time.

Old 23-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #53
Bearman

Well, after the Christmas hiatus and some unexpected delays in January things are now happening body wise.

The old cross member is out and the newie is ready to go in. Paul and John asked me if the coupe has ever had a hit to which I replied it had. I was made aware when I was in the process of buying it had copped a hit in the front left when it was still pretty much new (seller made full disclosure). The guys said they thought so and showed me all the evidence of it.

The front member which attaches across the front of the bottom chassis rails is pretty rough, has bog and rust is getting in. A dodgy insurance repair from 30 years ago has come home to roost.

The upshot is that I need a new one. Can these still be had NOS or new aftermarket? Does this piece have a particular name so I know what to ask for and search for on the net? Does anyone have one?

See pics below: (hope no one minds me using other peoples pics pinched of this site)

Old 23-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #54
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey Craig
Given that the sedan is the same as the coupe upfront you might be able to find a good
one
Send a PM to Luke GT, he may have a good one and it won't cost a bomb
Old 23-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #55
JG65TE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can't see ya pics bear. Prolly coz I'm walkin round Ballarat swap. I call it the lower rad support. I guess that ain't wot its called but I know the piece ya mean. I got a perfect one here from a cut if u get stuck n can't find a newie.
Old 23-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #56
MEANXBCOUPE
injection is nice, but...

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing the Helicoil article 

Isn't it funny (?) that almost every build gets stuck at the panel shop/ paint phase.

Looking forward to seeing you in Echuca Craig, good work mate.

Limetime Green '74 XB Coupe- Classic not Plastic.

Blueprint '02 Pursuit 250- Plastic not Classic (yet)

Venom '01 AUII Rebel- RIP. Gone to a better place.

Winter White '12 FG GT 335 R-Spec - something the wife thrashes daily

'05 CRF450X- For getting dirty in the, um, dirt.
MEANXBCOUPE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #57
Bearman

Hi Gary, that's the way it goes. They thought January would be quiet as it usually is so they had mine lined up for then. Murphy's law, it was really busy instead hence the delay on mine!!

See you at Echuca!!

Cheers,

Old 23-02-2013, 11:34 PM   #58
The Lone Ranger
My young fella "Paddy"

Quote:
Hi Gary, that's the way it goes. They thought January would be quiet as it usually is so they had mine lined up for then. Murphy's law, it was really busy instead hence the delay on mine!!

See you at Echuca!!

Cheers,
And this is what gives you the irrots Craig. Yours, like all the rest of ours, is not an insurance job. We're payin full freight so why don't our cars take priority? This has just happened to me once again with the engine bay freshen up of the Landau. Love your car and look forward to the finished piccies.

Darren
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint Build # 705 in White
2019 XLT Ranger Super Cab 3.2 with 6 speed auto
Both Landaus now sold
The Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #59
MEANXBCOUPE
injection is nice, but...

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing the Helicoil article 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
And this is what gives you the irrots Craig. Yours, like all the rest of ours, is not an insurance job. We're payin full freight so why don't our cars take priority? This has just happened to me once again with the engine bay freshen up of the Landau. Love your car and look forward to the finished piccies.

Darren
Because if you don't give the insurance companies priority, you don't get any more work off them. its always being that way.
Also the panel shop make more $$ per job as most crash work is remove replace and paint. Unlike a resto..

Limetime Green '74 XB Coupe- Classic not Plastic.

Blueprint '02 Pursuit 250- Plastic not Classic (yet)

Venom '01 AUII Rebel- RIP. Gone to a better place.

Winter White '12 FG GT 335 R-Spec - something the wife thrashes daily

'05 CRF450X- For getting dirty in the, um, dirt.
MEANXBCOUPE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #60
Bearman

Got a good lower radiator support cross member. Thanks heaps Doc, you're a gentleman!!

Dropped it around to the panel shop this arvo so work can now continue.

Nothing else to report.