Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-10-2018, 03:10 PM   #1
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Seriously, WTF is wrong with people!!

Some of you may have read my thread enquiring about cars for $18k driveaway so i thought i'd provide a bit an explination as to what has brought me to this stage of decision making.

Up until a month ago my Wife and i had seperate cars, hers a 2010 Camry Sportivo and mine a BF3 egas wagon.
We recently finalised the finance on both, hers 14 months ahead of time and 2 years ahead.
With the price of gas creeping up it was getting to the point where it wasnt economical anymore and as the BF was 9 year old, it was almost due its 10yr tank test.
The Wifes Camry was a good car and has been faultless but for some reason they chew through tyres on the front which we'd had checked by every mechanic from herer to the black stump and every one had a different opinion and cost to rectify and i just couldnt be bothered being the guinea pig and so when it was due for another set of tyres and its 150k service, we decided to move them both on.
So we decided on getting one good family car and i would buy a new 50cc scooter which i could ride the 7km each way to work in very light traffic on my car license.
So we bought a 2013 Diesel SZ Territory for her and the kids in an almost straight swap for our two cars and purchased a brand new Kymco Soper8 50T scooter for me which i had deristricted before delivery so as to keep up in traffic.
So the Territory and scooter have been faultless, the terri is returning 8.5l/100km which is less than the camry returned believe it or not and last week i filled the scooter up for $4.10.

So why are we looking for a new car, well, because for some reason some people out there on our roads are mentally challenged and feel the need to be complete ****ers to those at their most vulnerable.
On my first day riding home from work i had some obvious crack head sit right up my **** whilst doing the posted 60 speed limit and when he got to where he was turning right, moved into the slip lane, planted his foot and proceeded to lose control of his Subaru and end up on the gutter.
The next day it was another flog stuck to my back tyre, then the next day, and the one after that.
On one occasion i had someone glued to my back tyre when a patrol car went past in the opposite diirection, i thought, excellent, your gone when i saw the cop looking at us, then felt disgusted when he just kept going, if it happening right under a coppers nose isnt going to get attention nothing will.

In the end i spent more time looking in my rear vision mirrors than i did concentrating on what was in front, a dangerous mix for anyone on a bike.
So the straw that broke the camels back, and almost mine, came last Wednesday on my way to work. I had truned right on to a road and had a new Outlander behind me. Its a main road but of single lane with nature strip divider one side and garden beds and parking spaces along the edge so no where for me to pull over or for overtaking, so i pull the throttle full, get to my 60k which is the posted limit and watch as the outlander begins to fill my mirrors.
This went on for the entire 1.5km of the road until it becomes dual lanes, so i move over to the left to let them past, only they dont want to pass, they want to sit right up my **** in the left lane.
So after we pass through a randabout and travel another 500m im approaching the street where i work, so i shift my focus from his antics to my indicator and approach to the corner, just as i arrive at the corner i make one last scan of my mirrors to make sure this flog isnt going to plow into me from behind and he isnt there, so i make a quick look over my right shoulder to see if he's gone around me, but with limited peripheral vision due to the helmet i dont see him there either and as im at the point where i must dip the handlebars left to make my turn i see this flash of white in the corner of my eye on my left side as this flog flies up the left side of me in the parking lane and turns the corner in front of me.
There were barely inches between my handle bar and his gaurd and it forced me to pull the bike back upright and brake hard, thankfully i've done the ridersafe course so i knew how to keep it under control in that situation.
I got to work and was shaking like a leaf as it was real close, when i got home after work i told the wife i'd had enough, i can be as cautious as i can and make every effort to avoid whats happening in front of me, but i cant stop those behind me if they have that kind of intent.
My mother inlaw let me read a piece she found on facebook about a bloke ona bike who in the end gets cleaned up by a motorist who didnt see him, well, i can accept that in todays busy world accidents will happen as not everyone is focussing where they should be, but these clowns i've encountered dont have that as an excuse because im right there in front of them, they can see me, they just choose to play a very dangerous game which only one can win.

So after 1 month and with less than 400km on the scooter, its time to hang up the helmet and say enoughs enough, what started out with good intentions has left disgusted at what people find amusing towards someone who's just going about their business.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2018, 03:26 PM   #2
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Seriously, WTF is wrong with people!!

Bent 8 I totally understand your position. I would actually ride on my bicycle to work and back for the exercise 2 or 3 days a week if it were not for the traffic and the dangers. Knobs sitting on your **** if travelling at speed limit, and then young P platers (especially female-is that discrimination?) who are not looking at the road but at iphones pouting lips and taking Kim Kardashian selfies and reading/sending texts all the while travelling at 60 odd km/h.....

I actually did also think about getting a little motorbike as there is free parking in Newcastle for motorbikes but I foresaw the dangers exactly that you were exposed to. Count your blessings that you were not injured.

I will be in your precise situation in 3.5 years when my FGX has been fully depreciated and I put her to pasture.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2018, 04:31 PM   #3
elfutura

Fully understand your decision to hang up the helmet.
Years ago, waiting to turn left at a T intersection on my bike a car came from behind and hit my back wheel pushing me into the left lane of the road I was waiting to enter. Thankfully the only traffic was in the outside lane, so disaster averted.
I also hung up the helmet after that.
elfutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-10-2018, 04:40 PM   #4
yakcam
I drank what?

People are A**holes...

https://au.news.yahoo.com/strangers-...012842066.html
Old 29-10-2018, 05:04 PM   #5
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a lot of confidence that the motorists who follow my car within 2 metres distance have brilliant reflexes, good tyres, top brakes (possibly AEB) and comprehensive insurance.
I also have confidence that the tooth fairy, Easter Bunny and Santa Claus observe OHS procedures whilst visiting my house during their duties.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2018, 05:25 PM   #6
black13
born to be mild

@ bent 8. Pretty much the reason i hardly ever ride through the city now. I have been riding for 35 yrs now & have found that a most drivers dont give a tish about anyone else on the road. People dont look anymore & are to impatient.
triumph Daytona 1200
the black beast busa gsx1300r
black13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2018, 07:09 PM   #7
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Thanks for the replies guys.

So i have a little bit more to share.

This afternoon just after i posted the above my Wife rang and asked me to grab some Bread. As i havent taken delivery of the new car yet and my Daughters car which i used for work this morning was away with her, i fugured, i know, i'll jump on the scooter and head around to a small semi rural shopping centre at Angle Vale, its basically all 60km/hr roads with plenty of room for overtaking, what could possibly go wrong.
So you're probably wondering why i'd get back on the bike after what i shared above, but the truth is i love bikes, have done since i had YZ80's as a kid and figured a short run on open roads with little traffic couldnt hurt, i was wrong unfortunately.
So i jump on the bike and make the 3 or 4 km ride to the supermarket, grab the bread and head home, no problems, this is ok im thinking, if i could justify keeping it for this i would but its not practical so i might aswell enjoy it while i can.
Then i turned right onto Angle Vale road at the roundabout and had a truck follow from the opposite direction, no worries i thought, ill do 60 in the 60 zone and when it gets to the short few hundred meters of 80 zone before the expressway overpass i'll keep left and hopefully he'll pass.
Well, all was going to plan until we hit the 80 zone, nothing coming the other way, he'll pass me, i drive heavy vehicles, i would pass with plenty of room.
Nope, decides to sit hard left and so close that all i could see was the centre of his grill, this is getting crazy now.
So i approach the first roundabout at the expressway overpass and theres a car coming from the opposite direction with its right indicator on, i think, excellent, theres room for me to get through safely, i dont really need to brake stride as they are fairly open roundabouts for a little bike at 60k's and the truck has no choice but to give way, so through i go.
I come up over the bridge, down the other side and through the next roundabout and then i see the black smoke billowing from the stacks as old mate is peddling hard to make up ground, im a good 100-150m infront at this stage.
Now a mere 400m from the roundabout i need to make a right hand turn, so with 200m to go i figure, give this hero plenty of notice and wack the indicator on, what more can i do.
Just then a car emerges from an intersection 50m further on from where im turning leaving me with no option other than to stop and give way, my heart rate increases and my eyes fixed firmly on my mirrors widen as old mate is still up it and bearing down on me.
You couldnt script this **** any better and just as the car passes me in the opposite direction, old mate blasts past me on the left of a single lanes road whilst im stationary, dead set i had a foot on either side.
Old mate then wacks his right indicator on, lands hard on the brakes and proceeds to turn into the road where the car came out of.
It was totally unnecessary, he didnt need to pass me, he could have read what was going on, hung back, let me get out of the way and saved himself diesel and brake lining, but oh no, apparently theres kicks to be had from this type of ****.
So thats it, im over it.
I just dont get people, i drive heavy vehicles everyday, everything from 24 seater Mitsubishi Rosa's to 57 seat coaches so i too could inflict a little intimidation myself i i was so inclined but i dont, why would you?

I couldnt live with myself if i pulled that sort of **** and someone got killed as a result, its just madness.

Anyone wanna buy a hardly used scooter, will need the seat cleaned..
Old 29-10-2018, 07:23 PM   #8
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

It's terrifying but you just can't ride safely anymore, the road is full of people who just don't think..............
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2018, 07:29 PM   #9
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How much for the scooter??
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2018, 07:35 PM   #10
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My brother rides a motorcycle, and he says he rides like everyone is trying to kill him. From your description, they are. (much like when riding a bicycle)

At least with something more powerful you can leave them behind. Not much hope on a scooter.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2018, 07:36 PM   #11
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
Hmm, not sure, i paid just under $3k on road for it and was going to trade it on a jetski after christmas back where i got it from. to save the HF of gumtree etc.
Old 29-10-2018, 07:37 PM   #12
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

I slowed down today from 100 to 90kph in a 100 zone as it was bucketing down in my work truck. I then slowed down to turn right at an intersection. Old mate was up my clacker, wound down his window and abused me as I was turning right. For going "slow" I presume ....................
2 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2018, 07:38 PM   #13
prydey
Rob

Hey, at least on a scooter you rank slightly above a cyclist. When you have motorists intentionally swerve at you then you start to lose your nerve.

Some people act so tough when they are safely wrapped in a tonne or more of metal.

When you sit back and observe how some people behave it really does beg the question, 'what the hell is wrong with some people?'
Old 29-10-2018, 07:40 PM   #14
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's the reason I only cycle on trails and bike paths now.
It doesn't matter how careful you are, how right you are, you will still be dead because of some flog; and that flog would be extremely unlucky to spend even one day behind bars.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2018, 07:41 PM   #15
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
My brother rides a motorcycle, and he says he rides like everyone is trying to kill him. From your description, they are. (much like when riding a bicycle)

At least with something more powerful you can leave them behind. Not much hope on a scooter.
And i think thats it to be honest, i've been watching how motorists interact with motorbikes and you dont notice them behaving as aggressively, i think its purely because they know the scooter doesn't have the power to pull away like a bike can so its an easy target.
Old 29-10-2018, 07:44 PM   #16
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
And i think thats it to be honest, i've been watching how motorists interact with motorbikes and you dont notice them behaving as aggressively, i think its purely because they know the scooter doesn't have the power to pull away like a bike can so its an easy target.
100%

You'd swear these people must be about 4 foot tall and have the world's biggest case of small man syndrome.
Old 29-10-2018, 07:46 PM   #17
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

One of my work colleagues said last week, you should get a GO Pro Steve, i said, why, so my Wife can have a video of how i died, it wont stop the ****ers, it'll just record the event and outcome.

Fair call he said.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2018, 07:58 PM   #18
prydey
Rob

Lots of roadworks here in Adelaide at the moment. Now possibly when I'm in roadworks I keep an eye out for signs etc as there is often lane closures, speed restrictions etc.
I'm gobsmacked at the people that clearly pay very little attention. I do shift work so often there is only a handful of cars on the road, but you still get cars that can't seem to see the massive neon flashing arrow, or the witches hats or lane closed signage, until it's right in front of them. Or you'll be cruising at 25, but old mate thinks his life and time are more important than anyone else's, so he'll just barrel through at the limit...
Don't get me started on the cars that get out of the big queue of cars into the lane that is closing just so they can cut back in 3 cars further up. It's just selfish.
Old 29-10-2018, 08:22 PM   #19
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Hey, at least on a scooter you rank slightly above a cyclist. When you have motorists intentionally swerve at you then you start to lose your nerve.

Some people act so tough when they are safely wrapped in a tonne or more of metal.

When you sit back and observe how some people behave it really does beg the question, 'what the hell is wrong with some people?'
I was riding my cervello with a mate, rode along the Fernleigh Railway track which is now a cyclist/pedestrian path- and were too many people to safely get a speed up. So we agree to ride on roads to Merewether Beach, cycling on a corner where 1 lane turns right and joins up with main road at 90 degrees, but the lane is separate and has right of way from the main road which has one lane of right of way and a heavy steady stream of traffic.

The lane I am in that turns right is very narrow and I am aware of traffic to my left on the main road I am to join that is going by at some 65 kph. I am in front, so I cog down some gears, get out of saddle and sit in middle of narrow lane and turn right going at about 45 kph and this BMW SUV just starts operating its hooter behind me and cuts into my side, forcing me to swerve left into the traffic flow on the steady stream to my left, as if I had not swerved the BMW would have taken me out.

I was a sardine almost squashed in a metal vice 2 sides either side.

So I swore and gave the bird and chased after brave man in big steel cage, who saw me coming (90 kgs of mostly very angry muscle at this time) and he saw a red light to his front which means he was going to have to deal with me, and he promptly swerved left and accelerated down a little road off to the left.

As my mate said- he was totally in the wrong- but that means nothing when you are talking of a contest between 1,800 kgs steel v 92 kgs flesh and carbon fibre.

I am now really carefully planning my rides to avoid heavy traffic and dangerous roads when I can. But even then I light myself up like a Christmas tree and when I get home safely after a ride let out a breath of relief.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender

Last edited by asagaai; 29-10-2018 at 08:27 PM.
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2018, 08:29 PM   #20
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

It's no excuse for the other drivers behaviour, but most of these scooter speedometers, and the small CC ones more so, are hopelessly optimistic and are usually 10km/hr or more out. This probably does help matters as having a scooter rider in front of you doing 10km/hr to 20km/hr below the speed limit but with the rider thinking he is at the limit probably creates some frustration and animosity towards scooters. Google search "scooter speedometer not accurate" . Of course ADR says above 40km/hr the should be accurate within 10% https://www.legislation.gov.au/Detai...0-cec060612097
I discovered this several years ago when I observed a work colleague on the Kwinana Freeway doing 75km/hr holding up traffic in the right hand lane in the 100km/hr zone. When questioned about it he said he believed he was doing 105 KM/hr so he did a few checks and found his speedo it was usually at least 20km/hr out at anything over 25km/hr and the bike could not even reach the 100km/hr. He then checked with a few other scootering mates and found similar results.

Last edited by aussiblue; 29-10-2018 at 08:42 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2018, 08:42 PM   #21
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bent 8 good decision, I've had mates get felled on bikes and scooters just going to work, they then have sold scooter and got a small car.

It seems to follow economic booms? I saw the mining boom in WA and people took leave of their senses, 20km/h over limits, four cars through on red arrows, that kind of thing. Medal of honour went to an old fellow driving the dual carriageway between Mandurah and Rockingham in the wrong set of lanes.

Boom times in Vic at present, it's common to have dual cab up tail if keeping to limit (I know, the guys are flat stick), multiple cars going through after traffic light. Roadworks are everywhere, trucks hauling dirt or building supplies everywhere. Multiple new traffic lights. Economy goes boom and everyone scurries in ant mode. Victorian medal of honour has gone to Text Girl spotted in Melbourne (head pointed down to phone at all times in stop-start inner city traffic), and to Text Mum doing same with baby in baby seat looking out helplessly in my direction. It can't be a Darwin Award if your offspring survive...

Went back to Perth this year and lo and behold, parts of the driving now seemed more mellow. Amazing what a good bust can do to people.

Other thing I remember from driving Echo in old mining boom was it was small, and Landcruisers would not see you were there, and just turn into your lane - so still, take care!
Old 29-10-2018, 09:05 PM   #22
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

https://www.news.com.au/technology/o...ac5cbee2cf3b1a
3 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2018, 09:11 PM   #23
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I was hit twice by cars in the 1970's while riding my pushbike to work; it's no fun.
Old 29-10-2018, 09:17 PM   #24
Rallye Sport
RS The Faster Fords

Yes, seriously wtf is wrong with people, if you went racing down a que only to cut in at the end, or went stepping on peoples toes, in say the pub, you'd be in trouble but people have this sense of anonymity in a car.
If you didn't like the scooter I'd advise against a jetski, they're the scooters of the ocean. No respect from boaty's at the launching ramps and instead of cars and trucks it'll be pleasure cruisers and fishing boats trying to murder you.
Anyway whatever comes of it you've got a new car to enjoy
FG XR50 Daily.
Rallye Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2018, 09:32 PM   #25
Itsme
Experienced Member

You want to know why there are flogs on the roads, just look at the retards who are teaching them.
I see plenty of learners doing stupid maneuvers under instruction from their teachers.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2018, 10:10 PM   #26
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post

Think we all know how this ends...

Last edited by Iggle Piggle; 29-10-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2018, 10:24 PM   #27
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Personally never get how people act towards bikes (pedal and motor). When you think how easy it would be to do some serious damage from even at a slow speed these people have rocks in their heads.

But this is the mentality out there. I guess when mentality is if I don't speed I can do every other stupid moronic rude thing on the road you get this rubbish. This rubbish put me off getting my motorbike licence cause if morons can't see a falcon size car what hope do you have with a bike.
Old 29-10-2018, 10:59 PM   #28
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi,
Feel sorry for you and others on smaller 2-wheelers.

It looks like it helps having a big and relatively noisy bike. I'm not having much of the same problems with my 340kg 2.3 litre 'moped'. (R3)
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2018, 11:01 PM   #29
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really think most people who tailgate don't even know they are doing it.
Since I travel in cars with so many different people at work a couple of times I have had to make a casual remark about their tailgating. With a much less than one second gap I would say something like "I hope this traffic doesn't stop quickly" and each time the response was something like "I'm not that close" Or "I have plenty of space to stop" before they drop back to a more reasonable distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
I slowed down today from 100 to 90kph in a 100 zone as it was bucketing down in my work truck. I then slowed down to turn right at an intersection. Old mate was up my clacker, wound down his window and abused me as I was turning right. For going "slow" I presume ....................
He was probably too brain dead to actually know what he was angry at. I had something similar few years ago, driving at 330pm on a main road heading out of the CBD. There was a little a bit of traffic but everyone doing about 5 under the limit.
Car in front of me slows to turn left, I slow and do the usual rear mirror check to see if I'm about to be rear ended and see the guy behind me throw his hands in the air, change lanes aggressively and swear and carry on as he passes me.

Me not being able to help myself I stop next to him at the next set of lights and calmly ask if there was a problem.
He blew up swearing and carrying on saying I was going too slow.
I asked what I should have done? Ram the other car off the road for turning? Of course he was to dumb to have a response so started swearing more and telling me to drive away before I regret it.

Back when I had the 300c it was a magnet for brain dead idiots. My driving style has been the same over the years but somehow driving the 300c there was always some idiot nearby.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2018, 11:19 PM   #30
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At least you pay rego. Imagine how I get treated on my non registered bicycle..
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: