Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-07-2016, 09:49 PM   #31
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Dodgey Restorations Western Australia Warning!!

23 minute video but the only 2 pre-resto pics look like they were taken by Jaws.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2016, 12:44 AM   #32
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Restoration of an old car is a minefield of disasters.

I've completed one and it was a headf&%$k from start to finish that I will never embark on again.

In defence of restorers. If you want a "full" restoration on car like above completed by others for you and you are not prepared to drop somewhere in the vicinity of $100K IMO you will have issues and compromises in the end product. A full restoration address every component of the car and that takes countless hours.
Exactly the reason a 40 year old restored "faker" is considered a relative bargain under $100k
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-07-2016, 09:15 AM   #33
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There no 2 ways around it , she got ripped off simple! she was better off leaving the car original. Impressive restorations certainly did not live up to there name on this one... 40K spent on a already a clean car should have a mint Result .
Hemihunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2016, 11:02 AM   #34
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf6 View Post
Rock the originality. Save the pretty boy stuff for new cars. Keep your money.
^^^ It's horror stories like this that leave me happy to punt around in my scuffed and faded GT coupe.
FairmontGS is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2016, 11:35 AM   #35
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

No matter what amount this chick did/didn't spend... or what the "true value" of a proper resto is... nothing on her car should have come back in worse condition than it was when she handed it over !

It should either have been improved.. or left as is ! Payments for what work did occur, should be a fair amount, equal to the level of workmanship given.

The best way to avoid future disputes over what should/shouldn't have happened... is to get what work and to what level... and in what timeframe, in writing... before you hand over the vehicle, and/or any cash !
Much easier to prove a breach of any agreement... if its in writing and signed by all parties.

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2016, 12:25 PM   #36
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
^^^ It's horror stories like this that leave me happy to punt around in my scuffed and faded GT coupe.
Wish I still had my Falcon coupe .. but I'm happy to regularly drive my scuffed older cars (2x AMC Javelins and 1x Chev Corvair) whenever/where-ever I can. All of them have less than $10K invested (each) and they get just as many looks as anything else ... because they are unusual. None will will any awards and people will develop a hoarse throat telling me all the things wrong with them ... but I'm driving them, enjoying them and not worrying about $$$ being spent.

I've owned too many old cars that cost me maybe a few thousand $$$ ... I can't comprehend the $$$ people pay for and spend on stuff these days?
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2016, 12:27 PM   #37
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemihunter View Post
she was better off leaving the car original.
Fully agree that going by the few photos of the car before restoration, the car should have been left original and only cleaned up where needed, blending in with the original car. Not a full blown restoration, especially with a limited budget. Car is now probably worth much less than before starting, with the $40k wasted.

I suspect there could have been a communication problem between the customer and restorer. What the restorer intended to do and the customer expected, could have be quite different if only verbal discussion took place. As Gothefalcon above suggested, work to be done should always be specified in detail on paper and signed copies held by both parties so everyone is 100% clear on what is going to be done and to what standard, as well as cost involved and time frame.

Avoid verbal agreements.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2016, 12:51 PM   #38
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Love it how some are implying the crap work was the owners fault for not paying enough....

It was a sound base to start with by all accounts and this still doesn't excuse the damage, poor prep and missing parts.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2016, 02:00 PM   #39
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Love it how some are implying the crap work was the owners fault for not paying enough....

It was a sound base to start with by all accounts and this still doesn't excuse the damage, poor prep and missing parts.
No, it doesn't excuse the restorer for the poor work done and missing parts. And he should have advised the customer much better on what should have been done to the car for the $37k budget, instead of doing what he did.

But what did the customer ask for originally, and the discussions on price etc then? It would be good to know exactly what happened in these discussions.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2016, 04:56 PM   #40
snowcone

That car has been vandalised by that repairer.
There is no excuse for that poor quality work under any circumstances.
It doesn't matter what she paid as he hasn't done anything right.
It is highly unlikely he would have done any better had she paid him $80K instead of $40K as he doesn't have the skills to do the work.
Is there no licensing for vehicle repairers in WA?
2002 Ford Explorer

I only drive V8's
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2016, 07:25 PM   #41
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

He seems to have stung a few people http://placehours.com/en/australia/m...33163380059381
Old 22-07-2016, 07:57 PM   #42
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
He seems to have stung a few people http://placehours.com/en/australia/m...33163380059381
So why didn't the cars owner do some research before taking her car there?

It's not hard to ask around

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2016, 08:12 PM   #43
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
How do you know this is not what happened??

Yeah, who's to say that her car wasn't abducted by aliens, driven around the galaxy for a few hundred years, then transported back in time.

Nobody is disputing that we only have her story for the dollar amounts involved. That's not the issue here.
What we're saying is that if its true that she paid $37k to Phil, got back that shoddy work, and damaged/missing parts, then she got ripped off.
Whereas **** like you are claiming its all her fault because she didn't pay 3 times as much.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2016, 08:15 PM   #44
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
And the parts gone missing, well that happens at those places. Best to have all those parts safely stored away in your spare bedroom wardrobe, not at some 'restorers' workshop.
Yeah, what a stupid *****, all her own fault.
Old 22-07-2016, 08:18 PM   #45
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
So why didn't the cars owner do some research before taking her car there?
It's not hard to ask around
Well she probably tried,
but its hard to ask around when apparently all those people who got ripped off my Phil deserved what they got because they didn't give him $100,000.
Old 22-07-2016, 09:28 PM   #46
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Gotta love the comment from 'Ivy' who left 3 stars out of 5

"Yup, I got burned too. $40 000 out of pocket and a classic car destroyed. I found my motor and gearbox though, yay .. Had a win pffft!"

Like yeah, my car is destroyed and I'm down $40k, but 3 stars and would probably use again.

Edit: haha oh just realised this is the person from the video. 3 stars though?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2016, 09:33 PM   #47
Bosko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Restoration of an old car is a minefield of disasters.

I've completed one and it was a headf&%$k from start to finish that I will never embark on again.

In defence of restorers. If you want a "full" restoration on car like above completed by others for you and you are not prepared to drop somewhere in the vicinity of $100K IMO you will have issues and compromises in the end product. A full restoration address every component of the car and that takes countless hours.
And double that $100K and then some!

Previous
1973 XB GT Coupe 351 4V, 4spd Top Loader and 9" Diff
Bosko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2016, 11:45 PM   #48
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post

Yeah, who's to say that her car wasn't abducted by aliens, driven around the galaxy for a few hundred years, then transported back in time.

Nobody is disputing that we only have her story for the dollar amounts involved. That's not the issue here.
What we're saying is that if its true that she paid $37k to Phil, got back that shoddy work, and damaged/missing parts, then she got ripped off.
Whereas **** like you are claiming its all her fault because she didn't pay 3 times as much.
Clearly you do not understand what is involved in a restoration or have ever undergone the process.

Anyone that has will understand and know that 37K does not even cover panel-work and paint in most cases, yes you do get what you pay for, you can't go and pay 37K and expect 120K worth of work.

What you need to understand is that a drive in drive out resto of a complete and reasonable car runs into around 100K MINIMUM in some cases well over 100K, you can see that she can only get so much for 37K.

My coupe cost more that 37K just in parts, not counting engine/driveline, trim, assembly and stripping, paint, wheels, etc etc. and that is me doing most of the work and all stripping and assembly.

Unless you have restored an old car your comments are probably pointless as really unless you have been through the process you have no idea of what is involved.

And again we are not privy to the conversations involved, and again anyone that thinks they get a car restored for 37K.....if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. If it was as easy as taking an old car to a restorer and handing over 37 K and picking up a mint restored classic everyone would be doing it. Thats why I been going for around 8 years with my restoration that cost me probably double that and still going....

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Last edited by XB GS 351 Coupe; 22-07-2016 at 11:53 PM.
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2016, 01:00 AM   #49
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Clearly you do not understand what is involved in a restoration or have ever undergone the process.

Anyone that has will understand and know that 37K does not even cover panel-work and paint in most cases, yes you do get what you pay for, you can't go and pay 37K and expect 120K worth of work.

What you need to understand is that a drive in drive out resto of a complete and reasonable car runs into around 100K MINIMUM in some cases well over 100K, you can see that she can only get so much for 37K.

My coupe cost more that 37K just in parts, not counting engine/driveline, trim, assembly and stripping, paint, wheels, etc etc. and that is me doing most of the work and all stripping and assembly.

Unless you have restored an old car your comments are probably pointless as really unless you have been through the process you have no idea of what is involved.

And again we are not privy to the conversations involved, and again anyone that thinks they get a car restored for 37K.....if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. If it was as easy as taking an old car to a restorer and handing over 37 K and picking up a mint restored classic everyone would be doing it. Thats why I been going for around 8 years with my restoration that cost me probably double that and still going....
ease up there turbo
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2016, 05:51 AM   #50
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Is she sure it's the same car? With different colour boot with old paint and different plates under hers, it started to look like he jacked up the numbeer plates and swapped the original survivor for some pi$$ poor back yard resto he found somewhere which he then hands back. I'd be checking the vin and body numbers to make sure they're actually correct and not messed with. Go to the workshop and check in the shipping container out the side or the old shed down the back or the old paint booth that's not used any more etc... and make sure her real car isn't tucked away under a tarp somewhere.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2016, 08:11 AM   #51
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Well she probably tried,
but its hard to ask around when apparently all those people who got ripped off my Phil deserved what they got because they didn't give him $100,000.
That's not what I'm saying,

But lest face it in the space of 2 days a link that would have me running screaming away from this clown has been posted

I feel for the lady, she's shelled out good money (perhaps not enough for a full ground up resto) but good money all the same.

I certainly couldn't write a cheque for 37k and not do research first, ask around the club, friends, I've just done a quick google search and aside from a glowing advertorial on the classic cars guys site it's a see of ****ed off people.

I'm still not saying she got what she paid for or any of that but don't you ask a few questions before writing a cheque for this kind of money, hell I know people who don't earn this much money a year

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2016, 07:55 AM   #52
bigeddie351

I felt a little sick when I saw the "before" pictures. I`ve been looking for a survivor like that for ages.... now there is one less.... ****** ****** F**ken ******.
I didn`t watch all of the Vid.... I just couldn`t.
bigeddie351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2016, 10:05 AM   #53
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

This brings back some pain. The engine and gearbox went missing from my VG Pacer while in Andy Barnes' workshop in Perth, he went broke, I have no recourse. Not a normal engine either by the way, lots of all the good stuff in a 340 stroked to 408 and rare steel case Supra Turbo five speed with a one-off bellhousing made to mate the Supra box up to the 340. Car now sits in a mates shed and has done for about seven years, with no engine or gearbox. Just a rolling shell, with all new custom suspension, nine inch and big brakes with Brembo calipers etc. but missing its heart, and with me now living on the other side of Australia it's just all too hard to deal with, so I keep paying rego on a car with no engine that I haven't seen for over seven years.... Nightmare.
Old 25-09-2016, 01:04 PM   #54
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Just a rolling shell, with all new custom suspension, nine inch and big brakes with Brembo calipers etc. but missing its heart, and with me now living on the other side of Australia it's just all too hard to deal with, so I keep paying rego on a car with no engine that I haven't seen for over seven years.... Nightmare.
Why do you keep paying rego?
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2016, 03:26 PM   #55
nstg8a

Quote:
You don't even cover materials with $5K

Labour is expensive and 37K does not buy a lot of panel work, it takes hours and hours to disassemble and re assemble a car, thats why restorations take years in many cases.

There is no way you can get a car restored back to bare metal drive in drive out for 37K, 100-120K would be a starting point then go from there.

Anyone that has done a nuts and bolts back to bare metal restoration would know what I am talking about.

I agree with what you're saying, in this case though if the shop has agreed to all the work and charge 40k then that's on them. Work should still be quality, and there is really no excuse for losing parts.
And workmanship,is pretty terrible.
Going by the before photos I don't see why she would have wanted a full resto? Looked like a very clean survivor

As tney say though, two sides to every story.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2016, 05:02 PM   #56
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

should have just left it original

Last edited by fgpsi; 25-09-2016 at 05:09 PM.
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2016, 06:50 PM   #57
disco

When will people ever learn?

Good original survivor cars in honest useable condition are a gift! A gift of sometimes up to 40 plus years of love, care and nuture by various custodians.

When you decide that some of those scratches and pitting (that add character and patina) are just too much for you, don't flush 40 years of history and millions of $$$ R&D that the orig manufacturer invested in OEM parts and assembly down the toilet. Maybe deal with your OCD in a constructive manner and offload your classic to a new owner who would appreciate it, and just head down to the new car dealership and buy something shiny and new in 2016!

This may just be the car gods dishing out justice to clueless owners of great survivors cars!

Cheers,
Dave
disco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2016, 07:07 PM   #58
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

It's a shame but let's face it, the "restorer" saw her coming a mile off and knew some easy money was walking in the door. The customer was most likely totally ignorant about the work she paid for and ultimately that was her undoing.

Gullibility doesn't get you far in life - there are people out there that measure you by what they can take from you.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2016, 07:22 AM   #59
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Why do you keep paying rego?
It is licenced as a V8 etc. so if I ever sell it or put an engine back in it much easier to go the V8 route by keeping the rego with the v8 engine listed on it etc. But yes the way rego has gone up in WA, it's been expensive to do. I try not to think about it for the most part.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:16 AM   #60
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I see consumer affairs eventually closed him down https://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/annou...storations-pty

Quote:
Consumers affected after car restoration business closes (Impressive Restorations Pty Ltd / Phillip Lowe)
This announcement is for:
Consumer

Consumers have been affected following the closure of a Perth car restoration and panel beating business and Consumer Protection wants any affected consumers to come forward.

Impressive Restorations Pty Ltd, operated by Phillip Kevin Lowe, has closed the doors of its Maddington premises but the company has not yet appointed an administrator or liquidator.

A number of consumers have lodged complaints with Consumer Protection claiming they had been waiting between two and five years to have the restoration of their vehicles completed.

Acting Commissioner for Consumer Protection David Hillyard said paying large amounts to a trader before the work is complete is always risky.

“Some consumers who have contacted us have reported paying between $750 and $52,000 each, some over a long period of time,” Mr Hillyard said.

“Consumers allege they have paid the business in lump sums and others agreed to a payment plan. Payments in these circumstances should be linked to progress of the work rather than being automatic. In most cases, consumers allege the work carried out on the cars has been minimal.”

Consumer Protection is trying to contact the trader and endeavouring to seek administrator or liquidator details.

In the event of a motor vehicle repair business failure, there is a compensation scheme to cover some losses. Claims are limited to $6,000 and only available as a last resort if all other debt recovery actions have failed.

Consumers affected by this closure who have yet to lodge a complaint are urged to contact Consumer Protection by email consumer@commerce.wa.gov.au or by calling 1300 30 40 54.

END OF RELEASE

Media contact (Consumer Protection)
Consumer Protection
Media release
08 Mar 2017