Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-01-2021, 10:26 AM   #1
Terror_Tree
SZ II TS Territory-Black

Default Ranger V Hilux

We recently revived new work utes, 2020 Hilux 4WD, Poverty packs. Because we have some woosies here they was ordered with 6 speed autos. The previous works utes were 2015 Colorados, so we were looking forward to the upgrade.

First impressions of the new Hilux's were disappointing. I still can't find a comfortable driving position, the drivers seat is too high and can't be adjusted down on the poverty packs. The steering wheel is fully adjusted up and out and I still have trouble getting in the thing without twisting like a pretzel, I am 183cm, The dash layout is ok but looks a generation behind. The powertrain is the most disappointing, it is gutless, it might be better with the six speed manual. Sad to say the old Colorado drove better, it was a manual.

Over the last few years I have driven a few Rangers and Everest's and they are so much better than the Hilux. My Father-in-Law bought himself a Povety pack Everest mid last year and it craps all over the new Hilux's we have at work. I find it hard to believe that someone would choose a Hilux over a Ranger, if they have driven both.

FWD is the Devils work
Terror_Tree is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2021, 10:34 AM   #2
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ranger V Hilux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terror_Tree View Post
We recently revived new work utes, 2020 Hilux 4WD, Poverty packs. Because we have some woosies here they was ordered with 6 speed autos. The previous works utes were 2015 Colorados, so we were looking forward to the upgrade.

First impressions of the new Hilux's were disappointing. I still can't find a comfortable driving position, the drivers seat is too high and can't be adjusted down on the poverty packs. The steering wheel is fully adjusted up and out and I still have trouble getting in the thing without twisting like a pretzel, I am 183cm, The dash layout is ok but looks a generation behind. The powertrain is the most disappointing, it is gutless, it might be better with the six speed manual. Sad to say the old Colorado drove better, it was a manual.

Over the last few years I have driven a few Rangers and Everest's and they are so much better than the Hilux. My Father-in-Law bought himself a Povety pack Everest mid last year and it craps all over the new Hilux's we have at work. I find it hard to believe that someone would choose a Hilux over a Ranger, if they have driven both.
You're right, if a choice between the two were based solely on driving dynamics the Ranger sits at the top of the tree...however fleets don't really worry about such things and anyone buying the most basic Hilux or any ute is really probably considering the purchase price. IIRC Ford doesn't even try to match the basic spec Hilux in price.

Throw in the "Toyota reliability and resale" reputation, which isn't as strong in reality as it once was...
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2021, 12:10 PM   #3
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

yes, it's all about 'brand' and 'perception' Most Hilux buyers are diehard repeat customers and won't even look at the opposition. while 10 years ago that was probably okay, the others have obviously come on in leaps and bounds - Hilux doesn't really seem to have radially changed in decades
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2021, 12:11 PM   #4
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Id be more concerned with rust issues in your inlaws Everest than the driving dynamics of a Hilux Workmate fleet vehicle.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2021, 03:01 PM   #5
Terror_Tree
SZ II TS Territory-Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Id be more concerned with rust issues in your inlaws Everest than the driving dynamics of a Hilux Workmate fleet vehicle.
Could you elaborate?

FWD is the Devils work
Terror_Tree is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-01-2021, 03:42 PM   #6
Bossxr8
Peter Car

It’s only the cheap 4x2 fleet specials where Hilux has the sales advantage. Ranger has outsold it in 4x4 for a few years now.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2021, 03:43 PM   #7
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
yes, it's all about 'brand' and 'perception' Most Hilux buyers are diehard repeat customers and won't even look at the opposition. while 10 years ago that was probably okay, the others have obviously come on in leaps and bounds - Hilux doesn't really seem to have radially changed in decades
Thats exactly what it is, I know someone who is in his early 70's who is on his 6th or 7th hilux in a row. Keeps them 5/6 years at a time and replaces them from the same dealer with the SR5 without even cross shopping. Drives old one to same dealer, trades on new one, no matter how much he reads, or how many people speak to him he sticks with the Hilux "because its a toyota mate". That may have been the case 20 years ago but its simply not true anymore...

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2021, 04:13 PM   #8
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
Thats exactly what it is, I know someone who is in his early 70's who is on his 6th or 7th hilux in a row. Keeps them 5/6 years at a time and replaces them from the same dealer with the SR5 without even cross shopping. Drives old one to same dealer, trades on new one, no matter how much he reads, or how many people speak to him he sticks with the Hilux "because its a toyota mate". That may have been the case 20 years ago but its simply not true anymore...
This can be said for many car owners who are loyal to brand name, I guess it just comes down to marketing.
In my early days I was die hard fan for Holden brand no matter what they produced, took me a while to learn there were better brand vehicles available.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2021, 04:14 PM   #9
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
It’s only the cheap 4x2 fleet specials where Hilux has the sales advantage. Ranger has outsold it in 4x4 for a few years now.
Now, coming from a trade background. The base hilux cab chassis can still be bought in the 'low rider' spec. So which is good for underground car parks when theyre typically 2m or 2.1m. So you could fit with a ladder on the roof. I had a px ranger as a work car, and without a ladder it was 1.8, with a ladder 2m or just shy. It was the base spec with the smaller profile tyres. Im pretty sure from px2 on, the base 2x4 rangers only came with the higher profile tyres. So working in high rise buildings and parking underground, its annoying having to take a ladder off the roof and find somewhere to store it, just to park the car.
So my ranger got replaced with a triton that had the extra ride height. I knew my height so anyhow. When i left my last job and gave that car back on the friday. My ex boss called me on the monday to have a laugh. The guy who got that car didnt check his height and 1st job in that car hit a sprinkler in the car park. So i think thats a reason sales of the base 2x4 hiluxs to companies remain strong.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2021, 04:45 PM   #10
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Now, coming from a trade background. The base hilux cab chassis can still be bought in the 'low rider' spec. So which is good for underground car parks when theyre typically 2m or 2.1m. So you could fit with a ladder on the roof. I had a px ranger as a work car, and without a ladder it was 1.8, with a ladder 2m or just shy. It was the base spec with the smaller profile tyres. Im pretty sure from px2 on, the base 2x4 rangers only came with the higher profile tyres. So working in high rise buildings and parking underground, its annoying having to take a ladder off the roof and find somewhere to store it, just to park the car.
So my ranger got replaced with a triton that had the extra ride height. I knew my height so anyhow. When i left my last job and gave that car back on the friday. My ex boss called me on the monday to have a laugh. The guy who got that car didnt check his height and 1st job in that car hit a sprinkler in the car park. So i think thats a reason sales of the base 2x4 hiluxs to companies remain strong.
If someone was half smart they'll market to Ford a Ranger roof height sensor...and pick-up some Toyota sales...
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2021, 07:46 PM   #11
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Ranger is still available in low-ride single cab chassis.

https://www.ford.com.au/build-and-pr...rcial_Vehicles

There are a few reason why Ford lose out on these sales.

As mentioned, there is the Toyota reputation factor.

And look at the RRP in the link above. $32,361 for a base Ranger, and that's before a tray is added. Now that figure is obviously open to negotiation, I got my PX II Ranger with a custom steel tray brand new for $28,000. However even at a discounted price, a base Ranger is still more expensive than a Hilux or Triton. Ford refuse to offer a petrol entry model, something Toyota have no problem selling.

Another factor losing sales for Ford is a lack of automatic transition on the base low rider single cab. That would be a deal breaker for many.

So with a cheaper entry price, available auto and better resale, it's no surprise fleets and tradesman choose Hilux at this end of the market.

For me, I was happy to pay the premium for the Ranger. Over the Hilux it rides better, steers better, has more standard equipment, a six speed manual vs a 5 speed, has a painted front bumper and it looks far tougher.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2021, 08:30 PM   #12
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At work we have MQ DC Tritons which is what I drive, 2.7L man workmate SC Hiluxes and 2.8L Auto DC Hiluxes with both the older 470Nm motor and 500Nm motor. I had to borrow the workmate for a few days and hated the driving position. Much preferred the Triton. I haven’t driven the 2.8L dual cab yet in either motor but I reckon I would be disappointed if the new motor in auto form was as described a few posts up. If I and to spend my money I was looking at the XLT DC Ranger in 3.2L auto due to power and torque ratings as well as they looks tops. When the new Hilux with improved motor came out recently I was a little excited thinking maybe some pricing battles now there was some competition with motor specs being same/similar but if it is a **** driving experience then the Ranger it is. Unfortunately the Amarok in V6 diesel is attractive except for the lack or rear passenger safety aids.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2021, 08:43 PM   #13
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terror_Tree View Post
Could you elaborate?
Check out the Everest section, rust is being discovered in doors, one member said he needed a door and Ford had 6 doors in stock, a week later zero stock due to warranty claims.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2021, 09:38 PM   #14
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
The base Ranger is still available as a low rider. And also high rider 4x2. Petrol was available originally, but the take up on it was so low it was dropped a few years ago. Something like less than 5%.

Would be interesting if they offered the 2.3 ecoboost though, like they do in the US.

The Toyota workmates would just about sell at break even. But i think Toyota would happily take that to boost numbers. Ford doesn’t want to do that just to move units. They want to concentrate on the much more profitable xlt’s, wildtraks and raptors. Which make up the bulk of their sales. Which has been a successful strategy.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:48 PM   #15
turbo4
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have 2 Hilux Workmates and 2 equivalent base model RWD Rangers at work. The Rangers are obviously more expensive, but worth every cent and then some.
The Ranger has significantly more space(My head touches the roof in the Hilux and there isn't enough space to get comfortable), the Ranger is more comfortable, the Ranger has better tech, the list goes on really...
My only complaint with the Ranger, is the manual gearbox, not nice to drive(in my personal opinion).

It was actually pretty funny, one of my coworkers is mad about Hilux's-has his own SR5, wouldn't believe me that the Rangers were better. It was probably partly due to him also being a Holden bloke and not liking Fords, but he kept telling I was full of **** everytime I said the Rangers were better .
Then, he had to drive one for a couple of weeks while his work Hilux was being repaired (you guessed it, DPF). Ever since driving the Ranger, he's done nothing but complain about how overrated the Hilux is, not just the base workmates but all of them.
While his next ute won't be a Ranger, it definitely won't be a Hilux either, he's seen the light...

DJRTP Gold Team Mate ::: Tickford Racing Gold Member

Last edited by turbo4; 08-01-2021 at 10:59 PM.
turbo4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2021, 11:03 PM   #16
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo4 View Post
We have 2 Hilux Workmates and 2 equivalent base model RWD Rangers at work. The Rangers are obviously more expensive, but worth every cent and then some.
The Ranger has significantly more space(My head touches the roof in the Hilux and there isn't enough space to get comfortable), the Ranger is more comfortable, the Ranger has better tech, the list goes on really...
My only complaint with the Ranger, is the manual gearbox, not nice to drive(in my personal opinion).
I’m not a fan of the manuals either. Bit notchy and vague. Not as bad as the indian market Endeavour (Everest) though, which i think might even be a 5 speed. Not a 6. But we don’t get manual Everests anyway. The Endeavour also gets a tan coloured interior we also don’t have the option of here.
Old 09-01-2021, 11:04 AM   #17
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo4 View Post

It was actually pretty funny, one of my coworkers is mad about Hilux's-has his own SR5, wouldn't believe me that the Rangers were better. It was probably partly due to him also being a Holden bloke and not liking Fords, but he kept telling I was full of **** everytime I said the Rangers were better .
Then, he had to drive one for a couple of weeks while his work Hilux was being repaired (you guessed it, DPF). Ever since driving the Ranger, he's done nothing but complain about how overrated the Hilux is, not just the base workmates but all of them.
While his next ute won't be a Ranger, it definitely won't be a Hilux either, he's seen the light...
You absolutely nailed it, I've had similar experiences where dyed in the wool Hilux owners
and drivers realise that Ranger is anything but the piece of junk portrayed in Toyota mythology.

That eyes opened moment is gold.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2021, 12:44 PM   #18
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Ranger is still available in low-ride single cab chassis.

https://www.ford.com.au/build-and-pr...rcial_Vehicles

There are a few reason why Ford lose out on these sales.

As mentioned, there is the Toyota reputation factor.

And look at the RRP in the link above. $32,361 for a base Ranger, and that's before a tray is added. Now that figure is obviously open to negotiation, I got my PX II Ranger with a custom steel tray brand new for $28,000. However even at a discounted price, a base Ranger is still more expensive than a Hilux or Triton. Ford refuse to offer a petrol entry model, something Toyota have no problem selling.

Another factor losing sales for Ford is a lack of automatic transition on the base low rider single cab. That would be a deal breaker for many.

So with a cheaper entry price, available auto and better resale, it's no surprise fleets and tradesman choose Hilux at this end of the market.

For me, I was happy to pay the premium for the Ranger. Over the Hilux it rides better, steers better, has more standard equipment, a six speed manual vs a 5 speed, has a painted front bumper and it looks far tougher.
Ford did have a peterol engine in a couple models of rangers but I do believe discontinued them due to poor sales, real shame since some owners talked highly of these models.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2021, 02:19 PM   #19
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why do people think that Toyota don’t make money on the base model Hilux.
Sure the profit on the initial sale mightn’t be awesome but you have oem accessories to be added at the point of sale.
A lot of them will be serviced at dealers, and as they are treated like crap there must be plenty of oem parts supplied to a vehicle over its lifetime.
It is a money making machine when you multply it out with 5-10 years worth of cars running around.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2021, 03:47 PM   #20
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Why do people think that Toyota don’t make money on the base model Hilux.
Sure the profit on the initial sale mightn’t be awesome but you have oem accessories to be added at the point of sale.
A lot of them will be serviced at dealers, and as they are treated like crap there must be plenty of oem parts supplied to a vehicle over its lifetime.
It is a money making machine when you multply it out with 5-10 years worth of cars running around.
Low rider work vehicles don’t exactly get all the fruit like bullbars, snorkels, light bars etc as dealer or factory fit though do they? Bar trays, and carry bars/boxes, most of which would be aftermarket, they don’t usually get much else. Not compared to what the 4x4’s do.

Vehicles might not even be serviced by Toyota either. But then again, when a vehicle is serviced by a dealership, does Toyota even get any of that money, or does the individual dealership get it all. Filters and parts might net a little bit of profit.