Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-12-2020, 03:34 PM   #91
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Crappy build quality of cars from the 00s

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
1991 to 1995.
Nearly all will have been replaced by now, unless it’s a low mileage example kept in the garage all it’s life.
Those engines the harnesses were fitted to are solid. The same can’t be said for the petrol ones developed post 2000 which are made of cheese.
Couple years ago we got a 1990s SL500 through the shop with that dodgy wiring loom problem.

I have photo of it but it's on my Photobucket account and they're trying to extort me for $7 USD/month even though I'm on a grandfathered premium account.

Entire wiring loom needed to be replaced, good luck trying to source a replacement and the owner didn't want to pay for us to rewire the engine bay.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-12-2020, 01:10 PM   #92
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Couple years ago we got a 1990s SL500 through the shop with that dodgy wiring loom problem.

I have photo of it but it's on my Photobucket account and they're trying to extort me for $7 USD/month even though I'm on a grandfathered premium account.

Entire wiring loom needed to be replaced, good luck trying to source a replacement and the owner didn't want to pay for us to rewire the engine bay.
No wonder a few years back there were so many cheap Mercs for sale on the net.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2020, 05:57 AM   #93
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I had an S Class from the same era with the same engine some years back.
Previous owner put it into the dealer for a miss fire, more than once. They replaced the engine harness both times.
Turns out it was one of the distributor caps. But going off that I assume the dealers list them or can source them.
I haven’t seen them listed on the likes of pelican parts but websites in Europe and UK sell them on exchange basis.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2020, 08:56 AM   #94
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

were those the Mercs that had the removable roof? the one that never fitted properly again if it was stored incorrectly
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2020, 06:21 PM   #95
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No, they were all of them after ~1993. soy based insulation (rather than plastic) designed to break down to be more environmentally friendly when you threw them away after 7 years (that's what they think of their more modern cars, expensive disposable toys).

I was really considering a w124 or w210 or even w202 but was warned away from later production 124s and all 210s/202s because of this issue, so I got old BMWs instead.
Still would like an engine swapped 190e though.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2020, 08:20 PM   #96
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

'things were different back when I was a boy'. My 1948 Packard, original paint, stored undercover, but not garaged, is only starting to fade to metal in some parts, mainly the roof.
1950 Dodge, same storage, original paint, fading on the bonnets, it has two bonnets that open like wings.

I have never used any products on them, - hose, sponge, hose, microfibre twice.
thefargo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2020, 10:38 PM   #97
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefargo View Post
'things were different back when I was a boy'. My 1948 Packard, original paint, stored undercover, but not garaged, is only starting to fade to metal in some parts, mainly the roof.
1950 Dodge, same storage, original paint, fading on the bonnets, it has two bonnets that open like wings.

I have never used any products on them, - hose, sponge, hose, microfibre twice.
1948 packard and 1950 dodge, wow, give us all a treat put up some pictures , please.
cheers mick
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2020, 11:30 PM   #98
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
1948 packard and 1950 dodge, wow, give us all a treat put up some pictures , please.
cheers mick
^^^^^^What He Said^^^^^^^
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2020, 04:53 AM   #99
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldel View Post
No, they were all of them after ~1993. soy based insulation (rather than plastic) designed to break down to be more environmentally friendly when you threw them away after 7 years (that's what they think of their more modern cars, expensive disposable toys).

I was really considering a w124 or w210 or even w202 but was warned away from later production 124s and all 210s/202s because of this issue, so I got old BMWs instead.
Still would like an engine swapped 190e though.
You shouldn’t have to worry about the w210. By 1996 MB had changed the harnesses to suit OBD2 and coil on plug/motronic, and at the same time changed the insulation so it wouldn’t fall apart within five years.
In saying the W210 are 25 years old now so any original harness probably won’t be too flash especially if it has spent its life in urban conditions.

While MB had harness issues at the same time BMW used plastic in the cooling system on the M42/50/60 which never stood the test of time - water pump imperllers, t stat housings, pipes, fittings, T pieces etc.
Old 24-12-2020, 12:55 PM   #100
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Every car has plastic cooling pieces. Even the falcons have plastic side tanks and expansion tanks and if it's OK for them and there, what is the big deal anywhere else?

I've never had an issue, (30 years old and 320k kms on my M50), but I've changed my t/stat housing and pump impeller for an aftermarket brand metal version pretty cheaply because I got sucked into beleiving "BMW cooling systems LOL" from keyboard warriors online (not directed at you but when I was a noob I listened to people that warned me about plastic cooling systems).
Old 24-12-2020, 02:13 PM   #101
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldel View Post
Every car has plastic cooling pieces. Even the falcons have plastic side tanks and expansion tanks and if it's OK for them and there, what is the big deal anywhere else?

I've never had an issue, (30 years old and 320k kms on my M50), but I've changed my t/stat housing and pump impeller for an aftermarket brand metal version pretty cheaply because I got sucked into beleiving "BMW cooling systems LOL" from keyboard warriors online (not directed at you but when I was a noob I listened to people that warned me about plastic cooling systems).
What if you didn’t get sucked in, that pump lived up to its reputation by fracturing the impeller and cooking the engine...
You never know, better to be safe than sorry hey.

BMW were one of the first to implement multiple plastic parts in the cooling system to suit some Euro green requirement for more parts of the car to be recyclable or be of recycled material, I can’t remember the exact reason.

Yeah, have had a few, and had to do a cracked t stat housing on an M60 and top rad hose where the rubber is crimped to a plastic neck on an E39. No major but I know I’d never be doing that on a Falcon within 200k.
Currently have an M30 E34 in the garage awaiting a cooling system overhaul, although these engines are proper old school with parts designed to last longer than the warranty period.
Old 24-12-2020, 02:21 PM   #102
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, anything plastic or rubber in any car is due for replacement at 200k kms or 10 years, it's always been like that, eg I've had radiator/cooling hoses and plastic side tanks fail on a falcon @ 10 years/200k kms.

I wouldn't have kept plastic for that long, I was going to change my t/stat housing, t/stat, expansion tank, hoses in the BMW anyway whether I bought new plastic or the metal parts.
Old 29-12-2020, 12:09 AM   #103
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

At least they still had the quality, solid thunk of the doors...