Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 03-11-2009, 10:53 PM   #1
StormyKnight
'09 Vision 5 Dr Man Zetec

Default 16inch Tyres: Continentals vs Hankook vs Other?

Some of us are getting Continentals, some of us Hankooks, whats the advantages/disadvantages of each & how many km can I expect assuming regular tyre rotation &.....what will I replace the OEM tyre with when they become due?

StormyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2009, 11:07 PM   #2
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The front two Hankook's are going to make 40,000 ks here (maybe) on fairly rough surface roads, you would do better on smooth roads. Not sure what to replace them with yet but another month or 2 and they will be worn into the the indicators, Rears look like they will do 60,000
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2009, 11:42 PM   #3
Fi.ES.TA

i had hancooks on mine when i bought it,but now i have the mags on ive got some cheap raptis ones on and can honestly say im impressed ill be putting them on again stick to the road like glue.
Fi.ES.TA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2009, 12:21 AM   #4
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Funny you say that Fiesta, the BEST tires I've ever had were cheap Maxxis ones on my WP Zetec. They were amazingly grippy, lasted for ages, were cheap and weren't too loud. My Continentals are good, 70% of the time, but like I've said before they lack grip. Push it around corners and they just let go of the road. Either the roads are crap here, I push my car too hard or my WP and it's Maxxis tyres set too high a standard, but I will not be putting these back on. They are horrid in the wet too I discovered last week, they just slip and slide about and the DSC goes mad. Same with roundabouts, push the car slightly in second and they just verve violently while the DSC tries to correct thr obvious FWD shortcomings. Don't get me wrong, they are decent tyres but not for me.

This I'd just my experience, like I say maybe I'm too hard on them.
dannyhilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
BruceT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidTyphoon
Funny you say that Fiesta, the BEST tires I've ever had were cheap Maxxis ones on my WP Zetec. They were amazingly grippy, lasted for ages, were cheap and weren't too loud.
Having had Maxxis before and been very impressed I would get them again if the were available in 195/45 R16's (and weren't too expensive).

- Jeremy Clarkson on the WS Fiesta Zetec
BruceT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2009, 08:10 PM   #6
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They certainly are, same size as my WP Fiesta. They cost me like $130 a tyre when I got mine a few years back, and they were fantastic tyres. Definitely recommended, well the ones I had anyway. My brother has Maxxis tyres on his Falcon ute and he reckons they are great!
Old 04-11-2009, 08:38 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Dad had Maxxis tyres on his 323 but i think he got a faulty batch because the rear two wore out within about 20,000km, completely bald on his 323.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2009, 10:32 PM   #8
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Bridgestone RE001 or go home
Old 05-11-2009, 10:53 PM   #9
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Toyo Proxe T1R's are better.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:50 AM   #10
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

Ill see what Yokohama have, I have them on my XR6 and I am very very impressed with it wet handling/grip. As the fez is my wifes car that is what I look for first.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:55 AM   #11
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwijohn42
Toyo Proxe T1R's are better.
Yea, Iv'e heard a few people including Tyre Dealers say that the T1R are a much better tyre than the Adrenallin's .... I have tried neither so I reserve judgement.

For the record Iv'e got Maxxis MAV-1's on the front of my XR4 ... they seem to last forever which for a lowered front wheel drive car is a feat in itself, mine have done about 20k and still have about 75% tread left ... trouble is they are a little noisy and braking performance is definately compromised compared to better quality rubber.

Iv'e got Toyo Teo Plus tyres on the wifes Lancer and they are a really nice bit of rubber ... extremely quiet, grippy and a great ride, unfortunately they don't make them in 205/40R17 size for the XR4.

Would thoroughly recommend them if available in the correct size for your vehicle ... WS Fez perhaps?

Last edited by robjh80; 06-11-2009 at 10:03 AM.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2009, 10:12 AM   #12
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Kuhmo KU31 awsome tyre at its price and if ur in Sydney buy then from Tempre Tyres as there the cheapest around
Old 06-11-2009, 10:25 PM   #13
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

I thought the Contis were good, but the Toyos are in another league. especially i the wet. & they come in a 195/45 16, but cost $20 more than a 205.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #14
BruceT

Quote:
I thought the Contis were good, but the Toyos are in another league. especially i the wet. & they come in a 195/45 16, but cost $20 more than a 205.
Thanks Kiwijohn,
How much do the Toyo 195/45's cost? What about the contis?

Old 07-11-2009, 08:56 PM   #15
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

They would have cost about $1000. Contis over $1100, but they feel floaty in the wet compared to the Toyos.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:08 PM   #16
BruceT

Quote:
They would have cost about $1000. Contis over $1100, but they feel floaty in the wet compared to the Toyos.
I assume that's for 4, but anyway that's ridiculous. I wont be replacing the Contis with more Contis. It will be Maxxis or Hankooks.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:39 PM   #17
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Don't think Maxxis make tyres that size. Don't know about Hankook. Falken do, but all the reviews I read weren't positive.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:05 PM   #18
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maxxis do make 195/45 16inch tyres. Had them in my WP. Cheap as chips, and bloody good. At least they used to.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:02 PM   #19
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Ah, they do too. Bob Jane or Beaurepairs couldn't find those for me.