Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-10-2017, 07:30 PM   #1
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Driving Test..... too harsh?

***Warning - mindless ranting **

Daughter been learning to drive for the last 16 months, and after a ridiculous 6 week wait for the first available appointment, she was excited to boss the test and finally get her licence.

Everything was ticked off the list during the drive as successful, then when the test was about to conclude she was made to drive to a specific location out of town down a road in which she made a single "critical" error, and therefore failed the test.

The error was not scanning enough while driving through an "uncontrolled intersection" which means there are no give way or stop signs. From what she tells me, she was already only doing 45kph, there where no cars to be seen, so she continued through.

My issue isnt giving way to the right at an uncontrolled intersection, but rather, the expectation to slam the brakes to a near stop at every intersection to thoroughly scan around the corner of the opposing road to see if they have in fact any signs or not to make a judement if it is in fact an "uncontrolled intersection".

I would not be surprised if this part of the road is the instructors favourite trick to have young people pay twice for their licence. (tin foil hat is on!!)

Even then i could deal with that fact, other than, being able to book the next day after the first fail is a fairytale, as the next available booking is another 4 weeks away, which makes me wonder how critical was that error?? Should it have been a minor error, followed by a stern lecture?

falcon_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2017, 07:39 PM   #2
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: Driving Test..... too harsh?

There were no give way signs so backing off and slowing but not stopping but hovering over the brakes whilst having a Bo peep is probably what your daughter did like most people. If it's because she didn't check her mirrors or blind spot that's just moronic. It looks like a straight toad.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2017, 07:40 PM   #3
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Sorry but I agree with the tester to fail her. It might save hers and someone else life one day.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2017, 08:30 PM   #4
comfortablynumb

Looks like a well used trap to me.

Yup.....got another one.

It's a test. She fell for it. Learn and move on.
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-10-2017, 08:40 PM   #5
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Was she driving a Camry?
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2017, 09:20 PM   #6
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_bandit View Post
If that's the intersection in question I'd have to agree with the tester.

Very hard to see anything coming from either direction due to the bushes, especially if the other car was driving over the limit.
Old 18-10-2017, 09:25 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm surprised they didn't fail me on my driving test, I was doing 20km/h over the speed limit at one point, didn't indicate on one turn and apparently going 'too fast' over speed bumps.

First time I ever saw traffic lights was in my driving test, I'd been continually doing all my hours just on country highways
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2017, 09:58 PM   #8
stock1991
Limited supply

I was going to comment then I thought wonder if id pass, strict evaluation
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2017, 10:34 PM   #9
marcyeo

Prediction is all part of driving - and though it IS a little harsh to fail your daughter, in the real world, I admit I get extremely peeved at drivers that stop at every single intersection and look right, then left, then right again, then drive on - when clearly there's no car in sight.

Example is roundabouts when in clear view there is no car approaching from the right - slow down, but coast on through without the need to stop! When even I as the 2nd/3rd car from the front can see that there's not a car in sight - why stop?

Prediction is all a part of being a good driver - and if approaching an intersection even from 50m away I am scanning to ensure there's no cars approaching on either side, so that efficiency of driving - meaning not needing to use brakes as often, a smoother ride for the passengers and yourself, efficiency of fuel to reduce accelerating from a stop, courtesy to drivers behind you not needing to slam on the brakes and also cutting down time on the road/journey is all part of being a courteous, safe and good driver IMO.

It is obviously written in the road rules that you need to stop at every intersection/roundabout and stop sign regardless or posted or not... so I guess they're just going by the book - but still seems excessive - or as everyone has commented already - a trap for young players..

OLD
2010 FPV F6 FG - Herrod CAI, Pedders extreme XA's, Whiteline fr & rear swaybars, PWR stepped IC, injectors, turbo dump pipe with Venom cat, Herrod piping kit = 350rwkw
marcyeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2017, 11:18 PM   #10
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Failing to 'cover the brake' going through a cross road was an instant fail in late 80's in SA when got my licence. My bro failed due to this within 5 minutes of starting his test. I was 18 months younger so knew about this 'trap' when I did my test.

Failing is an effective way to learn something...a great way to teach someone to duck or block a punch is to punch them in the face. It's like that saying that the best way to remember your wedding anniversary is to forget it once...you will never forget it again.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2017, 01:15 AM   #11
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Many of the old RMS test centres had a stop sign at the boundary of the car park, which a lot of people didn't notice. They'd cross the footpath and then stop, rather than stopping before the footpath, and again before entering the road. Failed their test before it even began.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2017, 05:25 AM   #12
Lunch
Wait, what?

Personally I think it's the local government that is to blame, what type of town has intersections on sealed roads without signs!?
Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2018, 09:01 PM   #13
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunch View Post
Personally I think it's the local government that is to blame, what type of town has intersections on sealed roads without signs!?
It could be like Queanbeyan NSW which has more signs than people
Old 06-11-2018, 02:11 PM   #14
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers View Post
Many of the old RMS test centres had a stop sign at the boundary of the car park, which a lot of people didn't notice. They'd cross the footpath and then stop, rather than stopping before the footpath, and again before entering the road. Failed their test before it even began.
The one at Campbelltown was like this.
I noticed just in time.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2018, 02:47 PM   #15
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
The one at Campbelltown was like this.
I noticed just in time.
The old RTA when it was at North Ryde also had a stop sign as you exited the carpark.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2018, 07:38 PM   #16
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Rosie , a fellow workmate was telling me one day about her son Craig's failure of his first driving test . He was going well , done well in the written test and then his examiner asked him to make a turn . It was a place where the turn couldn't be made . Craig hesitated and said to her that he thought it was illegal.

She apparently said "Are you sure about that " . She failed him for two things . First thing was he was too cautious and not decisive enough before suggesting that the requested turn was wrong and secondly for not checking his mirrors enough . He had to re do the test a few weeks later and got it then .

This was probably five years ago now .

Driving examiners have to be tough , fair enough, but there's no need to play mind games with the candidate most of whom are toey enough already .

It's cruel IMO ..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2018, 11:02 PM   #17
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
The old RTA when it was at North Ryde also had a stop sign as you exited the carpark.
Are you refering to the rta that was in ryde on the corner of blaxland road? Thats where i did my test, my dad did his there too way back when. Theres a few hills around there and you have to watch your speed coasting. Or atleast i had to back in February 04. The stress test was the 3 point turn in a laneway. I had to make a starfish 7 point turn because my car couldnt do it in 3 points being a sedan, but i didnt sweat it. Turns out that was the test.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:13 PM   #18
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Yes, Passed my test there as well. Growing up in Carlingford, Blaxland Rd RTA was what we referred to as Top Ryde where the speed camera was / is.

Old 19-10-2017, 06:29 AM   #19
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

In WA at least it usually one mistake however trivial and you are failed. And most people fail there first test. So par for the course.
Old 19-10-2017, 10:34 AM   #20
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
In WA at least it usually one mistake however trivial and you are failed. And most people fail there first test. So par for the course.
Brother lives south of Perth, had his brother-in-law (driving instructor) over for a BBQ and just before he left my brother asked him if he had a busy day tomorrow, to which he replied, "not really, got 3 first timers to fail then it's of to the golf course" i kid you not...
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2017, 09:48 AM   #21
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Isn't the real issue that there are not enough available slots for the test?

A 6 week wait initially than another 4 week wait if you were to fail is ridiculous

I doubt we'd be focused on the subject of the fail if you could book in a reasonable time (a week or two) and then be retested within the week after a fail. Than it would all be considered reasonable IMHO.

Let's not excuse a mistake just because they aren't offering enough opportunity for testing.
Old 19-10-2017, 10:34 AM   #22
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

every reply here is spot on. Its good its created a little discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
Isn't the real issue that there are not enough available slots for the test?

A 6 week wait initially than another 4 week wait if you were to fail is ridiculous

I doubt we'd be focused on the subject of the fail if you could book in a reasonable time (a week or two) and then be retested within the week after a fail. Than it would all be considered reasonable IMHO. Let's not excuse a mistake just because they aren't offering enough opportunity for testing.
Thats pretty much it. However I'd like to think sometimes textbook answers need to make way for cases by case responses. I made her learn for far longer than that was needed, and the tester is well aware of the extended waiting times for repeat tests. The lady said "dont worry youve learned something today so all good." Cant help but think, if the tester had considered she aced everything else, and then fallen for that trap, why not pull her over & give her a talk on what needed to be done, and let her learn something that day......... instead with the 4 week wait it feels like more of a punishment & shes a menace that needs to be kept off the roads.

The way half of us drive on here, i could think of worse things lol.......
4 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2017, 01:30 PM   #23
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sign of the times in this politically correct world. I don't blame the tester.

When I got my license I didn't even sit a test, plod knew we had been driving for years and said you know how to drive, handed over the cash and walked out with a piece of paper.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2017, 02:11 PM   #24
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
The lady said "dont worry youve learned something today so all good." Cant help but think, if the tester had considered she aced everything else, and then fallen for that trap, why not pull her over & give her a talk on what needed to be done, and let her learn something that day......... instead with the 4 week wait it feels like more of a punishment & shes a menace that needs to be kept off the roads.

The way half of us drive on here, i could think of worse things lol.......
Tests of this nature are not designed for interpretation but are ‘black & white’ and to get it wrong is to fail.

I know you wouldn’t think it when you’re on the road but driving is a serious business and softening testing procedures can only have a negative effect and a population already filled with lazy and discourteous drivers doesn't need relaxed easy to pass tests.

As harsh as it may appear your daughter will long remember her error due to failing, much more so then by being given a lecture.

Last week in country NSW a friend’s granddaughter didn’t even get the chance to test as the tester refused because the vehicle had a brake light not working and all her tears didn’t change the fact she was forced to reschedule so the light could be fixed first.

A Cop would have most likely given a warning but an exam tester doesn’t nor would it be passed at a rego check.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2017, 02:04 PM   #25
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Back when I got my licence there was no minimum time or hours on your L plates and only 12 months on your P's (just one type of P plate - red).

L's was a written (multiple choice) test. 40 questions, 5 of which were an instant fail if you got them wrong (which car has right of way in different scenarios), the rest you could get up to 5 wrong...one question I remember was "what does a Dip sign mean" - dip in the road ahead, dip your headlights, or dip your head (I remember thinking WTF at that third one, isn't that low bridge).

Was younger than my mates and knew that when you rang to book your P test the earliest would be 3 months later, so I booked my P test 3 months before my 16th birthday. They weren't happy but there was no requisite to have your L's to book a P test, you just had to have your L's when you undertook the P test, so they had to book it in. Got my L's on 16th birthday, passed my P's 2 days later, so at the age of 17 years and 2 days I had a full licence and could have legally blown up to .08 (limit at the time in SA) except for the fact i was still under the legal age to drink.

And I thought I had it hard compared to elder sister who got hers in the country - single cop town, drive him out to the 4-mile (cross road 4 miles out of town), chuck a U-turn, head back to town and diagonal park between no cars in front of cop shop, then have cup of tea while he typed it up.

Bit differnt to today's requirements
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2017, 02:27 PM   #26
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I still believe in these OH&S times why are parents/relatives still teaching their children to drive anyway.
There's plenty of threads here commenting on bad driving etc but aren't we just passing down our bad habits to newer generations.
At least driving schools have qualifications to teach this stuff.
On the waiting times for testing I guess its just a sign of the times, everything takes 4 times longer now.

Old 19-10-2017, 04:58 PM   #27
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I still believe in these OH&S times why are parents/relatives still teaching their children to drive anyway.
There's plenty of threads here commenting on bad driving etc but aren't we just passing down our bad habits to newer generations.
On the waiting times for testing I guess its just a sign of the times, everything takes 4 times longer now.
I tend to agree with this to the most part but to me what I see with driving schools ~ their like backyard mechanics that recon they know what they are doing but ........ , being on the road a lot my self and driving high tonnage triples or floats or the rest of the trucking biz I get to operate I cant believe how some of these drive when their in the car on their own or when their not what they let their students get away with
and as I see it there is not set thing they have to learn but the bare basics to ne on the road let alone be there with others - and that would start me off on another tangent

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2017, 07:00 PM   #28
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
her first initial time on the road was the worst $350 i ever spent.....apparently i was paying him to talk about where all the tamagochi's were

the rest of the lessons were by me. Probably will just stop there, as it was a little stressful, moreso for my daughter!!
Old 19-10-2017, 07:27 PM   #29
Kicking back

Quote:
her first initial time on the road was the worst $350 i ever spent.....apparently i was paying him to talk about where all the tamagochi's were

the rest of the lessons were by me. Probably will just stop there, as it was a little stressful
I kind of dread the day I have to teach my son to drive. Yeah he is only 8 right now but the lack of interest in anything that's not a touch screen is something that concerns me. I missed the no green p plates thing by only a few months. That sucked. 0.2 booze limit till I was 20. It was my age that created that issue. I signed off on my what turned out to be but we don't get along now wifes log book as a p plater and somehow that worked. It's not 2005 anymore so I doubt that would work. What I can see from alot of the younger people I work with and I see it with my son all the time is it's not lack of focus. Its lack of spacial awareness. By that I mean the task at hand can have full focus but it's like a race horse with blinkers on. Anything happening around the focus point gets missed. I started young. When I was 12 I used to run my brother up the street for smokes when he was too far gone to drive. Yes it was stupid but so was I at 12. But at that age your brain is a sponge and you absorb things. I'm not saying throw kids in cars, quite the contrary. But maybe, just maybe explain things before it's the time to learn the physical aspect of driving so maybe things said prior have sunk in. My dad used to alway say to me as a kid on main roads indicate before you start looking for gaps to change lanes. His logic was if someone sees the indicator and leaves space when you look and see the gap then you can move in. That stuck with me as opposed to finding a gap then indicating and moving over on a person when they may not have known you were about to do that.
4 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2017, 04:48 PM   #30
wobblysauce
316,500km

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
..And I thought I had it hard compared to elder sister who got hers in the country - single cop town, drive him out to the 4-mile (cross road 4 miles out of town), chuck a U-turn, head back to town and diagonal park between no cars in front of cop shop, then have cup of tea while he typed it up.

Bit differnt to today's requirements
Sounds like a few stories I know of, fuel shortage...
1, Just drove around the block. Licence.
2, Get some eggs from the store. Licence.
3, Get the Newspaper. Licence.

Was going for the Barra 1,000,000km... but was cut short, time to reset the clock.
wobblysauce is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post