Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 20-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
shepv8
V8's for ever

Default How to reset fault codes

Hi all,
as the title suggests, Is there a way of resetting codes. Does it matter if you drive with one on ie, does the engine go into a limp mode. Im having trouble with the IMRC.

shepv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
fordmondeoman

fault codes that are stored wont effect the car at all, as there just a code to help diagnose a problem, its only if the problem is present then what ever the fault is will cause a issue with the car, this goes with all control units not just engine ecu
Old 20-01-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Here is how I do it: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11312804
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2011, 12:57 AM   #4
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

About "limp modes" & "fault codes"

This is whats stated in the Dealer Service Training Manual from the Ford Service Training Institute, that I have on the LS focus.

It talks about how the EOBD system works which in short motitors the systems of the engine.

It says

-If a monitoring system detects a fault and this is confirmed , the emission control malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) is switched on

-The fault protocols contain information about the nature of the fault and distance traveled since the illumination of the MIL.

- The emission control MIL ensures that a fault is recognised promptly so that repairs can be carried out quickly and high exhaust emissions avoided.

-The customer is recommended to take the vehicle to a Ford dealership as they have the necessary special tools and test equipment for systematic fault finding & rectification.

-Another part of the EOBD is the Data Link Connector (DLC), which has been standardised for all makes of vehicle and through which the monitoring authorities can read faults which affect emissions, which are recorded in the control module.

In another section it states-

-When a fault has be rectified , the fault memory must be cleared. The fault memory is part of the KAM (keep Alive Memory).

-Particularly after engine components have been changed, it is advantageous to clear the complete KAM, which includes the adaptive trim tables (self-learning tables)

-When the fault memory has been cleared, the code P1000 is stored in the KAM. this code is called a rediness code.

-The rediness code indicates that not all the monitoring systems have compleated their tests since the KAM was cleared.

-The rediness code is not deleted until all the tests of the monitoring system have been carried out during a drive cycle.

-This makes sure the vehicle is in order.

-If the system is not in order the emission control MIL when the fault is confirmed during the second trip.

I would reccomend getting the problem fixed by a mechanic because if there is a problem & you dont fix it properly the car can learn to drive around it thanks to its self-learning tables.
but may result in restricted performance, increased emissions & possibly reduced econonomy.

This is because the if the car sences something wrong it can adjust the ignition timing & the injected fuel quantity accordingly through an electronic throttle body.

I hope this helps
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2011, 07:50 AM   #5
shepv8
V8's for ever

yeah, thats some good feedback there guys. Thanking you. I took it to a mechanic who wasted all day and only gave it back to me saying "the manifold air intake control actuator " has a fault code. Im trying to get the actual code off him so I can accurately locate the problem. ( I wouldnt mind having a copy of that service manual you have!!!).........so, Im now looking to buy an OBD2 scantool so I can read my own fault codes and map realtime sensor operation/outputs.
shepv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
spedwards

For a list of fault codes, general and Ford specific, check out http://www.focusowners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27449
spedwards is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2017, 11:40 AM   #7
brucewarring

Default Re: How to reset fault codes

I have been thru all I can find but I cannot find the DLC connector. I have just brought a LS Ghia
brucewarring is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2017, 01:28 PM   #8
brucewarring

Default Re: How to reset fault codes

Found it staring at me on the drivers side....
brucewarring is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post