Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Falcon GT club of SA > General Discussion

Old 04-06-2015, 08:20 AM   #1
Revhead70
Starter Motor

Default car hoist

Hi all
I was thinking of buying a Tufflift car hoist and was after some feedback whether or not to get one or to buy a different brand
Any information on the subject would be appreciated
cheers
Revhead70 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2015, 08:41 AM   #2
PCT302

Default Re: car hoist

I got the 4 poster about 4 years ago and have had no problems, and my mate got the 2 poster about 6 month ago all good
It is one the best investments I have made, makes life much easier.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:04 PM   #3
Revhead70
Starter Motor

Thankyou PCT302 for your reply
I've looked around and I'm pretty sure that's the one to buy
I've had enough of crawling under cars and like you said I'm sure it will be money well spent
cheers
Revhead70 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2015, 07:17 AM   #4
Jake366
Starter Motor

Hoist is the way to go
Jake366 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2015, 08:11 AM   #5
grantdlr

I have a Tufflift 2 poster.... awesome for the home. could never go back to not having one. the 4 tonner has no issues with our Territory and Ranger
grantdlr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2015, 10:51 AM   #6
66FAIRLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought a Chinese 2 poster off an agent here in Adelaide. Took a bit of a chance but as I am a Boilermaker I thought I could strengthen if anything looked suss. Thankfully it has been awesome. Had it nearly 2 years. The steel looks thick enough and the welds look good enough. Bought when the dollar was about parity. The only issue I had was not with the hoist but the floor. I don't reckon I got the 4" slab I paid for! Looked more like 3". Luckily it is 32mpa. The one thing I did do was make a heavy bar that went up to the roof and across between the posts to stop it collapsing inward on itself (& me). I did not put a car on it until I had done this. I have also put plastic coated stainless fishing trace across the roof hanging about 10" below connected to a limit switch so I don't put anything through the roof! Installed after pic below was taken.

Probably still have the guys phone no. if you are interested.

66FAIRLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2015, 01:45 PM   #7
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revhead70 View Post
Hi all
I was thinking of buying a Tufflift car hoist and was after some feedback whether or not to get one or to buy a different brand
Any information on the subject would be appreciated
cheers
Do you have a link for this hoist??

As I am in the process of looking at buying one, I have build my shed and slab so I can put a 2 post and 4 post, but will start with one.

I looked at some Chinese ones on eBay, but was a bit concerned when the listing says, 'Australian Standards Certification Pending', I have watched these listings for a while (about 2 years as thats how long it has taken me to get my shed) and it appears putting this in the listing is an out for the seller.

The Australian Standards compliant ones seem to cost a bit more, but how much is your car and more importantly your life worth?? I will definitely buy something that has been tested and certified by Australian standards AND Work Cover or what ever they are called now.

I can fit two hoists in front of the mezzanine floor, my workshop and work benches are under the mezzanine.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2015, 02:34 PM   #8
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

I recently bought a house with a 2 post hoist already in it, it is a RADUM brand but is a chinese import. I had a hoist bloke come out to inspect it for peace of mind before i started using it, and he was very impressed with the quality and robustness of it.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2015, 03:50 PM   #9
66FAIRLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
As I am in the process of looking at buying one, I have build my shed and slab so I can put a 2 post and 4 post, but will start with one.

I can fit two hoists in front of the mezzanine floor, my workshop and work benches are under the mezzanine.
Both would be brilliant. You cant do wheel alignments or exhaust work on a 2 poster.
Nice shed.
This user likes this post:
Old 23-10-2015, 08:16 PM   #10
XA5800
I'd rather be blown

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66FAIRLANE View Post
I bought a Chinese 2 poster off an agent here in Adelaide. Took a bit of a chance but as I am a Boilermaker I thought I could strengthen if anything looked suss. Thankfully it has been awesome. Had it nearly 2 years. The steel looks thick enough and the welds look good enough. Bought when the dollar was about parity. The only issue I had was not with the hoist but the floor. I don't reckon I got the 4" slab I paid for! Looked more like 3". Luckily it is 32mpa. The one thing I did do was make a heavy bar that went up to the roof and across between the posts to stop it collapsing inward on itself (& me). I did not put a car on it until I had done this. I have also put plastic coated stainless fishing trace across the roof hanging about 10" below connected to a limit switch so I don't put anything through the roof! Installed after pic below was taken.

Nice Cars , What wall height do you have for the Hoist

Previous rides:
BFGT COBRA number 33, BAGT, BMW 535 E39
80 SERIES LANDCRUISER X2
XAGT 4 DOOR , XC COBRA, XYGT, XA GT COUPE , XYGT , HD Holden sedan,
V6GT CAPRI converted to V8, MAZDA RX2.
XA5800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2015, 08:18 PM   #11
XA5800
I'd rather be blown

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66FAIRLANE View Post

Nice Cars , What wall height do you have for the Hoist?

Previous rides:
BFGT COBRA number 33, BAGT, BMW 535 E39
80 SERIES LANDCRUISER X2
XAGT 4 DOOR , XC COBRA, XYGT, XA GT COUPE , XYGT , HD Holden sedan,
V6GT CAPRI converted to V8, MAZDA RX2.
XA5800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2015, 08:32 PM   #12
GSP07R

Once my house is built i am getting a Tufflift 2 post.
I'm lucky to have 3.6m ceilings in the garage.

http://www.tufflift.com.au/products/...e-drop-in-pads
GSP07R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2015, 11:38 PM   #13
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

4 post with jacking beam, nice and safe.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2015, 02:04 AM   #14
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I get round to it , it'll be a scissor lift for me so the posts arnt in the way with my small shed and when down its a level floor

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2015, 02:31 PM   #15
66FAIRLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
4 post with jacking beam, nice and safe.
If you have the room this is without doubt the best option. Best of both worlds.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:52 AM   #16
syco26
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Sorry for waking an old thread but wondering what lifts you two gents end up getting? I will hopefully be in a position to get one soon and am after recommendations also.
syco26 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2017, 02:09 AM   #17
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

I got this, with jacking beam.

http://www.aaq.net.au/shop/detail/4p...-parking-lift/

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 08-01-2017, 07:57 AM   #18
paulie

Ive had a Molnar 2.5T 2post overhead (clear floor) hoist for almost 15 years. Has been brilliant.

And its locally made so the $$$ stay in Australia
paulie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2017, 10:10 AM   #19
syco26
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Thanks for the replies. After posting I thought this section was dead and probably should have posted elsewhere. Good to see people still watching the SA space.
Aaron do you find the running tracks get in the way at all when working under there? Always wanted one of each but think at this stage I will have to settle for one and can't decide if a 2 or 4 post is the way to go. With a 2 post you get clear access under your car and no extra jacking to pull wheels and do suspension. 4 post are a lot easier to drive onto and get the car up safely and has the added advantage of storing a car.
Pauline I just searched for them and can't seem to find any listed new however they are still fetching good coin second hand. Will keep searching.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:36 AM   #20
paulie

Molnar are an Adelaide based company i think?

http://www.molnarhoists.com.au/hoist...s/universal-2/

Not sure if link will work?
Molnar are usually a bit dearer. But thats because they're made in Australia etc. We have higher standards of not just the product but for our businesses etc and labour is dearer etc.

It does mean you have supported an Australian company and being a local if you have trouble with it you can go to the manufacturer direct etc for help or parts etc.

In 15 odd years mines needed nothing more than a grease and an adjustment.
Obviously if it was in a commercial use parts would wear more etc. But im lucky to put mine up/down twice a month.

Definitely beats laying on the ground.
Having the clear floor makes it easier and safer while working under it.
Yes it takes a bit longer to put a car up than a 4 post hoist but being its a personal hoist not a business im never in a hurry.
Does make it easier to remove wheels, suspension, diffs etc over a 4 post hoist. And the main arms dont get in the way like a 4 poster (which is a bit like working in an open pit.

Both have there advantages and disadvantages.
Ultimately one of each would be the go.
But ive managed to do everything with a 2 post hoist.
If i need to have wheels under load etc i have to fall back to ramps etc on the ground. But thats not something ive had issues with.

As for exhausts you learn how to compensate. On my older cars (which are the only ones ive made exhausts for - newer cars are off the shelf type so are easy) ive just removed shock and spring and moved the rear axle up into position using a stand. (It moves freely and safely without springs etc)
Then you can work out clearances etc for pipes.

Either way you go your back will love you for it, buying a hoist.
Plus you will make many "new friends" a bit like buying a car trailer. ..... lol

* try calling molnar direct. Ive heard a rumor the new 2 poist hoist may be on sale atm....
Old 08-01-2017, 11:46 AM   #21
syco26
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Thanks Paulie. Link works.
I have worked under a 2 post before and loved it. I haven't worked under a 4 post but have been under one and there just seems to be a lot less room to work. The 4 post does appeal to me for the stability of the car in the air but would need the added cost of the floating jack/jacking beam.
Could imagine that the addition of a hoist would make me quite popular but the only mates that would have the right to use it are the mates that have laid under my cars to help out.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2017, 12:03 PM   #22
paulie

Try owning a ute a trailer and a hoist..... lol
Unbelievable the thoughts of some people..

"But you have a (ute/trailer/hoist) we can just use that...."
Yes ' I ' have a ( x..) thats because i didnt do the 24 bali holidays and saved and bought them. Lol
Its funny how they then get offended, like you OWE them something.
Only mates ive allowed to use are the same as like yours. And even then its rare mainly due to pride (theit own) they never ask.
Had to almost blackmail a and break a mates arm to get him to use my hoist once.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:23 PM   #23
syco26
Donating Member
Donating Member2

^^Difference between mates and friends.^^
2 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2017, 01:05 PM   #24
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

This why I got 4 post. Its just so I dont have to lay on my back. Cars go high enough to sit and work on a roller seat. PERFECT.

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 08-01-2017, 03:24 PM   #25
syco26
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Being almost 2m tall that would bother me, hate ducking. My shed is 3.6 at the eves so I should have ample height.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:54 PM   #26
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guys, I'm assuming most of these units are run by 3 phase power?
Would a single phase unit be okay for occasional work?

What I'm meaning is you don't have to wait for the grass to grow till it raises to full height.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post