Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-04-2018, 12:05 PM   #1
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Shelby Daytona

For a weekender, this ticks all the boxes.
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...tml?refer=blog
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-04-2018, 12:13 PM   #2
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 
Default Re: Shelby Daytona

Beautiful car and love British Racing Green too.

Wish I had his ear before he decided on engine configuration and transmission.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2018, 01:22 PM   #3
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
Beautiful car and love British Racing Green too.

Wish I had his ear before he decided on engine configuration and transmission.
Were you thinking 428 & a 5 speed man?
Old 13-04-2018, 02:09 PM   #4
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
Were you thinking 428 & a 5 speed man?
For engine, the original Daytona Cobra Coupes came with physically small 8.2" deck height 289s. A 9.5" deck height 351W is significantly physically bigger and heavier. Why not a 377cid "289" using a Dart 8.200" Dart block with a 4.200" bore? Why not? Looks like a 289.

I agree to stay with the skinny heads and Edelbrock are good, but I wonder which ones? There are some very good cylinder heads out there. CFE Pro Kings maybe? Come on, it's a Cobra.

Crane cam. They have some dated profiles.

Real block, real heads, real cam, real displacement and everything else. To get a streetable 630hp on pump fuel from a 377 is fruit on the vine waiting to be picked. Easily more, if the driver needs a bigger smile on their face.

He's got an F350 transmission in a Cobra. If a 3 speed auto works for him, why not replace the C6 with a C4? Save a lot of weight that way and not just static weight.

But, as you suspected, I would lean toward a manual and would talk with the folks at G-Force before deciding on transmission.

Oh well, it was his build...but notice it is up for sale now. Wonder why?
2 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2018, 02:33 PM   #5
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
Oh well, it was his build...but notice it is up for sale now. Wonder why?
I often wonder why so many guys sell up so soon after years & $$$ poured into a car, often for a loss. Anyway, good call re the 289. The 1963 AC Cobra 289 apparently developed around 270hp, 0-100km 5.6sec and a top speed 225km/h I assume a 289 built today would do a little better? I love the idea of a light weight V8 with a 5 speed and really get the handling sorted.
Old 13-04-2018, 03:07 PM   #6
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

If built at 289cid, 450hp in a sports car like a Cobra would be a good goal. Follow the original Cobra formula (light weight/good power) and a 289 FIA could be quicker than the original 427 AC Cobra.
Old 13-04-2018, 04:15 PM   #7
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
I often wonder why so many guys sell up so soon after years & $$$ poured into a car, often for a loss. Anyway, good call re the 289. The 1963 AC Cobra 289 apparently developed around 270hp, 0-100km 5.6sec and a top speed 225km/h I assume a 289 built today would do a little better? I love the idea of a light weight V8 with a 5 speed and really get the handling sorted.
Keep saving

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...a/1807854.html

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2018, 07:01 PM   #8
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2018, 07:09 PM   #9
CJR09
RPO 77

Quote:
I often wonder why so many guys sell up so soon after years & $$$ poured into a car, often for a loss.
Because regardless of what has been poured into the build (that is a good or bad decision pre-build), straight after the build is the point at which the owner will get the highest ROI - speculation aside.

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2018, 01:39 AM   #10
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJR09 View Post
Because regardless of what has been poured into the build (that is a good or bad decision pre-build), straight after the build is the point at which the owner will get the highest ROI - speculation aside.
Do you reckon that is the main motivator generally?
Old 14-04-2018, 06:34 AM   #11
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sometimes people enjoy the building part so when its finished it's on to the next project
Old 14-04-2018, 08:28 AM   #12
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l View Post
Sometimes people enjoy the building part so when its finished it's on to the next project
A lot of people building the project is the enjoyable part .....If there's nothing they want to change then drive it for a bit , get bored ......then start dreaming up the next project

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: