Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 28-03-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
FordFan1

Default Future value of Mondeo XR5?

Just wondering what you guys think future resale of Mondeo XR5's will be like now that Ford OZ has announced that they will stop importing them come June/July of this year?

I just bought one and I'm concerned about resale and spare parts availability.

FordFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 09:19 PM   #2
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't worry too much. I don't see the end of the XR5 being any different to when a new model comes out and an old model is superceeded. Eg E series ends AU starts.

Cars depreciate, prices always drop
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 09:20 PM   #3
Kryton

Spare part availability should not be an issue, usually they will stock/supply parts for up to 10 years in cases like this.

If your worried about resale values, you probably shouldnt have bought it new.
The fact that Ford has stopped importing them wont have a direct affect to the resale value to the point that it will either take extra dollars off or add dollars on.

Depreciation is depreciation, the car will be worth less and less every year - thats just how it is.
There may be a point in many years to come when for some reason people want an old XR5, that may bring the value up a bit or hold it a bit higher than your average car of that style and era.

Basically though, your car isnt going to be worth any more now, or any less just because they wont import more of them.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 09:22 PM   #4
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

I can't see the value being influenced much by Ford decision to stop importing these cars. All parts are imported anyway so getting parts in the future shouldn't be a concern either. If anything they may become more exclusive but that will take 10 years or so, in the meantime they have a long way to fall before they 'might' start coming back up again.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 11:05 PM   #5
FordFan1

Thanks for the reply guys. Due to nature of my work I tend to change cars over quickly, and try to lose as little as possible. I knew when I bought my Mondeo XR5 that this was unique and may be more difficult to sell in the short term. Just thought this may make it more difficult.

I'm contemplating holding onto this one for a longer period, as I really like it.

For your info I just bought a 2009 model MB XR5 Turbo. My chip it now to give it a bit more power.
FordFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 12:01 AM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Shouldnt have too many dramas keeping in mind most of the parts are shared across it and the other models like the titanium, its really only engine / gearbox components that may be an issue...

Nice car!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
ian b

bearing in mind that the engine/gearbox are not unique to the mondeo, then parts should not be a problem
Old 29-03-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

My understanding is the engine is just about finished its run now. Volvo aren’t producing them any more and the last of Fords stock is being reserved for the Focus, that said engine parts should not be an issue as there is aftermarket stuff available in Europe. The gear box is a Getrag unit which is common across the Focus and Mondeo range in Europe (not just the 2.5T models) and they are a pretty tough box so don’t see it being a big problem in the future.
Old 29-03-2010, 11:49 PM   #9
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was under the impression the present gearbox is an Asian and the Double Clutch was a Getrag
apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 10:10 AM   #10
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nope, the manual box in the XR5 Focus and Mondeo is definitely a Getrag unit.
Old 30-03-2010, 10:38 AM   #11
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Hi all,

Ford confirmed not long ago that Mondeo XR5 and Focus XR5 will cease production all together. This is due to the engine being phased out (and the new models out soon). You shouldn't worry too much about the resale value of the car. They're still a very sort after car and not uncommon for a 3 or more month wait on them.

If you bought the car for just having a car, then ok, worry about the resale value etc. But, if you bought the XR5 for a driving pleasure, resale shouldn't even be thought about at this stage. I know i'm loving my XR5

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 10:00 PM   #12
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Yep the gearbox is an M66 Getrag box. Easy to get parts from OS.

As for the engine heaps of cars share the donk, focus XR5/ST, mondeo 2.5t, Volvo C30, Volvo S40 etc.

Parts wont be a problem, you can get most parts dirt cheap from the US from places like iPD.

And the resale of the mondeo is already "average", so if you want one just buy it. IMO its not going to get worse...
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2010, 10:51 PM   #13
Zippy7

My wife observed the other day that the XR5 Mondy is the 2nd brand new car that I have bought, that was discontinued not long after purchase.
Last time around, I thought my trade/resale value did suffer a bit, but we did like the car and it wasn't a massive loss. I guess this time around, if we keep the Mondy a bit longer, we should be okay (I bought a 2nd hand car in between, but found that lost just as much money).
Old 03-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #14
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

these days they all seem to lose about half their value after not many years... i may hang onto mine for a while seeing as i'll never be able to buy another new one...

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2010, 11:16 PM   #15
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's nice to buy new (I've done it once), but when you can buy a one-year old car for about two thirds of the new price, it's just not worth it. But enjoy your XR5 - I doubt that the Ecoboost 2.0 will be quite the same car.