Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 13-03-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
Simon_Koala
Starter Motor ?

Default Considering buying a mondeo

My Territory lease is coming to an end, and so I'm looking at the alternatives, as whilst the terri over its four year lease has been and still is a great car, I do feel that I need a change.

Have been thinking about the XR5 mondeo, but notice that its in the process of being discontinued, so maybe not a good idea to buy one ? Thoughts ? Maybe will be hard to get parts in the future and thus affect resale values ?

So my question is, what would be the best mondeo to buy, where $ is not a determining factor in the decision ?

Main usage is commuting to/from work, dropping kids to/from school, and a bit of weekend cruising with the family (2 kids). Liked the idea of the XR5 as it is a bit more fun to drive than a n/a territory.

Any advice and general comments appreciated. Am also considering the XR5 focus, but I suspect that it will be a bit small. Other cars I'm considering include the my08 imprezza sti (nice, but not sure I want to spend the extra on this), the mazda 3 mps (reviews are generally not too good though), nissan murano (looks a good practical family wagon type car), as well as the usual territory type alternatives like the mazda cx7 and cx9s but really gravitating away from that type of vehicle and looking at something more 'car' like with a sporty twist to it.

Cheers, Simon.

Old 13-03-2010, 11:58 PM   #2
obione980

Hmmm! The Mondeo is surprisingly spacious - and access to the large boot is easy too. I drive the diesel hatch - and that's a conscious decision.

I like diesel torque - and cruising behaviour. My previous car was an NP DiD Mitsu Pajero (Exceed) - and I enjoyed it very much.

The Mondeo is comfortable, tight - and responsive. Excellent on longish drives. It has a very European feel to it (compared to the Falcon or Japanese cars). Equipment levels on the Mondeo are high - and the 'extras' are functional.

Around town - there are faster cars away from the lights (but they're payin'!). The safety gear on the Mondeo is impressive.
obione980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 12:18 AM   #3
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I drove an XR5 Turbo Focus today and im sold.. The best small hatch ive ever driven in my life, just shameful it doesnt have cruise control!

I havent driven a Mondeo but I have been told that they arent as spirited as Focus, and I hate the wheels on the MB XR5T.

Go drive the XR5 Turbo Focus!!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
Zippy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_Koala
Have been thinking about the XR5 mondeo, but notice that its in the process of being discontinued
Who told you the XR5 Mondeo was being discontinued? Was it a dealer that wanted to steer you into a different model?

I have 2 kids, and still have both in booster seats (they turn 5 and 7 this year). I think it is nice and spacious enough to carry their junk in the boot, whereas I had felt a bit squashed in the Focus (and it only had 4 seats in leather). In my case, the missus drives it 5 days out of 7, and she doesn't want or need anything that is harder (WRX, V6T, V8).

The 5 cylinder turbo in the XR5 Mondeo is shared with the Focus, as well as the Volvo's (they had 'em first).

I thought of the Mondy as a Euro Falcon - practically as big, boot is good (shame about the early MA hatches), is quite safe, and feels solid.

I've only put on around 11,000kms and we haven't had any real issues. For the money, it was the only real option for me. I had considered the Mazda6, but I felt that was way overpriced in comparison.

Last edited by Zippy7; 14-03-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Zippy7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 09:14 PM   #5
Simon_Koala
Starter Motor ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7
Who told you the XR5 Mondeo was being discontinued? Was it a dealer that wanted to steer you into a different model?

I have 2 kids, and still have both in booster seats (they turn 5 and 7 this year). I think it is nice and spacious enough to carry their junk in the boot, whereas I had felt a bit squashed in the Focus (and it only had 4 seats in leather). In my case, the missus drives it 5 days out of 7, and she doesn't want or need anything that is harder (WRX, V6T, V8).

The 5 cylinder turbo in the XR5 Mondeo is shared with the Focus, as well as the Volvo's (they had 'em first).

I thought of the Mondy as a Euro Falcon - practically as big, boot is good (shame about the early MA hatches), is quite safe, and feels solid.

I've only put on around 11,000kms and we haven't had any real issues. For the money, it was the only real option for me. I had considered the Mazda6, but I felt that was way overpriced in comparison.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Re my comment being that its being discontinued, isn't this thread what this is all about
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11287409

I have booked a test drive for the focus XR5 tomorrow, but I think I'll come away thinking what you've said re it so I'm not holding out much hope.

I guess my main concern with the XR5 is the cost. Considering it is essentially a Euro falcon, I think that low 40k is just a bit too steep. Mid to high 30's is ok, but low 40's ??? and it doesn't even have gps or an option to factory add it on ....
Old 14-03-2010, 09:15 PM   #6
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Who told you the XR5 Mondeo was being discontinued?
Confirmed by a Ford Oz man at the Capital All Ford Day today - driving a MB Titanium 2.3 petrol. XR5 motor in non-Euro4 emissions compliant. Engine to be replaced by EcoBoost with 145kw (as against current 162kw).
Now if I can find one a my local dealers (3wks and none in town), I'm finally going for a test drive.....and probable purchase. Seems local supply (at least) is s-t-i-l-l an issue.

This guy has his choice of the company products as company car....every 6 months. Reckons the Mondeo is the best on offer at the moment. Beats FG G6E hands down, and better to live with the XR6T.
If it was written off tomorrow... he would get another one, but TDCi.
(Even provided a reasonable technical explanation of the DSG 'auto' box.)
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 09:17 PM   #7
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Pocket rocket....go for the Focus XR5.
Capable new-gen GT cruiser......Mondeo XR5...with cruise!
Old 15-03-2010, 05:26 PM   #8
MOND30
If You Seek AU

Depending on your timeframe, it could be worth hanging out for the reported Mondeo engine upgrades mentioned above, reportedly due mid-year, new petrol and diesel that both appear to be a significant upgrade over the current units.

I'm quite happy with my Titanium TDCi but the new one sounds like a ripper.

Alternatively the impending upgrade gives you better bargaining power on a current model...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5x..._OYiDekVUlmEhg
MOND30 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2010, 06:01 PM   #9
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go to the 2010 Update thread that should wet your appetite

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2010, 10:47 PM   #10
Zippy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_Koala
Thanks - I hadn't seen that thread - and it was quite far down (don't seem to get that much time to surf/read forums anymore with the kids). :(

Anyway, I'm quite happy with my XR5, even if it does get discontinued!

When we compared the Falcon with the Mondy, we were happy to pay for the Mondy. YMMV, but I couldn't get comfy behind the wheel of the Falcon, the interior is a bit better in the Mondy, and the Falcon is always going to remind me of a taxi.

As for GPS, I have a small portable one. My brother has it built into his Liberty, but it costs big $$ to update, so he doesn't - whereas a new portable GPS is cheap, and only keep getting cheaper. IMHO the bluetooth and voice control more than compensates for the lack of GPS.

But good luck finding something you're happy with. For me, the alternative would be a very expensive step up to the Liberty GT...
Old 03-04-2010, 12:11 PM   #11
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I guess my main concern with the XR5 is the cost. Considering it is essentially a Euro falcon, I think that low 40k is just a bit too steep. Mid to high 30's is ok, but low 40's ??? and it doesn't even have gps or an option to factory add it on ....
The only comparison between a Mondeo XR5 and a Falcon is size mate. As for $$$ you only have to take a look at what you get standard in the XR or Titanium spec Mondy's to understand the cost. btw... inbuilt GPS systems cost $2500+ in some marques. you can get an excellent portable device for about a 10th of that.

anyway, i doubt you'll be disappointed if you choose the XR5 Mondy. I also think after test driving the Titanium TDi that you will be impressed by that too. Both run similar numbers $$$ wise so really it comes down to whether you like the grunt & thrill of the 5 pot or the excellent economy of the deisel... bear in mind the XR only comes as a manual whereas the Titanium gets the excellent 6 speed auto. Decisions decisions...

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at

Last edited by mondo_broady; 03-04-2010 at 12:20 PM.
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 12:56 PM   #12
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

I'll say at the start that I am only interested in a 3-pedal manual, notippy-tronic thing even vaguely considered (showing my age and bias). These are my impressions of recent test-drives of XR5 and Mazda 6 only 10mins apart, over the same roads.
Dealers - both local Ford dealer salesmen displayed lack of product knowledge, Mazda dealer definitely knew his product (and the variations across the equipment levels.)
For what is it worth I have not driven a Mondeo TDCi - auto only...nah!!

Vehicles (XR5 Vs M6 Diesel Lux)
The Drive - M6 diesel manual I drove steered Ok and had a better feel gearbox than Mondeo, but Mondeo ride and steering seemed to me, far superior. Mondeo reminded me of my old/stolen 88 Prelude. XR5 has ooomph from low revs and feels like a bigger motor (early Hondas, V8s, old-style 6). M6 Diesel suffered classic turbo lack of urge below 1900rpm ('tho better than Audi 1.9 diesel I suffered for a weekend).
The Interior - apart from the obvious size difference (very esp. after XR5>M6 transition) felt far more opulent in the Mondeo than Mazda, reminiscent of our 87 Telstar TX5 Ghia (that just wore out ...). Instruments were better to use in the M6, I'm not taken by the Mondeo's focus on the colour screen for info.
The Price - close enough for XR5 and M6 Lux Sports not to make any difference.
The Equipment - XR5 is streets ahead. Revised M6 just coming onto market is stil playing catch up in this area.
The Quality - M6 probably better given track record, few question marks over Ford...Hmmmmmm
The Styling - (in my eyes) M6 is confronting , either love it or hate it. Mondeo is still basically conservative, with XR treatment helping it to stand out. Lack-of-notice factor will help with *not* being noticed when scooting around the countryside
The Colour Range - Mazda6 wins hands down. Seems Ford has supply problems gaining vehicles that are not black/white/grey for the XR5 range (it is not as if Ford UK/Belgium don't make them!!) - poor import decision IMHO.
The Winner (for me anyway) - XR5 Turbo, with a couple of reservations.
But it all comes back to what catches your personal eye, and the things important to you.